Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Infinite Shadows

• Start Topic

As Kyle and Nadia land at an old safehouse, small clues about their past life together bubble to the surface. Soon, they discover a former ally who may be key to stopping Manticore is imprisoned in a facility in Morocco. In order to rescue him they first have to enlist the help of a local crime boss. But their mission is compromised as secrets of the past are unearthed.

(edited)

So they spent about a third of the episode, or more, on a pointless flashback just so the stars could have a lame make out scene without having Mason/Lyle cheat on his wife.

They also need to stop it with the upside down shots slowly turning right side up and vice versa. It's too pretentious for a show that is this level of dip shittery.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3
(edited)

This episode barely had any substance. The entire flashback was not only pointless, it was just there so that we could have some more blood and gore scenes. 

This episode, and the silly revelation, did make me realize that they need to embrace the over the top hamminess in season two. This reminded me of the serious tone of the first few seasons of the British TV show the Avengers, and how that show found its footing and audience by being more tongue in cheek and absurd during the second or third season. 

The pointlessness of the episode also really makes me think that they need to do an audit in order to figure out where did that $300 million go.

Edited by BellaBabe2022
  • Like 2

It was really obvious that Kyle/Mason's wife was a Manticore agent, as soon as she said she was in an accident and lost her memory.

Isn't Stanley Tucci supposed to be the top Citadel guy/administrator?  I'm still beyond amazed that he didn't think to disable the tracker in the case and get himself captured.  Wouldn't he have noticed the SUV speeding up behind them?  And now he's getting tortured and losing teeth.

Glad that Nadia mentioned she disabled the tracker.  That should have been done immediately.  I'm curious as to how or why she betrayed Mason.

Also, the agent Carter in Morocco that Nadia and Mason are going to find... isn't he compromised?  I thought one of the Manticore agents or Dahlia said his name, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

• Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

Also, the agent Carter in Morocco that Nadia and Mason are going to find... isn't he compromised?  I thought one of the Manticore agents or Dahlia said his name, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Dahlia told Orlick she had turned Carter Spence, yes. 

Sure, the plot holes are there, but it’s so over-the-top fun, I can’t bring myself to care. (I mean, a spy agency loyal to no nation but dedicated to the side of Good? In the fine tradition of CONTROL? Or UNCLE? Or, not to put too fine a point on things, the Avengers — Marvel or ModBrit version, for that matter. Sure, why not? It’s not like realism was ever going to be in the room.)

In short: Pretty people doing dangerous things with dazzling ease, with extra Tucci on the side? Aw, hell, yeah!

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Sandman said:

In short: Pretty people doing dangerous things with dazzling ease, with extra Tucci on the side? Aw, hell, yeah!

Yup, considering we're halfway through the season already, this is the approach I'm taking. Enjoy the flashing lights and Tucci of it all, disengage my brain 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 5/5/2023 at 2:21 PM, blackwing said:

Isn't Stanley Tucci supposed to be the top Citadel guy/administrator?  I'm still beyond amazed that he didn't think to disable the tracker in the case and get himself captured.  Wouldn't he have noticed the SUV speeding up behind them?  And now he's getting tortured and losing teeth.

This show is so over the top it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to get captured. It doesn't really make sense, but nothing does.

For that matter, I'm starting to wonder if Mason/Kyle is the biological father of Hendrix. I don't know if the timing works, and I won't bother to figure it out because it's not worth the brain cells. I'm just watching with the expectation that no plot twist too dumb.

• Like 2
(edited)

The only things missing from that downhill skiing action sequence were a backflip and a wink to the camera.
... and there may have been a backflip .. 

The agents are so blasé about their end-of-the-world missions that I struggle to understand what stakes I am supposed to care about.  Their star-crossed, double-crossed, amnesia-thwarted romances? Surely not. 

They should have cast Cindy Crawford in this .. .. she has also managed to not age a day in over ten years.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
grammar
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

How much do we think people really age in ten years?  With a good diet and skin care routine, I wouldn't expect any of these spies to look significantly different 8-10 years later.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2023 at 12:59 AM, Constantinople said:

They also need to stop it with the upside down shots slowly turning right side up and vice versa. It's too pretentious for a show that is this level of dip shittery.

Once was enough during the premiere episode.

Star Trek: Discovery bought the same camera rig and then overused -- to justify purchasing it, I guess.  Looks like they are doing the same thing on this show.

• Like 1

Anyone else getting the impression that Nadia had a child with Mason? In the first episode, shortly before the memory wipe, she said that she needed to tell him something. And in this episode, she got all teary-eyed when told that “the package” was “waiting for her.” Yeah, when Mason accused her of leaving (back in episode 1), and she referenced being off on a mission in Berlin, I think she was totally off having their child.

• Applause 1

I agree that this show is ridiculous but mostly watchable. What made me laugh during this episode was when Nadia is messaging the mystery person and they ask "is that really you?" and she just replies "yes" and apparently that's confirmation enough for whoever that was.

• LOL 6
17 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Anyone else getting the impression that Nadia had a child with Mason? In the first episode, shortly before the memory wipe, she said that she needed to tell him something. And in this episode, she got all teary-eyed when told that “the package” was “waiting for her.” Yeah, when Mason accused her of leaving (back in episode 1), and she referenced being off on a mission in Berlin, I think she was totally off having their child.

I got that impression last episode when she wrote a name as well as a location on her arm just before the memory wipe.  Now if this was something like Rabbit Hole, I'd expect that to be a deliberate misdirect, but I don't think this show is quite that clever.  (although I'll be happy to be proved wrong)

• Like 2

Manticore's Dame Dahlia must have graduated from the Dr. Evil school of Evil-doers:  “I am going to leave you here, alone with one henchman who is to torture you.  I feel confident everything will go as planned.“

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 5/7/2023 at 10:59 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Anyone else getting the impression that Nadia had a child with Mason?

That's exactly what I thought.  I told Mr. Stanwyck that the think Nadia didn't want Mason to know was that she had a baby and the mysterious person she reached out to is her spy mother who has been watching the child for the last eight years.

I feel vindicated that the wife is not all she appeared to be.

When Nadia and Mason/Kyle were making eyes as each other, I ask how the romance was supposed to work given that he had a lovely wife already - unless they made her a Manticore agent.  Lo and behold, we got the end scene that seem to confirm that she was.

Making his wife an agent brings up more questions - Manticore seemed to think Mason was dead so how would they have placed an agent with him to pretend to be his wife.  Then again, Twin 1 seems to believe "Abby" is dead, so it doesn't seem like Manticore did put "Abby" into "Kyle's" path.  So, did Stanley put them together?  I didn't realize he knew Mason was alive - I thought he found out when the DNA was run but I guess the DNA was what made him reveal himself to Kyle and prior to that he had been content to keep an eye on him from afar.  

It's kind of mindless fun so I shouldn't let myself get so bogged down in the details.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

So, did Stanley put them together?  I didn't realize he knew Mason was alive - I thought he found out when the DNA was run but I guess the DNA was what made him reveal himself to Kyle and prior to that he had been content to keep an eye on him from afar.  

Bernard (Stanley Tucci) had to know that Kyle was alive since he knew exactly where Abby was since the moment she disappeared and if he was keeping tight tabs on her, how could he not notice she was married to his best friend.

On 5/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

The agents are so blasé about their end-of-the-world missions that I struggle to understand what stakes I am supposed to care about

I hate this. It’s such a common trope in these types of shows where the agents or all nonchalant and blasé about the missions and danger. It’s supposed to show us that they’re confident but really they just come off like idiots and you can’t take any of it seriously. 

On 5/8/2023 at 3:59 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

This is 100% going to be the big twist.

• Like 1

I wanted to type this upside down but the forum software doesn't have that capability. 

This episode felt slow. How something that jumps around like a hyperactive frog on speed can drag this much I have no idea. I do not care about any of these characters, there is no tension and I have no idea how this cost $300 million because the CGI looks like it was rendered on a 1999 iMac. A Strawberry one, probably. That was running upside down.

Oh well at least we're halfway through.  

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Oh and is it going to turn out that

Spoiler

Mason was the agent who sold out Citadel to the bad guys but now cannot remember?

Or will it be

Spoiler

his wife so we can get rid of her and he and Nadia can be in luuuurve and together4eva. Lotsa therapy ahead for Hendrix if so.

Also why would you name your child Hendrix? They should have more kids named Garcia, Joplin and Plant.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX