Type keyword(s) to search

Why Grammar Matters: A Place To Discuss Matters Of Grammar

Message added by JTMacc99,

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Start Topic

Well, some of them were funny so thanks, ethalfrida, for the chuckles 🤓.  My MIL would say "unthaw". I mentioned the "nip it in the butt" one at my coffee group this morning. Big hit!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, some of them were funny so thanks, ethalfrida, for the chuckles 🤓.  My MIL would say "unthaw". I mentioned the "nip it in the butt" one at my coffee group this morning. Big hit!

Lol, right! Same here. Whenever I hear or read the phrase I think of Barney Phife (sp) sage parenting advice about Opie! 

Have a great one today, Annzeepark914…

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is it grammatically correct to say:

• I just wanted to see where we’re at.

I am not opposed to ending a sentence with a preposition, but is there something else amiss with this sentence?

I overheard it because I’m babysitting my 5-month-old Lambykins 👩‍🍼grandbaby because his daycare thought he had a fever yesterday. My daughter works from home, so I overheard bits of a Zoom. All participants have masters degrees.
It seems lapses into casual, informal speech are common in the middle of a discussion using formal language.
I do it too.

Just wondering.

Edited by shapeshifter
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I stopped reading at "here's my two cents."

Was it something in the writer's POV on the grammar issue in that section, or something in the phrase "here's my two cents"? Because I don't see an error in the latter. (I suppose one might say "here are my two cents," but nobody says that.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

My MIL would say "unthaw".

My assistant said that this morning, and it wasn't the first time.

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't think so.  Besides ending the sentence with a preposition, the "at" is unnecessary.  I just wanted to see where we are.

17 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Barney Phife

It's Fife. There were a couple of episodes where he spelled it, although a magazine article in one episode misspelled it as "Fice."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It's redundant.   I loathe it, just as I loathe "whether or not" and "new beginning."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

It's redundant.   I loathe it, just as I loathe "whether or not" and "new beginning."

"Free gift" drives me crazy! 

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Irregardless? Why yes, it's a wonderful restaurant in Raleigh, NC (hope it's still open). 

ETA: still open. I used to order the avocado toast way back in the 1980's. I think it was in the late 90's that they had a fire. The owners paid their employees the entire time that it was closed for extensive repairs.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

The one that always provokes fury in me is: "impactful". If that is really a word, then it is the number one most overused word currently. How about: "makes an impact", or "has a significant impact"...or better yet, find something else than "impact"!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Irregardless? Why yes, it's a wonderful restaurant in Raleigh, NC (hope it's still open). 

ETA: still open. I used to order the avocado toast way back in the 1980's. I think it was in the late 90's that they had a fire. The owners paid their employees the entire time that it was closed for extensive repairs.

They had an outstanding Sunday brunch, too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just an addendum on why "here's my two cents" (rather than "here are my two cents") is correct. "Two cents" in this context does not mean "more than one penny." It's a stand-in for "opinion." One wouldn't say "Here are my opinion."

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Just an addendum on why "here's my two cents" (rather than "here are my two cents") is correct. "Two cents" in this context does not mean "more than one penny." It's a stand-in for "opinion." One wouldn't say "Here are my opinion."

Unless "two cents" turns out to be more than one opinion that I have?
— which is always the case in my brain.

• LOL 4

Well, nerts to the "rule" about apostrophes. I tried omitting them but 1980s looked too needy, ya know what I mean? Not sure I can get used to the new "look". Are newspapers doing this?

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, nerts to the "rule" about apostrophes. I tried omitting them but 1980s looked too needy, ya know what I mean? Not sure I can get used to the new "look". Are newspapers doing this?

I'm confused.  Which apostrophes? and which is a new rule?

• Like 3

Trade books, fiction and nonfiction, have not used apostrophes in plural years for decades. In my memory it's always been "the 1960s," not "the 1960's." That's how the Chicago Manual of Style mandates anyway.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Trade books, fiction and nonfiction, have not used apostrophes in plural years for decades. In my memory it's always been "the 1960s," not "the 1960's." That's how the Chicago Manual of Style mandates anyway.

Thanks, Mondrianyone.  When I was a magazine copy editor in the '70s and '80s and early '90s, we also never used apostrophes for plural years.  I did not think of this as a new rule.

Now, let's not get started on apostrophes for the missing century, as in '60s.  That rule still stands--no?  And never two apostrophes, right? 

And that's my two cents.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Ha, at first I forgot the apostrophes in the decades!  Then I went back and edited.

We can get into a lot of boring copy editor style arguments about whether we should spell out numbers or not.  I say, pick a side and stick with it. 

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ha, at first I forgot the apostrophes in the decades!  Then I went back and edited.

We can get into a lot of boring copy editor style arguments about whether we should spell out numbers or not.  I say, pick a side and stick with it. 

Since I'm no longer writing for a foundation newsletter (never used the years anyway) I'll do whatever I'm in the mood for/to do/awww whatevahhh!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm vaguely aware that there's a rule where it's one way when it's at the start of a sentence and the other when it's within the sentence, but I couldn't tell you which is which.  I think I do pick up on it sometimes when it's not right, though.

My one numeral-related grammar peeve (or my 1 numeral-related...)  is when someone uses "1" when they mean "one".  But I don't think I've seen that on anything that has gotten past a copy editor.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 3:15 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

When I was doing some freelance side-gig editing of dissertations for scholarly publication, there were specific rules about spelling out the number if it was below, maybe, 10 (I always had to look it up) and to spell it out at the beginning of a sentence.
I no longer look it up — or citation styles either — but that work left me with an understanding of when something looks like it will be understood correctly by the reader
— which is a long-winded way to say:
Just make sure the people reading it will understand it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When I was doing some freelance side-gig editing of dissertations for scholarly publication, there were specific rules about spelling out the number if it was below, maybe, 10 (I always had to look it up) and to spell it out at the beginning of a sentence.
I no longer look it up — or citation styles either — but that work left me with an understanding of when something looks like it will be understood correctly by the reader
— which is a long-winded way to say:
Just make sure the people reading it will understand it.

Each publication has "house style."  When you work on a publication you have to keep it consistent and follow the style.  There is something arbitrary about that custom, but it is the custom.  I suppose to make things seem "professional."  That's why I was talking about boring copy editor style arguments lol.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:53 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Each publication has "house style."  When you work on a publication you have to keep it consistent and follow the style.  There is something arbitrary about that custom, but it is the custom.  I suppose to make things seem "professional."  That's why I was talking about boring copy editor style arguments lol.

I loved that stuff, LOL. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

I know this is picky but it is an ongoing peeve I see not just in random posts but in the newspaper from time to time: "lead" as the past tense of "to lead."  The past tense is simply "led."

Maybe what confuses people is that the element "lead" is pronounced like the past tense of the verb ("led").

Agreed! It seems like I’ve been seeing this more and more lately for some reason - like, multiple times a day!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
9 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

Using "lay" for lie:  He was laying ("lying!") on the floor.  Or to an innocent doggie: "Lay down, Henry!"  (In my head:  "Lie down! Lie down!")

I'm sure I make this mistake. 
Note to self: Doggies cannot lay eggs.

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

Using "lay" for lie:  He was laying ("lying!") on the floor.  Or to an innocent doggie: "Lay down, Henry!"  (In my head:  "Lie down! Lie down!")

Ugh.  If you feel the urge to say "lay", ask yourself what you're laying.  An egg, maybe?

Wou

Or it be correct to say "he lay back on the bed"?

Lay lie laid lying...

I'm not at all confident about any of the L words. Is there a mnemonic that might help? Something like "Fewer apples, less applesauce" which I've found helpful for the few/less issue? 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, ABay said:

Wou

Or it be correct to say "he lay back on the bed"?

Lay is the past tense of lie, so if that's the context in which you're saying it, yes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 6/11/2024 at 5:57 AM, ABay said:

Is there a mnemonic that might help?

Well, there's a partial one. If you have trouble with the present tense, you can remember that "lie" is in "recLIne" and "lay" is in "pLAce." And "lie" is intransitive while "lay" is transitive, but I suppose a lot of people don't know what that distinction means.

As for the rest of the tenses, you're on your own there. Most of the confusion comes from the fact that the past tense of "lie" is "lay," so they cross over. And from the fact that "lie" as in recline is also "lie" as in to tell an untruth. So people tend to shy away from saying that someone is lying in bed and are drawn to saying that someone is laying in bed, because there's no ambiguity to the latter. Even though it's wrong.

This is why I have a job. You gotta love English.

• Like 5
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

And from the fact that "lie" as in recline is also "lie" as in to tell an untruth. So people tend to shy away from saying that someone is lying in bed and are drawn to saying that someone is laying in bed, because there's no ambiguity to the latter.

So would:
"My ex could be found lying in bed 12 hours a day"
be a grammatically correct double entendre?

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

How would I know? He's your ex, not mine.  😉

Ooo, but I only asked if it was "grammatically correct," not true! 🤣

Feel free to use my query in a PowerPoint.😉

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

As for the rest of the tenses, you're on your own there.

Lay vs. lie is easy peasy for me, since it simply depends on whether there's an object, but conjugating the various tenses of whichever word is appropriate sometimes requires me to think for a moment.  Or two.

• Wink 1

Today, I saw, "I wish there was a pneumonic device to help me remember."  

But my heart rejoiced at the sign by the express lane at Target, which said, "10 items or fewer."

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 6:24 PM, Browncoat said:

But my heart rejoiced at the sign by the express lane at Target, which said, "10 items or fewer."

Normally I’m a less/fewer stickler, but in this case I might be able to accept “10 items or less [stuff]”. On the other hand, it should definitely be “10 or fewer (not less) items”. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1

A local store apparently solved the debate in the marketing meeting over the correct grammar, putting up signs that say "Up to 12 items".   🥰

• Like 2
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2024 at 2:57 AM, ABay said:

Would it be correct to say "he lay back on the bed"?

On 6/11/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bastet said:

Lay is the past tense of lie, so if that's the context in which you're saying it, yes.

Yes, because if you say "he lays back on the bed," it's present tense and would mean he had reverted to laying, for example, eggs on the bed again, as opposed to in the hen house, where he'd been doing it for a while.

On 6/12/2024 at 4:33 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Normally I’m a less/fewer sticker, but in this case I might be able to accept “10 items or less [stuff]”. On the other hand, it should definitely be “10 or fewer (not less) items”. 

I'll take a sticker of you advocating for the difference between less and fewer.  😉

• LOL 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, Ancaster said:
On 6/12/2024 at 7:33 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Normally I’m a less/fewer sticker, but in this case I might be able to accept “10 items or less [stuff]”. On the other hand, it should definitely be “10 or fewer (not less) items”. 

I'll take a sticker of you advocating for the difference between less and fewer.  😉

Thank you for making fun of my dumb typo within the edit window!  I always especially love it when I make mistakes in the grammar thread.

(Oh and for stickers, visit my merch page. Like, rate, and subscribe!)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I would be happy if the shoppers would not have more than 10 items in the cart! I hate when shopper with a cart load full of items is attempting to check out in the express lanes. 
I DO recognize this is a Peeve and not a grammar matter….

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I DO recognize this is a Peeve and not a grammar matter….

Unless you can find such an offender with 20 items in their cart who says:
“The sign said ‘10 items or less,’ but it didn't say less than what.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

...if you say "he lays back on the bed," it's present tense and would mean he had reverted to laying, for example, eggs on the bed again, as opposed to in the hen house, where he'd been doing it for a while.

I love that you are open to this possibility!

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thank you for making fun of my dumb typo within the edit window!  I always especially love it when I make mistakes in the grammar thread.

Now I feel bad because I didn't mean to "make fun of you", just share a chuckle.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

(Oh and for stickers, visit my merch page. Like, rate, and subscribe!)

7 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Now I feel bad because I didn't mean to "make fun of you", just share a chuckle.

Om my  gosh, I really didn't mean to come across that way!  I was making fun of myself, not making a dig at you.  That's why I made sure to add a "laugh" reaction to your post when I made my comment!

• Like 2
  • Love 1