Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E06: Hometowns are the perfect place to find love!

• Start Topic

I am finally here for the live chat!! Just in time for hometowns.

Oh, no. Last week Xavier was only just preparing to consider falling in love, but Aaron can’t even say “love” hypothetically.

• Like 4

Charity meets up with  Aaron first. " Welcome!" she greets Aaron in his home town of Houston.

His family looks nice. They are fixing fried frog legs and catfish, a pasta dish and green beans.

• Like 2

What would you do if you met the parents for the first time and they served you frogs’ legs? I guess you would have to at them?!?

ERA: Where does one even purchase frogs’ legs? Anyone with a local supermarket or butcher that has them?

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 2

Sign above the kitchen door: Ethel's kitchen - Keep Out!

2 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

What would you do if you met the parents for the first time and they served you frogs’ legs? I guess you would have to at them?!?

The frog legs better have a good sauce to distract you from froggies!

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

Aaron has a very sweet family! No wackos in this bunch. I’d even eat those damn frogs legs for these people. If the family has any influence in making or breaking the relationship, a million bonus points!!

Aaaand he says he’s falling in love with her!! Okay, Aaron just pulled way ahead from where he was before this date. She’s even crying!! Or maybe sweating? But I’m going to assume those are tears running down her cheeks as they’re dancing.

• Like 5

Aaron has a nice family. After meeting the family, they go to a football field and sit on the 50 yard line. I think it's his high school's football field. Definitely not the Texans' field. There's music and they dance.

• Like 1

Now it's Joey's turn. They are definitely not in Hawaii. And their date is playing tennis!  Charity's never played before. And she almost clobbers Joey with a powerful shot!

• Like 2

So Joey's uncle is Uncle Joe, who's moving kind of slow, at the Junction! (Boomers, what words come next?)

Charity's at Joey's house. Another nice family. Joey looks like his mother. She expresses concern about him getting his heart broken.

Now he's having a heart to heart with Uncle Joe. Uncle is asking the tough questions. He says he felt uneasy at the tennis court as though Joey was not being himself, but instead, the person he thinks Charity wants him to be. Joey can be a people pleaser, Uncle Joe tells us.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Charity says she’s without a doubt falling in love with Joey and she wants him to know she’s there 100%!! 

Both mom and Uncle Joe are thinking Joey’s not being his true self! Uncle Joe says they’ve been down this road before. So is this why Charity thinks he’s perfect for her because he just reflects back whatever the woman wants, like a tennis volley? So if Charity was worried about the other guys repeating the negative patterns of past relationships, apparently this is Joey’s negative relationship pattern. Oh, boy, he even tries to be who his uncle wants! Is this why he became a tennis pro?! He probably isn’t even named Joe—changing his name from Kyle to be like his uncle. 

Charity is crying again. But they don’t seem like happy tears like with Aaron. She was prepared to tell him she loves him but did not. Uncle Joe got into her head.

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

Is this game, set, match for Joey as the next Bach? I liked that he kissed her on the cheek at the end and felt the vibe of her being upset. Felt like a genuine moment compared to everything else. 
Yay, knitting with X!

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 6

Time for Uncle Joe to ask the hard-hitting questions. But she gets her question in first. Do you think Joey's ready for marriage? she asks. Uncle J shares the concern that Joey is trying to be the person she wants him to be. Charity says she's never felt he was not being himself. 

Joey tells Charity he's falling in love with her.

Inner turmoil: Charity was going to tell Joey she's falling in love with him, but she doesn't.

I can't but wonder if Uncle Joe doesn't want Joey to marry a black woman. He's never going to say it, but he's kind of Iago-ish in planting the doubt seed in both Joey and Charity.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

So Joey's uncle is Uncle Joe, who's moving kind of slow, at the Junction! (Boomers, what words come next?)

Charity's at Joey's house. Another nice family. Joey looks like his mother. She expresses concern about him getting his heart broken.

Now he's having a heart to heart with Uncle Joe. Uncle is asking the tough questions. He says he felt uneasy at the tennis court as though Joey was not being himself, but instead, the person he thinks Charity wants him to be. Joey can be a people pleaser, Uncle Joe tells us.

Petticoat! Junction!

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Now Charity is in Cleveland, meeting Xavier. They go to a yarn store!!! And Charity's going to learn how to knit! Xavier says he likes to knit when he comes home from work all tense. There's another guy there. He says he was knitting a scarf for a girl, but by the time he was done she had a boyfriend!

Charity seems to have picked up on the knit one purl two. I've tried knitting. Crocheting is much easier.

Yuck, that Meg2 commercial.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I can't but wonder if Uncle Joe doesn't want Joey to marry a black woman. He's never going to say it, but he's kind of Iago-ish in planting the doubt seed in both Joey and Charity.

Nailed it!

• Like 2

Xavier is making my list of top contestants of all time. I normally don’t really care who gets the lead spin-off, but I’m about to write my local congressman or something to lobby for this man! The brains! The brawn! The knitting to relieve the stress of pursuing his PhD! He’s the perfect combination of sexiness and nerdiness. He’s falling in love with her! Yes, now he can go on to become the lead, as having your heart broken on your original season is a prerequisite.

• Like 16

On to Xavier's parents' house. They enthusiastically welcome Charity. Xavier confesses he wants to fall in love with Charity.

Very nice family and conversations. Xavier tells Charity he's falling in love with her, and she immediately reaches up to him and kisses him. He's my favorite guy. I like Charity, too, so I want this relationship work.

On to Dotsun!

• Like 5

In Fresno now. Dotun's parents won't be there. But the grandmas are. Grandma is really peppy.

And then surprise! Dotun's parents show up through a gap in the fence. Dotun says his mom is critical. And she hawls Dotun off to question him. She wonders if he's really in love with Charity. Dad tells Charity that Dotun is ready for marriage.

Now his mom interviews Charity. She says if Charity and Dotun get engaged she will whip Charity off to Nigeria to have the wedding there.

• Like 3

Grandma is “a whole vibe and a half.” The parents flew back from Nigeria just to meet Charity?!? (And/or maybe to be on TV!) Mom is nailing down where Dotun is on the love continuum; it’s “falling.”  Charity is crying with Dotun’s mom. She’s getting a big, Nigerian wedding, like it or not! Going to a  drive-in movie is a direct sign that they’re meant to be together. And if that wasn’t direct enough, the fact that they’re playing Dotun and Charity’s life in pictures is an even bigger sign! Okay, Charity has cried on every single date, but if the amount of tears mean anything, this is by sure the largest amount of tears by volume!

• Like 6

Charity is falling in love with all four men! She was beaming talking about three of them but showed trepidation when talking about Joey—or, more specifically, his Uncle Joe.

• Like 5
(edited)

Now the guys are showing up for the rose ceremony at the airport. First comes Dotun, then Aaron, then Xavier. Now Joey.

I think Joey will go home tonight.

Of course all the concerns about Joey could be a big fakeout.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Like 2
(edited)

Dotun gets the first rose.

Yay, Xavier gets the second rose.

Joey gets the third rose. Yep, show was misleading!

Good-bye Aaron!  At home Brayden pumps his fist and says YES! as his earrings dance and sparkle enthusiastically.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 5

I was really expecting Xavier to be sent home—and swept right into preparing for his Bachelor season. I’m torn. I’m glad we get more Xavier, but they usually go with F4 as the lead. He better not make it to top 2. I guess if he wins and they really love each other, okay. But I think it’s Dotun all the way for her.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

with Aaron, all charity's talk about "needing to get back to where we were" was a sure sign that there isn't any there there anymore. He's just there because she needed four.

Totally agree.  He was better than Tanner or Sean but she still wasn't really feeling it with him.  I know Rachel got a lot of flak last season for going to NJ and then telling the guy she didn't want to go to his house but I think that's better than going and pretending to the family that there is something there when there isn't.  I think they should just be allowed to go down to two or three if that's who they're really choosing between.  Aaron's family seemed so nice and now they just look dumb because they thought they really saw something there when in fact Charity had already checked out of the relationship.  

I think Joey was her F1 but his family really messed with that.  I don't think she really felt as "embraced" by them as much as Joey made it seem she would be.  His sister was super nice but his mom seemed weird (maybe too many drinks?).  The uncle was just there to sabotage the whole thing, he probably just views the whole show as a scam.  Of course, Joey might be acting a bit "different", he's had cameras in his face for the past month.  I see so much chemistry and friendship between these two.  She just truly lights up around him but I think between the uncle and the race issue, he might be dead in the water.

• Like 5

I don't see any spark between Joey and Charity. She said she wanted to tell him she's falling in love with him and I was very confused. Part of it is that I find Joey bland. He reminds me of Brendon from Tayisha's season. Just blah. 

I think she lights up around Dotun in a way she doesn't around the others. It's really sweet.

I'd take Xavier in a heartbeat -- great looking, smart and he knits. I'm in!

• Like 9

I thought charity's rose ceremony dress was unflattering with that below the cleavage insert that looked very cheap.

I hate her talons. Who wants to go through life with those things on the ends of your fingers? Apparently lots of women.

why did this take place in an airplane hanger? Are they all going to hop in the plane to fly to Fiji (?) It would have been cruelly amusing if they got on the plane leaving Aaron standing in the empty hanger. There was that two-on-one date with Olivia who got left behind on the rocky shore which was kind of funny. You can tell I don't take any of this terribly seriously.

• LOL 5

I was baffled as to why Charity wore heels, and yes clunky ones, everywhere including scenic parks by the water or in woods, and even on a tennis court! She was always dressed for cocktails.  Luckily she had a tennis outfit waiting for her on the Joey date.

• Like 4

Ouch, Uncle Joe just about ruined Joey's shot, things were going great until he got into Charity's head about not knowing the "real Joey" which led to her having doubts. I really thought that he was going home but of course the show was just messing with us, sorry Aaron. I like Aaron but he is probably the least memorable of the final four. Its to Charity's credit I think that all of her final four seem like good guys, none of them seem like obvious Wrong Reasons or just a dud.  

I would be happy with either Xavier or Joey as the next Bachelor, especially because I think that Dotun is the front runner. She really seems to glow around him, her body language always seems to relax when she's around him. His family seems like a lot of fun, grandma really is a whole vibe and a half!

Xavier just keeps getting hotter and hotter, what cant this guy do? He's smart, he's handsome, he's hard working, he's sweet, he crafts, if we find out that he can bake and loves dinosaurs you've got my dream man! 

The producers knew that Joey wanted to take Charity to play tennis, they should have gotten her flats! I appreciate that Joey picked up on the vibe that Charity was having doubts on their date and just gave her a peck on the cheek and backed off a bit to give her space, shows some real emotional maturity.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Alexander Pope said:

I was baffled as to why Charity wore heels, and yes clunky ones, everywhere including scenic parks by the water or in woods, and even on a tennis court!

to be fair, I don't *think* she knew she was going to a tennis court. I do remember thinking "I sure as hell hope there's an outfit change there" and sure enough, there was.

Something I noticed was in answer to the question "what do you like about my brother/son/nephew whatever" she said "gentle" at least three times. Now maybe that's just her type, which is fine, but it doesn't really differentiate the guys in any way.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 3

I've just picked back up on my knitting, and I realize how much I missed it.  Charity did better her first time than I did, picking it back up after a few years off, but knowing how to do it!  I was impressed.

The home movies of Dotun & Charity as kids was done on Rachel/Gabby's season, with Rachel and Zach.  It was cute then, but ultimately, Rachel sent Zach home, and he obviously became the next bachelor.  Wonder if they're setting up that scenario for Dotun, should he get sent home.  He'd be a great bachelor.

We shall see all these guys again on BIP, especially doorknocker-earring wearing Brayden.  Who, I wonder, might be the mystery guy that shows up next week?

• Like 2

I like Joey. It would be the most fun thing to marry him and go off to live a tennis life in Hawaii.

I think Charity is most comfortable with Dotun, though.

I would be happy if Joey is the Bachelor, because I do think Uncle Joe made Charity doubt Joey’s character and she won’t choose him.

BUT, while I do really like Joey, I can see an inkling of what his uncle said. Just a tinge of someone used to pleasing his customers, so a bit of a salesman vibe, a fragment of “What can I do to get you to buy this car today?”

Just a fraction though, I still like Joey a lot but maybe his uncle knows him better than I do! :)

• Like 5

Interesting home visits. While I loved the Xavier knitting thing…who just dumps their yarn and walks out? You knit it, you bought it sir! As a lifelong knitter I thought about those skeins for way too long. 

I felt a Rachel/Peter vibe with Charity and Joey. I think she’s attracted to him even though the others might be a better fit. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1