Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was listening without seeing the clues so I was guessing "septic" before I heard "flowery" as the description for the US soldiers' nickname and could not understand how that applied to doughboys. I had to go back to read "floury" for the pun.

I got Mystery, Hellespont, Canada, That 70s Show, elements, parchment, and Bloomberg.

I nearly guessed "How Deep is Your Love" even though I didn't think it was a "standard" but the very specific depths gave me pause.

Baffling that Ken needed a BMS for Browning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Baffling that Ken needed a BMS for Browning.

I know Elizabeth Barrett was (kind of) in the clue, but I guess to be consistent with the rule that if there are 2 or more famous people with the last name, they need the first as well? Except for all the other times they ignore it? I don't know.

Instaget FJ for me as well. I guess some of us get to trade in our doughnuts for breadsticks? See you at the Olive Garden! (Not really. I hate that place.)

I am curious to know what Phil thought Harriet Beecher Stowe's nickname was. Maybe he thought Twain saved her oceanside? (On the beech??) (Sorry.)

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do we think Davey is lying about his stories?

I had to go back and look at his stories, but yeah, surviving quicksand and falling from a second story window. 🤷‍♀️ My late FIL used to say, why tell the truth when a good story will do. We'll have to see what his story is today.

• Like 2
On 7/23/2024 at 11:56 PM, Cotypubby said:

Sad none of them knew Buster Keaton.

One of the best things about the film classes I took in college was that they introduced me to the work of Buster Keaton.  The other was that's how I discovered Jackie Chan's movies.  Not totally disparate things.

So glad Neilish is gone.  I do like the new champ although I hated that they didn't clear the board in DJ last night.

11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I nearly guessed "How Deep is Your Love" even though I didn't think it was a "standard" but the very specific depths gave me pause.

Me too.

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I know Elizabeth Barrett was (kind of) in the clue, but I guess to be consistent with the rule that if there are 2 or more famous people with the last name, they need the first as well? Except for all the other times they ignore it? I don't know.

The inconsistency with which they apply this rule is one of the most baffling things about Jeopardy's judging.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I had to go back and look at his stories, but yeah, surviving quicksand and falling from a second story window. 🤷‍♀️

Surviving quicksand is easy as hell, because it's actually extremely slow and nothing like on tv.  Just don't struggle.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Surviving quicksand is easy as hell, because it's actually extremely slow and nothing like on tv.  Just don't struggle.

It is the utter mundane dullness of the anecdote that convinces me that it really happened to Davey. One thing I don't need though is J! Archive styling his name as "Davey!" as they have done in all the responses to clues on both days.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

One thing I don't need though is J! Archive styling his name as "Davey!" as they have done in all the responses to clues on both days.

They always do that - if a contestant adds something to their name, the archive will write their name that same way.

I was watching in my mom's hospital room (following a successful surgery, and she'll be released today), so didn't keep track, but was amused by my mom's response to several TS, because she declared that after the long, stressful, painful, and then blissfully doped day she'd had, there was absolutely no excuse for a J! contestant to miss something she got --  The Ocean and twist had her yelling at the TV.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I said I don't know some kind of sloth for FJ.  I was a little worried when giant sloth was an answer because I didn't know if I could give that to me. But, then ti was wrong, so it didn't matter.

I got the missed clues of arm, cut and dried, Carol Burnett Show, pulse, cholesterol, and hubris.

I got the entire categories of crack and tick tock.

• Like 3
(edited)

Exciting game. I had no idea for FJ. My guess was like Davey's. Good for Rachel to know it. I said hubris in the nick of time. Also knew arm and pulse.

As sad as I am to not have new Jeopardy episodes, I'm sure Ken is happy to have a break. He's been working non-stop.  The dog was making noise, what did Ken say was starting on Monday?

Edited by Grizzly
  • Like 1

The season's final episode ofJeopardy!  was preempted at 7:30 by the Olympics here. I'm so glad that our local NBC affiliate was able to broadcast the repeat of Wheel of Fortune at 7:00, though. 🙄 😠

At least, thanks to The Jeopardy! Fan, I was able to come up with the correct FJ response so I didn't head into the off-season with a big goose egg hanging over my head.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Okay, why a BMS for the Curies and not the Obamas?  

And for this one 

The mysteriously named Ohio Clock has stood in the U.S. Senate for two centuries; here, it's adjusted for this for the first time in 1918

even though I may be  “that guy” who points out twice a year “well actually it’s daylight saving, not savings” I’m glad they accepted savings here. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 5
  • Fire 3

I did not get FJ tonight, although it was obvious after the correct response was revealed.

The TS I managed to get were head, arm, The Carol Burnett Show*, pulse, otoscope, and cholesterol.

*If you haven't ever seen that clip, here it is.  It's hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m glad they accepted savings here. 

Two things will always happen when a contestant says "savings" instead of "saving" for DST:  I will grumble at said contestant through my TV, and the response will be accepted.  And while I grudgingly agree the latter is okay, I would really like the host to say "We'll accept that; it's Saving". 

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, why a BMS for the Curies and not the Obamas?  

I wondered the same thing.  I know they have issued a BMS for "the Curies" before, because I always have to take a moment or two to remember his name, so if it happened in a vacuum I wouldn't have thought much of it, but happening immediately after accepting "the Obamas", I did.  Is there another famous Curie couple of whom I am unaware?  When I search "the Curies" on Google, they're the only ones who come up.

No one knowing that Caroll Burnett Show outtake was a bummer; I have that saved on my computer for when I need a laugh.

The pulse TS really surprised me.  As did it taking three tries to get Tokyo.

I came within three of running the entire first round, but I missed Abelard and Heloise in dates, Harry Potter in cracking up, and the spool TS in fishing.

I didn't come anywhere near that close in DJ, but still had a good round -- I missed three in canals and two each in I+4 and books, but ran the other half.

I had no idea for FJ, though.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said I don't know some kind of sloth for FJ.  I was a little worried when giant sloth was an answer because I didn't know if I could give that to me. But, then ti was wrong, so it didn't matter.

I said bat, then said oops! that's not an ancient animal, so then I said dinosaurs (even though I knew it would have to BMS) so when I saw the answer I kicked myself for not combining the two to guess the correct answer.

Long ago myself (the eldest) my 18 mo younger than me twins and another brother 18 mo. younger than them were walking home from school. One of my brothers slid into a little sinkhole that had opened up between the sidewalk and the street, the other brother had grabbed him and yelled for my sister and I (who had walked ahead) and we ran back and helped him out. This same brother once fell out of a window, 1st floor not 2nd, but he was fine. So if I had heard those those quicksand and window stories I would probably have believed them, but I always skip the interviews.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

My quicksand experience: I was walking along a river, near where it ran into the ocean. Suddenly my left leg sank above the knee in quicksand.  The ground to my right was solid, so I slowly rolled and got out. My main concern was keeping my left toes up so I wouldn't lose my sandal.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

July 26:

Watched at my parents' house so I just checked the archive (which decided to start working again today just in time for the last game of the season...I've had two Chrome updates pop up since it stopped working; the second was today and I hit the bookmark by accident a little while later and it worked!)

(Also, speaking of Mark Twain, my parents and I watched the 1973 movie of Tom Sawyer, presented by Readers Digest, featuring an 11-year-old Jodie Foster.)

77% / 73% / 74%

Not a bad game to end the season! In J I ran A Word from Your Doctor and A Thing for Feats, one in We Crack Ourselves Up, and two in A Date in History, Idioms & Expressions, and Also a Fishing Term. In DJ I ran Too Much of Something and Insta-Graham, missed one in Tick Tock, two in "I" + 4 and Face Books, and three in Canals. Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 8; DJ had 4 + 1 DD) I got arm, chum, pulse, otoscope, The Carol Burnett Show, cholesterol, and hubris (DD).

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

*If you haven't ever seen that clip, here it is.  It's hilarious.

I have seen it, but thanks for saving me a search to watch again.

23 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did but I was joking (to myself; I was watching alone). I did get it right.

• Like 2
Just now, Driad said:

How can we read Steve Babish's PhD dissertation?

They are all in the Library of Congress, I believe. You can probably just Google it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

As sad as I am to not have new Jeopardy episodes, I'm sure Ken is happy to have a break. He's been working non-stop.  The dog was making noise, what did Ken say was starting on Monday?

I just found the episode on YouTube that was preempted for me earlier today. Ken didn't give us much info to go on. All he said was, "We'll be back on Monday with some of our best shows of the season."

Add me to the list of people who don't understand the BMS for the Curies, after having accepted the Obamas for the previous response. 🤷‍♀️

Also, I was surprised that contestants would think that Seiko was a European watchmaker. I'm glad at least one of them finally guessed Tokyo. That was a bit of a head scratcher. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Driad said:

How can we read Steve Babish's PhD dissertation?

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They are all in the Library of Congress, I believe. You can probably just Google it.

According to their Collection Policy, the LoC should have it. I visited it a decade or more ago. DC is a great place to see, IMO.

Just looking on my phone at Google and Google Scholar, it doesn’t seem to be online, but you could purchase it here: 
https://www.proquest.com/openview/3ec5d10ecc6a8a5b803b047afde56191/1
Back in 2019 they were about $30.

But probably the best bet is to just ask him:
https://www.babi.sh/contact

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I was surprised that contestants would think that Seiko was a European watchmaker. I'm glad at least one of them finally guessed Tokyo.

Same. I had a waterproof Seiko in the 70s.

I knew no FJs this week, but even in my state of distraction and fatigue I got the season finale TSs of head, pulse, and cholesterol.
Maybe the contestants were pooped too?
If they appear on a Friday, they would have spent the entire day at the studio, right?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

According to The Jeopardy! Fan:

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts:

The final game of Season 40 features 2-day champion Davey Morrison against challengers Steve Babish and Rachel Bradley. Today’s winner will return on September 9; the intervening six weeks will feature encore presentations of the 31st Tournament of Champions and the 1st Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament.

When I was working on my dissertation in 1982, I went to the Library of Congress to see some dissertations that were of interest to me. It helped I live in the DC area. 

I finished the week with 2 FJs, the O.K. Corral and Molly Brown. Whoot!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I guessed pteradactyl, but was joking and laughing to myself because I thought it was wrong. And then it wasn't.

I got to play Romeo in a high school English class in-class dramatic reading (like Davey said: no rehearsal). This is what happens when your classmates are too shy to speak up-- you get to have the biggest role! And, as a female, in the 1970s, nobody thought I meant it when I volunteered. Ha ha!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

My take on BMS Curies---There is their scientist daughter (Irene?) and they wanted to make sure the contestant knew which (female) Curie it was, whereas the daughters Obama aren't well known (and obviously weren't alive in 1989) and therefore no BMS is needed for the Obamas. Not that I'm saying I agree with the need for a BMS in either case.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I'm sure the Curie BMS had to do with the daughter (Irene) and son-in-law (Frederic) also being noted scientists, albeit not quite as famous. Irene and Frederic also won a Nobel prize, as did the husband of Irene's sister, Henry. Marie, Irene and Frederic all died of (likely) radiation poisoning, sadly.

I did not get FJ. I was happy for Rachel, although the opportunity for nerves to build up in the next few months will likely not favor her.

I don't watch Jeopardy reruns, so I'll be back here once the new season begins. Happy rest of the summer, everyone!

• Like 6
On 7/26/2024 at 7:35 PM, Katy M said:

I said velociraptor, then went "D'oh!" when pterodactyl was revealed as the correct answer because 'dactyl' is from the Greek for finger.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:07 AM, ProudMary said:

Add me to the list of people who don't understand the BMS for the Curies, after having accepted the Obamas for the previous response. 🤷‍♀️

You're expecting too much when you ask for consistency on rulings requiring BMS for names.  They are the very definition of inconsistency.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:07 AM, ProudMary said:

Also, I was surprised that contestants would think that Seiko was a European watchmaker.

They were probably like me, thinking "watches = Switzerland" and not realizing that Seiko was an Asian sounding name.  It didn't help that I know nothing about Seiko watches and wouldn't have guessed Japan anyway.

• Like 1