Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The Roast

• Start Topic

"We are down to only 16 fucks a week!"
"We are down to just three." Wow, that IS bad! Poor Laszlo.

And man, poor The Guide. She's even lower on the pecking order than Colin Robinson. First Colin takes her Roast idea, then skipped at the Roast itself.

Love that Baron and Sean made it to the Roast. And oh no, The Baron knows that Guillermo's the one that fried him. (Thanks a lot, The Guide) It was great to see him menacing again. And now everyone but Nandor knows that Guillermo got turned.

Man, the big laugh I had at Baron getting burned AGAIN. And that the Gizmo he killed was the Koi Gizmo from last week. And all of its weird children went to live with Baron and The Sire.

Loved that Colin Robinson's roast was totally channeling Norm MacDonald at Bob Saget's roast, and screwing up The Aristocrats.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 12

I enjoyed this episode, I wasn't expecting it to veer from the roast.  I was laughing at the beginning when Nadja held Nandor's arm in sympathy in their diminished sex life with Lazslo.

I wonder if the promotion of the actress who plays the Guide is part of the joke of her character - where everyone ignores her even though she hangs around a lot.  I wasn't expecting for the Guide to spill the beans like that!  LOL at Lazslo using her dress to clean his hands.

It was smart of the guys to scheme to trick the Baron and Guillermo.  I was not expecting for Guillermo to roast him again! 

The Guillermo creatures are pretty creepy, it's not surprising that the Baron would enjoy them.

• Like 8
Just now, peridot said:

It was smart of the guys to scheme to trick the Baron and Guillermo.

Colin being the one in the sack was mad clever.

"At least he died doing what he loved: beating off in the toolshed."

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

The roast itself was great fun, but I was not predicting that it was just a set-up for The Baron to return and find out that it was Guillermo who actually roasted... err, fried him that one time.  While still comedic, I did love how you can see just how powerful he is and really none of the other vampires can touch him when he's on the warpath.  Doug Jones continues to be a treasure.  And then he gets fried again, but ends up not even bothering to go after Guillermo anymore: almost out of pity.  Plus, he's now got a whole bunch of Guillermo frogs or whatever the hell they are at this point to raise with The Sire!

So, almost everyone but Nandor knows the truth about Guillermo.  Really can't see how much longer he can hide this.  I doubt this will carry over to next season, but I wonder if he'll admit the truth himself or Nandor will find out in another way?

It was a small moment, but I agree that the bit where Nadja comforts/shows sympathy towards Nandor over how his and Laszlo's sex life has diminished was great.  As twisted as this group is, they are kind of healthy on other levels.

Even The Baron can't hate Sean!

• Like 8
12 hours ago, peridot said:

I was not expecting for Guillermo to roast him again! 

Ohhhhh, right. The Roast. Color me slow.

Loved Laszlo always saying, "Yes yes very good. Thank you." BTW, I noticed that Nandor spelled his name 'Lazslo.' I guess that's just like him spelling 'nolej.'

"For a couple of years, the Baron looked like if George Hamilton had
had sex with some pork rinds." Good one, Nandor!

Did we already know that if the Baron is killed then the rest of them will die too?

Doug Jones is so great. Of course I knew how fantastic he is when unrecognizable under latex and so forth, like in Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water, among many others, but he's equally good, if not better, when he's not covered under makeup. He's a fantastic comic actor.

I can't imagine what is going to happen when Nandor finds out about Guillermo. It sure was sweet when the two of them were talking around the coffin, with Nandor quizzing him to determine that he was the real Guillermo. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, peridot said:

I was laughing at the beginning when Nadja held Nandor's arm in sympathy in their diminished sex life with Lazslo.

I thought that was the funniest part. What a weird dynamic these vampires have with each other. 

So the running gag in this episode was that The Guide is unable to keep a secret. And now she knows Guillermo was turned by Derrick. That has to mean something.

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, I noticed that Nandor spelled his name 'Lazslo.' I guess that's just like him spelling 'nolej.'

He also spelled cheer up as "chear."

• Like 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Did we already know that if the Baron is killed then the rest of them will die too?

Yes, that's how they wound up digging the Baron up, because they were checking to see if that myth was real. So it's still possible it's not, but the idea was already out there.

For some reason, my favorite line was Nandor, when asked if Guillermo had gills and other fish parts, said sadly, "He never said. And I never asked."

• Like 9

Nandor was boss at the roast. So funny.

I don't have any problem with the Guillermo hybrids. I found Colin Robinson as a baby so much creepier. I love that the Baron was so delighted with them and took them home. That guy is hilarious. 

• Like 8

This is my favorite episode of the season thus far.  This is the first one that really went in surprising directions.  I loved the Baron being both funny and menacing.  Is he the first telekinetic vampire we've seen?  He made a great superhero landing in the front yard when they said they caught Guillermo.  Great burn make-up work as well - you could still see bits of jewels adhering to the Baron's shoulders.

The little bits with the hellhound crack me up.

Also, I liked that we got confirmation that Colin Robinson does have a few latent memories of Lazslo raising his reborn child self.

• Like 7

Yay, the hellhound! 

This season has just had all kinds of disturbing stuff: the familiar vet clinic, the Nadja/Colin mashup, the hybrids, the hybrid koi spawn...

On 8/25/2023 at 10:09 AM, sistermagpie said:

Yes, that's how they wound up digging the Baron up, because they were checking to see if that myth was real. So it's still possible it's not, but the idea was already out there.

Also why they freaked out when The Sire escaped. If anything happened to him ALL vampires would die (supposedly).

• Like 5
12 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Is he the first telekinetic vampire we've seen?

I don't remember things very well, but Guillermo did do a bit of telekinesis in one ep, IIRC.

Loved the Baron using the fire extinguisher on the hellhound's poop.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Loved the Baron using the fire extinguisher on the hellhound's poop.

So considerate! Though he doesn't also scoop it, does he?

Also, this is the first time I thought: wow, it really is a hellhound and not a regular dog they mistook for one! Regular dog poop doesn't burst into flames the second it hits the ground! All this time I really thought the joke was that it was just a dog and they in their naive vampire way thought it was a hellhound... and now they've taken that joke and paid it off in the opposite direction.... 

I love this show so much.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Is he the first telekinetic vampire we've seen?

Guillermo has (weak) telekinetic powers, and while Laszlo was working with him he seemed to be saying all vampires have telekinesis - which we really haven't seen much of on this show, so that was a strange addition. 

I'm tempted to say it's sweet that Nandor genuinely cares for Guillermo, but he and the others seem to care for him in the way one cares for a household pet. I think that's about the extent of their ability to care about anyone. Clearly they equate familiars with pets given where Nadja took him to fix his ankle.

And it doesn't really make sense that being turned by another vampire is some unforgivable insult to the master. Everyone including the Baron is saying how Guillermo threw away his chance to be turned by a great vampire like Nandor, but the fact is that Nandor never had any intention of turning Guillermo and everyone knows it. They were all laughing about the idea of Guillermo being a vampire just a few episodes ago.

The familiar "contract" is clearly a scam. They've made that pretty clear. It's the way vampires trick humans into servitude by promising to make them vampires after a certain amount of time. I can see where they would to discourage familiars from going to another vampire because they'd lose their servant that way but acting like it's some huge personal insult is kind of stupid.

• Like 4

I agree about them regarding familiars like pets and scamming them for servitude. But I think that the reason it's an insult to get turned by someone else is because it implies a lack of loyalty-- like an indentured serf escaping their contract. You can't allow them to think they are able to go elsewhere, because then they will do so for a better deal, and you lose your servant. Familiars aren't regarded as equals who have a right to "rebel" or go elsewhere. hey are property. You can't have property that has a will of its own.

But then they should have told Guillermo that was the rule, because it doesn't provide a control if he doesn't know about it. It's like a non-compete clause but without the person knowing about it. 

Actually, maybe they don't tell the familiar about the non-compete rule because it IS a way to test their loyalty. If they go elsewhere to be turned, you know they aren't loyal and you can kill them. They count on other vampires not to turn them, and to report them instead. 

Derek doesn't seem to be connected to the larger vampire community, so he might not have known, just like he didn't really know how to do the bite without making a mess.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I too had wondered if it was just a regular dog.

In the episode a couple of seasons ago where they showed the hellhound living in Nutley with Baron and The Sire, he barked at a squirrel in a tree and it was like a flamethrower. So he's always been a hellhound.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Jordan61 said:

In the episode a couple of seasons ago where they showed the hellhound living in Nutley with Baron and The Sire, he barked at a squirrel in a tree and it was like a flamethrower. So he's always been a hellhound.

That's what I get for looking away from the screen for a second. I totally missed that and the fact that The Baron was picking up the poop after dousing the flames.

• Like 2

It took me until literally right now to get the double meaning of the title. The Roast of Laszlo and the Baron being roasted yet again. 

*Smacks forehead and gives reluctant applause* 

I loved so much about this episode and the many wild turns it took, but I think my favorite little but was Nadja's sympathy for Nandor only being down to three fucks with Laszlo a week. Three

Always a pleasure to see the Baron, Doug Jones is great at being both funny and menacing. Not even he can hate Sean!

I'm truly impressed at how good of a Roast host Nando actually is. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 7
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

It took me until literally right now to get the double meaning of the title. The Roast of Laszlo and the Baron being roasted yet again. 

I'm not clear whether the Baron will regenerate after being burned all over. He didn't regenerate the last time he was fried. But they have established vampires in this world do regenerate to a certain degree. Like that "ex-vampires" cult where they pulled their fangs out every day because they just kept growing back. And Nandor's hair. And Guillermo's ankle seemed to heal itself too.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not clear whether the Baron will regenerate after being burned all over. He didn't regenerate the last time he was fried. But they have established vampires in this world do regenerate to a certain degree. Like that "ex-vampires" cult where they pulled their fangs out every day because they just kept growing back. And Nandor's hair. And Guillermo's ankle seemed to heal itself too.

Fanwanking here, but maybe the difference is that he was burned by sunlight which can actually destroy vampires. Might have special properties?

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, Galileo908 said:

Man, the big laugh I had at Baron getting burned AGAIN. And that the Gizmo he killed was the Koi Gizmo from last week. And all of its weird children went to live with Baron and The Sire.

I laughed out loud when Gizmo opened the door and fried him again! And that it worked out because now he can properly terrorize the neighbors when he walks the hellhound! I always enjoy seeing The Baron, The Sire and the Hellhound out in the burbs, and now apparently those mutants (They don't all make it. Flush). If they ever want to do a spin off this is ready to go.......

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Ah! Thanks. I remembered he was buried, but had forgotten about the Djinn. I guess that means the current status will endure, since there are no more wishes to reverse it. I just worry we won't see him very often, because that's got to be a rough make up job to pull off on a regular basis.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Nandor used one of his genie wishes to return him to his former glory.

Before then, he was buried in the ground after getting roasted the first time.

After being dug up, he was actually living in the NJ house with the Sire and the hellhound (in his crispy state) before Nandor restored him:  https://whatwedointheshadows.fandom.com/wiki/Baron_Afanas 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

You'd think Guillermo would keep better track on when it's morning rather than night. First time was understandable. Second time? I dunno. At least the Baron took it well . . . as well as he could. I can't even imagine the smell of burnt undead.

About vampires and telekinesis . . . would Nadja's yelling outbursts count in that area?

• Like 4