Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Tightly Unwound

• Start Topic

Some of the crew take notice of a group of attractive young women chartering the yacht; a miscommunication between the chief stew and the interior department leaves them uncertain; Capt. Sandy has an accident.

Airdate: 11/06/2023

Good grief these people are so toxic. Well, mostly Kyle and Natalya. And now Lara. I can't believe I liked her up until now but to throw Tumi under the bus to Natalya, she had to know she was throwing gasoline on a burning tire fire. I think Natalya is just so broken and so lacking in self respect she's redirecting her anger at her boyfriend at the closest possible target, and that's Tumi.

And then there's Kyle. I get why Bravo likes him so much. He's a bitchy queen who says "sassy" shit and is two snaps up and every other gay stereotype, he's practically their logo. He doesn't want to be on service to a bunch of icky girls so he stirs up Jessika telling her she should be on service and tries to put Tumi on the spot knowing this will stir up Natalya and then she goes running her mouth to anyone who will listen. Again. 

I did get a kick out of the guests calling Luka "Mr. Pearls." And I want a gif of Sandy falling on her ass. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 5

Once again, Kyle is the catalyst for the interior drama, even with an able assist from Natalya. I still think Kyle is worse—he’s the one who planted the seed that Tumi was dismissing Jess’ ability and he did so just because he thought being on service for this charter would be too much work—but Natalya is getting close. Kudos to Jess for actually asking Tumi what she meant instead of just taking Kyle’s or Nayalya’s interpretations at face value. Boo to Tumi for giving Kyle more to work with, so to speak. I would hope by now she would have realized not to tell him anything about anyone, because he will twist it to achieve max drama. I’m going to give Lara the benefit of the doubt—for now—that she didn’t realize the shit show she was feeding into.

• Like 16

Natalya is a venomous snake and Kyle is a little bitch. If the guests had been a goup of gay guys he wod have been glued to service not bitching about how he needed to go to sleep.

I had to laugh when Natalya said who ran this boat before Tumi came on board? Yeah she was acting chief stew for one charter and she cannot accept that she is no longer chief stew. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 6

I half-watched this, after DVRing it, and I thought is was so boring.

Natalya has too many issues, with her boyfriend who's holding her hostage by phone, with Tumi, who she thinks hates her (and Tumi probably does), with everything.  I wish Captain Sandy would have told her if she wanted to leave, go home and take care of your boyfriend.

Kyle is an awful person.  He's just playing all of this for fame.  He is a shit-stirring trouble maker, for the only reason of being a shit-stirring trouble maker.  He's clearly enjoying all of the camera time, and making the most of it.  I really, really dislike him, and I am not enjoying his antics at all.

Tumi seems to be a bit of a control-freak and is letting the "chief stew" title go to her head.  I find her to be condescending at times, and has an attitude of "I'm going to talk down to you before you talk down to me".  I get she experiences that in her life, but it doesn't mean you need to adopt that attitude, too - especially if you didn't like being spoken down to yourself.

I like Lara, Luka and the chef, that's it.

Max is a lazy asshole, the other deck girl (I can't even remember her name) is a ditz, and Jessika is just sort of there, in the background.

Never did and never will like Captain Sandy and her "positivity poster" quotes.

Not a great crew, in my opinion.

I think I'm out, unless I catch a rerun somewhere here or there.  

Looks like a lot of other people feel the same - so few posts on here about the show!  

I'll be watching Holiday Baking Championship, at least that's entertaining! 

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3

Yeah, I think I am done with this branch of the Below Deck tree. Can't stand Kyle or Natalya. Can't stand watching the drunken shenanigans during Crew Night Out. The pretty (Luka and Max...though he's a lazy sob) can't make up for the annoyances. And I hate Natalya's, Kyle's and Lara's accents. Sorry not sorry. Deleting this show from my favorites. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

Tumi seems to be a bit of a control-freak and is letting the "chief stew" title go to her head.  I find her to be condescending at times, and has an attitude of "I'm going to talk down to you before you talk down to me".  I get she experiences that in her life, but it doesn't mean you need to adopt that attitude, too - especially if you didn't like being spoken down to yourself.

I caught Tumi on WWHL recently and I barely recognized her from the person I adored on Down Under. Not sure if she's paranoid that everyone is out for her job or if the chief stew title has gone to her head but she came across as arrogant & dismissive. 

While Natalya and especially Kyle are more to blame for the current situation, I think Tumi has played a role in it as well. She came in hot after listening to Kyle and then continued to talk smack even after the reset/truce.  I guess I expected by now that she'd reflect on her experience and be a bit more contrite. Instead, in her eyes, everyone else behaved badly while she was perfect and treated unfairly.

Contrast that with Luka, who very quickly sussed out that they are all far more successful when praising Max rather the criticizing him. A true leader finds and utilizes different approaches to get the best out their people.

Tumi herself has seen how much of an asset Natalya can be when she feels valued (hello, Pirate treasure hunt), yet she publicly shares that she'd be happier if Nat left and acts surprised when Nat is upset by her comment, going so far as to double down on it when asked. That's a great way to lead & motivate your team...NOT. 

Completely understand why Lara told Natalya, I'd tell my friend if her boss was publicly talking shit about her too. Shocked that Kyle's lazy ass hasn't faked an injury/illness yet to get out of work. That's what he wants Jess on service.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Tumi caused some of this - when she reacted by fake laughing, she needed to follow that with "Oh Kyle, you know how much I need you on service this charter."

That way everyone would have known who she was laughing at.

Why didn't she schedule Jessika for breakfast service to show her support?

• Like 4

Sandy falling on her ass was perfect karma for all her seasons of phoniness. 

Never saw a bigger bunch of totally unlikeable people in one place. Bravo has to  be doing this by design, just to see how much we can take. BDM is just so unwatchable anymore. 

Someone should tell Kyle that white socks and black shoes do not look professional, but maybe that doesn’t matter, since it looks like he’s there only to just stir the shit.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Natalya has too many issues, with her boyfriend who's holding her hostage by phone

This seems to be a recurring theme now. BD down Under season 1, Magda couldn't tear hersef away from her phone because she and her boyfriend were calling each other nonstop to the point where she got the boot. Last season on BD Med. Natasha's boyfriend couldn't stop calling. This seems to have taken the place of the stomach virus chefs who ran off to puke and have diarrhea and return to the kitchen only to start cooking. This went on for several seasons. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, snarts said:

Tumi herself has seen how much of an asset Natalya can be when she feels valued (hello, Pirate treasure hunt), yet she publicly shares that she'd be happier if Nat left and acts surprised when Nat is upset by her comment, going so far as to double down on it when asked. That's a great way to lead & motivate your team...NOT. 

Sadly I must agree with this. When Natalya confronted her, Tumi pulled out the old "just because we hit a reset doesn't mean we are friends. We are not chums." That's pretty much the same thing Natalya said to her before said "reset." Way to throw that back in her face, especially when you should be taking the higher road and trying to keep your team happy.

• Like 8
13 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I half-watched this, after DVRing it, and I thought is was so boring.

Natalya has too many issues, with her boyfriend who's holding her hostage by phone, with Tumi, who she thinks hates her (and Tumi probably does), with everything.  I wish Captain Sandy would have told her if she wanted to leave, go home and take care of your boyfriend.

I like Lara, Luka and the chef, that's it.

Same here. Thank goodness I don't watch unless it's recorded and I FF through most of it. I don't mind Tumi and truly think she doesn't mean to come across rude. But Kyle and Nat are looking for any excuse to disparage her. Good on Jessika for only buying into what she has personally witnessed.

(Interesting why Kyle got so bent out of shape for saying Jess was green. He doesn't like being in Tumi's position, although he and Nat have set her up similarly)

I'm exhausted by how much Nat talks. It's unlike anything I've experienced, and I taught for years.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Sadly I must agree with this. When Natalya confronted her, Tumi pulled out the old "just because we hit a reset doesn't mean we are friends. We are not chums." That's pretty much the same thing Natalya said to her before said "reset." Way to throw that back in her face, especially when you should be taking the higher road and trying to keep your team happy.

Very true, but for Tumi to say that, I wonder if the show edited out how many times Nat has complained she wants to leave. I remember 2 shows ago Nat telling her boyfriend, "Just say the word, and I'll fly home tomorrow". Even her phoning her beau to say she kissed Luka, I think she was secretly hoping he'd order her to come home. Nat needs to move on from this guy.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Tumi behaving so different than the Down Under BD proves how much "scripted" by the production this show is. And when I say scripted I do not mean they give them lines to read (well, you never know) but guiding/pushing them on how to act.
I wonder if Bravo has chosen this BD franchise recent "format"  because they did audience research and this is what the audience wants or *they* think that this is what the audience wants.
There is this Bravo Con that took (or still taking) place and it seems that BD characters like Aesha are quite popular. I mean Aesha can open a hole in your brains with her voice, but she acts like a real decent person, away from pitiful shenanigans and juvenile love (hah!) stories. Maybe that is what the audience wants after all?

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I really do like Chef Jack.  Pleasant, talented, doesn't take himself too seriously.  But did I just see him TWICE lick or have a spoon in his, or Tumi's mouth, and then drop the spoon back into the bowl/pot from which he was tasting?   I just can't.  That's too much.  He's not cooking at home, for God's sake.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Chalby said:

I remember 2 shows ago Nat telling her boyfriend, "Just say the word, and I'll fly home tomorrow". Even her phoning her beau to say she kissed Luka, I think she was secretly hoping he'd order her to come home. Nat needs to move on from this guy.

Apparently she's been able to move on and land on her feet. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12653173/Im-stewardess-whos-worked-luxury-superyachts-world-starred-Deck-Im-earning-money-stripping-Playboy.html

Edited by rur
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, Chalby said:

Same here. Thank goodness I don't watch unless it's recorded and I FF through most of it. I don't mind Tumi and truly think she doesn't mean to come across rude. But Kyle and Nat are looking for any excuse to disparage her. Good on Jessika for only buying into what she has personally witnessed.

(Interesting why Kyle got so bent out of shape for saying Jess was green. He doesn't like being in Tumi's position, although he and Nat have set her up similarly)

I feel bad for Tumi with those two looking for a fight over anything.  I could not believe Kyle stirred the pot with the whole "Tumi doesn't think you are good stew, Jess" crap.  I am happy she went to Tumi and cleared the air. And I get the Tumi may not be warm and fuzzy with those two, but who can blame her?

Yes, Kyle had a meltdown, that appeared the guest heard too, about what he said.  He is so quick to repeat what someone said and not in the correct context (knowing it was not), only to stir shit between two cast members.  Then he sits back and acts all condescending toward those he stirred the shit for.  I really want to like him, but I can't.  

And he gets away with talking shit about their current guests because they are not men or gay.  What?  I know if I was in that group watching this back and seeing how much he tried to get out of serving me, I would be upset.  They were all very nice to him and not demanding asshole guests, but he could not be bothered with them.  And he started shit with Tumi and Jess about it.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, Chalby said:

Very true, but for Tumi to say that, I wonder if the show edited out how many times Nat has complained she wants to leave. I remember 2 shows ago Nat telling her boyfriend, "Just say the word, and I'll fly home tomorrow".

Any way you spin it, Tumi handled that very poorly. If her intention was that nobody that unhappy should feel obligated to stay aboard, she should have said so and showed some sympathy for what Natalya is going through. You know, just in case she decides to stay. But I think Tumi is sick of trying to placate Natalya and defaults to bossy when she feels disrespected. I get why she feels that way but it's not the way to lead a team.

6 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Tumi behaving so different than the Down Under BD proves how much "scripted" by the production this show is. And when I say scripted I do not mean they give them lines to read (well, you never know) but guiding/pushing them on how to act.

I see no evidence Tumi's behavior is prompted in any way. She has been very clear and vocal, both here and on WWHL, that she has spent a lifetime being condescended to and refuses to take it lying down. She is reacting based on her own life experiences. As for her previous season on DU, a.) she was not chief so she wasn't the boss, and b.) she behaved similarly when confronted by Jamie in the hot tub. She got her back up, even then.

I also fail to see why anyone would agree to portray themselves in a negative light and risk future employment. That makes zero sense. Nobody has ever gone on to become famous after being on Below Deck and they don't even get paid that much. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

I feel bad for Tumi with those two looking for a fight over anything.  I could not believe Kyle stirred the pot with the whole "Tumi doesn't think you are good stew, Jess" crap.  I am happy she went to Tumi and cleared the air. And I get the Tumi may not be warm and fuzzy with those two, but who can blame her?

Yes, Kyle had a meltdown, that appeared the guest heard too, about what he said.  He is so quick to repeat what someone said and not in the correct context (knowing it was not), only to stir shit between two cast members.  Then he sits back and acts all condescending toward those he stirred the shit for.  I really want to like him, but I can't.  

And he gets away with talking shit about their current guests because they are not men or gay.  What?  I know if I was in that group watching this back and seeing how much he tried to get out of serving me, I would be upset.  They were all very nice to him and not demanding asshole guests, but he could not be bothered with them.  And he started shit with Tumi and Jess about it.

I only really started watching this season from the marathon Tuesday, and I  caught on really quick that Kyle is the equivalent of an office gossip who only wants to start fights and then sit back and watch.

ONCE AGAIN, Cap’n Sandy shows her shit management skills. No boss would let stuff like this fester for as long as it apparently has. Her finger-wagging at Natalya and Tumi won’t solve this. They both know that “I’m going to put you both off the boat” is an empty threat.  She also needs to be keeping an eye on Kyle.

Whole damn boat is toxic — as is most, if not all, of Sandy’s charter seasons. You can bet that Lee Rosbach would be well aware of this bullshit and have his plane tickets at the ready.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

But I think Tumi is sick of trying to placate Natalya and defaults to bossy when she feels disrespected.

I know I would be sick of the backstabbing and stirring up trouble. Should Tumi always be the better person? Probably, but with Kyle and viper Natalya, I can't blame her.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, RoseAllDay said:

You can bet that Lee Rosbach would be well aware of this bullshit and have his plane tickets at the ready.

Well, there was plenty of toxic behavior on the OG, and Captain Lee never seemed to take action unless it was directed toward him.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

ONCE AGAIN, Cap’n Sandy shows her shit management skills.

I bet in a real boat with real sailors/stuff and with not TV involved Sandy would show more competence in this area. Here, she is just playing a role and feeds the motivational monster that is hiding inside her.
I honestly think one day, her chest will open (like in Alien movie) and a motivational walking poster will come out.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Well, there was plenty of toxic behavior on the OG, and Captain Lee never seemed to take action unless it was directed toward him.

Captain Lee was always "it's not my problem." There was horrible behavior at times, and the drama happening currently is not even close.

It does look like Kyle does his fake injury again from the previews.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I don’t dispute the toxicity, but I was thinking mainly of the tension between Kate and Leon, as well as among the deck crews. I think he was getting ready to can Leon when he quit. That’s what this mess between Tumi and Natalya reminded me of. The only time when he really wasn’t involved and should have been was with that reprehensible “bru crew” season, but all that drama mainly happened after hours.

Sandy seems to choose to ignore conflict as long as possible.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Like 1
On 11/8/2023 at 9:38 AM, NaughtyKitty said:

He didn't drop the spoon back into the bowl.  He clanged it on the side and then set it on the counter.

He didn’t drop the spoon in the pot, but to me it looked like he dumped what was left in it (after Tumi sipped from it) into the pot.

On 11/8/2023 at 4:36 PM, RoseAllDay said:

I don’t dispute the toxicity, but I was thinking mainly of the tension between Kate and Leon, as well as among the deck crews. I think he was getting ready to can Leon when he quit. That’s what this mess between Tumi and Natalya reminded me of. The only time when he really wasn’t involved and should have been was with that reprehensible “bru crew” season, but all that drama mainly happened after hours.

He did can Leon in the aftermath of the kitchen fire, but he asked him to stay and cook the last dinner of the charter.  Leon refused and left, leading to oysters a la grenadine and Oreo salad.

Edited by Mstk3000
Wrong word
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Well it depends on who it is. She always has her favorites. Mostly whoever kisses her ass and calls it ice cream. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
On 11/8/2023 at 1:58 PM, nokat said:

Captain Lee was always "it's not my problem." There was horrible behavior at times, and the drama happening currently is not even close.

It does look like Kyle does his fake injury again from the previews.

When he was made aware of something, or Kate complained to him, he took action.  But, like many of the captains, he had the excuse, at the end of the season, that he was unaware of the shenanigans.  (Bravo probably buys him noise-cancelling headphones so he can stay that way...)

• Like 1