Type keyword(s) to search

Summer Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Remember, that's $25,000 before taxes, so they probably don't take home much more than $20,000.  I'm not a tax expert, nor have I ever won $25,000, but I would bet that at least 20% is taxed.

In the US, I believe it is 30-35% for federal taxes.   Terrible prize.  For the Christmas cookie show, Chopped, etc., it is $10,000 for only one win. 

• Useful 1

I guess the contestants think the exposure that they are going to get from appearing on the show will be a boost in their business (and from what I've heard that is generally true).  In addition, usually people get an appearance fee in addition to the grand prize and a per diem.  

I didn't realize how tall Carla was until the judges were standing at the end (or maybe I just didn't realize how short Duff is!).

• Like 7
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I guess the contestants think the exposure that they are going to get from appearing on the show will be a boost in their business (and from what I've heard that is generally true).  In addition, usually people get an appearance fee in addition to the grand prize and a per diem.  

I didn't realize how tall Carla was until the judges were standing at the end (or maybe I just didn't realize how short Duff is!).

Very good point, they might end up even being a guest judge on FN. 

• Like 4

I knew Rob had it in the bag when the only criticism the judges had to offer was that the inside of his cake looked pink instead of red. Good for Rob, Stephanie was my underdog favorite but Rob was a great choice for winner. He's been consistently a great baker and I really liked his 4th of July cake, it looked so festive! I would have been happy with any of the three winning, they are all very talented and seem really nice. 

I loved Rob's cake, the fireworks and the skyline looked so festive and it looked tasty. Stephanie's cake looked great and apparently tasted good, but it looked way more spring baby shower than 4th of July in New York. Chris's cake looked a little more sloppy than I expected but was also very fun and festive, even if those were kind of odd flavors for summer. 

I guess its time to catch up on Paris Master Baker, we have a pretty long break before Halloween! The turn around from spring to summer was so quick its weird not to have a weekly baking show to enjoy! 

• Like 2
On 7/2/2024 at 7:09 AM, AZChristian said:

Anyone else so distracted by Jesse's trousers that they couldn't NOT look at them?  They looked like women's slacks.  NO room for the junk in his trunk, legs too slim and short. 

LOL - glad it wasn't just me!  I could barely look away from Jesse's pants to look at the bakes.  Give those boys some room to breathe!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
23 hours ago, Pi237 said:

but, come on! Give them at least $50,000!

They used to give them $50K back when the Championship series of shows.

Stephanie's "poofs" of icing were distracting to me. That's her decorating style, but she did it throughout the competition. It became tiresome.

Rob's was the cake I'd buy for a party, so I'm glad he won.

• Like 5

I don't understand why none of them were able to get what American's consider true patriotic red and blue -- true red and a darker blue.  I find hard to believe the only food coloring provided to them is the "4 colors for $2.00" brand, but that's sure what it looked like.    There are other brands like AmeriColor that make a darker blue and red that look so much more like an American flag. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 7/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, RoxiP said:

I guess the contestants think the exposure that they are going to get from appearing on the show will be a boost in their business (and from what I've heard that is generally true).

I think part of it, too, is just the ego boost of winning. It's a nice thing to put on a resume or brag about 😁 You could have a nice sign made for your shop or workspace.

On 7/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, RoxiP said:

I didn't realize how tall Carla was until the judges were standing at the end

She used to model!

On 7/3/2024 at 11:56 AM, tennisgurl said:

The turn around from spring to summer was so quick its weird not to have a weekly baking show to enjoy! 

I know. I'm already going thru withdrawal symptoms 🙃

• Like 3

It was great to see all three finalists hold it together - often someone just tanks the finale.

Jesse's shorts didn't bother me, but his acted enthusiasm for the 4th of July did.  He spends so much time reminding us that he is Canadian.

And no more twists!

• Like 4

Someone started lighting off fireworks in the neighborhood and the hubby says “let freedom ring!” and I said “because it doesn’t knock!” and then I laughed and laughed.  He looked at me like I lost my marbles.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11