Type keyword(s) to search

Carol Burnett: 90 Years of Laughter + Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed it quite a bit too. And I bet there were tons more who would have liked to pay tribute to her in video but they only had time for so many tributes.

The only thing I wish is that she had a microphone.  She's still so very sharp and she was trying to roast Julie Andrews but couldn't because they didn't give her a mic until the very very end.

As much as I love the Mackie costumes, it might have been better for someone with hosting experience to do that segment.  Marissa kind of rushed him through that.  I get that there's only so much time but it really felt like someone off stage was yelling "move it, people."

The musical tributes were perfect, though.

• Like 2

I loved the clips I know it was supposed to be a tribute by her peers but what a bunch of self centered hams. The woman who said she got her start in Dreamgirls; started the whole show off horribly. Not what she said but her demeanor. My God she was insufferable. A classic definition of a diva. . Kristen Chenowith  & Bernadette Peters looked like plastic monsters. Would have been better if it were Carol & a few close friends & longer clips. 

• Like 1

Lovely show, but I would have made two small changes:

1. Instead of Amy Poehler introducing the Q&A, I would’ve had comedian Mo Gaffney do it — because she actually did ask Carol a question on the show when she was a kid. 

2. Why have Katy Perry sing the theme song at the end? Randy Rainbow would be a much better choice; he and Carol have a mutual admiration society. 

Loved seeing the close friendship with Dame Julie Andrews. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Family and friends?  What family?  Doesn't she have two living daughters?  And where was her husband?  Seems like in an event like this her family would have been included.

That's a good question! We just saw one tiny clip of Miss Burnett appearing with her late eldest daughter Carrie Hamilton (1963-2002) on the latter's series Fame (in 1987) with neither any oncamera narration or contemporary reflection by Miss Burnett herself!  Yes, it's public record that her youngest daughter Erin Hamilton has had substance issues and that Miss Burnett and her husband Mark Miller became temporary guardians of Miss Hamilton's younger minor son. But none of that got mentioned and her middle daughter Jody (named for Miss Burnett's adored but tragic father) also never got a mention. BTW, Mr. Miller and Miss Burnett got married in November, 2001 and, by all accounts, this has been a mutually satisfying bond and they've now been married longer than her previous unions- and, in fact, Mr. Miller and Miss Burnett herself were credited as producers for this celeb tribute airing on her landmark birthday!

Yet, despite this neither Mr. Miller,  the surviving Miss Hamiltons, Miss  Burnett's grandsons - nor even her younger half-sister Christine (born 1944) appeared nor got any mention whatsoever.

I get that they wanted to focus on Miss Burnett's career and did a great job with it- and I truly hope this will inspire more younger viewers to seek out her work on YouTube and other sources. However, I don't think it would have killed the flow to have had some mention of her family . I mean, even when her iconic ear-tug got paid tribute to, there was no mention that Miss Burnett originally invented it as an on-camera  signal to her beloved (albeit complicated) maternal grandmother Mae Jones Creighton White (1885-1967) that she loved her- and was sending her a support check!

My fave spots were Lily Tomlin's recollection of Miss Burnett singing HER praises despite Miss Tomlin being barely known in the public eye at that time (which, it should be noted were not unlike how Miss Burnett and the late Lucille Ball had been from early in Miss Burnett's own performing career) and that she got to spend the entire time at a table with her near-lifelong pal Julie Andrews. Yeah, the tributes would have mawkish and over the top had Miss Burnett's talents and lifelong likability not lived up to them but they did!

• Like 4

Thank you for your response. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who noticed the absence or mention of her family.  Other than that, it was a very enjoyable two hours, and I had a lot of laughs.  Carol Burnett is definitely a treasure.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty good. Not enough clips of her show, but I have a feeling that because it was on NBC and originally on CBS and other channels showing her show, they didn't buy enough clips to get a more thorough view. They didn't even mention that Bernadette Peters and Cher were on the show, but if you know, you know?? 

I thought the Darren Criss/Sutton Foster seemed like it was put together the day before and really don't understand why Katy Perry sang the finale. 

Loved the Bob Odenkirk/Vince Gilligan bit! But the Kristen Wiig, Laura Dern & Allison Janney bit was more like a roast!

Kristin Chenoworth looks like a wax figure, but Bernadette looked OK. 

Watch Four Seasons Thursday night and it was really good. She and Alan Alda worked well together.

Still needed more clips! Good thing it's on MeTV and other places, though!

Edited by Kristi800
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

NBC is rerunning the show on Sunday night from 7-9 p.m.

It apparently did well so that makes me happy.

I do wish they would have covered a bit more about how she got her variety show.  They didn't want to give her one but she had a clause in her contract that they would have to air a show she wanted to create for 30 episodes.  Even though the CBS VP said variety was a man's game, he had to air it.  The rest is history.

• Useful 2
16 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Ellen's "bit" was really harsh & I don't think Carol liked being accused of "stealing" stuff from Ellen's porch.  She looked pissed!!!

I'm giving Miss Burnett the benefit of the doubt and just thinking she decided to 'consider the source' re Miss DeGeneres. .. though I'd have preferred Miss Burnett to have just not have had Miss DeGeneres on. Thankfully, the segment was short enough to keep it from dragging down the rest of the show (and if one DVR's it, one can easily FFWD past it ). 

In any case, they didn't repeat the mistake of an earlier tribute to Miss Burnett's iconic variety show re inviting Jay Leno. Hence,  dealing  one bad penny for a brief time proved  better than  two bad pennies.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

I just watched this. I adore Carol Burnett, have since I was a little kid, but I kind of expected this to be the usual cringey Hollywood honour night. 

But it was awesome, because you could see how everyone there, and there were a LOT of people, just genuinely love Carol. Whether onstage or in the audience, there was so much warmth from everyone and it was a joy to watch.

I loved that her bestie Julie Andrews was sitting beside her the whole time.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

They didn't even mention that Bernadette Peters and Cher were on the show, but if you know, you know?? 

They did show a clip with Cher and Carol performing on the show and Cher appeared on this special where she said some nice things to Carol. I don’t recall about Peters

12 minutes ago, DanaK said:

They did show a clip with Cher and Carol performing on the show and Cher appeared on this special where she said some nice things to Carol. I don’t recall about Peters

Cher's mention was so quick! 

I don't remember any mention about Bernadette on the show. 

1 hour ago, Kristi800 said:

Cher's mention was so quick! 

I don't remember any mention about Bernadette on the show. 

Bernadette was shown in at least one of the musical clips from the show.

Can I just say that Cher's plastic surgeon is the best on the planet

• Like 4

I would love to see her show's episodes in their entirety, not the edited versions that air on MeTV at night. I watched it when I was a kid, and this show had clips I hadn't seen in ages, since they aren't among the ones allowed on the syndicated version. Surely CBS could do it since they aired the original. At least put it on streaming. 

I cringed at DeGeneres, can't imagine why she was on. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2023 at 11:48 AM, DanaK said:

This was pretty entertaining. I love the Carol Burnett Show and I wish it was available via streaming

It is!  If you have Philo, “Catchy” airs episodes five days a week.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, DanaK said:

This was pretty entertaining. I love the Carol Burnett Show and I wish it was available via streaming

The whole original series is available for free on-demand viewing on Pluto, Freevee and Tubi. 

• Useful 1