Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

My heart breaks for his Mom. I can't imagine.....hoping all the love & prayers sent his way will help Nathan & his family. What a sad situation.....will send positive thoughts to them all.

Loved him as Al/Michael & his romance with Marcy.  I still miss OLTL every time I see the actors on other soaps...just not the same..

• Love 2

I'm so sad about Nathaniel. Years back I auditioned for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and it was damp/drizzly, ABC make accommodations for the line outside or anything. Nathaniel happened to come outside and ended up spending quite a bit of time with the line asking random questions he could think of and taking to everyone (Melissa Archer and Kathy Brier popped over too at times.) He even tried to see if they'd speed up moving us inside!

Kassie DePiva has posted two updates on her Facebook. For all his struggles his costars seem to like him. What a shame.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I think Tom Degnan (one of the Joeys) is in a Ninja coffeemaker commercial with Sofia Vergara. He's got a beard, so it's hard to tell, but if it's him, he's turned into a real silver fox. Much more so than you'd think from seeing him on Limitless.

I'd love to see Kassie get a regular gig. At the very least, you'd think someone would hire her as a trouble-making MILF on some ABC Family or CW show (since thats one of the few ways Hollywood sees women of a certain age).

• Love 2

I'd love to see Kassie get a regular gig. At the very least, you'd think someone would hire her as a trouble-making MILF on some ABC Family or CW show (since thats one of the few ways Hollywood sees women of a certain age).

I don't usually watch NCIS but I happened to turn it on last week and was thrown by how much the actress who plays Bishop resembles a younger Kassie.  It was uncanny, especially her facial expressions.  

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/emily-wickersham-at-2014-monte-carlo-tv-festival_1.jpg

And Darlene Vogel who played Dr. Lanie McIver will be there too.

No offense to the actress, but ugh, Lanie was such a drip.

Speaking of...the TVLine article said that Kassie appeared on the original "Melrose Place".  Does anyone remember this?

Yes. It was a small part in one episode. When Jo attends her high school reunion, Kassie is one of her bitchy (in a passive aggressive blond sorority girl kind of way) old classmates.

The reunion plot was a bit nonsensical, as the reunion was in San Francisco but Jo graduated from high school in New York with a different family name...but that is a discussion for another forum. 

I'm so sad about Nathaniel. Years back I auditioned for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and it was damp/drizzly, ABC make accommodations for the line outside or anything. Nathaniel happened to come outside and ended up spending quite a bit of time with the line asking random questions he could think of and taking to everyone (Melissa Archer and Kathy Brier popped over too at times.) He even tried to see if they'd speed up moving us inside!

Kassie DePiva has posted two updates on her Facebook. For all his struggles his costars seem to like him. What a shame.

I know both JDP and Fiona are much more private than Kassie, but since they played his parents, I wish we could hear from them on this. I know Jim stayed somewhat close to him.

KDP posted it on her FB too. Very sad. Sounded like if he had survived his quality of life might not have been much. Still sad but at least he isn't lingering/suffering now. My condolences to his family.

• Love 1

MA shared this picture on Facebook, saying "You'll always be remembered."

12208730_10153666767306063_1550463579993

I know how private they both are, but I wish we could hear from Jim and Fiona. Their last big storyline on the show was Al's death. It must be deja vu all over again. 

• Love 1

My local news did a teaser "Soap opera star dies in crash" and for some reason, I immediately thought of Nathaniel, because he had gotten into trouble way back when.  When the news said that it was him, I was sort of ashamed that I had immediately gone there.  He was very good with Marcie.  RIP.

He did a few more guest appearances and a movie beyond that, actually.

Their last big storyline on the show was Al's death. It must be deja vu all over again.

Er, not to sound mean or cruel, and this is a sad situation, but...no. We have no idea what they must be feeling, or how all 3 of them viewed each other. As much we like to think the actors have the same relationships sometimes as their characters do, we shouldn't quite assume how they are grieving or if they feel that they lost a son.

Still, may he rest in peace.

He did a few more guest appearances and a movie beyond that, actually.

Er, not to sound mean or cruel, and this is a sad situation, but...no. We have no idea what they must be feeling, or how all 3 of them viewed each other. As much we like to think the actors have the same relationships sometimes as their characters do, we shouldn't quite assume how they are grieving or if they feel that they lost a son.

Still, may he rest in peace.

JDP and NM stayed friends, but I know what you mean. I got the feeling they were somewhat close at the time, though--apparently Fiona would show up at Nate's apartment when he had a particularly early call time at the show and go to the set with him. I wasn't trying to be weird, the parallels are just interesting to me, and of course I'm a biased fan of M&G/the Holden-Medina family anyway. I'm sorry.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Oh, no need to apologize, I've been known to put unrealistic expectations on actors based on their characters myself at times (imagine my disappointment in the 90s when Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny said at the time how they weren't as close in real life as Scully and Mulder). I just think sometimes we need to step back and look at things from a more detached view.

And I loved the Holden-Medina family too :)

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

All I can think about is how Al died so young and that he was paralyzed himself at one point. So sad. :(

I just learned of this on another thread, this is so so tragic, considering the struggles he had in his life, he got his shit together, and this.  Heartbreaking.

• Love 1

I'm saddened by the news, too, but not totally surprised.  If I remember correctly, his life has pretty much been in tatters over the last few years since he got into that trouble.  So much so, he got fired from OLTL and could only rely on one guest appearance on L&O: SVU.  After that, I don't know if he was ever able to get work doing what he loved again.

I do hope he rests in peace, though, and I wish his family well.

No drugs or alcohol in his system according to the police.

He did not wear a seat belt, which is ill-advised.  I would just like this young man who died to not be remembered as for his "troubles".  He had children and family and was loved.

• Love 2

Did you know Marvel's Jessica Jones got her start on OLTL? It's true!

Well, actually Krysten Ritter (the titular Jessica Jones) was in a lot of things back then, but yes, she did a bit 11 years ago on OLTL, as "Kay" of "Kay & Kyle," twin assassins in black leather and sunglasses who finished each other's sentences and came to Llanview trying to kill David Tom's Paul Cramer. It was part of an absolutely horrendous subplot from the second Michael Malone run, where Marcie Walsh, Michael and John McBain, Natalie, Paul, wooden supermodel Kathy Tong and others were prowling around Roxy's Angel Square Hotel in this strange and convoluted cat and mouse game of crime and murder, while Nathaniel Marston and Kathy Brier got wet and naked on the roof. It was one of the weirdest two-three week periods I've ever seen on any soap, like something out of a stage play written on acid, and I've never forgotten it. Anyway, yeah, watch Jessica Jones.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Wow, I remember you talking about that bananas story on the old TWoP board, jsbt!  Krysten Ritter being involved is the cherry on the nutty sundae!

Also, yes to "Jessica Jones" and to Krysten Ritter, who've I've been a fan of since the "Veronica Mars" days.  I'm so happy she's gotten such a great showcase.

I assure you, it was her! In big black sunglasses. I've never forgotten that nonsense.

I had rather blissfully forgotten about that nonsense until you had to go and dredge it up again. Then again, you have long carried a torch for some of that flat out bizarreness from those days. Lionsheart and the mystical Arthurian fog that Antonio got lost in was another trip into weirdsville that you cackle delightedly over.

Kay and Kyle. Cripes. I do remember that. I remember it being sheer WTF-ery at the time, too. "What is even happening here? What... I don't... WHAT IS THIS?!"

Did the K-holes even have lines? I remember them being rather Terminator-esque in their stony, assassin silence.

• Love 1

Kay and Kyle. Cripes. I do remember that. I remember it being sheer WTF-ery at the time, too. "What is even happening here? What... I don't... WHAT IS THIS?!"

Did the K-holes even have lines? I remember them being rather Terminator-esque in their stony, assassin silence.

It's been a very long time but I feel positive they did - I remember them completing each other's sentences, like robots. It was a bad piece of creative flourish that may have sounded genius on paper but did not work onscreen, like most of Malone's insane ideas at the time.

There's some Michael/Marcie stuff from those weeks on YT but I think it's been scrubbed of anything non-them. I have no clue if anything else from that is still on there, I haven't dug too deep.

Part of the reason I gave Ron Carlivati a lot of credit early on at OLTL is that he often had a lot of the same instincts for humor or for truly weird ideas that that bizarre Malone II era had, but in his first couple years as HW I felt he often executed it much better. Malone II could not scrape together a single coherent frontburner story but had a lot of insane poetic touches and big thematic ideas that were well above the brief of their actual budget or scope, stuff only Linda Gottlieb could have pulled off. Meanwhile Ron took over and was doing several very good stories very quickly in a fraction of the time. He also reunited Bo and Nora in what I felt was a very good extended storyline, whereas all Malone ever managed for them was lame sidepieces and a series of pointless comedy sequences in which they would be trapped in confined spaces. (In fairness, that was also when the network was cracking down in a major way on using those veterans in their own stories at all.) Of course, by the time Ron was booted from the network this past summer he had gone deep into that same well with Malone II.

And for all we know Ron wrote some of that Angel Square Hotel schtick!

Edited by jsbt

Wasn't she WE NEVER CARED's sister or something, as well as being some sort of law enforcement? She was hilariously terrible.

Yeah, she was Caitlin's sister. That was when John and Natalie took a deep dive into hell for me and never really recovered. I was all about that couple during the Music Box Killer storyline (which veered wildly between really gritty and dark and legitimately good vs. campy and ridiculous supervillainy), but the minute they were about to consummate they threw a literal wrench in the works - John wasn't ready, and the next day here comes Kathy Tong, who can't act and is totally forced into the show overnight. There were other ways to prolong the payoff for the audience without doing something so artificial.

They knew she didn't work, so they killed her off pretty fast and then threw Evangeline into the mix in an equally awkward and forced bit where John and Van got locked in a basement overnight, decided they were going to die and fucked. It was lame.

Looking back at what's become of black representation on daytime in years since, I think I wasn't as sensitive as I could have been about the Evangeline situation. Yeah, she wasn't Rachel Gannon and yeah, I thought Evangeline as written was a cardboard saint and I was upset they weren't featuring people like R.J. - and yeah, a lot of her fans were fucking nuts. The show overpropped her, that's a given, and the character was a mess. But I always said REG was a beautiful and talented actress, and I think she's in Hamilton now on Broadway which I am dying to see. I'm legitimately happy for her success. The bigger thing, too, is that the idea of giving a woman of color a role of that size, with a lead like Michael Easton, would be unheard of on GH or any soap outside of maybe B&B today, and everything on B&B is transitory. To me it's important to recognize that. I think we took for granted they could always do better, that it was the 21st century and things would keep evolving, but on daytime in a lot of ways they didn't. The gay guys either had babies by women or died or left, and the shows that did progress didn't last. Television is still growing and changing, but not daytime.

I frankly think Tika Sumpter is an incredible actress who the show wasted as Layla for years - they would never have paired Layla up with, let's say, Jacob Young or Billy Flynn or whoever else we have today, not in the last half-decade. But REG got the nod over ten years ago, she got the shot, and in a way, as lousy as I felt the story was and as poorly written as I often found Van, you can even call something like that major interracial romance to be a tiny inadvertent precursor to the stuff we saw on primetime now (Scandal, etc.). They were bold with the character out of a rushed necessity, but GH 2015 wouldn't even think of doing that with any woman of color. And in a dying daytime canvas where AMC 2.0 (which was built on the Hubbards) is gone, and Victoria Rowell is gone, and even Corbin Bleu and Laura Harrier on OLTL 2.0 are gone, I have to recognize that. If that makes any sense.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

Re interracial couples:

Layla would have worked with Brody, IMO. From the moment they met in that bar, I wanted to see more. I remember standing up while watching those scenes because their spark was so obvious. Tika and Mark had IT! And so pretty together. But Ron and Frank never deviate from their plans, chemistry be damned.

I also wanted to see Rachel and Schuyler together, but we know how that turned out.

I never cared one way or the other about the Evangeline character, except, perhaps feeling sorry for Renee because of some of the storylines. McBain dragged down all his love interests, IMO, and I felt badly that Van was glued to him for so long.

• Love 1

I also wanted to see Rachel and Schuyler together, but we know how that turned out.

I've said this various times in various places, but oh my yes, did I want to see Rachel and Schuyler.  Daphnee Duplaix and Scott Clifton sparkled together.

Yes, Schuyler and Rachel. I was looking forward to that pairing - they were so clearly being set up as a couple - but then that slash-and-burn happened

Renee Elise Goldsberry had incredible chemistry with Dan Gauthier. They could have done something really cool with Kevin and Evangeline, I always wondered why they didn't.

Evangeline was a Higley pet (which ruined the character), but did Malone create her? I remember she came on as Mitch Laurence's attorney and she was infinitely more interesting than the nauseatingly perfect moral paragon she became later.

• Love 1

Malone absolutely created her, yes; she came on in mid 2003. I stopped watching for a long time before she became a saint, so I remember her mainly as RJ's one time girlfriend and as a tough lawyer. It's better that way.

I have to give Malone a MAJOR side eye for reuniting Bo & Nora--he's the one who put them together to begin with, for God's sake!--but I do give him a LOT of credit for at least making Matthew Bo's son, IMMEDIATELY after Lindsay accidentally killed Sam. At least he got that right.

Where the rumors about RSW and HBS keeping Bo & Nora apart for a decade valid in any way at all?

Edited by UYI