Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: The King is Back

• Start Topic

Capt. Glenn finally wakes up to some good news; the entire crew is invited to join the guests for dinner, and chef Ileisha must change her menu in the last minute.

Airdate: 04.24.2023

Hasn't aired yet, but I'm assuming from the title that Gary is back. It's weird that any group would invite "all" the crew to dinner. There is the issue of service. It's going to be unfair to expect two members to serve everyone, as well as a burdon on the chef. The right way to do it is hire freelance servers from shore and give the chef plenty of advance notice (like before the charter starts). I suspect producer shenanigans. We'll see.

• Like 3

The chef (and Colin) pulled off dinner for guests and crew, and it looked delicious. I haven't decided if Chase is getting a bad edit, or if Gary has the right to be so annoyed with him.

• Like 8

Gary is really coming across a bigger arsehole than normal this episode, purely because one of the deck crew kissed Daisy. 

He really needs to get over himself, he's not that special, either as a person or as a first officer, and needs to start acting his age.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, Genus said:

Gary is really coming across a bigger arsehole than normal this episode, purely because one of the deck crew kissed Daisy. 

He really needs to get over himself, he's not that special, either as a person or as a first officer, and needs to start acting his age.  

I don't see this.  First, it wasn't Chase that kissed Daisy, Gary knows that it was the long haired dude. Gary's issue with Chase is that he won't follow direction and is questioning his authority. Colin also noticed and encouraged Gary to nip it in the bud. Chase thinks he knows better than his direct supervisor. In the uber hierarchical yachting world, that's never going to end well.

Impressed with the Chef. Plus, she seems fun & friendly too. 

The drunk montage while a bit sad was also pretty humorous.  The setup for the Captain's quarters, with the deckhand trying to drop his water bottle on Glenn's head, continues to be problematic. 

Finally, nobody noticed S1 American Idol runner-up Justin Guarini?

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, snarts said:

I noticed, during the next charter meeting we saw his name on the paper but it seemed like production cut the audio as Glenn said his last name, it was odd. I wanted him to sing! Why aren't they making more of it and non of the crew has made a comment about him being a D list celeb?

The spit swapping in the hot tub was totally forced and juvenile, Truth or Dare at their age? 

14 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Hasn't aired yet, but I'm assuming from the title that Gary is back. It's weird that any group would invite "all" the crew to dinner. There is the issue of service. It's going to be unfair to expect two members to serve everyone, as well as a burden on the chef. The right way to do it is hire freelance servers from shore and give the chef plenty of advance notice (like before the charter starts). I suspect producer shenanigans. We'll see.

That whole thing was odd, what was the point?  Meanwhile cabins don't get turn down and dinner service by the interior serving and clearing for everyone, did the deck crew pitch in? Also they all had wine on duty, Sandy would have been screaming about maritime law and how unprofessional they all were being and how it is a safety issue!  

How can any of the crew constantly get so loaded and function in any capacity the next day then do it all over again a few days later? 

• Like 5

I don't see this.  First, it wasn't Chase that kissed Daisy, Gary knows that it was the long haired dude. Gary's issue with Chase is that he won't follow direction and is questioning his authority. Colin also noticed and encouraged Gary to nip it in the bud. Chase thinks he knows better than his direct supervisor. In the uber hierarchical yachting world, that's never going to end well.

I think it's a bit of both. Even Colin said that Gary needed to man up and guide Chase rather than just bellyache about it. Colin saw the potential in Chase and said so. Chase seems very eager and willing. I've noticed both he and Alex calling Glenn "sir" and that shows respect. Chase even called Gary "sir" once. Chase is kind of like a big Labrador puppy. I hope Gary doesn't kill his spirit by shitting all over him. He just seems mostly annoyed with him but damn, we've seen far worse deck hands on this show who didn't want to do anything and acted like they were just there for a vacation.

Chase does need to calm down and just listen and learn, and do as he's told. But so far this is one of the most likeable crews a BD season has had in a long, long time. Don't blow it! (I know they will.)

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Like a sea-soaked engine having undergone bypass surgery, these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast.

So right from the start we pick up on the drunken revel from the last episode.  No thanks.  These gratuitous orgy scenes aren’t even entertaining, they’re just disgusting. 

Alex unable to successfully negotiate stairs and doing weird things with his water bottle and Captain Glenn, Madison puking in the loo, Lucy falling out of her bunk, and later on, a prolonged shot of Alex in his underwear scratching his butt… stay classy, Bravo.

In looking at as much as I can with what is shown, it looks like Colin’s bypass of the after cooler involved stove pipe and wrappings.  No wonder he’s worried about temperature!  With reduced engine output and the heat, it still looks a bit dangerous.

This is the third season of BDSY and the “S” is for “sailing”.  Why is it every time the boat actually sails it’s a complete surprise when it heels over and we see drawers flying open, the galley in disarray, dishware breaking, etc.?

So, a bit of drama brewing between Gary and Chase?  Wonder how this is going to play out.

After being a star in the engine room, Colin is also a star in the galley!  Not quite sure about seeing the pasta draped over the hangars – I guess one doesn’t want to know how the sausage (or in this case pasta) is made.  I suspect far worse things have happened in kitchens I’ve gotten food from.  Once again Ileisha has come through and hardly batted an eyelash.  What happened to the tradition of unstable chefs?  (:

What will happen next week?  Will Gary and Chase battle it out?  How many ladies will Gary attempt to kiss?  Will Alex realise the anchor has been dragging?  Stay tuned, if you can fast forward through the naughty bits…

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

Once again Ileisha has come through and hardly batted an eyelash.  What happened to the tradition of unstable chefs?  (:

We are still early in the season, I think we will see a crack in the facade soon enough...first they have an issue with the Chief Stew then service in general then we get the demanding guests then the shit show in the kitchen.

13 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

How many ladies will Gary attempt to kiss?

All of them, the answer is all of them.

14 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

Why is it every time the boat actually sails it’s a complete surprise when it heels over and we see drawers flying open, the galley in disarray, dishware breaking, etc.?

I can imagine by the last charter they are lucky if the have a set of matching dishes and enough wine glasses, why is it the interior is always woefully unprepared for the heeling? 

My goodness that Chase is an eager young man.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

a prolonged shot of Alex in his underwear scratching his butt… stay classy, Bravo.

Heh - that was Colin. Alex sleeps in an upper bunk above Glenn.

After being a star in the engine room, Colin is also a star in the galley!

Did anyone else get a vibe that the chef has a bit of a thing for Colin?

This is the third season of BDSY and the “S” is for “sailing”.  Why is it every time the boat actually sails it’s a complete surprise when it heels over and we see drawers flying open, the galley in disarray, dishware breaking, etc.?

I suspect there are things that simply cannot be locked down enough and still have them convenient to use so they just have to deal with it. Like the chef has to prep meals while they are sailing, she simply cannot stop and wait until it's over. Whatever the stews are engaged in during sailing like cleaning and ironing and laundry cannot be stopped either, so whatever they have out they just have to grab hold of.

• Like 9
On 4/24/2023 at 2:44 PM, aqusdealer said:

13 hours ago, Genus said:

I agree, as soon as Gary heard this, his whole mood soured. He was being a definite jerk when he berated Chase in front of a guest. I felt bad when Chase started his shift and was worried the Captain would assume the streaks on the metal were his sloppiness.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Did anyone else get a vibe that the chef has a bit of a thing for Colin?

Like the chef has to prep meals while they are sailing, she simply cannot stop and wait until it's over.

Nevermind the chef, I'VE  got a thing for Colin, lol.

The chef is the one person I really feel for when they're "sailing" because it seems like Glenn gives them a 5 to 15 min warning re: heeling (I always thought they were saying keeling).  If I was doing dinner prep for 16 (?) people, there's no way I'd have time to stop and/or lock things up prior to sailing. Hopefully production or crew help her during these times.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

THANK YOU! I kept looking at him and honestly would not have recognized him except I just saw him on TV for something, so I recognized him on BD.  What was weird, is there was not even a quick blurb on our screen when showing his name.  Nothing.  Surely the producers had to know who he was.  I have to say he seemed pretty nice to crew so there's that.  But, wow, it must have been hard to fall into obscurity after his time on AI only to watch Kelly just kill it with her career.  Wonder what he is doing nowadays, well, besides showing up on BD.

• Sad 1

He was doing Dr. Pepper commercials for a while and is on Broadway. Peculiar that they're treating him this way, unless he only agreed to come if they DIDN'T highlight him.

I did notice this time that they were serving drinks for sailing in what looked like rubber/weighted tumblers. And while sometimes there's no wind whatsoever, and they have to jump at any sudden opportunity, it was clear from when they woke up that morning that there would be plenty of wind to sail right away, so I think that made the kitchen prep/menu planning a lot easier, knowing the conditions for cooking and serving at lunch time.

Edited by kassa
  • Like 4
On 4/25/2023 at 6:25 AM, Genus said:

He was agitated because he missed early production and another dude kissed Daisy. They had their first bacchanal without him. Man-bun is a man-baby. But he's a damn fine sailor.

I'm enjoying the chef, and she really met this challenge head-on.

I never fail to laugh at drunken pratfalls. Modern Three Stooges.

The sailing was beautiful. I can understand a person's desire to make a living on beautiful big sailing yachts, spending off-season in cool little European beach towns.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
On 4/25/2023 at 8:22 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

How can any of the crew constantly get so loaded and function in any capacity the next day then do it all over again a few days later?

I thought it was funny in a sad way that when the one stew called her father and said she fell he told her she shouldn't drink so much. THAT was the first thing he thought of??

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

I thought it was funny in a sad way that when the one stew called her father and said she fell he told her she shouldn't drink so much. THAT was the first thing he thought of??

He's probably pretty used to Lucy falling and injuring herself.  She said she is a bit of a klutz.  I also wonder if Welsh people are similar to the English Brits: somewhat stoic and no-nonsense.  Just pick yourself up and do a better job next time.  I can't fault him for his advice.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:00 AM, snarts said:

The drunk montage while a bit sad was also pretty humorous.  The setup for the Captain's quarters, with the deckhand trying to drop his water bottle on Glenn's head, continues to be problematic. 

I LOL'd and rewatched that scene with Drunk Alex and Glenn.  It seemed like Alex was confusing Glenn's head for a nightstand. Too funny!

Glenn and Gary were the guests on WWHL and they admitted to not knowing who Justin Guarini was.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

He's probably pretty used to Lucy falling and injuring herself.  She said she is a bit of a klutz.  I also wonder if Welsh people are similar to the English Brits: somewhat stoic and no-nonsense.  Just pick yourself up and do a better job next time.  I can't fault him for his advice.

It applies to most British people.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/25/2023 at 8:22 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

The spit swapping in the hot tub was totally forced and juvenile, Truth or Dare at their age? 

That whole thing was odd, what was the point?  Meanwhile cabins don't get turn down and dinner service by the interior serving and clearing for everyone, did the deck crew pitch in? Also they all had wine on duty, Sandy would have been screaming about maritime law and how unprofessional they all were being and how it is a safety issue!  

Maybe it's just where I'm from but when playing Truth or Dare (as kids, BTW), didn't you choose truth or dare before you knew what the question or the dare was?  

Anyhow, I agree the spit swapping was juvenile, forced -- and gross, TBH.  

I've noticed this every season so why would this be different but anytime Gary is complaining about a deckhand's work ethic, he's always on a smoke break.  Stay classy, Gary.   Colin is 100% right that if Gary were a proper supervisor/boss, he would get Chase in line and Chase would be a fantastic deckhand.   He would also realize that he was out for the first two (?) charters and so Chase and Alex had to make do on their own with Colin occupied by the engine so stomping aboard the boat and barking orders and demands without actually having a crew meeting and discussing things is counterproductive.  

I can't imagine that the owner of the boat (and the boats in the other BD iterations) aren't cringing watching a bunch of drunk, hungover and usually horny "crew" caring for their vessel.  Definitely a safety hazard but so far only Colin and Ileisha (sp?) have managed to control alcohol consumption and get decent sleep so they can work the next day.  

I still love Colin with the fire of a thousand suns.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

didn't you choose truth or dare before you knew what the question or the dare was?  

Fair enough, that is a good point but the question is always the same on these boats, "Who would you hook up with?"  Silly question because the "Dare," is making someone kiss someone else.

I see Chase going in one of two directions, one he will implode and will be fired or two, he will understand the job, stop thinking for himself, do the job he was hired to do and respect Gary's rank and become a valuable member of the team...which one do you think will make for more drama?

9 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Colin can err but I agree, he sort of can do no wrong.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Me too. I thought it was funny that in the first episode he said he was single now and could "have some fun," but he still opted out of the stupid hot tub games. Smart man. 

As a guest would you want to know that the crew was pouring alcohol in the hot tub (and probably other unmentionable stuff)?

• Like 6
On 4/25/2023 at 3:25 AM, Genus said:

I think Gary is one of the best first officers in the entire BD franchise.  He is excellent at his job and also at teaching his crew.  I find him funny af, but then again, a man with a great sense of humor is a must for me.  At least it was back in the day.  😉

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/25/2023 at 11:44 AM, Tanukisan said:

Like a sea-soaked engine having undergone bypass surgery,

I literally laughed out loud.  I always enjoy your Below Deck posts, @Tanukisan.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:55 AM, psychoticstate said:

I remember way back, before this forum developed into what it is today, a random poster said they "hated [someone] with the fire of a thousand nuns."  An effing hilarious typo that other posters re-used many times.  This would have been back in the Mighty Big TV or TWoP days with Sars and Wing Chun.

Edited by Oosala
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, Oosala said:

I think Gary is one of the best first officers in the entire BD franchise.  He is excellent at his job and also at teaching his crew.  I find him funny af, but then again, a man with a great sense of humor is a must for me.  At least it was back in the day.  😉

He's good at teaching and he is an extremely talented sailor. However, he still needs to work on his approach to those eager young 'uns who want to show off to him, what they know.

If he had THANKED Alex and Chase for accepting the challenge of a leaderless first charter, he could then say, "Sorry, but now you'll have to unlearn what you did, so I can show you the accepted (ie: MY) procedure for this boat." Easy peasy, no egos crushed 

On 5/1/2023 at 12:21 PM, Oosala said:

@Tanukisan.

This would have been back in the Mighty Big TV or TWoP days with Sars and Wing Chun.

I LOVED when it was TWoP. I felt we received a little more leeway with our posts, before being censored... Lol ... Not that I ever was, ahem...

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 4/25/2023 at 5:22 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Oh to be young, again. That could've been me from my 19th to 35th birthday. As long as I got one good sleep every 4 days, I was good to go. Their jobs are so physical, I imagine they sleep well when they go down.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:26 AM, gaPeach said:

THANK YOU! I kept looking at him and honestly would not have recognized him except I just saw him on TV for something, so I recognized him on BD.  What was weird, is there was not even a quick blurb on our screen when showing his name.

I think he's only recognizable to Americans, or viewers who watch Idol.

• Like 2