Type keyword(s) to search

The Curious Case Of Natalia Grace

• Start Topic

Why is ID even entertaining this girl? My opinion she is a liar, manipulative & evil... She is just wanting TV time.. And keep this stirred up.. she needs to leave this family only. And go on with their lives.. I don't understand why the father is entertaining this. If he wants this person out of his life why keep doing these stories. I'm tired of hearing that girls name.. I tried of seeing the commercial.. She needs to just go back to Ukraine and stop all this shenanigans... She is nothing but evil.. And fake.. " oh Micheal watched" no tears no nothing.. I watch Id all the time this is one time I will not be entertain by this story. 

• Sad 3
On 12/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, lkw said:

Why is ID even entertaining this girl? My opinion she is a liar, manipulative & evil... She is just wanting TV time.. And keep this stirred up.. she needs to leave this family only. And go on with their lives.. I don't understand why the father is entertaining this. If he wants this person out of his life why keep doing these stories. I'm tired of hearing that girls name.. I tried of seeing the commercial.. She needs to just go back to Ukraine and stop all this shenanigans... She is nothing but evil.. And fake.. " oh Micheal watched" no tears no nothing.. I watch Id all the time this is one time I will not be entertain by this story. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

On 12/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, lkw said:

Seriously? Ukraine has been a war zone for several years now . . . 🤦‍♀️

• Like 14
On 6/4/2023 at 12:17 AM, Hedgehog2022 said:

Yes yes!! I could not remember the show I saw but I knew it was either 48 Hours or Dateline. Thank you!

I saw that follow up.  That girl was named Caralee but she now goes by Sabrina Caldwell.  She is now a married woman with her own children.  She seems a lovely woman.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I am rewatching this and I am just getting madder and madder at those Barnetts. Disgusting people. Cruel, stupid, intolerable dickholes. Ugh, I should probably stop watching until the new show comes on; I’m just yelling too much and I wish I could slap those people.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3

My main takeaway from the current episode that's airing now - so Natalia said that she has no recollection of Michael coming into the room the night of the pubic hair incident that was mentioned in the first documentary. But in that earlier documentary, he said he did come in there when his wife called. 

Which now begs the question, if he didn't actually go in there, why would he say he did? Especially given he's currently under investigation for child abuse/neglect. 

This is the weirdest, creepiest fucking case I've heard in quite some time, I swear. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

This is the weirdest case ever. They covered a lot of stuff that was covered already. I’m surprised Natalia still has the Barnett name. Her family are the Mann’s. I don’t remember if they said they adopted her. 
Michael continues to be the biggest douche, liar ever. 

• Like 9
On 12/17/2023 at 6:24 AM, lkw said:

Did you watch a different show or this one at all?

• Like 10
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
15 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

This is the weirdest case ever. They covered a lot of stuff that was covered already. I’m surprised Natalia still has the Barnett name. Her family are the Mann’s. I don’t remember if they said they adopted her. 
Michael continues to be the biggest douche, liar ever. 

I think they refer to the Reverend Mann as her "guardian" so I don't know that she was officially adopted by them. She does seem to consider them her parents and they consider her their daughter.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I think they refer to the Reverend Mann as her "guardian" so I don't know that she was officially adopted by them. She does seem to consider them her parents and they consider her their daughter.

Yes, thank God they took Natalia in to their family. She seems happy with them.
edit to add: the ending of this episode was crazy. The conversation between Natalia and Michael was weird enough. He was a ‘victim’, oh please! What a drama queen. But when Natalia’s dad started talking abut God’s place and cursing it turned into chaos with Michael freaking out and running out of the house. Was the Rev upset because Michael said ‘hell’? I was confused. 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

The conversation between Natalia and Michael was weird enough. He was a ‘victim’, oh please! What a drama queen. But when Natalia’s dad started talking abut God’s place and cursing it turned into chaos with Michael freaking out and running out of the house. Was the Rev upset because Michael said ‘hell’? I was confused. 

Yeah, I missed whatever he said that upset the Reverend, too. And on that note, okay, I know he is a reverend and all, and if religion has brought some comfort to Natalia and the reverend and his family through all of this, fine, cool, more power to 'em...

...but the constant stuff with God and the praying and whatnot seems just as over the top in its own way. It's just...a LOT. 

"Drama queen" is the perfect way to describe Michael. Speaking of people who are A LOT... I like how he could not just answer any of Natalia's questions directly, he had to respond in a roundabout way and repeat the questions she just asked him and whatnot first. 

This whole thing is just so bonkers. 

• Like 13

All I want to know is why the Barnetts adopted Natalia in the first place, and to what end was the purpose of the re-aging scheme? I'm assuming I'll watch hours upon hours of this series and still not get any answer, but just become angrier and angrier about Michael's histrionics and the cruelty of this (former) couple. But I will watch...

• Like 9
43 minutes ago, rlc said:

All I want to know is why the Barnetts adopted Natalia in the first place, and to what end was the purpose of the re-aging scheme? I'm assuming I'll watch hours upon hours of this series and still not get any answer, but just become angrier and angrier about Michael's histrionics and the cruelty of this (former) couple. But I will watch...

Natalia did say how Kristine wanted to turn her into a genius and take credit for it. 

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Natalia did say how Kristine wanted to turn her into a genius and take credit for it. 

Right, but wouldn't presenting her at her actual age make more sense in that scenario?

• Like 4

That meeting between Natalia and Michael was awful.  All he said was how much he was a victim - ugh.  He is abhorrent.  I hope Natalia eventually realizes she’s not going to get much more of an answer to what happened than she’s gotten already.  Michael is interested in only himself and Kristine isn’t going to offer anything because there’s no defense for all of what she’s accused of doing.  

That whole part of the story where Kristine wanted to turn Natalia into a genius made me wonder what the story was with her other two sons, the ones whose faces are always blurred out when they show family pictures.  Why go outside the family when you’ve got 2 other children to exploit?

2 minutes ago, rlc said:

Right, but wouldn't presenting her at her actual age make more sense in that scenario?

I think by the time the re-aging took place Kristine discovered Natalia wasn’t a genius.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, rlc said:

I assumed that when she found out Natalia was just an average student or at least not a genius, they had to find a reason to get rid of her. That and how much money her surgeries were going to cost them. 

Just now, Cobb Salad said:

That whole part of the story where Kristine wanted to turn Natalia into a genius made me wonder what the story was with her other two sons, the ones whose faces are always blurred out when they show family pictures.  Why go outside the family when you’ve got 2 other children to exploit?

Because it would look so dramatic and even heroic. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, rlc said:

This is also bewildering to me. The Barnetts should have had to completed a home study with a licensed social worker from an agency that is accredited to do them for intercountry adoptions in Hague-accredited nations. It is a lengthy and detailed process  and a big part of it is for the worker to understand and document the motivations of the adoptive parents. Many people who start the adoption process do so because they want to “save” a child. Unfortunately, religious families like the Barnetts often want to “save” a child not just by bringing them out of poverty but by converting them to their own religious faith. Both saving generally and religious salvation are terrible reasons for adopting a child and should have been huge red flags. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

Michael is as big an abusive piece of shit as Kristine is. He has zero credibility.  He’s a raging narcissist who can’t see how he’s coming off because he loves himself and his victim story so much. It’s all about getting his gross face on camera-nothing about helping anyone ‘heal.’ God, I hate him.

And the narrative of the scary, evil girl from Ukraine also falls on the media’s shoulders since they presented that story from the start. If they had any decent researchers on their staff, they’d have found the dental records or Something that showed more than one medical professional stating Natalia’s real age. They’d have discredited the many neighbors they interviewed who perpetuated the image of Natalia has a scary schemer. There are alot of adults who hold culpability for Natalia’s abuse here. 

Once the dentist confirmed her age through the 360 dental scans, that should’ve been enough proof to stop that criminal re-aging to 22!  There should be charges brought against the judge who did that. 

ugh this whole story is infuriating 

• Like 17
  • Applause 7

Michael and his “I tried!”  temper tantrum was a pre-planned Act to get out of accepting any responsibility. When he saw his ‘Kristine made me do it!’ Crap wasn’t working, nor were his cutesy Golly Gee Who Me? replies, he latched onto any an excuse to Victim Wail his way out of the room.  He’s deplorable. Please let him leave and not come back. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
17 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

Michael and his “I tried!”  temper tantrum was a pre-planned Act to get out of accepting any responsibility. When he saw his ‘Kristine made me do it!’ Crap wasn’t working, nor were his cutesy Golly Gee Who Me? replies, he latched onto any an excuse to Victim Wail his way out of the room.  He’s deplorable. Please let him leave and not come back. 

He is disgusting and vile. 

• Like 12
(edited)

The fact that this garbage Michael compared his own abuse from Kristine to that inflicted on a tiny, orphaned, health-compromised, vulnerable little girl made me nuts! He gotta go to hell and soon. I cannot even think about this without feeling like I want to scream. How dare he? I hope something awful happens to him. (Or maybe not -- if his kids need him to be safe, then I take it back. Maybe.) 

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Why couldn't she do that with one of her other existing kids then? If its true, it's such a random and convoluted idea. Plus, did they think they could just toss her to the wolves and she'd just...forget? Did they not have a plan for when exactly this happened?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why couldn't she do that with one of her other existing kids then? If its true, it's such a random and convoluted idea. Plus, did they think they could just toss her to the wolves and she'd just...forget? Did they not have a plan for when exactly this happened?

Maybe she tried and it wasn't happening? Honestly, who knows what goes on with these people. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Pi237 said:

Michael is as big an abusive piece of shit as Kristine is. He has zero credibility.  He’s a raging narcissist who can’t see how he’s coming off because he loves himself and his victim story so much. It’s all about getting his gross face on camera-nothing about helping anyone ‘heal.’ God, I hate him.

And the narrative of the scary, evil girl from Ukraine also falls on the media’s shoulders since they presented that story from the start. If they had any decent researchers on their staff, they’d have found the dental records or Something that showed more than one medical professional stating Natalia’s real age. They’d have discredited the many neighbors they interviewed who perpetuated the image of Natalia has a scary schemer. There are alot of adults who hold culpability for Natalia’s abuse here. 

Once the dentist confirmed her age through the 360 dental scans, that should’ve been enough proof to stop that criminal re-aging to 22!  There should be charges brought against the judge who did that. 

ugh this whole story is infuriating 

Well, from my perspective, I could not just go by what the dentist said as I still had six baby teeth in my mouth at age 18.  They just never came out -- and I had one start growing in the roof of my mouth.  I guess I never kept track of which ones I had or had not lost.  Hence, braces from 18 to 21.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Maybe she tried and it wasn't happening? Honestly, who knows what goes on with these people. 

HAHA! Yeah -- please just apply this sentiment to any further questions I pose!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I Really want to hear her full side of the story, but wish it could be done without giving Michael anymore screen time. Every time I see his face, my blood pressure skyrockets. I get he’s a draw-people can’t believe someone like him exists and behaves this way-but I wish there was a version with him cut completely out. Kristine is smart to stay silent and let him keep burying himself. I swear, if some channel gives that slime his own show, which he seems to be aiming for, I’ll blow up my television.

Speaking of, the Adopted Dad/Guardian seems to want his 5 minutes, too. He was very different on the first version of this show. Honestly, He and his wife seemed like grifters. Now, he’s a Reverend so offended by the word ‘hell’ he has to completely derail the meeting. Can’t this poor girl find some non self-serving people to help her!?  Maybe the adoptive parents are awesome, and I’m being unfair, but usually when someone goes Full-God, they’ve got their own sins to hide. Hopefully, I’m wrong, but he was a bit too performative in his worship for me. 

loved the ‘are you kidding me!?’ Look on Natalia’s face when Michael started in on ‘I was a victim, too!’ 

Can’t wait for the other sons’ documentary special to come out in 10 years. We’re missing a lot there. 

• Like 14

My take away so far was that Kristina wanted to take in a disabled child to make herself look good to her book and care center (or whatever that place was) people. She tried to turn Natalia into a genius so she could use her to make more money like she did with Jacob. 
When she realized she couldn’t turn Natalia into a genius and the surgeries were costing too much she came up with the idea that Natalia was an adult so they could get rid of her. Why they didn’t re-home her is beyond me but these people were not right in the head.

agree that the Rev is being over the top with the come to Jesus stuff, wanting his fifteen minutes of fame too. Poor Natalia has never gotten a break.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

This is also bewildering to me. The Barnetts should have had to completed a home study with a licensed social worker from an agency that is accredited to do them for intercountry adoptions in Hague-accredited nations. It is a lengthy and detailed process  and a big part of it is for the worker to understand and document the motivations of the adoptive parents. Many people who start the adoption process do so because they want to “save” a child. Unfortunately, religious families like the Barnetts often want to “save” a child not just by bringing them out of poverty but by converting them to their own religious faith. Both saving generally and religious salvation are terrible reasons for adopting a child and should have been huge red flags. 

I am just aghast at how the adoption system failed Natalia and how bad it is. This sketchy adoption agency in Florida seemed to not be following any rules or law at all. Adopting any child, especially a disabled, special needs Ukranian born little person! There should have been an in depth, in person interview/interviews with the Barnetts and a full, in depth, background check on the Barnetts. Obviously, there wasn't any kind of information exchanged with them about Natalia's physical issues and the surgeries she would need. The family that just tossed her off to the Barnetts for no reason are just as bad as the Barnetts. Both these families treated Natalia like a dog they got at the pound and then brought her back to the pound when things didn't go exactly as they had hoped. It's hideous and disgusting. 

As for Michael Barnett...he and his former wife are sociopaths who saw $$$ signs  when they adopted Natalia. Kristine is straight up an evil person. Michael went along with her abusive treatment of Natalia because he likes his sports cars and all the attention he was getting. The system failed Natalia and my heart sank when she was speaking about being ripped out of first grade by Kristine. How awful for her to have her life change from being a happy first grader with friends and a nice school to being with Kristine every day 24 hours a day...treated like crap and even beaten. The pepper spray in Natalia's eyes was sick and cruel. How this woman was not thrown in prison for all of this abuse is beyond me. Natalia is a survivor. I hope the people she is living with are genuinely helping her and not using her for financial gain...I had read that there was speculation about them pilfering Natalia's disability checks or whatever assistance money she gets. 

• Like 12
(edited)

Dumbfounded. How was this child failed by every single person she  encountered? Even the seemingly well-intentioned neighbors didn’t call authorities on this girl who, even if she claimed to be an adult, could not care for herself and was mentally unwell. The people at the GED school didn’t have any questions? No competent adult professionals to be found at the mental hospital or in the Indiana court system? I work with disabled children & young adults, so my radar pings a little faster and louder I assume, but what kind of bizarro world is this? 

Another baffling thing: you can’t talk about watching your spouse abuse your child and claim any immunity. Your responsibility is to the child, and nobody cares if you’re (implausibly) afraid of your wife. Women are prosecuted when they turn a blind eye to boyfriends/husbands injuring their children. They go to jail. What the fuck. Another failure is Michael and Kristine walking around free on the planet. Anybody know what happened to her?

ETA: Of course he could be fabricating that. But if true, he would be equally guilty. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Like 8
  • Applause 9
31 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I hope the people she is living with are genuinely helping her and not using her for financial gain...I had read that there was speculation about them pilfering Natalia's disability checks or whatever assistance money she gets. 

I have also read some speculation but she seems to be doing well all things considered. I remember Michael complaining that they were spending the money on food. Well, yes, they are feeding her, clothing her and housing her, which is more than he did. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)

The people Michael was talking about are not the people we saw on the new episode (the Manses?). The woman who he accused was named Kyna. And although she did use Natalia's food money to buy food, she also took Natalia in and took care of her. I personally think she seemed legit, but probably didn't have a lot of dough to spare, so she used Natalia's money to offset some of the expenses. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, RedInk said:

The people at the GED school didn’t have any questions? No competent adult professionals to be found at the mental hospital or in the Indiana court system? I work with disabled children & young adults, so my radar pings a little faster and louder I assume, but what kind of bizarro world is this? 

Another failure is Michael and Kristine walking around free on the planet. Anybody know what happened to her?

I’ve been wondering about the GED place too.  In last night’s episode they showed the paperwork for the GED place saying Grade 9 (or something like that) - that’s a huge jump for someone who at the time had a 1st grade education.  Did they ever test her before hand?   Oh wait, they probably got the snow job about the “Barnett Academy” and those “courses” she took, lol. 

About Michael and Kristine IMO Michael’s milking this series for all its worth apparently.  I wish we didn’t have to watch any new material with him at all last night.  I guess Kristine is keeping a low profile, lol.  I’ll say it again, these two are very, very lucky they weren’t sent to prison for what they did to Natalia.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

My take away so far was that Kristina wanted to take in a disabled child to make herself look good to her book and care center (or whatever that place was) people. She tried to turn Natalia into a genius so she could use her to make more money like she did with Jacob. 
When she realized she couldn’t turn Natalia into a genius and the surgeries were costing too much she came up with the idea that Natalia was an adult so they could get rid of her. Why they didn’t re-home her is beyond me but these people were not right in the head.

This. They wanted the "hero" story of saving a young girl from a country that was so full of strife and who needed to be rescued and discovering she had some special gift that they could make a big to do about, and that would get them media attention and praise and all kinds of support and so on and so forth. 

And, well, obviously, that did not happen.

I also feel like there's another very obvious reason they were so cagey about her age, a reason that both these documentaries are dancing around without coming right out and saying what that reason is, but, yeah, let's just say I get the unsettled feeling there's another reason for Michael's histrionics and his very vocal defense of himself. 

5 hours ago, Pi237 said:

The dentist's reaction to learning about how this stuff with Natalia was handled was amazing, He was as stunned as us viewers are. 

2 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I am just aghast at how the adoption system failed Natalia and how bad it is. This sketchy adoption agency in Florida seemed to not be following any rules or law at all. Adopting any child, especially a disabled, special needs Ukranian born little person! ere should have been an in depth, in person interview/interviews with the Barnetts and a full, in depth, background check on the Barnetts. 

Seriously, there's all this talk about this being a closed adoption, and I don't know what all the laws and regulations are with this stuff and how it varies from state to state versus national laws, but somebody, at some point, should've gotten a lawyer and been like, "Yeah, we need to investigate this agency, there is something seriously shifty going on here." The fact the Barnetts didn't do that immediately after this supposed weird stuff started happening shortly after they'd adopted her was among the first of (very, VERY many) red flags for me about this couple when I saw the first documentary. 

I would not be surprised to learn that "agency" is involved in some kind of trafficking situation, honestly. 

2 hours ago, RedInk said:

Dumbfounded. How was this child failed by every single person she  encountered? Even the seemingly well-intentioned neighbors didn’t call authorities on this girl who, even if she claimed to be an adult, could not care for herself and was mentally unwell. The people at the GED school didn’t have any questions? No competent adult professionals to be found at the mental hospital or in the Indiana court system? I work with disabled children & young adults, so my radar pings a little faster and louder I assume, but what kind of bizarro world is this? 

This. All of this. This is the main thing that kept sticking with me in the first documentary and it's the same thing I can't get past here, too. We hear all the time about how people need to report this stuff, how these people are in trusted positions to do something about this, it's part of their job, etc....

...and yet, when we have an actual situation that would be worthy of that kind of response...nothing. And people wonder why those who are abused are often so reticent to come forward. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My main takeaway from the current episode that's airing now - so Natalia said that she has no recollection of Michael coming into the room the night of the pubic hair incident that was mentioned in the first documentary. But in that earlier documentary, he said he did come in there when his wife called. 

Which now begs the question, if he didn't actually go in there, why would he say he did? Especially given he's currently under investigation for child abuse/neglect. 

This is the weirdest, creepiest fucking case I've heard in quite some time, I swear. 

When he first started the pubic hair story was when they were using it as “proof” that Natalia lied about her age. The charges came way after, so he couldn’t walk it back. 

19 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Yes, thank God they took Natalia in to their family. She seems happy with them.
edit to add: the ending of this episode was crazy. The conversation between Natalia and Michael was weird enough. He was a ‘victim’, oh please! What a drama queen. But when Natalia’s dad started talking abut God’s place and cursing it turned into chaos with Michael freaking out and running out of the house. Was the Rev upset because Michael said ‘hell’? I was confused. 

Michale just wants to be the most specialist snowflake in any situation, which is why he now is saying he was just as much of a victim, which… gross.

How does the Reverend go through every single day if just the word “hell” was weight to make him freak out?  Does he scream at every single person he comes across who says hell? 

I am sure the Mannses are overall better than the Barnett’s (since they are truly monsters), but the overzealousness is such a huge red flag to me as well. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

The religious man should've stayed out of it. Cursing is the least of their problems. I hope the religious family is good for her. 

Agreed. It's fine for him to be there to support Natalia but he was just raising drama with the "no cussing" thing.

I keep thinking about the aging scheme and one thing occurs to me. Once the Barnetts adopted Natalia, they were financially on the hook for her. They could turn her over to child protective services in their state, but the state would have charged them child support until Natalia was 18, based on their income and assets (unless she was adopted by another family). If they kept her, they were legally obligated to support her financially until she was 18. There weren't (and still aren't) systems in place to "re-home" children legally once they are adopted so that wasn't a potential out. As outlandish as it was, aging Natalia up to past 18 gave the Barnett's an immediate, legal way to end their financial responsibility for her. 

I still can't quite believe that Kristine is actually smart enough to have remained quiet. Michael is obviously a loon and someone should really tell him to shut up already. But Kristine, as best I can tell, is really keeping a quiet low profile. Has she said anything since all this got stirred up?

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I keep thinking about the aging scheme and one thing occurs to me. Once the Barnetts adopted Natalia, they were financially on the hook for her. They could turn her over to child protective services in their state, but the state would have charged them child support until Natalia was 18, based on their income and assets (unless she was adopted by another family). If they kept her, they were legally obligated to support her financially until she was 18. There weren't (and still aren't) systems in place to "re-home" children legally once they are adopted so that wasn't a potential out. As outlandish as it was, aging Natalia up to past 18 gave the Barnett's an immediate, legal way to end their financial responsibility for her. 

I also feel like it's not a coincidence that they picked someone like Natalia, whose situation was the sort that would've made it harder for her to have a definitive birth certificate, thus making it much easier for them to concoct their scheme. Which would imply/indicate that they'd been plotting this kind of scheme even before they met Natalia (and if that's the case, that just adds to the "yikes" of this entire story)....

...and which also makes it all the more hilarious and amazing that their scheme has backfired on them so spectacularly. They may not be in jail at the moment, but I still feel like the fact this is getting exposed at all is the universe's way of saying, "That's karma for ya." 

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I still can't quite believe that Kristine is actually smart enough to have remained quiet. Michael is obviously a loon and someone should really tell him to shut up already. But Kristine, as best I can tell, is really keeping a quiet low profile. Has she said anything since all this got stirred up?

Not that I’m aware of.  It appears the only talking she’s done is through the text messages she exchanged with Michael.  What I find interesting is this series has been showing only Michael’s video testimony and not Kristine’s. They were both charged, why haven’t we seen anything related to her testimony?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Not that I’m aware of.  It appears the only talking she’s done is through the text messages she exchanged with Michael.  What I find interesting is this series has been showing only Michael’s video testimony and not Kristine’s. They were both charged, why haven’t we seen anything related to her testimony?

I wonder if they need her permission to use her testimony? But they are using Michaels which is making him look like the liar he is. Maybe they offered him a lot of money? So I don’t know.

I wish they wouldn’t focus so much on Michael. I also wish they had dug more into why the hospital workers and neighbors said what they said about Natalia during the first documentary. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

Well, Kristine did just say one thing in this episode that I agree wholeheartedly with, during her recorded conversation with Michael:

"It would be very nice if you would just quit talking. Quit it." 

Amen to that. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8

They were both charged, why haven’t we seen anything related to her testimony?

Did she testify in his trial? She herself was not tried; she was charged but the charges against her were eventually dropped. I wonder if they can be re-filed; if so, that's strong motivation for her to stay quiet.

Well, Kristine did just say one thing in this episode that I agree wholeheartedly with, during her recorded conversation with Michael:

"It would be very nice if you would just quit talking. Quit it." 

Kristine has said and done many questionable things but that's some sound advice right there.

• Like 5

I watched the first show, and I’ve seen the 2 new episodes. I have a feeling that when this is over, we still won’t have the entire story. 

Kristine and Michael are definitely disgusting human scum, and I’m hoping that her new parents are 100% legit, but I have a bad feeling that they aren’t.  The husband especially is giving me bad vibes or whatever. He’s just a bit too (verbally) aggressive.  I don’t trust that his household is as perfect as they’re making it out to be. 

And I know that Natalia has been through so many truly awful things in her life, but I didn’t see any tears when she cried. Maybe I just didn’t see them? 

Honestly, I think as long as they’re treating Natalia well, and not just using her, then that’s what really matters. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, rlc said:

I think that the re-aging came after she realized that she couldn't make Natalia a genius nor could she miraculous do anything to show people how she was such a good mom. 

• Like 7

Are people sworn in when they give a deposition? Because, if they are, I seriously hope Michael will be prosecuted for perjury for claiming that Natalia "ate her period blood" in an effort to conceal having a menstrual cycle at 8 years old. (Which, by the way, she did not have.)

(edited)

What really pisses me off is that it seems like a decent amount of people are blindly believing reports of pubic hair and periods and various other things. These Barnetts documented so many other random things (that, curiously, didn't necessarily put a remotely positive light onto them) -- like Natalia facing a wall...like Kristine scolding her...like Natalia pouring Windex (or whatever it was) into a coffee cup (which, [1] who the holy fuck wouldn't smell that before taking a sip, and [2] if you saw her pour it, why would you then drink it and then need poison control?)...like the family sitting around on the sidewalk (?)... . So why is there no documentation of pubic hair and/or periods? (I get that this would not be what normal people would photograph/video, but these have proven to be abnormal people -- and that is being kind). 

I despise the lady at the first apartment. For one thing, she is mind-numbingly stupid, judgmental, and inarticulate. Also, she says things that she thinks prove that Natalia was an adult, but they pretty much do the opposite, in my opinion. She's an old see-you-next-Tuesday. I wonder if the younger couple from that apartment complex was contacted for this and decided against it after learning who Natalia really is.  

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 12
On 6/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital thought it was okay to comment on a patient at all, given confidentiality laws, especially HIPAA.  I wonder if those anonymous interviews were even real. If they were real it was certainly unethical of the workers. If not real, it was unethical of the filmmakers.

I missed this in the series (binged the whole thing last night and WHOA), but did they release these opinions before or after Natalia (actually, not legally) turned 18? She may have given them permission to disclose. Hell, even if it was before she was 18, she was "legally" over 18 and could have been coerced to provide permission to disclose.

Ditto the dentist. Given his overall professionalism, I'm sure he was following HIPAA laws and would only speak on camera or otherwise with explicit permission from Natalia herself.

And should any of this new information reach the level of legal evidentiary support (provided it meets the chain of custody standards and is verified), yes, Michael can be retried on it. He's a dumbass but he's right that he can't be retried on the previous evidence, but if there's new evidence, he can be charged on that, and so can Kristine. And if the new evidence sheds a different light on the old evidence from the first trial, it can be reintroduced into a new trial. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time Michael sees the inside of a courtroom. I have a feeling his theatrics will be tempered a bit the second time around. We can hope, anyway.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I despise the lady at the first apartment. For one thing, she is mind-numbingly stupid, judgmental, and inarticulate. Also, she says things that she thinks prove that Natalia was an adult, but they pretty much do the opposite, in my opinion. She's an old see-you-next-Tuesday. I wonder if the younger couple from that apartment complex was contacted for this and decided against it after learning who Natalia really is.  

I thought the follow up with that old woman last night was a waste of time.  Who cares what she thinks. She’ll never be convinced that Natalia was unfairly aged up.  Through all of the Natalia’s revisiting the past and talking with people from her time with the Barnetts I hope she finds the peace she needs to move on with her life.  IMO I think it’s a waste of time only because you’ll never get these people to actually tell you anything meaningful.  

Something that angered me was the part of the story where they mentioned the people who were responsible for her re-aging besides the judge - the family friend/physician and the social worker (or whatever her title was, she wasn’t qualified to determine Natalia’s true age).  I guess they couldn’t get them on camera for an interview like they did with the dentist. 

12 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

And should any of this new information reach the level of legal evidentiary support (provided it meets the chain of custody standards and is verified), yes, Michael can be retried on it. He's a dumbass but he's right that he can't be retried on the previous evidence, but if there's new evidence, he can be charged on that, and so can Kristine. And if the new evidence sheds a different light on the old evidence from the first trial, it can be reintroduced into a new trial. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time Michael sees the inside of a courtroom. I have a feeling his theatrics will be tempered a bit the second time around. We can hope, anyway.

I think Natalia said something about suing them in last night’s episode?  Kristine may think she’s “done” with Natalia  - maybe that’s why we haven’t heard anything from her but I suspect it’s not really over yet.  

• Like 11