Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E21: Semifinals: Week 2 Results

• Start Topic

Much better results this week.

I won't lie... that little filler segment with Heidi and Mel made me smile a bit. Heidi bugs me with her judging a lot and I forget how enjoyable she can be sometimes. The Howie and Mel bit though? No thanks. Stupid. If the show needs 2 filler segments and a band performing to fill the hour, it's really time to just cut it down to 30 minutes. Or how about they just take a filler segment out so we can actually get to judges' choice before the credits start rolling?

Really happy AcroArmy, E&D, Mat, and Quin got voted through. No surprises there at all and I'm happy with all of that. And only 1 singer this week. :-)

Poor Jonah Smith being called up there with Mat. He had to know he was done. I hope he does well as he seems like a nice guy and IMO he has a nice sounding voice.

Christian looked ready to pass out every time they cut to the Snapple Save acts backstage. Happy my man lives on to see another week (probably his last, lol). When it came down to him and Smoothini, I kind of figured the judges would choose him.

Not sad to see the backsides of Kelli, Jaycob and Baila Conmigo. Bye.

Blue Journey girl is really gorgeous.

Muppet Mayhem next week. Wonderful. I guess we know what the results show filler will be.

• Love 2

Surprisingly decent results. Pretty bummed that smoothini got robbed. Should've made through with Christian. Blue journey is the act that should've gone home. Anyone else find blue journeys act last night boring and something u can sleep through?

• Love 3

Christian and Scooby made it. That's all I care about. I didn't care about any of the other acts. But I swear to God, if I hear one more voiceover about the best season ever, I'm going to start screaming like Mara Justine. Seriously, last season had Timber Brown, Kenichi Ebina, and the Kristef Brothers. There was not a single act in this semifinal that I enjoyed as much as those three. Christian and Scooby hold a close second to those guys, though. I would kill to see an act with the Kristef Brothers, Christian, and Scooby. That would be made of win.

• Love 2

I was generally pleased with the results. I voted for Blue Journey in the Snapple Save, so I'm glad they didn't have to risk the judges' pick. But in the judges' pick, I personally would have gone with Smoothini. Yeah, his act is small and could never really work on a non-televised stage (or a bar/street corner), but he did a good job last night, whereas Christian totally dropped the ball. This show is called America's Got Talent, yet the judges always seem more partial to acts that are bigger and showier than ones that actually demonstrate skill. I'm not saying Christian's untalented, but between the two, Smoothini showed more talent last night.

I liked the Heidi/Mel bit. My mom called me just as the Howie/Mel bit was starting, but I'm sure I didn't miss anything important.

Surprisingly decent results. Pretty bummed that smoothini got robbed. Should've made through with Christian. Blue journey is the act that should've gone home. Anyone else find blue journeys act last night boring and something u can sleep through?

Agree.  Blue Journey is talented, but last night was boring. I would like to see them just dance without the animation.

Please excuse me for a moment, I'm going to be shallow. 

Christian looked ready to pass out every time they cut to the Snapple Save acts backstage. Happy my man lives on to see another week (probably his last, lol). When it came down to him and Smoothini, I kind of figured the judges would choose him.

Christian did look so scared. He looked like he would pass out or cry. I wanted to hold him in my arms and comfort him.  He is welcome to lay his head against me and be nervous anytime.  I'll cuddle Scooby too.

Howard Stern sounded like a father.  Scolding Christian for having a bad night. Then encouraging Christian to bring his "A" game because Howard knows he can do it. 

I's sure there is some way Smoothini could work his act for a large crowd.  

So glad Kelli Glover is gone. Until she pops up on another singing show.

• Love 4

My mom called me just as the Howie/Mel bit was starting, but I'm sure I didn't miss anything important.

Mel pretended to be a psychic as Howie fed her info about the people through an earpiece. Wacky hijinks ensued. You missed nothing.

Seriously, last season had Timber Brown, Kenichi Ebina, and the Kristef Brothers.

Are you me? Kristef was my #1 act last year (and ever) and Timber was #2. Alexandr Magala was #3. STILL not over him getting completely robbed and Marty Brown making it through over him.

And speaking of Timber, I nearly shit my pants a week or two ago because I logged onto my youtube account and had a completely out of the blue message from him. He wanted to download one of my videos but needed help doing it. It was so random. I just needed to share that with someone because it was really exciting for me.

Please excuse me for a moment, I'm going to be shallow.

Christian did look so scared. He looked like he would pass out or cry. I wanted to hold him in my arms and comfort him.  He is welcome to lay his head against me and be nervous anytime.  I'll cuddle Scooby too.

Same, lol. I liked how he could barely talk at the end because he was crying. I swear he gets all teary eyed after every performance and result. Imagine if they put him in a result up against Mara Justine next week? The stage would turn into a puddle of tears.

And since we're being superficial, I'm in complete agreement with Mel about Mat Franco. CUTE. Very cute. And damn good at what he does, too. I wouldn't mind him winning the whole thing.

Edited by UsernameGoesHere
  • Love 3

Mat Franco could smile at me and do magic all day long. So glad he made it through.

Howie keeps using the word best to describe this season. I don't think it means what he thinks it does.

There are still some acts to root for,but nothing like last year. I loved the Kristef brothers.

• Love 4

When it came down to him and Smoothini, I kind of figured the judges would choose him.

I usually like to think that the producers let the judges "judge" and whoever advances--that's who advances.  No interference.  However, even if I assume that the judges truly preferred Christian/Scooby, TPTB had to be super relieved that the final twelve did not feature THREE magic acts.  Two is enough.

Mel B was most unusually physically intimate with those folks she was "reading."  I love that she has such an earthy personality - the anti-supermodel/diva.  It's no wonder Simon chose her to help rescue whichever contest show he is on in England.  I am quite sure she expects "star" treatment/perks on a production site and I would hate to be on the wrong end of her displeasure if she was somehow failed in this regard.   Yet, I am betting her fuse is much, much longer to burn than typical for someone of her stature.

Howard has become what he used to skewer without mercy:  A corporate shill and inauthentic personality.  It is sad that he decided he needed this gig more than he needed to be himself.   With his riches?  That is pathetic.

Ameriker did a decent job and the rescue and jidge's decision were correct.  I am very surprised that E + D cellos were Top 4, though.

I wonder if Smoothini was hurt by the glut of magic acts in the final?  There are what..3 now?  Don't get me wrong...I love me some Scooby and I think Christian and Scooby still have a pretty impressive act, but I think Smoothini would have had a shot if there was one less Magic act put through last week.  (looking at you, Desmond's friend!)

THANK YOU, AMERICA, for not shoving Wendy Liebman through:  Howard, stop trying to make Wendy happen - she's never gonna happen!

• Love 2

I agree that this is NOT the "Best.Season.Ever," as the judges keep insisting.

So, there are TWO 12-year-old singers in the Finals? Really?  That seems like an aweful lot of pressure (not to mention heartbreak), since neither of them stands a chance of winnng! (Clearly Emily West or Miguel Dakota are the CHosen Ones.)

I did giggle at the Mel/Heidi skit, I confess, particularly at the end when they both went all Drag-Queen. ("Orange is SO Season 8." Awesome.)

But they need to stop alootting screen-time for Howie. Seriously.

As soon as you see the elimination pair-ups between the contestants, it's almost a dead giveaway who's going through and who's not; and it looks like most of the contestants seem to know that, as well. You could tell by their expressions/body-language when someone knows they're going home. 

I saw it coming, but I was disappointed that Jaycob didn't make the cut, but he took it gracefully. He's only 18, so hopefully he had a good career ahead of him,

• Love 1

I'm agree on 5 of the 6, Quintavious had his worst performance, but he got the pimp spot and the pity the child advantage, I still believe Emily West is way better than him, if he sings like this again I don't think he'll make the top 6, unless he has another sob story to tell..

TPTB had to be super relieved that the final twelve did not feature THREE magic acts.  Two is enough.

There actually are three magicians - Mike Super, Mat Franco and David & Leeman. I don't have a problem with that. After all, there are four solo singers - Mara, Quint, Emily and Miguel - plus Sons of Serendip, another singing act. So five out of twelve are singing acts. The other four acts are Acro Army, Blue Journey, Scooby and Christian, and the cello brothers.

I'm okay with last night's results, but I don't care for Mara or Miguel; I would have preferred other variety acts in their places.

• Love 1

So, there are TWO 12-year-old singers in the Finals? Really?  That seems like an aweful lot of pressure (not to mention heartbreak), since neither of them stands a chance of winnng! (Clearly Emily West or Miguel Dakota are the CHosen Ones.)

What I'm hoping is that people will finally accept that Mara is just not that good when they see her perform in the same two-hour span as Quintavious. His performance this week wasn't his best, but he's still miles ahead of her in talent. If he scooches her out of the Top 6, I'll happily accept him as a finalist.

I'm agree on 5 of the 6, Quintavious had his worst performance, but he got the pimp spot and the pity the child advantage, I still believe Emily West is way better than him, if he sings like this again I don't think he'll make the top 6, unless he has another sob story to tell..

He doesn't have a sob story though, does he? He just seems like a nice young boy who loves his family and loves to sing. It's really refreshing, actually.

• Love 4

I'm okay with last night's results, but I don't care for Mara or Miguel; I would have preferred other variety acts in their places.

I agree.  Mara & Miguel shouldn't be in the top 12.  I would have much rather seen other acts like one of the dance groups (Jasmine Flowers, for instance) in the top instead.  

Unfortunately, I think that Miguel and his hat are in it for the long haul...he's young and cute so he's going to get all sorts of votes.  I told my husband the other night that I think Miguel is going to win the whole thing on those two attributes alone.  

I understand why Smoothini didn't go through because it's a stage show and he's a close up act, but I thought his performance demonstrated how good he is at what he does. Of course, we all know an act like that is based on palming and distraction, but he's magnificent at it. There's no fakery--it's pure physical object manipulation. 

With the other magicians, they're good, too, but it's almost harder to know how much actual skill versus having the right prop and pre-planning was involved with the big tricks. I did a bit of magic in a theater show I was in, and one thing I learned from that is that some tricks are all prop and minimal physical skill. But the big tricks do read better in a stage show setting. I just hope some good happens for Smoothini's career and income stream as a result of doing AGT because he is so very talented.

I rewatched Blue Journey's piece, and I realized why I was so disappointed in Aerial Animations animation. Blue Journey created such a beautiful (if sad!) world. I know the animating styles are different, but I like Blue Journey's much better. There's more of a story and more unexpectedness. It's everything that was good about Kenichi but still very different.

• Love 2

When they cut to Smoothini backstage watching Mat's performance he looked angry/like he wanted to kill Mat.

I thought it was hilarious when Heidi was backstage patting Scooby and quickly looked a shirtless Christian up and down. Lol and whenever the cameras cut to a shot of Scooby they get a huge close-up of Christian's chest.

I thought the Heidi and Mel bit was okay. The Mystic Mel was awkward, but still not as bad as the previous segments with Howie.

Christian did look super nervous in the Snapple Save lounge. It must be nice for people who have partners in their acts that they don't have to sit their alone. At least Christian had Scooby. I feel like if he hadn't he might have had a breakdown.

So glad Kelli Glover is gone. Until she pops up on another singing show.

Her obsessiveness with fame makes me uncomfortable and yes, I bet she pops up on The Voice at some point.

I don't think this is the best season ever either, but next year we'll probably all being saying that the acts are mediocre and that nothing compares to this week's acts. It happens every season.

• Love 3