Type keyword(s) to search

Ciao House - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And I thought Drew did step in and make some pasta after the extruder fail. It wasn't very good, IIRC.

I think he used the same pasta, just made it into a different shape.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Trey said:

I think he used the same pasta, just made it into a different shape.

Oh okay. I thought he made it from scratch. I remember seeing him running it through the machine to make the dough thin. Then cut it into tagliatelle. So I thought it was his. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Oh okay. I thought he made it from scratch. I remember seeing him running it through the machine to make the dough thin. Then cut it into tagliatelle. So I thought it was his. 

When they were being evaluated, he said "I didn't make the dough. I just cut it."

• Like 2
(edited)

I definitely agree with everyone's general opinion that this is terrible. The thing is, it could have been really lovely. 

I honestly suspect that's why Alex was on board, and it was centered on Gabe, although honestly I find him kind of egocentric and unpleasant, although that may be him trying too hard to be "judgy."

Unlike 99% of the people here, I like and respect Alex, and I don't find her cruel here or elsewhere most of the time (both she and Scott Conant and other judges have talked openly about how Chopped producers insisted they be cold and judgmental on the show, and were not even allowed to smile). I think she's honestly very rarely cruel and I think her nature is to be tough, but also kind. I find her consistently supportive, smart, skilled at what she does, and frequently very funny.

I do think we can see Alex realize, bit by bit here, what a disaster this is, both contestants and challenges.

I mean, I was planning on watching it anyway, because I will watch almost any food competition, and I (unlike most people here) adore Alex, so I was already in. But I watched the HGTV House Hunters International episode about it, and it made me really psyched for the show -- it looked like it was gonna be this soft, fun Top Chef in Italy kind of thing.

Instead, it's terribly planned, presented, paced, edited, etc. Despite the HHI, we learn nothing about the contestants and see no footage of them interacting, enjoying Italy, taking time out, almost zero. No time of them relaxing in the house, etc. It's so disappointing.

The irony is, I've also been watching a similar show -- The Next Baking Master Paris -- and that show has been killing it. Everything this show gets wrong, they are getting right. The prize is terrible, but we really learn about the contestants, share their joy of being in this idyllic place, they are skilled and (for the most part) kind to each other, and we learn about the different skills required for what they do, etc.

I will say, as a longtime "Top Chef" watcher, this show definitely shows how incredibly hard it is to do what Top Chef does right (and they make it feel seamless) -- even on lesser seasons, like the one taking place now.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:21 PM, candall said:

I don't know, people, I love this show.  I like the challenges and that the personalities of the various cheftestants can make a big difference in outcome.   The scenery, the food, the wine, beautiful Italy.  I think laid-back, smiley Chef Gabe is a good co-judge for Alex, who really has her mean on, for some reason.

I don't see this at all. I've seen a few bitchy moments from Alex, but they felt forced. Otherwise, I've felt she was far more warm and funny and kind with the contestants than Gabe has been. The judging for the first 2-3 episodes just involved Gabe basically lecturing the contestants like a wounded parent because their vision of some dish wasn't authentic enough.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, seacliffsal said:

I watched this because I did catch Gabe's episode on House Hunters International, so that cross-promotion worked.  However, I would be happier if we were seeing more scenery, etc.

I feel genuinely bait-and-switched over the fact that we were sold on how important the house and grounds would be to showing the contestants' lives and relationships as part of the competition, and instead we get NOTHING of that. Just some producer-prodded camera moments.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:11 PM, Leeds said:

Some of these chefs seem like they've had no training or have ever bothered to read a cook book or learn about technique.  For example, Trenica, who had apparently never heard of umami, wafts the flaming pan, made a stupid decision with making lasagne, and completely fell apart as a team leader.

Trenica was a full-on disaster. Twice in a row, she half-assed a dish (I still can't believe neither judge called her out for dumping canned tomatoes as her "sauce" underneath the meatball) then shoved it into the oven in front of her fellow chefs' horrified faces and muttered, "It is what it is." She is probably a decent cook, but she obviously doesn't measure or follow actual training.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:55 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I agree with other posters above that the show creators probably just made shit up on the fly and and didn't have a clear concept of what they were doing.

I feel like this is especially visible in the cook times they give them. Why not be like Top Chef and at least have some challenges involving 2-3 hours of real cooktime and preparation? 45 minutes, one hour, etc., are both just so ridiculously limiting.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, Ellee said:

I know what everyone is saying regarding Cory but I liked him. Instead of arrogance or overconfidence I feel like it was more determination.  I have more of a problem with one of the women — don’t know her name. 

I was prepared to hate him, but honestly he tried too hard to be bad. He turned out to be a decent leader in the kitchen, a good chef, and he was relatively respectful of others. And my favorite part was that he was all puffed up and arrogant, but the moment he found out that Saba was a Chopped Grand Champion, his eyes turned into little adoring hearts, and he would almost whisper, "She knows what she's doing. She's a Chopped Champion!" I found it kind of funny and endearing. He was all bark and no bite.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, Gramto6 said:

I somehow get a feeling that Alex was somehow forced into doing this show. She so obviously really hated being there. I watch her on Supermarket Stakeout, Alex vs America, and The Kitchen (though I don't always watch The Kitchen because I dislike Sonny). She seems very personable and nice on those shows and in her judging on other shows. She just for some reason didn't like Ciao-House. Maybe because it was so disorganized and just plain poorly done.

I love Alex -- she's one of my favorite FN personalities going way way back to early Iron Chef, when she would banter with Alton. She's witty and funny, smart, and I find her to be mostly kind in her interactions. I don't see the cruelty many here see at all. Is she tough at times? Sure. But I think she actually cares about the people she competes with (and judges), and for me that shines through. She was also just delightful on Selena's show.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:55 AM, seacliffsal said:

And yet the judges and the show format encourages the contestants criticize each other.  Don't act all innocent about their comments Alex when you helped create the environment in which they are competing.

The host of a show is not remotely the person who writes or creates the show. Alex is not listed as anything but a host on this show.

Do I think the show is a massive fail? Yes. Terrible challenges, stupid and arbitrary time limits, a self-perpetuating format that ensures no tension and maximum infighting, complete lack of insight into the contestants, etc. But I don't blame the hosts for that.

Edited by paramitch
fixed quote
  • Like 3
(edited)

Zev's bio on the Food Network website is kinda odd. I wonder who wrote it? Or do the chefs submit  their own bios? ...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/ciao-house/photos/meet-the-chefs-ciao-house-season-2 

Zev has been a culinary rebel since he was a kid and is always the most honest chef in any kitchen. Raised in a kosher household, he grew up reading cookbooks and magazines to expand his horizons and learn about different food cultures. To Zev, cooking represents freedom and creativity. It took him some time to fully appreciate Italian cuisine, but now he can’t wait to soak up all things Italy and showcase his talents.

Also, here's a recent interview with Tiana (no spoilers)...
Tiana Gee says her Ciao House experience flavors her culinary vision, interview
By Cristine Struble | Jun 1, 2024
https://foodsided.com/posts/tiana-gee-ciao-house-season-2-interview-01hzak1pamp2 

CS: The environment of Ciao House is unlike other culinary competitions. How did you balance working and living with the other chefs? What was your biggest struggle in the competition?

TG: This was by far the toughest competition I've ever participated in. Living with the other chefs for an entire season added a layer of emotional and spiritual challenge. Balancing living and working with the other chefs allowed us to get to know each other on a deeper level, which could be both beneficial and detrimental. For someone like me, who focuses on cooking rather than politics, this was particularly challenging. I entered the competition wanting to showcase my culinary skills, but quickly realized that strategy and alliances played a significant role as well. My biggest struggle in the competition was navigating these dynamics while staying true to my passion for cooking.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I am fine with Alex. This think her perpetual rbf gives the wrong impression of her. I think this 2nd season is better than the first.  Someone had mentioned at one point that they thought it was originally supposed to be Giada DeLaurentis'  until she broke up with Food Network .  I can believe that.

• Like 3

So, in the middle of tonight’s first episode, I suddenly noticed this strange guy hanging with the chefs. I finally realized it was Zev without his hat! He looked so different…I don’t know, it just made me laugh.

Even though he is very annoying, apparently he really can cook. But we’ll see how he handles being Capo. 

I like Austin, but he messed up his pasta so badly I was worried for him. But he was able to pivot get Phouc’s noodles done right.

I could have gone for some of that ribeye.

• Like 3

Zev as Capo?  🤯 Should be interesting. I'm not worried about the food, but he has 0 people skills. Wonder if they want him out? That child ain't right.

• Like 3
(edited)

I wonder if this site is going to publish interviews with each of the chefs...

Austin Cobb showcases his personal connection to food on Ciao House Season 2, interview
By Cristine Struble | Jun 2, 2024
https://foodsided.com/posts/austin-cobb-ciao-house-season-2-interview-01hzcrj9vqhj 

CS: The environment of Ciao House is unlike other culinary competitions. How did you balance working and living with the other chefs?

AC: Ciao House was a unique environment, living with my fellow Chefs in tight quarters.  I naturally have the ability to get along with most people and keep an even keel. I treated everyone with respect and focused my energy on making delicious food while avoiding conflict or drama.  

CS: What was your biggest struggle in the competition?

AC: My biggest struggle in the competition was staying focused every day and during every challenge.  We worked long hours while not having our own space or normal confines and freedoms I’m used to in my normal life.  

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

I think the right contestants went home this episode.  So far, the losing teams seem to be going with voting out the weakest whereas last season they voted out the strongest.  Drew was a good chef, but it was his decision to only go with one meat dish when the challenge was meat.  Although there is a strong argument against Stykt and her eggplant dish, his choices were what worked against them (although the meat dish looked amazing!).  It was a bit sad that he left as the judges really liked his pasta dish in the previous challenge so he has ability.

Love the cats.  Austin was holding one in his lap for a while.  The cats seem super chill and friendly.

IMO this is a much better season.  

• Like 5

Disappointed to see Drew go.  

Can’t remember how it works as numbers dwindle.  Is it always set up in teams?  Losing team always vote out?  

This season is much better than last season. I was fine with Drew leaving- it was a meat/grill challenge, and he chose to cook only one item from that amazing butcher shop. Also, he annoyed me when he made smug comments about the other team cooking steak (as if he owns steak) and serving beer (which is the traditional accompaniment to SE Asian cuisine).

My completely unsolicited and overthought feelings about the remaining chefs:

Ivan- probably my all-around top pick. Solid chef, and he seems very easy going and even tempered.

Austin- I like him way more than I thought I would. I'll be interested to see how he does next week as "Capo" (stupid term- just call them chef).

Hanna- She's a better chef than I originally thought, but too much of a control freak. These people are your fellow chefs/contestants, not your hourly employees. I have worked with women like her over the years (I'm a female in the industry). She likes being the only woman around. She gave Stikxz a big hug at the end, but she was very quick to throw her under the bus in her interview. She definitely wants to be the last woman standing.

Stikxz- I'm still on the fence about her cooking. I don't like how many dried spices she uses while she's in Italy in the summer and surrounded by fresh herbs.

Devan- I was impressed with him at first, but he has been hit-or-miss since then. 

Phuoc- I like him. I'm not sure if he's technically as adept as some of the others, but I can definitely see him making it to the finals.

Zev- I could not stand that Dopey look alike at the beginning, but he has grown on me. He reminds me of several men I have worked with who rub everyone the wrong way, but end up being your fiercest advocate and most reliable person in the kitchen. He could win if he doesn't piss everyone off too much.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, rlc said:

I'll be interested to see how he does next week as "Capo" (stupid term- just call them chef).

In Italian "Capo" means "Boss", the head of the team. "Chef" does not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I know these chefs are young but the whole hip hop chatter seems forced.

TV shows wants to attract younger audiences but a cooking competition show?

When they're rushing in the kitchen the way they encourage each other with some of this rah rah language is a contrast from the talking heads presumably done later when they're picking out each others' faults or mistakes.

Do they do these THs before or after they vote out the chef to send home?

Heavy tattooing is more commonplace these days but it's interesting that they cast some people who are pretty ostentatious about the tattoos and piercings.

I would think these chefs work or aspire to work at fine dining establishments.  Or maybe they just keep doing these cooking competitions and getting big social media followings?

Are they real chefs or realty TV personalities?

I'm not saying that they wouldn't get hired at fine dining places because of their personal styles.  They may be able to open their own restaurants so maybe the renown they get from these shows would allow them to do that, instead of looking to work for someone else.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

In Italian "Capo" means "Boss", the head of the team. "Chef" does not.

Yes, but that is not generally a term used in Italian kitchens.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Love the cats.  Austin was holding one in his lap for a while.  The cats seem super chill and friendly.

It is no surprise to me that the villa cat was at the table for the seafood challenge (also immediately after a commercial from Chewy on How to Please Your Cat).

In my 8th grade science class, we cooked frog legs (after we had finished dissecting said frogs), and every cat in the neighborhood showed up at our classroom window looking for a sample.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, rlc said:

Yes, but that is not generally a term used in Italian kitchens.

Calling the team leader "chef" as you suggested doesn't define who is heading up the team. They need to say who's the boss of the team. The show has chosen the Italian word for boss, Capo, like it or not. 

• Like 1

They probably wanted to play on the mafia connotations too with the use of that specific word.

Most Americans would know the word from mob movies and TV shows.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

Alex was yakking about the cats in the house, was that because of her Catwoman hair?

I think she was referring to a catty remark from a female chef (forget who).

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Yes, I noticed she was reacting to Hannah’s comment. No prob.

No excuse for that cat-ears hair style. 

That hairstyle is even worse when she's cooking. Cat ears and pigtails. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)

Hanna Haar feels Ciao House is a full-circle moment on her culinary journey, interview
By Cristine Struble | Jun 3, 2024
https://foodsided.com/posts/hanna-haar-ciao-house-season-2-interview-01hzf1cm5gv1 

CS: The environment of Ciao House is unlike other culinary competitions. How did you balance working and living with the other chefs? What was your biggest struggle in the competition?

HH: Ciao House is indeed unique among culinary competitions. Living and competing in close quarters was quite the challenge. Initially, we became fast friends, but the competition quickly became intense. One minute we were battling against each other, the next we had to work as a team. Chefs are known for their egos, aggression, and pride, and when combined with constant culinary and personal challenges, it created a very dramatic environment. It was an emotional rollercoaster to compete with a team one day, only to face those same teammates as opponents the next. No one could rest easy; no one was safe. My biggest challenge was persuading some of the more stubborn chefs on my teams to cooperate. Chefs are notoriously headstrong, used to being in charge of their own kitchens. It can be challenging to play on a team after that. 
CS: What is next for you after Ciao House?

HH: Like my travels, the road ahead is wide open and full of possibilities. I have more shows in the works and many plans in motion. I am currently writing several books, producing my own culinary series on social channels, and preparing for culinary wellness retreats this winter. I also have plans to open my own establishments and hope to announce them soon. The future is bright and brimming!

Edited by tv echo
On 5/30/2024 at 7:19 PM, paramitch said:

Unlike 99% of the people here, I like and respect Alex, and I don't find her cruel here or elsewhere most of the time (both she and Scott Conant and other judges have talked openly about how Chopped producers insisted they be cold and judgmental on the show, and were not even allowed to smile). I think she's honestly very rarely cruel and I think her nature is to be tough, but also kind. I find her consistently supportive, smart, skilled at what she does, and frequently very funny.

Well I like Alex too!

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
57 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Well I like Alex too!

Me three! I didn't care for Alex's 'tude last season, but for whatever reason, that seems to be gone.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Well I like Alex too!

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Me three! I didn't care for Alex's 'tude last season, but for whatever reason, that seems to be gone.

Maybe she got viewer feedback not to be so catty herself, just point out some of the contestants being catty.

If she responded to feedback, good for her and the producers to make changes.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Me four!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Me four!!

Me five!!!!! 

I’ve always loved Alex and have never found her to be mean. I didn’t watch last season though but on Chopped, Worst Cooks, Supermarket Stakeout etc she’s always been constructive. She’s definitely expressive though so if she thinks someone is a fool it’s pretty obvious but I don’t see any mean spirit behind it. They are huge fools a lot of the time!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, eel2178 said:

It is no surprise to me that the villa cat was at the table for the seafood challenge (also immediately after a commercial from Chewy on How to Please Your Cat).

In my 8th grade science class, we cooked frog legs (after we had finished dissecting said frogs), and every cat in the neighborhood showed up at our classroom window looking for a sample.

Wait, what? The frog I dissected in 8th grade was preserved in formaldehyde and had dyed organs - I will never forget that smell….

(We also sang “Froggie, froggie, you’re the one, you make dissection so much fun” to the tune of “Rubber Duckie” so…)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, ML89 said:

Wait, what? The frog I dissected in 8th grade was preserved in formaldehyde and had dyed organs - I will never forget that smell….

(We also sang “Froggie, froggie, you’re the one, you make dissection so much fun” to the tune of “Rubber Duckie” so…)

My 8th grade teacher believed in getting as much use of the frogs as possible (I don't know how he missed out on the singing portion of it).

He caught the frogs live on his farm the day before the dissection. First, we had a frog jumping contest. Then, we pithed them and dissected them. Then, we cut the legs off and fried them and ate them except for me (Jewish) and my friend (Seventh Day Adventist). The cats got our share. I was told it tasted like chicken.

No preservatives or anesthesia medications were involved. Just some sort of seasonings and a little oil.

Edited by eel2178
  • Mind Blown 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

My 8th grade teacher believed in getting as much use of the frogs as possible (I don't know how he missed out on the singing portion of it).

He caught the frogs live on his farm the day before the dissection. First, we had a frog jumping contest. Then, we pithed them and dissected them. Then, we cut the legs off and fried them and ate them except for me (Jewish) and my friend (Seventh Day Adventist). The cats got our share. I was told it tasted like chicken.

No preservatives or anesthesia medications were involved. Just some sort of seasonings and a little oil.

Wow! So very cool...

Ours came from some scientific house, preserved. We had to make our own wax trays to do the work in (ah, the 70s) - get an old pan and melt candle wax in it!

Edited by ML89
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, ML89 said:

Ours came from some scientific house, preserved. 

At least yours would stay still. Pithed frogs still squirm around as you try to dissect them which is really horrifying to the dissectors.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
26 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

At least yours would stay still. Pithed frogs still squirm around as you try to dissect them which is really horrifying to the dissectors.

Oh dear! I don't think I could have done that!

As a Physical ED major in college, a dumb advisor enrolled me in a Pre-nursing Anatomy class rather than just a general Anatomy class. We had to dissect cats and were "treated" to viewing cadavers... not something a potential  PE teacher really needed. No one could figure out why I was in that class...I just said that is what my advisor told me to take. I took her word for it.

• Mind Blown 2

(small voice) could we get back to the show?  I really don't like reading about the dissections.  

I like focusing on the live kitties that live at the Ciao House...

• Like 11
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

(small voice) could we get back to the show?  I really don't like reading about the dissections.  

I like focusing on the live kitties that live at the Ciao House...

Sorry, the conversation did drift off topic. I love the kitties at Ciao house too. I have 42 of my own here in my colony of feral cats.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

It's really no different than what happened to all those animals who ended up in the butcher shop.

• Like 2

Curious, does the FN feature any shows which make mostly vegetarian or vegan dishes?

I suppose the Next Baking Master features a lot of vegetarian desserts.  Lot of butter used though.

(edited)
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Curious, does the FN feature any shows which make mostly vegetarian or vegan dishes?

I don't think i've ever seen one, but then I wouldn't have necessarily been looking for one either.   If I am remembering correctly, I think Chopped may have done a vegetarian/vegan episode once upon a time. It is an interesting thought  though. I'd watch a show on that theme, just for ideas to add to my menu repertoire. 

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 1
Just now, chessiegal said:

PBS has a few. 

I don't know why I don't think of PBS more often! Thanks for reminding me!

Alex has another show, something like “The World vs Alex” and she’s hilarious.  Suuuuuper dry sense of humor.  I see her in a whole different light now. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
Just now, Meowwww said:

Alex has another show, something like “The World vs Alex” and she’s hilarious.  Suuuuuper dry sense of humor.  I see her in a whole different light now. 

It's Alex vs. America. 😀

And yes, she shows her very dry sense of humor. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Yeah, I really like it. She's very funny and smart, which is my favorite thing about her, and she's also consistently kind and complimentary to her competitors (win or lose). The fun part for me is that she is very open about the food-competition process and how weird and fun it is for her.

She's also very open with the competing chefs about the choices they face -- it's really kind of fascinating. There's not really the trash-talking of "Beat Bobby Flay," for the most part -- it's all just "the food against the food."

Speaking of which, I do think she's relaxed and is having more fun in Season 2 of "Ciao House" in general. The house is a different one, isn't it? It feels more conducive to the show, if so.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, paramitch said:

The house is a different one, isn't it? It feels more conducive to the show, if so.

Not only a different house, a different part of Italy - Puglia. They were in Tuscany the first season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy for Ivan that he is ok.  The heat from that blazing pizza oven, running back and forth, and his big size were clearly tough on him — his face was as red as a tomato.

I cannot express how glad I am that Hannah is gone.  Get her take-the-credit for herself, entitled, fake cheffy / cringeworthy cheerleader talk in the kitchen, delusional self off of my TV.  I hope I never, ever see her again.

• Like 11
  • Applause 5

Devan's face while Hanna was spinning her delusional reasons for staying was priceless. Plus Zev leaving, this was a good night. He was smart to study how round 1 went but then he made different mistakes. He should of had Phuoc cooking the pizzas.  I like a thicker crust but not one that is charred. Phuoc is probably my #1 pick with Austin and Ivan as close seconds.

• Like 5