Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Singapore

Athena
  • Start Topic

My dad was a plant inspector.  He retired in 2019 after almost 50 years at the same plant.  He had a high school diploma and started out as a mechanic at the plant in 1971.

I'm no Bree fan, but I think her being a plant inspector is plausible, especially then.  Of all of things I have to hand-wave to comfortably watch this show, this isn't one of them!  😉

• Like 3

Poor Will has clearly inherited the psycho bait Fraser curse, poor guy. These people cant go anywhere without being assaulted/kidnapped/almost murdered by any rando they meet, they should all be sleeping with guns 24/7. That's one of the reasons why I cant believe that Bree and Roger aren't taking Jemmy and Mandy seriously when they talk about seeing a stranger on their land, after everything they've been through you would think that they would be more careful. Not only that, its weird that they don't seem to be asking more questions about weird things happening considering they're time travelers who have dropped back and fourth through time via magic portal. A mysterious stranger? A portal looking thing? No follow ups?

When will these dummies learn to just shut up and listen to the Frasers? Cant they tell a protagonist when they see one?

I like the Quaker siblings, its great to meet some characters who just seem to be nice. The sister and Will had some nice scenes but she and Ian seem to vibe a lot more, plus Will will presumably be going back to England to marry someone that befits his station at some point, or at least that will be expected of him. 

Nice scenes between Ian and Claire, Ian and his son, and at the end when Bree was talking to a little monument to Jamie. I love the bond between Young Ian and his cool auntie Claire. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Not only that, its weird that they don't seem to be asking more questions about weird things happening considering they're time travelers who have dropped back and fourth through time via magic portal. A mysterious stranger? A portal looking thing? No follow ups?

I guess we can say their lack of asking questions is consistent at this point. 

• Like 2

So Ian just has a kid that he never knew about?

And Bree goes through a time portal thingy but doesn't time travel?  Or that wasn't a time portal thingy?

I feel really stupid, like this episode was really confusing to follow, but I think it wasn't just me, so...  Maybe there will be more explanation later, at least about the time portal thingy.

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And Bree goes through a time portal thingy but doesn't time travel?  Or that wasn't a time portal thingy?

You need a gemstone on you to time travel. It's strange she didn't mention it to Roger, though, 'cause she should realize she heard the buzz that time travelers hear around a time portal.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

I'm no Bree fan, but I think her being a plant inspector is plausible, especially then

Yeah, that’s who I’d hire to inspect the work on a ginormous electric plant, someone with zero work experience anywhere and who didn’t even stick around to get her degree. Not to mention someone who can’t account for where she’s been for the past few years. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I had the same look on my face as the workers when Boss Bree showed up at work. The worst part about Bree in that job is that Sophie can’t carry it off. 

Yeah what happened with the lights in the cave? I thought Brianna was going to end up in Claire’s lap while Claire was stitching someone up! It was quite the scene and I thought that was what Brianna had on her mind when she was about to talk to Roger, then she just rambled on about how the men disrespected her. Not a mention of a portal at all. You’d think she’d at least tell Roger about it even if she didn’t travel anywhere. Unless she didn’t realize. Would she really not clue in to what it was? I thought she did when she ran into it in hopes of seeing Mama and Da again, and I was wondering why she’d run through without telling anyone beforehand! Stupid spontaneous move, I figured. I guess I shouldn’t have thought about it so much. Bree certainly hasn’t. 

Wonder who the traveller is and when Roger will finally do a proper search and find them.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know now. *We* knew it was a portal. Why would she know though? They've only used the stones. 

By the buzzing sound, and that feeling of chaos they get. Brianna clearly felt that, given her reaction. It’s not a matter of knowing, but figuring it out. Wouldn’t be difficult to put two and two together. Claire suspected right away that the water in the cave in the Caribbean was a portal. Guess she’s smarter than her daughter. 😁 If I’d gone through that experience even once before (and they’ve now done it what, three times?) and heard and felt it again, anywhere, I’d stay well away from it, not jump right into/through it! 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, ferjy said:

By the buzzing sound, and that feeling of chaos they get. Brianna clearly felt that, given her reaction. It’s not a matter of knowing, but figuring it out. Wouldn’t be difficult to put two and two together. Claire suspected right away that the water in the cave in the Caribbean was a portal. Guess she’s smarter than her daughter. 😁 If I’d gone through that experience even once before (and they’ve now done it what, three times?) and heard and felt it again, anywhere, I’d stay well away from it, not jump right into/through it! 

That’s exactly what I thought, that her first thought would be to stay away before she went flying off to another time. Like you say, Claire thought it instantly, why wouldn’t Bree? How often do you hear such strong buzzing and get that feeling of dread? I was shocked that she actually went into it!

• Like 1
(edited)
On 7/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

You need a gemstone on you to time travel. It's strange she didn't mention it to Roger, though, 'cause she should realize she heard the buzz that time travelers hear around a time portal.

Probably true about the gemstone, though not a given that you absolutely need one. It might just help navigate better. Either way, I sure wouldn’t take the chance! 

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm just saying her not knowing immediately is reasonable since she never saw a portal before. I would have thought about it later myself, but they really don't talk much about these things on the show. 

Yes, they don’t talk about things far too often. The writers need to step up their game! 

And I appreciate your opinion, but I think she should have at least suspected right away. Buzz, buzz, buzz… “Is there a bee in here?” Duh…

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

The portal was in a man-made structure, right?  The dam? So, before the dam was built, it was just in the middle of a river, possibly even underwater?

I understand wanting to take their time to go through the letters, to savor them to a certain extent, but if the last letter is "there's an emergency and I'm coming through the stones, please meet me on Sept 30 1983 at the stones in Scotland", I'd want to know that and be there for my mother.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

To be fair, the envelopes had a subject on them, so I can fanwank that they rifled through them to see if there was anything urgent. I've been consistent in criticizing Bree and Claire not emparting "future things" nearly enough. No one talks about these things nearly enough for me. I also don't want to pile on either. 

(edited)
On 7/21/2023 at 5:06 AM, ferjy said:

You’d think she’d at least tell Roger about it even if she didn’t travel anywhere. Unless she didn’t realize. Would she really not clue in to what it was? I thought she did when she ran into it in hopes of seeing Mama and Da again, and I was wondering why she’d run through without telling anyone beforehand!

22 hours ago, ferjy said:

9 hours ago, steph369 said:

That’s exactly what I thought, that her first thought would be to stay away before she went flying off to another time. Like you say, Claire thought it instantly, why wouldn’t Bree? How often do you hear such strong buzzing and get that feeling of dread? I was shocked that she actually went into it!

I may be a minority here, but I felt the biggest issue Brianna was facing in the tunnel at that moment was "How the f**k do I get out of here" along with "Stupid effing a**holes". Mr. Cameron and his lackeys had just locked her in, taken her keys, gave her a dead flashlight and their final words were: "Good luck, Madam Inspector.  We'll leave your keys on your desk! " Then she could hear them driving away.

She was justifiably steaming mad. She quickly figured out how to turn lights on so she could get her bearings and be able to search for another way out. Good thing she was already familiar with the tunnel schematics.

Note: If they were willing to lock her in the dark with nothing, she could not rely on them returning to let her out. She didn't just sit around feeling angry, she channeled that anger into getting her bearings and looking for another way out.

I did notice the odd blue light and the buzzing sound (like she did), but I also saw what she saw past that floaty blue light... a door-shaped light a short distance past it. Grabbed a screenshot incase you missed it. See below. I put a black circle around it.

I assumed Bri saw her escape... blocked by a possible portal—if she could believe her senses. Her #1 priority was to get out of that tunnel. She gave the situation a quick assessment and decided the risk of possible un-planned time travel vs being stuck in the tunnel for who knows how long (and how her family would feel if she didn't come home from work) was worth the risk of trying to get past it as quickly a possible. That's why she ran through it so fast (not because she wanted to see her Mama and Da so bad she'd abandon her children and her husband.)

ScreenShot2023-07-22at2_02_09PM.thumb.jpeg.bb9fe510ed2ce14f099606d1caa0e3e3.jpeg

The next shot is her on the other side of the buzzing lights and getting out of the tunnel through the door.

If she'd been so scared of the buzzing and floating blue lights that she would choose to stay in the tunnel—when she was just a few yards from the door out—she would have proven that she didn't deserve her new job and would have caused panic for Roger, at least, when she didn't return home. Even I couldn't defend her if she did that. 

But she didn't.  She was still fuming mad when she got home. I don't blame her. She hadn't just been disrespected, she'd learned her co-workers did not have her back (in what could be a dangerous job) but instead had been willing to actually endangered her life. If she wasn't an engineer who had read the schematics she might have been stumbling around in the dark—ripe for an tripping accident.

So, I disagree that she isn't as smart as her mother. They both have smarts in their fields of choice. And Bri definitely had her priorities straight. Right up to the scene where she confronted those guys in the bar.

She IS the main breadwinner in the family now. She needed to keep her job and be safe doing it. 

Encountering a Rando-Possible-Time-Travel-Portal was only annoying... and secondary info to her at that point.  She retrieved it later when it was important.

Edited by Anothermi
clarity
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Claire already knew that Abandawe (the Caribbean portal) had a bad reputation, that "people disappear there." She knew she was chasing Gellis to try to stop her  from going through it to kill Brianna. So it was mostly a matter of figuring out that the portal was the pool and not some random rock like all the others. Bree knows of course about Craig na Dun, but has no reason at this point to expect to find another portal in the same general area. She doesn't have a jewel and isn't thinking of traveling anywhere specific. There's also nothing concrete to touch there. So by the "rules" as she knows them, it's worth the risk to her when the alternative is trudging back through the dark tunnel and hoping to find an alternative she would have already missed.

18 hours ago, ferjy said:

Probably true about the gemstone, though not a given that you absolutely need one. It might just help navigate better. Either way, I sure wouldn’t take the chance!

The characters on the show have repeatedly said you need a gemstone to travel to pass through the stones. Whether you're trying to navigate somewhere or not (Claire in her first journey to the past was not). That's why there was such a big fuss about them a few episodes ago. And the very fact that Bree stepped through a portal without a gemstone on her and didn't go anywhere confirms it.

17 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I understand wanting to take their time to go through the letters, to savor them to a certain extent, but if the last letter is "there's an emergency and I'm coming through the stones, please meet me on Sept 30 1983 at the stones in Scotland", I'd want to know that and be there for my mother.

Any letter that had to be read urgently would likely be at the top, regardless of chronological order.

17 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

The portal was in a man-made structure, right?  The dam? So, before the dam was built, it was just in the middle of a river, possibly even underwater?

It was in a cave. I think it's likely there was a cave there before the dam.

10 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I may be a minority here, but I felt the biggest issue Brianna was <snip> (as it’s very long!)

Whoa, I don’t think you got that most of my comment was just a joke! (running to see Mama and Da, not being as smart as her mother). Guess I’d better get the heavy sarcasm smiley out next time. But I stand by my opinion that she should have suspected. You hear that kind of buzzing and feel the dread, after you’ve been through it a few times and you should know, whatever circumstances you’re in. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

The characters on the show have repeatedly said you need a gemstone to travel to pass through the stones. Whether you're trying to navigate somewhere or not (Claire in her first journey to the past was not). That's why there was such a big fuss about them a few episodes ago. And the very fact that Bree stepped through a portal without a gemstone on her and didn't go anywhere confirms it.

They think you do. They have also always said that they don’t know for sure how it works and that you need to focus (can’t be drunk, etc.) It could be that Brianna wasn’t focussing on anyone or anything so didn’t travel. As for Claire’s first time, she had Jack Randall on her mind from Frank’s stories. Not surprising he was the first person she encountered. We just don’t know for certain how it works. I can’t remember, did Claire have a gem when she inadvertently went through the stones the first time? Seems she was pretty bare essentials in a dress and shawl.

• Like 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I can’t remember, did Claire have a gem when she inadvertently went through the stones the first time?

Yes. They didn't call attention to it at the time (though one can spot it if one's looking), but in Season 3 she explains to Bree that her diamond watch was burned up in her first time travel.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
On 7/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

You need a gemstone on you to time travel.

I guess Brianna has no engagement/wedding rings. Or doesn’t wear them to work.  When she charged into the light, I was looking forward to her popping into Claire’s kitchen just in time for lunch. 

• LOL 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Yes. They didn't call attention to it at the time (though one can spot it if one's looking), but in Season 3 she explains to Bree that her diamond watch was burned up in her first time travel.

I couldn’t remember either so I looked at the video and she did have a watch on, though you’d have to get a closer look to see any diamonds. But it wasn’t burned up. It showed it several times as she was meandering around, intact and unharmed. 😀 

Edited by goldilocks
On 7/19/2023 at 4:54 PM, SassAndSnacks said:

My dad was a plant inspector.  He retired in 2019 after almost 50 years at the same plant.  He had a high school diploma and started out as a mechanic at the plant in 1971.

I'm no Bree fan, but I think her being a plant inspector is plausible, especially then.  Of all of things I have to hand-wave to comfortably watch this show, this isn't one of them!  😉

I think it’s Sophie Skelton’s poor acting that doesn’t make it believable. Not a Sophie fan. 😉

• Like 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, ferjy said:

Whoa, I don’t think you got that most of my comment was just a joke! (running to see Mama and Da, not being as smart as her mother). Guess I’d better get the heavy sarcasm smiley out next time. But I stand by my opinion that she should have suspected. You hear that kind of buzzing and feel the dread, after you’ve been through it a few times and you should know, whatever circumstances you’re in. 

@ferjy True. I did not get that it was just a joke. Thanks for clarifying.

However, I still disagree that she didn't know what she was hearing. She was in a desperate situation. Recognizing that she was confronted with a possible time travel portal was an unexpected impediment standing between her and what was clearly a possible way out. That was her "prime directive"—getting the hell out of there and going home. 

When you've been "pranked" by your male coworkers in a malicious way—that could jeopardize your livelihood (if not your life)—it stays with you for a long time, takes over your thoughts... and you definitely need to vent... A LOT.

I know. It happened to me.

I viewed her reaction to the buzzing and the lights as her realizing what she was confronted with but it was just another obstacle. She overcame it, got out and put it behind her. 

I have no issues with Sophie's acting. Perhaps that is why I see it different? I'm sorry, I don't recall if you are among the many who don't like her acting. We all have the right to our opinions. I apologize if I came across as rude. 

It's been a long time since I last posted here. Be warned, I like to dissect episodes (if they don't annoy me).  It's been a long while since I've had anything to say about the last few seasons. 🙄

Edited by Anothermi
clarity
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jenn31 said:

I guess Brianna has no engagement/wedding rings. Or doesn’t wear them to work.  When she charged into the light, I was looking forward to her popping into Claire’s kitchen just in time for lunch. 

Not every wedding ring has a gemstone.  A lot of people wear simple bands.  And I don’t think Roger ever bought her an engagement ring because it was impulse for him to search after her in the 1700’s. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Not every wedding ring has a gemstone.  A lot of people wear simple bands.  And I don’t think Roger ever bought her an engagement ring because it was impulse for him to search after her in the 1700’s. 

IIRC he fashioned a "handfast ring" out of something non-metal. I remember seeing wedding photos in an article posted in the media thread where they displayed a wedding band on Bree's finger fashioned out of two metals (possibly gold and silver?)

Regardless of whether she still has that band; wearing metals or even items of clothing that could catch on the equipment (hence the coveralls) would have been against health and safety regulations even in the late 20th century. Bree's job was working with machinery and electrical stuff. I expect she would have complied with the regulations seeing as she was hired to enforce them.

3 hours ago, Anothermi said:

It's been a long time since I last posted here. Be warned, I like to dissect episodes (if they don't annoy me).  It's been a long while since I've had anything to say about the last few seasons. 🙄

We welcome dissection! Are you enjoying this season more than the last few? 

(edited)
20 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

We welcome dissection! Are you enjoying this season more than the last few? 

Absolutely!  But I have to confess that I have been spoiled. The Covid gaps were too much for me, so I passed the time listening to the books. That may be why I'm liking this season. The stories are moving along like they were taken from a reasonably edited version of whatever tome we are on now.  😎

Spoiler

I'm sure I've forgotten at least 400 pages, but the show writers seem to be stitching everything together expertly. I can't remember enough of the audio books to write opinions from anything but what I am seeing here. It makes this season feel fresh and the plodding meandering that I felt listening to the books has become interesting and dissect-able. 

I just started watching a week or two ago. Broke down and purchased a short subscribed to a streaming platform that offered a good deal (or so I thought), but airs everything on the Monday following the most recent airing. 

Just one more sleep 'till I'm caught up.  I like the casting decision on adult William. He comes across as a decent young man—which he should be given he was sired by Jamie and reared by John Gray! 😂

Edited by Anothermi
Put one section under spoiler
  • Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anothermi said:

Absolutely!  But I have to confess that I have been spoiled. The Covid gaps were too much for me, so I passed the time listening to the books. That may be why I'm liking this season. The stories are moving along like they were taken from a reasonably edited version of whatever tome we are on now.  😎

I fee like there's been a noticeable change of pace now that they know exactly how long they have, in a good way.

• Like 3
On 7/14/2023 at 10:25 AM, Hanahope said:

So Ian's Mohawk wife got pregnant while with both men and with pressure from her mother, determined it had to be the other man who impregnated her and not Ian.  must have been quite a shock when her son was born. 

Not exactly- Emily had been married to Ian, had a full term still birth and two further miscarriages. It was believed that she would never conceive a healthy child with him so her Mom asked him to leave. The man she’s married to now, did want to marry her before she got with Ian (but she chose Ian instead after he joined the Mohawk and not her current husband). Probably because Emily thought she wouldn’t conceive a living child with Ian and the other guy wanted to marry her so badly, she didn’t wait x number of months after Ian left to marry her current husband, but when her son was born with light hair and eyes it was obvious.

She has a newborn daughter as well, so it seems that her current husband isn’t upset and accepts the boy as his own (which is a good thing since he also didn’t wait before marrying her to make sure she wasn’t pregnant!)

• Like 2

My heart broke for poor Walter, who had his leg amputated and is likely going to be murdered by the British soldiers because he’s economically useless as an amputee, another mouth to feed, and a piece of property. Did anyone else get the feeling he was going to overdose on the ladiumn (spelling) Claire gave him? The only way I could see the British letting him live is if he had a special skill he could use once his leg was healed (blacksmithing or something of that nature). He’s not going back to his wife. 😭

• Thanks 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I'm sure I've forgotten at least 400 pages, but the show writers seem to be stitching everything together expertly. I can't remember enough of the audio books to write opinions from anything but what I am seeing here. It makes this season feel fresh and the plodding meandering that I felt listening to the books has become interesting and dissect-able. 

I just started watching a week or two ago. Broke down and purchased a short subscribed to a streaming platform that offered a good deal (or so I thought), but airs everything on the Monday following the most recent airing. 

Just one more sleep 'till I'm caught up.  I like the casting decision on adult William. He comes across as a decent young man—which he should be given he was sired by Jamie and reared by John Gray! 😂

I was in the habit of reading the corresponding book after the season…until the extra long droughtlanders came in 2020.. now I have read them all☺️.  I did prefer being surprised by the show ( rather than the books).  Definately loving TVWilliam. 

Edited by Cdh20
Not the book thread…oops
  • Like 3
30 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

I was in the habit of reading the corresponding book after the season…until the extra long droughtlanders came in 2020.. now I have read them all☺️. I think they are doing a wonderful job of trimming the fat from book 7. I did prefer being surprised by the show ( rather than the books).  Definately loving TVWilliam. 

I like William too. Of course he’s very privledged and you can smell the aristocrat on him a mile away, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a lovely kind young man with strong moral fiber, he’s always trying to use his position to help others and do what’s right. He has nothing to feel guilty about, that man was trying to kill him, but of course any decent person would be shaken up by having to kill someone. 

Quakers as a group have always been socially progressive, non violent, abolitionist, egalitarian etc, but William had a point, Rachel didn’t hestitate to call on William’s help when their lives were in danger. But I do think self defense is acceptable in the Quaker doctrine (at least now, not sure about then, if someone knows I’m open to being educated further). 

I like Rachel with Ian- I think they would make a good match, and Ian is so thoughtful, when he said he couldn’t ever get married again if he couldn’t give his wife children. Awwww poor baby- I’m glad Claire comforted him. He will make a good husband. I’m kinda sad he and Emily didn’t work out, but I like him with his Uncle Jamie and back with the main action, not raising a child in the Mohawk community. 

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was believed that she would never conceive a healthy child with him so her Mom asked him to leave.

To be precise, it was her mom who chose Kaheroton for her (as mentioned by her grandma) but it was her grandma, Tsotehweh, who broke the news to Ian and asked him to leave.

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

and a piece of property.

Walter's not a slave, if that's what you mean.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Walter's not a slave, if that's what you mean.

I meant as Prisoner of War. 

7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

To be precise, it was her mom who chose Kaheroton for her (as mentioned by her grandma) but it was her grandma, Tsotehweh, who broke the news to Ian and asked him to leave.

8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes you’re right thank you. 

• Like 1

Please remember this is the No Book Talk thread. Please go back in your posts and edit out mentions of reading the book too much here. I understand posters go between now, but please be careful and only discuss your experience with the show here and not the books or how well it has been adapted. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
On 7/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Thanks. I thought she might have had a brooch on the shawl or a hairpin. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, Anothermi said:

I viewed her reaction to the buzzing and the lights as her realizing what she was confronted with but it was just another obstacle. She overcame it, got out and put it behind her. 

She overcame it by jumping into it! Considering they don’t know for sure all the ins and outs, she could have ended up goodness knows where and when. I just think knowing as much as she does about it, the smart thing to do is avoid it. The girl’s got to be more careful! (Not getting ornery here, just debating. 🙂 )

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1
On 7/16/2023 at 1:29 PM, Cosmocrush said:

I was thinking they were still sleeping in the trailer since the bedrooms weren’t finished but after reading here I guess they are not.

I thought when Roger told Bree the kids were watching the Telly a they “had 15 minutes” to fool around  they were in the caravan.  

Either way, I agree he didn’t do a very good search.

Last episode we find out they had spent everything they had and couldn't afford the new estimate. This episode the house looks beautifully done although Roger is painting drywall. Maybe they sold those gold bullets, because the show didn't address the issue.

Why have Rodger lament not being the breadwinner, yet not show him pursuing any type of employment?

10 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Why have Rodger lament not being the breadwinner, yet not show him pursuing any type of employment?

That's what he's been doing for years. We were all yammering on and on for weeks about why not use the church as a school. He could teach basics. 

Why can't he work freelance for newspapers and wires in 1980? 

• Like 1