Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

Tonja Walker has begun her "General Hospital" stint as Olivia Jerome:

I have no experience with Olivia Jerome, but, while I can see shades of Alex Olanov, TW is definitely playing Olivia as colder and less campy.  Digging it.

• Love 1

Well. Ron is a better writer than Dena Higley, so congrats, DAYS fans. Granted, an illiterate mental patient with no understanding of human interaction would be a better writer than Dena Higley...

That show hasn't gotten rid of all its gay characters, has it? Is Will still dead?

ETA: Speaking of, was JPL's version of Philip as fey as Rex? (And I, too, immediately wondered if he and Farah Fath would both be going back.)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Melgaypet said:

That show hasn't gotten rid of all its gay characters, has it? Is Will still dead?

Will's currently dead, but I'd bet cash money that Ron will bring him BFTD brainwashed a la John Black.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Well. Ron is a better writer than Dena Higley, so congrats, DAYS fans. Granted, an illiterate mental patient with no understanding of human interaction would be a better writer than Dena Higley...

Ha! This is what I'm saying.

My guess is that whether Will returns from the dead is out of Ron's hands-- it will be the EP and Chandler Massey who decide. But I think that Ron could channel any unresolved Kish feels he may have very nicely into Paul and Sonny.

Paul is from a very conservative family and had a very macho profession (all-star baseball player turned private investigator) and came out when he was well into adulthood. As a result, he lost the first and only man he ever loved in Sonny. A number of years ago Sonny proposed to Paul, then dumped him when Paul wouldn't go public.

Sonny, on the other hand, had an extremely supportive family and was out, proud, and confident basically from childhood... oh, but there is the matter of those psycho long-lost relatives he happens to have. Yeah, relatives that Paul's law-enforcement-loving family might well prefer to throw back in jail.

ETA: Speaking of, was JPL's version of Philip as fey as Rex? (And I, too, immediately wondered if he and Farah Fath would both be going back.)

Could anything be as fey as Rex, really? Fake Philip was awful enough to be going on with. Here's the worst part: Philip and Mimi have a long-lost child put up for adoption at birth. He was accidentally conceived when EJ played mix-and-match with the samples at the fertility clinic; Philip/Mimi were never actually an item and never slept together. And yes, considering the SORASing of his age cohort, this child would now be just the age to be played by the kid who played Shane on OLTL.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 1

I think Ron will resurrect Will in a hot second if they can secure Massey (or maybe even without him). Killing that kind of core child, particularly a gay one, is usually anathema to him.

Edited by jsbt
On 1/23/2017 at 8:22 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Tonja Walker has begun her "General Hospital" stint as Olivia Jerome:

I have no experience with Olivia Jerome, but, while I can see shades of Alex Olanov, TW is definitely playing Olivia as colder and less campy.  Digging it.

Is the other Olivia--LLC's Olivia--still on the show? (Sorry, I haven't watched/kept up much in quite awhile now.) I'm curious how they will keep the confusion over their names down to a minimum. 

On 1/24/2017 at 9:39 AM, Panopticon said:

In related news, John Paul Lavoisier is back on contract as Rex-Philip, with Farrah Fath soon to reprise her role as Gigi-Mimi.

(Kidding. For now.)

Their real life relationship ended a few years ago, so that would be...interesting, to say the least.

Edited by UYI
3 minutes ago, UYI said:

Is the other Olivia--LLC's Olivia--still on the show? (Sorry, I haven't watched/kept up much in quite awhile now.) I'm curious how they will keep the confusion over their names down to a minimum. 

She is, but she got bumped down to recurring and is rarely seen these days. 

15 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

She is, but she got bumped down to recurring and is rarely seen these days. 

Yeah, and I'm not sure how confusing it would be anyway. Probably most so to people who aren't watching much and just keeping up through the forum (uh, like me). Probably if you watch the show, you'd know which Olivia anyone was talking about through context. Though most of the time soaps observe the One Steve Limit. Unless it's a family name, and then they use nicknames. Though not OLTL so much. AMC had three generations of Adam Chandlers and GH has/had three generations of Michael Corinthos (shudder) and two generations of Lucas Lorenzo Spencers, plus Lucas Jones (who?). I don't recall any family on OLTL doing that. There was Asa Buchanan II - Ace - but of course he turned out to be Adam Chandler III. CJ stands for Clinton James, not Cord Junior, though he is named after Clint. There was two Drew Buchanans, but of course original Drew was long dead by the time his nephew was born, so I don't think that counts. Todd famously refused to have any sons named after him.

Of course, someone's going to come in here and remind of one I've totally forgotten and I'll feel dumb. Don't let that stop you.

ETA: Wait, I thought of one! Joseph Francis Riley, Junior! Of course, Joe was dead by the time Joey was born...

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

REG will be in the Super Bowl halftime show, according to Page Six. Good for her!

Aw. For an actress I was never impressed by in a role I hated with a passion, I'm always surprised how happy I am for her success. Not that I would wish her ill, but I don't think I'd have this reaction if, say, Crystal Hunt somehow became a Broadway star. (Not that REG was ever that bad, but you guys know what I mean.)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2

I do remember some STUFF! with Jessica and Natalie both wanting to name their babies Asa and then settling on using Asa as the middle name for both Ryder and Liam.

And I guess there was also Jessica naming her first baby Megan, but of course, Jessica Tuck Megan was long gone by then.

Edited by TeeVee329

And this is probably a coincidence, but Joe Riley's daughter with Cathy Craig (who Viki accidentally got killed in a car accident in the 70s while babysitting her) was also named Megan. 

And another big one:

Sarah Roberts was named for Sarah Gordon Buchanan, but of course no one seems to remember her anymore (Sarah was presumed dead in 1990, Sarah Victoria Roberts was born in January or February 1991, the older Sarah returned alive in October 1991, and then was killed for real on Thanksgiving Night in 1992).

And Al Holden was named after Max's late friend Don Alonzo in Argentina. 

To stay on topic, I know Jim and especially Fiona want their privacy (and they deserve it), but I wish we could see them or hear from them again. :'(

Edited by UYI
On 1/30/2017 at 8:40 AM, UYI said:

And this is probably a coincidence, but Joe Riley's daughter with Cathy Craig (who Viki accidentally got killed in a car accident in the 70s while babysitting her) was also named Megan.

And Al Holden was named after Max's late friend Don Alonzo in Argentina.

I knew that about Megan Riley, but had forgotten. Weird. And then Megan Victoria was named after Megan Gordon, of course. (That reminds me, do all of Jessica's daughters have Victoria as a middle name? Chloe did. Bree was born Brennan Buchanan, but I'm fairly sure Jessica changed her legal name to Bree when they changed her last name (I hope so - Brennan Brennan? That's just mean.) I don't remember anything about her middle name, though.)

I did not know that about Al. I guess I assumed he was named after Al Roberts, because of Tina passing him off as hers and Cord's, and Max and Gabrielle never changed it. Huh.

2 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Chloe did. Bree was born Brennan Buchanan, but I'm fairly sure Jessica changed her legal name to Bree when they changed her last name (I hope so - Brennan Brennan? That's just mean.) I don't remember anything about her middle name, though.)

I remember the scene where Nash jokingly argued in favor of calling her Brennan Brennan ("double the Brennan, double the fun") but I don't think they discussed a middle name. And I tend to pay attention to that... I celebrated today when Julie dropped both a "Shawn-Douglas" and a "Jennifer Rose" on Days. 

8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I knew that about Megan Riley, but had forgotten. Weird. And then Megan Victoria was named after Megan Gordon, of course. (That reminds me, do all of Jessica's daughters have Victoria as a middle name? Chloe did. Bree was born Brennan Buchanan, but I'm fairly sure Jessica changed her legal name to Bree when they changed her last name (I hope so - Brennan Brennan? That's just mean.) I don't remember anything about her middle name, though.)

I did not know that about Al. I guess I assumed he was named after Al Roberts, because of Tina passing him off as hers and Cord's, and Max and Gabrielle never changed it. Huh.

Tina named him after Al Roberts when she convinced Gabrielle that she and Max were married after Al was born, and when M&G got him back, they kept the name Al and named after Max's late Argentinean friend.

And I should note that Sarah was born when Bo's wife Sarah was presumed dead, but when she turned up alive for about a year later on they counted as two Sarahs on canvass for awhile.

And I guess Michael and Marcie named their son Gabriel after Gabrielle, technically.

I have always wondered what happened to Karen Witter. If Andrea had been unable (or unwilling) to return in the last few years, I wouldn't have minded seeing Karen back.

5 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I remember the scene where Nash jokingly argued in favor of calling her Brennan Brennan ("double the Brennan, double the fun")

Nash can rot in hell for that dumbass name. Clearly came from Dena and possibly Frank and their absolute infatuation with Bree Williamson's mediocre performance. Ridiculous.

• Love 2

Sigh. I'll just repost my comments from the GH side:

In theory and in a different environment, I don't have a problem with Nora making an appearance for a case (and I will watch it, sadly - Nora is one of my top favorites of all time). That's a typical old minor crossover ABC used to do with its soaps. But in the reality we're in, Frank and Ron have pushed this shit for far too long and all I can do is sigh and shake my head. Nothing LeftPhalange said is incorrect, when Howarth and Easton are already pulling massive focus on the show it's just so inappropriate.

That being said, as long as she doesn't rewrite Prospect Park's run (and I doubt she will in a single story-related appearance) I can survive.

• Love 3

I love Nora, but I don't want the character anywhere near the decomposing remains called General Hospital.  She's too good a character for that mess of a show.  But I don't begrudge HS a paycheck.

• Love 2

About Nora on GH:

Since the lawsuit was settled the "Save OLTL (and AMC)" movement has been hitting ABC hard!  After fans fought to get the show back and succeeded, we lost it again the lawsuit halted production.  Now that ABC has the rights back, people have been making sure to remind ABC "you fought for them...now what are you going to do now that you HAVE them?"  Because it takes time for various things to happen before any announcement can be made regarding reviving the shows (casting, securing writers/crew, scheduling, logistics), fans have lobbied ABC to bring OLTL characters on GH in the meantime to revive interest and buzz about the characters while all the other stuff is in the works (just as the OLTL'ers on GH in '12-'13 did between the ABC ending and PP relaunch).  Hilary reprising her role as Nora is a direct result of that.

They could surprise us, but from what i've heard, it's unlikely that any of the PP material will be considered canon in regards to if OLTL is brought back or any backstory that takes place on GH.  

If you want to see OLTL return, watch and support the OLTL characters on GH.  Crossovers are nice and fun excursions but ultimately each character belongs back in its proper "home".

Edited by dwmckim
  • Love 1

No thanks.

And if they make OLTL 2.0 noncanonical - which I have my doubts they'll do vs. just not mentioning it altogether - I'll be really pissed.

Not that it'd matter, to be honest - if it were, say, Ron he'd be obsessed with using all the continuity just like PC, he'd just undo what he wanted. But he's not at ABC.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

Ausiello's got the deets on Nora's visit to Port Charles.  She starts airing on March 6th:

http://tvline.com/2017/02/07/general-hospital-hillary-b-smith-nora-buchanan-interview/

TVLINE: How is Nora doing? What has she been up to?
HBS: I think she’s kind of been living happily ever after, with Bo (played on OLTL by Robert S. Woods). Doing her legal thing and loving on her husband. I’m wondering if she has grandchildren about now…? I don’t think so.

Oh dear, it seems she forgot about poor Drew!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Ausiello's got the deets on Nora's visit to Port Charles.  She starts airing on March 6th:

http://tvline.com/2017/02/07/general-hospital-hillary-b-smith-nora-buchanan-interview/

Oh dear, it seems she forgot about poor Drew!

It says "more" grandchildren. Maybe it was edited later? I dunno.

(HBS, my dear, the answer is "yes." Rachel has a kid now. #showinmyhead #fanficineedtowrite)

The Evans Bros. continue to be adorable Patriots fans.

I am!  

Nora's stint (and it will be a short run) will be a major test balloon for ABC as to whether or not to pursue bringing OLTL back in any form.  OLTL fans need to be sure the ratings for GH go up on the days she's on.  If you're not a Neilsen viewer, watch the episodes on Hulu, at ABC's website, DVR/Tivo - any of the current modern platforms where ABC gets data about views.

I'll be tuning in for her and watching on both ABC's website and Hulu - and rewatching again during weekend.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2017 at 10:43 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Stop, Nora time!

Hey, are any non-GH watchers planning on jumping on board for her visit to Port Charles?

I am. 

(edited)

Nora debuted on GH yesterday.  She's representing Valentin Cassadine in a custody battle for his ridiculous magic embryo daughter with a woman he's never met, Lulu Spencer Falconeri, Luke and Laura's daughter whose eggs Helena Cassadine stole. Don't ask, I'm not. Nora had some good banter with local GH lawyer Diane Miller, but very little beyond that.

And no, I do not want Frank bringing OLTL back on ABC. Especially not Frank.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
(edited)

Also on "General Hospital" this week - Tonja Walker going all in on Olivia Jerome's descent into total crazy-pants territory, she's been such a blast in the last few episodes.  I mean, today, Olivia attempted to use her dead lover's son as a VESSEL for his SOUL after breaking into an ENDGAME lab under the hospital!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

As a public service to OLTL fans, each week i'll post a "General Hospital Checklist" so you know which episodes to watch that Nora Buchanan (or any other future OLTL character) appears on.

This week (first week of Nora's crossover): Nora appeared Monday-Wednesday (3/6-3/8)

I highly recommend watching via one of the following sources, so your viewing will be officially counted in ABC's data (which is great for those who aren't Nielsen viewers!):

Hulu - https://www.hulu.com/general-hospital
ABC's website - http://abc.go.com/shows/general-hospital
ABC's official YouTube channel -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYe8ZLf4IX29I3BZ89l0pQ

• Love 1

I never thought I'd see a modern day picture of JDP again. This is making my day right now. (Yes, I know, that's really sad.)

ETA: How selfish of me, I really shouldn't have left out Kassie like that! She does look wonderful.  

Edited by UYI

Kassie looks great, so glad she's in remission. On s superficial note its officially impossible for her to look bad. Does anyone  know how Eddie Alderson is doing with his illness?

Edited by Gigi43

Kassie looks pretty much the same as she did during Blair's "Seeing Red" storyline. I'm so thrilled she's feeling better. I too am curious about Eddie. I don't do social media. Is he okay?

I just scanned the Aldersons' twitters. There haven't been any specific updates about Eddie's status, but he posted a few pictures of himself in Florida and with his girlfriend and he's looking well. Mostly he retweets stuff about Philadelphia sports non-stop.