Type keyword(s) to search

S02.09: There Goes The Neighborhood

• Start Topic

On 8/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, JeanJean said:

Also, I don't really remember any musical moments from the two iterations of the show (although wasn't Big into "NY State of Mind" in the Suffern episodes?) but I loved them playing "I Feel Pretty." 

Remember when Big sang “It was a very good year”?  At a restaurant with Carrie.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’ve been through both. Menopause didn’t make me constantly sleepy, only the first trimester of pregnancy did that.

Same, more with the first pregnancy than the second for some reason.   But not so sleepy that I fell asleep while getting dressed.   Menopause makes me exhausted but unable to sleep (hence the exhaustion ).  YMMV

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Same, more with the first pregnancy than the second for some reason.   But not so sleepy that I fell asleep while getting dressed.   Menopause makes me exhausted but unable to sleep (hence the exhaustion ).  YMMV

First three months of pregnancy there was not enough sleep in the world, I fell asleep anywhere and everywhere.  Menopause makes me tired as well, falling asleep is easy but staying asleep is tricky almost every night.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

First three months of pregnancy there was not enough sleep in the world, I fell asleep anywhere and everywhere.  Menopause makes me tired as well, falling asleep is easy but staying asleep is tricky almost every night.

I slept fine during pregnancy, I wasn't super tired but managed good night's sleeps. Now at my age, it is the same, I can fall asleep so fast but wake up several times in the night and not just to use the bathroom. I also have gotten to the age where I don't need my alarm to wake up by 5! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

When Lisa was sleepy all the time, I assumed cancer. Not real cancer, but tv cancer, with a couple episodes of “you brave thing”, one inconvenient chemo puke, some fashionable baldness, and then cured.

Unintentional pregnancy for people with their level of social smarts just seems dumb. I would expect that people at their age who are career-driven and already have three kids would have done something permanent. I don’t know any couple over 40 that hasn’t had a vasectomy (80%) or tubes tied (20%). Nobody just carries on having sex hoping they’re don’t get an oopsy pregnancy. ::eye roll::

• Like 5

Of all the ridiculous writing on this show, Che and Carrie being best buddies strikes me as even less likely than Aiden and Carrie being together.  At least Carrie and Aiden are having great sex!  I can't see anything Carrie and Che have in common.  Che is coarse, crude, unattractive, and has no interest in fashion.  I only assume CN wanted Che to stay on the show, and couldn't find a more realistic plot to make it happen.

p.s. I love that people refer to the "writers" as the typists!!!

• Applause 4
49 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

Of all the ridiculous writing on this show, Che and Carrie being best buddies strikes me as even less likely than Aiden and Carrie being together.  At least Carrie and Aiden are having great sex!  I can't see anything Carrie and Che have in common.  Che is coarse, crude, unattractive, and has no interest in fashion.  I only assume CN wanted Che to stay on the show, and couldn't find a more realistic plot to make it happen.

I believe Che was intended as perhaps a substitute for Stanford.  A minor role, like with Anthony.  A peripheral pal for Carrie who was not one of the girls and could give a different perspective about a different identity every now and then.  Not one of the leads.  Then CN intervened.  Maybe if they’d gone with the original plan we could have seen more early interaction with Che and Carrie during the first season, with the podcast.  Now the character, who had been elevated to a main with the Miranda romance, just seems like one of Miranda’s castoffs who is still hanging around for some reason, a superfluous main character, and so the writers have retconned this Carrie friendship for us.  But they didn’t put in the work to make it credible.

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 8/13/2023 at 10:11 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Aiden in the Under-roos, he comes out of the bedroom asking who is at the door, was he going to open the door in his Superman Under-roos? It was not a good look on him, there are many options for men in the underwear arena, even a different color briefs would have been better.

Lily sleeping with Napolean Dynamite would never happen without Charlotte knowing because how else would Lily get condoms! Seriously, Lily has a lot on the ball, has goals and sleeps with someone who has not drive or even a smattering of goals. College may not be for everyone but a trade school maybe? Culinary institute, something?  Harry saying that Lily could do worse in regards to her marrying Napolean Dynamite, really a kid with no direction in life...I think Lily could do better without even trying.  Also, what is it with the coats they put the men in, last time it was the para military coat for Aiden and now we see Brady in that awful over pocketed pull over sweat shirt, so bad.

Superman underoos and Napoleon Dynamite! I'm dying over here 😃 100% accurate.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Seems odd to not see Steve and Aiden re-connect, being good friends? hopefully next week.

And is harry still working? on way to retiring? he doesn't seem to mention work much

I predict Miranda will lease the flat - seems sensible to do that for a year and not sell it - not like Carrie appears to need the money from a sale.

it seemed odd for Anthony to mention stanford as still around, and not divorced yet - i was thinking he may have a ED issue like Trey did and thats why he didn't want to invite the young man upstairs.

• Like 2
On 8/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, T Summer said:

because she quit her job in anticipation of becoming pregnant and  removed the duck decoys and plaid  from the apartment and added a dust ruffle and wallpaper (which she likely didn't lift a finger doing herself, except to dial the phone)?

It speaks volumes about what a snoozefest this show is, that this is what I am latching onto, but Charlotte actually claimed the new beds didn't need a dust ruffle.  It was Bunny who said no dust ruffle is "unsightly!"  😄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 8/16/2023 at 2:31 PM, MBayGal said:

It makes me think of monkeys and typewriters only they ain’t coming up with Shakespeare…

On 8/16/2023 at 5:04 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Same here. First trimester I’d come home from work and have to crash for an hour. During menopause I’d wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep for a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, luna1122again said:

Haven't seen yet but oh no. The tighty whities are back? After I just was happy to see last week that Aidan was wearing black boxer briefs? Why? Those are deal breakers, even if you're as attractive as JC. For me, anyway. 

Was Brady not at Lilly's piano recital thing the night Big died? I can't remember. 

Lilly's sort of boyfriend who she slept with dumped her. 

A kitten!!? 

Aidan (I looked up the spelling because I've been confused) is an attractive man in great shape, but I don't want to see any man on screen in tighty whities. Just... no.

Carrie even managed to say something nice about her departed husband when the guy at Herbert Wexley's party asked her if her divorce was as bad as his.

I thought this was a sweet moment and wondered if it was foreshadowing. Will Carrie realize she may have been retconning saying Big was a mistake? 

One thing I've noticed about SJP. It's all about her hair. I thought she didn't look her best in the scene where her hair was up. It wasn't as flattering to her features. But in the scene near the end in the pink and black dress and beret, she looked fantastic! 

I like the Wesleys but they don't seem integrated into the show. There also aren't enough scenes of the girlfriends out together, all of them. That's what I liked best about SATC. It's missing on this show. 

Speaking of foreshadowing, is that what was going on with the scene of Carrie and Aidan's ex? 

On 8/10/2023 at 11:20 AM, ruby24 said:

Is it weird that Charlotte is this okay with Lily sleeping with multiple boys already? This casually?

I don't know, I feel like she ought to have given at least a little more guidance about it, she's only 16, right?

Agree. I know it's a liberal show but gosh... this is a little much for me. 

These shows with the super loud sex scenes. Realistic or a comedy trope? Would someone really do that knowing their friend was in the next room? 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 3
On 8/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, slowpoked said:

This. I get that she got Big's money - still, that much money where she can just buy apartments with no consideration to prices, mortgages, etc.?

And out of all the ladies, even back during SATC, Carrie's charmed life has always been a question mark to me. I mean, it's easy to see how Samantha and Miranda can afford their lifestyle, and even then sometimes they complain they can't afford some stuff. From what I remember, Charlotte was a WASP. But except for some rare instances here and there of struggling to afford to buy shoes (shoes, mind you, NOT food, NOT those brunches they have regularly, etc., not to mention clubs, drinks, etc.), and that one time she was forced to take a bus, Carrie never showed any struggle for a weekly tabloid writer. 

Carrie was golden on SATC and is the same here. I remember how some of us used to snark about every man Carrie met instantly falling for her. It was over the top. Now they seem to be doing something similar, except it's more about Carrie having unlimited money. She's never been known for her work ethic. Things (and men) just fall at her feet. 

s it just me or is Aiden just completely obnoxious all the time? I just can't see Carrie being happy with someone who is so constantly extraverted and over the top, I just don't see him fitting in with the kind of people she socializes with.

I noticed this too, especially at the dinner scene with the director. He almost seemed drunk. I don't remember the old Aidan being so amped up. He struck me as more chill. I prefer the previous version. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 3
On 8/13/2023 at 3:18 AM, Rebecca berkowit said:

I think, unfortunately, that Lisa is indeed pregnant.  Why?  The hack writing.  She was super super tired, to the point of randomly falling asleep while dressing herself.  Whenever they show that on Tv, the character is usually pregnant.  Or when they show nausea/vomiting/fainting.  Pregnant.  People on Tv never just notice a missed period and take a test, like the rest of us.   (That symptom shows up first and is a pretty good indicator).   They just go about their business until the vomiting starts.  Then it dawns on them.  This is a weird TV convention I hate.  I get why they do it, it makes it more dramatic.   They wouldn’t have written her being so, so, tired if they didn’t intend for her to really be pregnant, by the laws of hack Tv.  

Excellent point!

On 8/11/2023 at 9:04 PM, Norma Desmond said:

I did not need to see John Corbett in his tighty whities

I didn't either! Wonder though... what is it about them that is so hard to look at? I was watching the new Justified the other day and they kept showing the male character in tight whities. He has a pretty good body (as does John Corbett), but I can't stand to look at him in these scenes. And there are multiple ones! 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

I didn't either! Wonder though... what is it about them that is so hard to look at? I was watching the new Justified the other day and they kept showing the male character in tight whities. He has a pretty good body (as does John Corbett), but I can't stand to look at him in these scenes. And there are multiple ones! 

I associate tightie whites with a style of undergarments for little boys- not adult men, so that’s the turn off for me. 

• Like 6
On 9/2/2023 at 7:30 AM, Sweet-tea said:

I noticed this too, especially at the dinner scene with the director. He almost seemed drunk. I don't remember the old Aidan being so amped up. He struck me as more chill. I prefer the previous version. 

Aidan was more chill in SATC. Maybe this new iteration is like Steve being suddenly a doddering old guy. Aidan is amped up in his "old age". I also wonder how close filming of his appearances on this show were to filming "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3" (MBFGW3). In the brief scene or two where he's in the film's previews he seems exactly the same as he does here. (Though I guess the character Ian was also pretty chill.)

When this series began I felt like the actors were having a hard time capturing their characters' personalities again. Maybe the same with John Corbett, he kind of forgot how he played Aidan before and followed whatever the director indicated or how he thought he should play it, resulting in a more amped-up Aidan.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, Surrealist said:

I was wondering if Lisa thinks she's pregnant, but is actually going through menopause.

I wondered that as well, but then I thought that was too much like so many 70s/80s shows with the menopausal woman mistakenly believing she was pregnant. If it isn't a trope, it should be.

• Like 1

Do we know how old is Lisa supposed to be? Nicole Ari Parker is a gorgeous, flawless woman and LOOKS young enough to have a baby, but she is 52. I would think menopause would make more sense than pregnancy, right?

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 1
On 8/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, Cosmocrush said:

But beyond that, cats (and pets in general) are work/ responsibility.  You can’t just jet off to Paris, or Virginia, and leave them behind for the weekend.  They need to be fed and walked and trained and cleaned up after. No everyone is willing to take that on.  

Pets do require a committment. That being said, cats (once they're old enough, and don't need medication) can typically be on their own for a few days with enough food (dry) and water available. So if someone wanted to have a weekend away, that is possible. Also, don't forget pet sitters! A person can have a reliable friend or paid sitter to take care of the pet. 

• Like 1