Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: A New World

I thought the show was supposed to have back to back episodes tonight?

Some cool phone technology John had. So did he set it to record or did it record automatically? I also liked that it could scan the fingerprints on the key pad of the safe and determine the access code I'm assuming based on which keys had the most fingerprints. The flaw to that though is how would the phone know the order the numbers should be entered. Glad John took his fate into his own hands though, at least as much as he could.

I knew Sparks was full it. There's no way the alien would've let him side with the authorities and walk away. That said, why did he want to get back to headquarters? I guess we'll find out next week?

The astronaut was an idiot. There's no way he should've let a foreign spacecraft doc with his station without clearance from home base.

Glad someone tried to talk some sense into Molly about her "baby."  Though she's still acting like a nitwit by refusing to see that the entity she brought from space is likely not the scared little baby she's envisioning.

Ok I was confused by the last scene. Can someone explain? Was that Sparks wife dead/unconscious in a tunnel and the alien walking out into the world?

I'm with Molly. So the big conspiracy is  that Yasumoto wants eternal life. How disappointing. I'd think 140 years of living should be more than enough life to live.

Prosthetic guy hanging out at John's house, babysitting Ethan etc., like he's an old friend grates as much as Molly pontificating about her "baby." Someone should asked him why he's still there after 2 days? Speaking of prosthetic guy, what does he hope to prove by blowing up Ethan?

This episode was better than the ones last week, but the writing is still very uneven, which doesn't bode well for the conclusion with only two episodes left.

• Love 1

Seriously, a full two minutes of previously on 'Extant'.  Talk about padding the episode.

They still have Humvees in the future ?  Not even a new and improved version ?  Everything else about that security squad screamed top of the line, except the Humvee.

So, the little girl in the diner can project visions from the past while looking over her left shoulder.  What can she do if she looks over her right shoulder, see the future ?  For a minute there, I thought the little girl was a projection from the offspring.

That scene with Odin when he powers down E-than was badly done -- when he picks him up, Ethan's back panel should have still been open, but it was closed up and his shirt already pulled down over top of where the panel was.

How was Dr. Mason able to follow them ?  That seemed like a whole bunch of WTF only to have him shot and killed minutes later.

Oh noes, Evil Ron Butterfield has been abandoned by the offspring.  Only not so much.  Why is his hand shaking ?  Did he jump off a cliff in a tunnel and land in a playground somewhere ?

How was John Woods able to fabricate a fake vial of yellow goo so quickly before being caught ?  And they never searched him after he was caught red-handed at Yasumoto's safe.  That's some pretty shitty security there.

Prosthetic guy hanging out at John's house, babysitting Ethan etc., like he's an old friend grates as much as Molly pontificating about her "baby." Someone should asked him why he's still there after 2 days? Speaking of prosthetic guy, what does he hope to prove by blowing up Ethan?

Odin was Julie's date when John called her to babysit Ethan 2 days ago -- yet no one is suspicious that he's just hanging around, not even questioning why he hasn't gone home or gone to his job.  Now that the bomb is implanted in Ethan, he just needs to add a few buzzsaws and make him a humanoid Screamer (gotta love Peter Weller movies).

Distracting green screen used while they were supposedly driving…

That was noticeably bad.

So Katie is still alive? Or is she an alien now?

Maybe she made it into an escape pod, and escaped in cryogenic suspension -- but that would mean she is likely still pregnant with an alien.

Ok I was confused by the last scene. Can someone explain? Was that Sparks wife dead/unconscious in a tunnel and the alien walking out into the world?

E.T. is all grown up and gone walkabout.

And not to get all nit-picky with the science, but that shuttle would never dock with the rotating portion of the Seraphim station.  They would have to stop it from rotating to dock, which takes awhile and you could kiss your centripetal artificial gravity goodbye.  And once the shuttle was docked, they couldn't start the ring rotating again because it would be incredibly unbalanced.

ETA:  I knew I recognized that French astronaut before, played by Jimmy Jean-Louis, he was The Haitian on 'Heroes'

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

So, we learned about Yasumoto finding some yellow glop, which kept him alive in the cave. Yet once he was found, it seems no one searched the spot where he managed to stay alive for over a month?  He said he later went back for the ooze, so obviously no one did.  I find that very odd.

• Love 3

This episode had the highest level of WTF?s per minute of the series so far.

So that was Not-So Evil Chandler Bing on the floor with his throat cut? I thought Molly spoke to him in the hallway immediately before she opened the door to the next room? I was just starting to like Kern.

So Revenge Sensei is over a hundred forty years old, and he thinks he's made his peace with death? He seems ... vain.

Also, O-Ring Odin still strikes me as more pervy than revolutionary. I'm assuming that he wants to blow up E-than and Miss Gummer for their presumption in tampering with the natural order, or some such blinding stupidity. Also, nice line from Femi Dodd, Robot-Hater, that "people" find chess complicated. I assume also that Miss Gummer and E-than will take her out when they access E-than's Badass Protocols.

Don't die, Astronaut Victor!

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Jimmy Jean-Louis in space.  Yeah, nothing good is going to come out of that.  I can't ever trust the Haitian!  Enver Gjokaj better watch himself!  And, now Katie might be back, too?!  What the hell is going on?!

I"m not sure, but I thought Kern was still around Yasumoto's room and not Alan's, so I don't think he was the dead body.  I hope not, at least.  But, I remember him asking what Molly was upset about when she came out, she ran off to find Alan, and he seemed to be going in Yasumoto's direction.

I thought for sure we were going in a "Yasumoto is an alien, because that's how Hiroyuki Sanada rolls!" direction, but it seems that, instead, he found some kind of liquid that can make him immortal, but he's running low, and he thinks the baby can get him some more supplies.  Oh, Yasumoto!

So, Odin put some kind of explosive devise into Ethan?  Is he hoping Ethan will explode and not only kill himself, but maybe John too?  Can't see that show going that dark, so I'm guessing either John or Ethan himself, will discover that little trick.

• Love 2
I thought for sure we were going in a "Yasumoto is an alien, because that's how Hiroyuki Sanada rolls!" direction, but it seems that, instead, he found some kind of liquid that can make him immortal, but he's running low, and he thinks the baby can get him some more supplies.  Oh, Yasumoto!

That's two shows now that Sanada has played a character that is incredibly old, and kind of evil.

I'm confused about the immortality aspect of the yellow goo as well -- was the goo the decomposed remains of a dead alien inside the meteorite ?  If so, that's probably why it's hard to recreate, and why Yasumoto wants the offspring,

Yasumoto called the alien that the Aruna station found 'the Architect of Eternal Life'.  I'm kind of curious how the alien got to the Seraphim station, because it wasn't a mining station.  It looks more like an agricultural research station, so it really didn't have a reason to be anywhere near any asteroids.

ETA: The French astrounauts tell Sean that they found 'an ISEA mission craft'. But when they enter the Seraphim station, they are both wearing ISEA badges on their overalls.  I'm assuming the 'I' in ISEA means international, so what the heck ?  Aren't they all part of the same organization ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

So, the little girl in the diner can project visions from the past while looking over her left shoulder.  What can she do if she looks over her right shoulder, see the future ?  For a minute there, I thought the little girl was a projection from the offspring.

And not to get all nit-picky with the science, but that shuttle would never dock with the rotating portion of the Seraphim station.  They would have to stop it from rotating to dock, which takes awhile and you could kiss your centripetal artificial gravity goodbye.  And once the shuttle was docked, they couldn't start the ring rotating again because it would be incredibly unbalanced.

Hee at the little girl - I just thought it was a creative way to film narration, but make the kid have to say the dialogue. Your explanation is better! I did right away think though that the kid was a alien projection.

All the shuttle would have to do was to precisely match the rotation speed of the Seraphim before maneouvering to dock with the docking hatches. That can be easily done. In our own space program, the Shuttle would dock with the ISS, which orbits over 26000 km/h. For the Seraphim, it would also take rotating the shuttle to match the rotation speed - basically an additional directional plane.

I thought the show was supposed to have back to back episodes tonight?

The flaw to that though is how would the phone know the order the numbers should be entered. Glad John took his fate into his own hands though, at least as much as he could.

Glad someone tried to talk some sense into Molly about her "baby."  Though she's still acting like a nitwit by refusing to see that the entity she brought from space is likely not the scared little baby she's envisioning.

I'm with Molly. So the big conspiracy is  that Yasumoto wants eternal life. How disappointing. I'd think 140 years of living should be more than enough life to live.

I thought so too, that it was supposed to have back to back episodes, but when I went to set up the DVR - nope, one. So I guess they are extending the season a bit.

The phone technology was cool too actually, and it is something I can see John being able to program easily (or already had done). For the fingerprints, I am going to guess that it's something like reading the age of the dead skin cells or some other decay process. The finger leaves a print and whatever is in it - skin cells, oils, sweat, etc - would start to degrade. If a program can read accurately enough, you can read the "timestamp" on when the prints were made and how much has decayed, and figure out the order they were place - oldest to newest. You can also figure out the layers of prints too - if a number was punched twice.

Yes, I am tired of "My baby, my baby" but I will say that this show does talk logic. I mean, how many other shows so you have a character flat out say, "The being could be messing with us." Not many. And then, having Molly immediately go, "yeah, you're probably right." That's nice. But really, Molly. You carries the kid for a few weeks - you really cannot have that much of an attachment - unless something with the alien DNA is forcing it.

I thought the same about Yasumoto - that's it? That's why. His actions have literally killed fifty or more people, and for what? Just so your lazy death-fearing self gets a few more weeks? I think though he also had an alternate plan for eternal life for humanity - or maybe just those he deems fit. That goo also could make him LOTS of money. Imagine having the goo and offering this life-saving "medicine" to the masses. You know it would garner top dollar, so maybe it's a greed + cheat death scheme.

But at the end - did I get this right? The baby finally used what it could out of the Sparkses, and basically knocked out (or killed) Lady Sparks, then basically wandered off into the great void (i,e, earth?). My first thought - the aliens are planning an Earth colonization/takeover plan and they are testing the best way they can do it - interbreed with the humans so they can (for whatever reason) be able to live on earth.

For some reason, my theory is like a big mashup of X-files episodes and some other sci-fi I can't place....oh well.

• Love 1

Well, considering the show has mind-controlling aliens, fast-growing fetal hybrids, toxic immortality meteor juice, robot children AND invasion conspiracies, not to mention icky space body horror, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the show is cribbing from every other sci-fi movie ever.

• Love 4
I thought the same about Yasumoto - that's it? That's why. His actions have literally killed fifty or more people, and for what? Just so your lazy death-fearing self gets a few more weeks?

Yasumoto never did get back to explain what role his pregnant wife has to do with things.  And why he doesn't flashback to her after the baby was born.  Did she die in childbirth while he was trapped ?

• Love 2

I wanted to know what happened to Yasumoto's wife and baby too.  I notice he didn't share the eternal goo with them or he wouldn't have that fancy lady being his girlfriend now.    So much for true love and family.

• Love 3

ETA: The French astrounauts tell Sean that they found 'an ISEA mission craft'. But when they enter the Seraphim station, they are both wearing ISEA badges on their overalls.  I'm assuming the 'I' in ISEA means international, so what the heck ?  Aren't they all part of the same organization ?

They're from the special Snooty French branch of the ISEA. It's kind of like NATO that way. :-)

• Love 3

This show feels like it's just going off the rails now. Almost like they're starting a new show. Two more episodes are going to be a mess if they try to wrap this up logically.

Are we sure space station guy isn't having some kind of hallucination too?

Why didn't anyone ask Molly how she saved the baby in her hallucination?  That would have given them a clue of what the offspring is after.

I'm trying to prepare myself to be disappointed in the finale.

• Love 1

Are we sure space station guy isn't having some kind of hallucination too?

Why didn't anyone ask Molly how she saved the baby in her hallucination?  That would have given them a clue of what the offspring is after.

I feel certain space station guy's role wil be greater by the end. Enver Gjokaj is too good to waste in an extended cameo. Whether Astronaut Victor's having a snooty space-French hallucination or Katie's really alive, I don't know yet -- but I don't trust the Haitian, either. (Sorry, Jimmy Jean-Louis!) Some part of me wants to say that it's really Katie, and she somehow survived contact with the aliens. (Knowing how this show loves to pile on the sci-fi plot elements, probably because Katie has some until-now unrevealed psychic ability. ... What? It's pretty much the only trope we're missing.)

• Love 1

I kind of think space station guy is hallucinating. I figured that's why alien baby had Molly change the coordinates of the space station, moving it closer to Earth. He needed it closer so that he could create the hallucination. The question is why? What is he trying to do?

I try with this show, I try so hard. But I feel like all logic, intelligence, pacing, everything grinds to a halt every time Halle Berry shows up. I don't believe she's smart enough to do any of the things she's supposed to have done. And by that I mean Molly, not Halle.

And maybe it's because I reject this whole "my bebe" thing about an alien lifeform. Are you fucking kidding me? It's like in Prometheus when they all took their helmets off on an alien planet because the air seemed okay.

Goran is wasted on this. To my surprise I'm more concerned about Ethan's situation. Waiting for that Odin guy to make his move gave me the creeps.

I am going to try to watch it without letting myself be distracted by other things (not a good sign) to see if it's hanging together better than I think it is.

• Love 4

I try with this show, I try so hard. But I feel like all logic, intelligence, pacing, everything grinds to a halt every time Halle Berry shows up. I don't believe she's smart enough to do any of the things she's supposed to have done. And by that I mean Molly, not Halle.

And maybe it's because I reject this whole "my bebe" thing about an alien lifeform. Are you fucking kidding me? It's like in Prometheus when they all took their helmets off on an alien planet because the air seemed okay.

Goran is wasted on this. To my surprise I'm more concerned about Ethan's situation. Waiting for that Odin guy to make his move gave me the creeps.

With Molly, I'm opposite. I like seeing her not being a stereotypical hysterical character and I like that. She seems more thoughtful, logical and not so emotionally messed up. The only time she IS, is the whole "Must get to baby.' It actually seems a bit out of character for her to do that, actually.

Goran is wasted actually. I agree with that. They have made his character very weak at times. Also, I found it weird that he was like, "Molly, thank god your okay. Now, I'm outta here to get to Ethan." I don't know, just rubbed me the wrong way.

Forgot to comment on Odin - very slick man. I have a feeling he wants to blow up the lab. However, I have a suspiscion that Ethan will detect this "foreign" matter in his body and shut it down, as a self-preservation means.

• Love 1

As much as I appreciated the backstory dump we got from Yastumoto, I keep finding myself wondering what the bigger plan is. The caliber of actors the show managed to round up is wonderful, but the show has "killed" or underutilized them. There is also the possibility of "we couldn't figure out how to do things with these characters around, so they're just not going to be around' (see: Julie and now Sam, who would be a great resource for both Molly and John!)

I missed the apparent dance remix of the previouslies and the tippy top of the episode, yet I don't feel that I really missed anything other than mercs getting killed due to the Yastumoto/Sparks duo.

Who really believed Alan would abandon Illusion!Katie at this point, massive deaths or no massive deaths? He made sure Molly did The Offspring's bidding and had no remorse over the potential subjugation of the planet, so why would anyone who's stayed with the show this long believe that idea? Yes, I hoped Alan "woke up", but believe in that 180? No.

Meanwhile, Odin tries to secretly access Ethan’s circuitry.--Oh, CBS, you're cute. No, Odin didn't secretly anything, really. That's why there is a word for misdirection and a word for secret. Also, there is a word for lie. Misdirection and lie was what Odin did.Also "secretly access" implies that even Ethan had no idea. That is not what happened. Maybe "Odin tries to further his group's agenda without Julie's knowledge" would have been better? Not as short, but not wrong.

I am more invested in Ethan's story, which makes me wonder, again, about whether that is intentional on the writers' and PTB's part. Not that I don't care about Molly putting an end to the alien's rampage or John being happy about something for longer than a couple of minutes, but an eight year old childbot alternately ignored/treated poorly/lied to blatantly brings out the protective side in me and I want to shake Julie for ignoring Ethan! (Then I remember that she does things because of the script and sigh.)

As to the goo/not goo-- it was the honey on John's tea tray. There was a shot that had everything but a flashing arrow to the glass honey pot. I was thinking that Yatsumoto had poisoned or gooped-up the honey and didn't want John to drink tea with honey. John showed that he actually is smart by at least trying the gambit, imo! I almost forgot about my fears for John until the parking garage and grinned happily at the bluff/not bluff. (Could it be a Schroedinger's Bluff?)

I enjoyed the little girl's flashback because while it filled the basics in, it wasn't a talking head scene. It was Anya going off on the poor Diner Owner. Then the picture of the brown car was icing on the goofy cupcake of a scene.

As I asked  in the Under The Dome's thread, how would hi-def or Blu-Ray make this better, other than brighter, sharper picture? *g*

One down, two to go.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3
As to the goo/not goo-- it was the honey on John's tea tray. There was a shot that had everything but a flashing arrow to the glass honey pot. I was thinking that Yatsumoto had poisoned or gooped-up the honey and didn't want John to drink tea with honey.

Good one. Didn't catch that. He was looking down at that goo suspiciously (smart man), but I didn't make the connection it was the goo in the test tube.

And I've never seen "honey" like that before. That was NOT honey, unless its futuristic there are no more bees so we synthesize it honey substitute. Or something.

I wouldn't eat it simply because I wouldn't know what it was (and would think it was poisoned anyway).

• Love 1

I am completely over this show, and yet I continue to watch because of my compulsion to finish things that I start.  With the exception of Ethan, I don't feel invested in any of the characters or the story itself.  I can't separate Molly from HalleBerry and for some reason each scene that she's in feels emotionless to me even though I can see her face and mannerisms making a real effort to sell the character.  I find myself distracted by that observation and miss parts of the action feeling estranged from the story rather than drawn into it.  I'm not sure it's completely Halle's fault. Something is just really off about this show. 

One--of many--things I don't understand is why Molly and Yatsumoto are convinced the ba-by wants and needs his mother.  Obviously, the offspring is powerful enough to send bats or birds or whatever to warn Molly of danger, in addition to compelling Sparks into doing his bidding.  Why wouldn't Molly's ba-by then instruct Sparks to take him straight to his mother?  Yet, we see that ba-by has done exactly the opposite and is leaving her behind instead of drawing closer to her.  

Maybe I'm missing something, but the story seems so disjointed to me.

Edited by LoveIsJoy
  • Love 5

Who really believed Alan would abandon Illusion!Katie at this point, massive deaths or no massive deaths? He made sure Molly did The Offspring's bidding and had no remorse over the potential subjugation of the planet, so why would anyone who's stayed with the show this long believe that idea? Yes, I hoped Alan "woke up", but believe in that 180? No.

::raises hand sheepishly::

I kinda did, actually; but only because I remember Agent Ron Butterfield fondly, I swear! (Also: "dance remix of the previouslies"? -- ha!)

One--of many--things I don't understand is why Molly and Yatsumoto are convinced the ba-by wants and needs his mother. Obviously, the offspring is powerful enough to send bats or birds or whatever to warn Molly of danger, in addition to compelling Sparks into doing his bidding. Why wouldn't Molly's ba-by then instruct Sparks to take him straight to his mother? Yet, we see that ba-by has done exactly the opposite and is leaving her behind instead of drawing closer to her.

Right? I am glad that Molly is finally beginning to recognize, sometimes, that "her baby" may not be exactly as illustrated. Every time she was holding forth about how her baby needs its mother, I kept thinking, "Yeah, sure -- and if you're really lucky, that means he'll eat you last."

This show owes me the sparky, arc-lit offspring vs. childbot to-the-pain! slapfight that I've been speculating about since the first episode.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

Is it weird that Ethan is now the most compelling character for me in this show ?

I'm finding Molly's behavior hard to fathom. She saw the baby which is what she said she wanted and now ? she wants to keep it safe ? It seems fairly secure and independent already with the mass homicides it causes. The alien baby can keep itself safe. Molly can't keep herself or her other family safe at all. I have no idea how she plans to cope with a new addition to the family when she barely pays any heed to her other 'loved ones'.

John is either constantly oblivious to people's motives or snarking at people unnecessarily.

Odin's plan still appears to make no sense. What value would destroying Ethan or even the lab have? The technology already exists and even if he kills all the people involved in its creation it'll have no effect on remote military drones rendering the poetry of war obsolete. 

I'm thinking Species when I see alien rapid growth. Though I'm still waiting to see what the actual offspring looks like. Unless it's going to spend its entire life hiding behind illusions. 

• Love 3

And I've never seen "honey" like that before. That was NOT honey, unless its futuristic there are no more bees so we synthesize it honey substitute. Or something.

HalcyonDays, that's exactly why I thought something was hinkey with it. I don't think there's enough room on the show's plate to even nod at the vanishing bee population problem.

::raises hand sheepishly::  I kinda did, actually; but only because I remember Agent Ron Butterfield fondly, I swear!

Aw, Sandman, I didn't intend for you to feel sheepish! (Or anyone really.) I didn't watch The West Wing, so I remember Michael O'Neill as Ron Cheals in The Unit , but I feel ya!  Also:

This show owes me the sparky, arc-lit offspring vs. childbot to-the-pain! slapfight

As long as it bests Harmony/Xander, I'm there! (Money on Rabbit due to no pain receptors in his hands!)

Is it weird that Ethan is now the most compelling character for me in this show ?

No, wayne, it isn't. We have seen Ethan go through problems big and small, try to find his place and purpose, have trusted friends let him down and found him at the mercy of those who would harm him. While we haven't had bombs planted in our insides (I'm hoping), we in the audience can empathize with Ethan. We've seen him struggle to be a good, as well as "real", boy. He has been treated horribly and, as a result, we want some good for him. That's not weird. Having Pinnocchio in the middle of my SciFi suspense/horror story, sorta is. (When the SciFi suspense/horror is supposed to be the main draw, is what I mean.)

• Love 2

I've seen lots of honey that looks like that. Especially in the winter.

So the space alien is able to figure out what people would do anything to protect, and then manipulate them with hallucinations. Sounds a little bit like shopping mall advertising, but more sinister. So if the the NSA or Scully and Mulder were on the case, they'd know they just need to send in agents who have been predetermined to be unable to be hypnotized. I'm one of those people, and I'm just a librarian in my day job. Imagine if they sent ex-Navy Seals with that trait. But we really haven't seen any government intelligence involved, have we? Just corporate goons.

::raises hand sheepishly::

I kinda did,

Me too. But I had nodded off around then. Hmmm. Maybe I was hypnotized. Heh.

...Speaking of prosthetic guy, what does he hope to prove by blowing up Ethan?

I assume he wants to blow up E-than, John Woods, Julie, and the whole freakin' lab. Silly Odin. Would he rather have a hook?

And did anyone else briefly wonder if/why he was putting a Staples Easy button in E-than? Oh you props people, thought you could get away with that.

gr-easybuttonprod.gif

• Love 4

I've been MIA the last two weeks with a concussion. No TV, electronics, light... I cheated and watched this live Wednesday but cannot remember anything that happened even after reading all your comments. I'm not entirely sure that's due to the concussion, however.

• Love 2

I find it weirdly convenient that Miss Gummer forgets how territorial and protective she is about E-than (around "John Woods" and especially Molly) whenever O-Ring Odin is around. She barely knows him! He's more or less her stainless steel-lined booty call, and she lets him hang out alone with her precious even though he's putting out creeper vibes that Incomplete Lucy could pick up on.

It's also convenient that Charlie's never around (I don't think) whenever O-Ring Odin turns up to sniff around the lab.

Aaiiee, Rhetorica, feel better soon!

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I just realized that there is not a single character on this show I truly care for, or care about. The fact that no-one actually seems to care for anyone outside of how it serves his/her agenda isn't helping.

Molly is beyond sickening at this point. I swear, if I hear her say "my baaabee" one more time, I'm going to scream. Chic was pregnant for what, two weeks. She is acting like she experienced a full-term pregnancy, gave birth and cradled and cared for this "kid." She refuses to hear anything that doesn't fit with her delusion, and just like the Sparks and Yasumoto, she would see the world and everyone in it dead, rather than admit she is wrong.

Is Odin literally blowing Ethan up? with a bomb? That would make no sense. I thought he was making Ethan into a metaphorical bomb. Turn him into everyone's worst robot fear in order to make people too scared to continue with all that technology. Its a good thing Molly spent all that time teaching Ethan about the secret place inside of him, which will hopefully counteract Odin's dumb plan. Just like a god to blame problems on other things....not like the robots built themselves.

I can't really deal with Yasumoto being scared to die. There's legitimate and understandable fear of death and then there is really dumb plot device. Maybe it will turn out that this substance is making him act this way so that he could do the work to bring aliens to Earth.

Is Odin literally blowing Ethan up? with a bomb? That would make no sense. I thought he was making Ethan into a metaphorical bomb. Turn him into everyone's worst robot fear in order to make people too scared to continue with all that technology. Its a good thing Molly spent all that time teaching Ethan about the secret place inside of him, which will hopefully counteract Odin's dumb plan. Just like a god to blame problems on other things....not like the robots built themselves.

The device Odin implanted in Ethan looked like a small bomb-like device (that's what I thought, at least). For some reason, I figured he was going to detonate it when Ethan and the others are in the lab, thus destroying the lab, the other rebots, research, etc. Now I think he will try to detonate it when Ethan is in public somewhere, to show how "dangerous" and "deadly" Humanichs are.

I understand being upset that he lost his arm in the first place, but it's like saying "I injured myself in a car crash, so all cars are now evil and must be destroyed...". HIs anger is focused on the wrong thing, I think.

I confess, I too believed in Sparks's 180.  D'oh.

So that was Not-So Evil Chandler Bing on the floor with his throat cut? I thought Molly spoke to him in the hallway immediately before she opened the door to the next room? I was just starting to like Kern.

That was pretty confusing.  Was it actually just some other dude who looked confusingly like him?  Or did he get his throat cut by Yasumoto?  What was the door Sparks was trying to get into?

This episode was at least better than last week's.  I don't think it's possible for this series to become what it seemed like it had the potential to be around midseason, but maybe it can mildly redeem itself in the stretch run.

If you've ever carried a baby or had a miscarriage, it's not that hard to believe.

This, definitely.  And this wasn't a typical pregnancy.  She'd already felt movement with the baby.  Molly had experienced a miscarriage previously after fetal quickening, so it's not surprising that she feels this strong connection after another fetal quickening.  

• Love 2