Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

We can still get black and white cookies.  Bialys and onion rolls are different.  Bialys have that flat depression in the middle with onions.  They still make those at bagel stores.  You can still get onion rolls, and they are a trademark of Peter Luger's.  I know the kind of hard rolls you mean, but I also associate those more with restaurants than bakeries. 

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Right. It took a long time because I wanted to be sure the pictures filled each page with no bits of white on any edges, but also I didn't want to cut off any of the picture unnecessarily, and I forgot until it was done that I had baked into the layouts some room for edge loss. 
So it would have been a lot faster if I did regularly.

They have a lot of color in the backgrounds, like:

image.png.351d1cdb9ab0b0c51c54ec559b921f09.png image.png.8ea1111ee0bb0dccd5e77de384c172fe.png image.png.dc5f3b1cddaf10e02555def7015b2525.png 
  I just hope the quality of the printing isn't cheap looking.

I love these paintings.  So you've taken photos of your own paintings?  Are they water colors? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I love these paintings.  So you've taken photos of your own paintings?  Are they water colors? 

Thank you.
Yes. Watercolors.
I scanned them rather than photographing.
About 5 years ago the person in charge of all the equipment at the college where I was librarian *gave* me a 14" x 17" scanner that had been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. It still works!

I still have some copies of the original alphabet book in which the pictures appeared, but these will be board books for my grand-toddler and his soon-to-arrive baby brother. 

They should be here in a couple of weeks. (The board books; not the baby brother.) If they turn out well, I might do another book, or just more of these. 
If they look cheap, I might try a different print company.

When I first worked in libraries in the 1990s, I got to process all the new books. I noticed that the books with the best color prints were all printed in Korea, regardless of where the publisher was located. But these days, with globalization, it doesn't look like that's a thing anymore.🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, that's not the bread recipe I was expected, but it must be something traditional that your friend grew up with, and I'll give it a try. 

Same here, that’s brown bread to me (except I don’t use oats in mine).  The soda bread I grew up with was made without all the wheat bran / germ and other grains, it could be whole wheat flour more often it was made with white flour.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, Quof said:

I don't cook much anymore, but having been in the whole grain camp for 50+ years, I might try this.

However, I just posted this in the NY Times Wordle comments:

Spoiler

First, a Wordle poem:

I read a new 
recipe IMBUEd 
with whole grain FLOUR
and easy too.
But then laptop madness ENSUEd❣️
so the recipe is now at the back of QUEUE 
of things to do.…

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 4

Since we're talking bread...The best whole grain bread I've made in my newish machine is oatmeal bread. OMG so good, especially toasted. Regular whole grain comes out OK but the oatmeal is so tasty. I'm trying pumpernickel now.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I forgot my phone at home it was very weird to be without a phone all day! I felt free!

I did that Thursday, I  didn't mind.  Except for the fact I couldn't use my McDonald's app to get extra points for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Ugh, my local branches were closed for two years for construction.  One near my apartment, one near my office.  Why do things take so long?  Part of it was during the pandemic, but it still was ridiculous.  The New Amsterdam branch, near my office, on Murray Street, is tiny!

• Sad 6
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ugh, my local branches were closed for two years for construction.  One near my apartment, one near my office.  Why do things take so long?  Part of it was during the pandemic, but it still was ridiculous.  The New Amsterdam branch, near my office, on Murray Street, is tiny!

The library is 5 blocks away. Now if I need the library I will need to take the bus. I agree 3 years is ridiculously long! 

You’d think they are building a whole new library. Lol

• Sad 2

A bakery my family used to frequent closed but opened again.  I told my aunt and Dad.

My aunt seemed real happy while my Dad was just like Yeah probably new owners or something.  My dad had the more practical response!

But my thought for the week is I think in life you sort of need a combination of both these thought process.  Optimism and hope but you know being practical sometimes as well.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Talking about money and how things are so expensive now.   People with Grandchildren.  How much money is expected for gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc.  I have six grandchildren.  Between birthdays, holidays, graduations, Comunions, and whatever, what’s a decent amount for a gift of money?  Every month it’s something, and we are not rich living where we live.  Everything is sky high here .. gas, food, meds, etc.

This is making me reflect. There are so many possible scenarios. My grandparents had 30-some and 50-some grandchildren, respectively. I don’t remember ever getting (or expecting) gifts from them. Although one winter my grandma stayed with us because her house wasn’t sufficiently winterized, and she crocheted me an extra long scarf to go with my very cool midi-coat. 

My mother had exactly 3 grandkids (my kids), and while I’m sure she got them token gifts, her biggest gift was being able to give them savings bonds/investment funds so they could go to college without loans. 

Said mom died shortly before Christmas (several months before my first grandchild was born) and I informed everyone that I was not doing gifts, and please don’t get me anything because you’ll just have to figure out what to do with it when I die. 

Fast forward to now, I’ve been very inconsistent about gifting to the grandkids, but I have to get back to funding those college accounts!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Winterized, not wintered
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

her biggest gift was being able to give them savings bonds/investment funds so they could go to college without loans. 

My best friend's birthday and Christmas gifts to her nieces and nephew are always a contribution to college funds she started for each of them when they were born; she's great with money, her sister and brother-in-law spend every dime they make (when they could easily afford to save).  When they were little kids, she'd also get them one toy/something else fun at Christmas, but that's it.  The oldest is applying to colleges, and boring ol' Auntie is now her favorite person in the world.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
23 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This is making me reflect. There are so many possible scenarios. My grandparents had 30-some and 50-some grandchildren, respectively. I don’t remember ever getting (or expecting) gifts from them. Although one winter my grandma stayed with us because her house wasn’t sufficiently wintered, and she crocheted me an extra long scarf to go with my very cool midi-coat. 

My mother had exactly 3 grandkids (my kids), and while I’m sure she got them token gifts, her biggest gift was being able to give them savings bonds/investment funds so they could go to college without loans. 

Said mom died shortly before Christmas (several months before my first grandchild was born) and I informed everyone that I was not doing gifts, and please don’t get me anything because you’ll just have to figure out what to do with it when I die. 

Fast forward to now, I’ve been very inconsistent about gifting to the grandkids, but I have to get back to funding those college accounts!

Thanks for your story and input.  It’s good to hear everyone’s opinion.  I told them also, no more gifts for us too.  How many bathrobes and slippers do we need, lol.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Due to budget cuts Sunday services will be cut to all libraries in NYC. The local branch is also closing next month until 2026. I’m so sad.

The college library where I worked from 2001-2019 did an $18 mil. renovation and expansion in 2003-4. We were open the entire time. Some departments moved 5 times. I remember my office chair vibrating while they were jackhammering out the asbestos below me. At one point I swallowed a fly. A coworker went to the hospital with life threatening asthma. OSHA should have been called. I wonder if it contributed to several of us getting cancer. 
I'm glad they closed your library during renovation, and at least there are ebooks now:

For most of that period I pretty much stuck to ebook downloads. 

• Sad 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Due to budget cuts Sunday services will be cut to all libraries in NYC. The local branch is also closing next month until 2026. I’m so sad.

Not only libraries, but budget cuts for schools and city cops too.  A shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Here on Long Island, many families are moving down South to either Florida, or North and South Carolina.  My one daughter pays $16,000 in taxes per year here.  Some of their neighbors are moving south.  The Carolinas are booming with new developments.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Here on Long Island, many families are moving down South to either Florida, or North and South Carolina.  My one daughter pays $16,000 in taxes per year here.  Some of their neighbors are moving south.  The Carolinas are booming with new developments.

I live in the metro DC area and it was OTT hot this past summer. We used our deck maybe twice. It's worse the farther south one goes. If I had my druthers we'd be in VT/NH, but my husband won't move north (he'd prefer Colorado). So, we aren't moving. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I live in the metro DC area and it was OTT hot this past summer. We used our deck maybe twice. It's worse the farther south one goes. If I had my druthers we'd be in VT/NH, but my husband won't move north (he'd prefer Colorado). So, we aren't moving. 

I still miss Hawaii.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My brother in law lives in Denver.  It’s gorgeous.  The restaurants are fabulous, and you have theCity and then the Mountains.  I love Upstate New York too, but too late for moving again.  Besides, we moved back to N.Y from Florida to be near the kids and grandkids.  I hated the continuous heat in Florida too.  I love the four seasons here.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I canceled hbo and they sent me an email to resubscribe for $4.99 for 6 months. Yessss! 

I sure did resubscribe. 

4.99/month or 4.99 for all 6 months?  Either way that's not bad.  You may want to post that in the streaming thread - I imagine some folks there might be interested.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

4.99/month or 4.99 for all 6 months?  Either way that's not bad.  You may want to post that in the streaming thread - I imagine some folks there might be interested.

$5 per month. It’s a 1 time use code only for me. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've decided there is nowhere on earth to live that I'd be comfortable year round.  I love the summers in New England (spring is nice and early autumn is acceptable) but there aren't bad enough words for how much I despise November through March/April.  

5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I've decided there is nowhere on earth to live that I'd be comfortable year round.  I love the summers in New England (spring is nice and early autumn is acceptable) but there aren't bad enough words for how much I despise November through March/April.  

This is why some people snowbird. 

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, PRgal said:

But snowbirding🦩 is not in everyone's budget.💸 ❄️

My upstairs neighbors, now age 89-90, used to snowbird every winter, and now they don't go and can barely drag themselves up the stairs, and apparently can't afford to move to a ranch-style home.

I don't want that to happen to me. 
But if I did have a partner, and we both wanted to go somewhere for a few weeks this winter, I would probably spend the money just like they did.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But snowbirding🦩 is not in everyone's budget.💸 ❄️

My upstairs neighbors, now age 89-90, used to snowbird every winter, and now they don't go and can barely drag themselves up the stairs, and apparently can't afford to move to a ranch-style home.

I don't want that to happen to me. 
But if I did have a partner, and we both wanted to go somewhere for a few weeks this winter, I would probably spend the money just like they did.

My parents used to spend every February in Maui. I can only dream.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Absolutely! But my husband plays golf with people who have found as time goes on that they (or their partners) don’t want to make the trip, don’t want to be away from new grandchildren, or have health issues that make it difficult to travel or be away for months. Plus as @shapeshifter said it’s a lifestyle that not everyone can afford.

Husband has mentioned going “home” for the winter.  Except that while “home” might not normally see snow the winter is comprised of soul-sucking darkness accompanied by constantly damp and chilly weather. On balance I’ll keep the somewhat longer and brighter days with the snow rather than the darkness I have always struggled with.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:14 PM, Caoimhe said:

One thing I really miss are the packs of assorted smoked fish that I always used to make a seafood pasta.  There just isn’t the same sort of thing here.  I have made seafood chowder but these days I just don’t cook enough to bother with it.

I used to bring back the M&S or Sainsbury's smoked mackerel.  Now I sometimes buy the peppered smoked salmon (the whole chunks, not lox) from Costco or TJs to make fish chowder (I don't eat shellfish).   Mmmm, may have to make it again once I'm prepared to take on the crowds.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I used to bring back the M&S or Sainsbury's smoked mackerel.  Now I sometimes buy the peppered smoked salmon (the whole chunks, not lox) from Costco or TJs to make fish chowder (I don't eat shellfish).   Mmmm, may have to make it again once I'm prepared to take on the crowds.

I just ordered some smoked trout from Amazon. I'll update on the quality when I get it.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1

If being alone on Thanksgiving I usually think about going to a movie. If there is a park nearby (where you feel safe) maybe get out, depending on your weather.  I've known people who volunteered at the animal shelter for the day—or volunteering at a food kitchen. 

It's just my mom and me for Thanksgiving.  When I was growing up my mom's brothers and sisters and their kids would all go to our grandparents' house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We usually went to my dad's family in another state for Thanksgiving since we had a four-day weekend.  I miss those days.  But I'm thankful I still have Mom here otherwise I would be doing one of the things I said above. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I guess I might go to the movies tomorrow and maybe go get some dinner?! I don’t want to stay at home alone all day crying… 

Any ideas on what to do on thanksgiving???

Volunteer at a soup kitchen or animal shelter?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I'll be here with you.🧸

I'm supposed to spend Saturday at my daughter's, since they're doing Thanksgiving on Thursday at her Mother-in-law's and Friday at her Father-in-law's. 
I was a little offended that they didn't ask my daughter what her (elderly and alone) mother was doing for Thanksgiving, but I've decided to let it go, since they might have been each thinking I was going to the other's. 

Plus, I never go to either of their homes because sitting in a car is painful for me after 10 minutes, and they both live an hour away. I only see them at my daughter's, which is half and hour away.
But they might be thinking I should invite them over to my place — and they wouldn't be wrong — and I can't be bothered. 

• Hugs 8
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'll be here with you.🧸

I'm supposed to spend Saturday at my daughter's, since they're doing Thanksgiving on Thursday at her Mother-in-law's and Friday at her Father-in-law's. 
I was a little offended that they didn't ask my daughter what her (elderly and alone) mother was doing for Thanksgiving, but I've decided to let it go, since they might have been each thinking I was going to the other's. 

Plus, I never go to either of their homes because sitting in a car is painful for me after 10 minutes, and they both live an hour away. I only see them at my daughter's, which is half and hour away.
But they might be thinking I should invite them over to my place — and they wouldn't be wrong — and I can't be bothered. 

I'll be here too. It's just me and my DH this year.

• Like 7

I lost my quotes, due to the site messing with my iPad browser. it didn’t save, because I refreshed too fast.  

I got my digestive biscuits, and we now have two small boxes of Quality Street chocolates, from the world market.  I wasn’t going to get a  second one yet, but dad said they could all disappear before we get back. 

I’m really missing my English family and friends, I haven’t seen most of them since 1990. We stay home on thanksgiving, because of Covid, and also I just don’t feel a part of dad’s family. But he needs to see them, so I’m going to make sure that he gets together with them too. Don’t know when,  but it has to happen. I’m going to make Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, and anything else I can think of. Sausage rolls, next week. Maybe.  It will kill my stomach, but I don’t care.  
i remember when a friend sneaked in a massive block of English cheddar cheese, when she visited, and then an American friend just helped herself to a lot of it. 

4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Peacock is $2 a month or $20 for the year. 

That’s the deal I got a year ago, and they just charged me the full price.  I wonder if I can get them back down to $2. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Anela said:

I lost my quotes, due to the site messing with my iPad browser. it didn’t save, because I refreshed too fast.  

I got my digestive biscuits, and we now have two small boxes of Quality Street chocolates, from the world market.  I wasn’t going to get a  second one yet, but dad said they could all disappear before we get back. 

I’m really missing my English family and friends, I haven’t seen most of them since 1990. We stay home on thanksgiving, because of Covid, and also I just don’t feel a part of dad’s family. But he needs to see them, so I’m going to make sure that he gets together with them too. Don’t know when,  but it has to happen. I’m going to make Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, and anything else I can think of. Sausage rolls, next week. Maybe.  It will kill my stomach, but I don’t care.  
i remember when a friend sneaked in a massive block of English cheddar cheese, when she visited, and then an American friend just helped herself to a lot of it. 

That’s the deal I got a year ago, and they just charged me the full price.  I wonder if I can get them back down to $2. 

Cancel the CC charge? Use a different email/CC to sign up for $2?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Maybe if you try to cancel they'll make you a better offer?  There are a lot of streamer deals going around at the moment and for at least some of them, you need to not have been a subscriber in the past month.  Hopefully they just charged you full price for the month and not for the whole year!

If that doesn't work, unfortunately if you cancel now for a month, the same deal probably won't still be around.

Although... I got an annual rate (maybe $25 or $30) last February.  I just looked at my account and they're offering an annual rate of $39.99, offer ends 02/02/24.  So, not $2/month but still better than full price.

Related - the main thing I use my iPhone calendar for is to schedule "appointments" when my streaming free trials or special deals are about to expire.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I guess I might go to the movies tomorrow and maybe go get some dinner?! I don’t want to stay at home alone all day crying… 

Go find a community dinner and if you are up to it, volunteer to help serve or clean....if not, have some food and enjoy being with other people who also might not have family or friends nearby. If you stay home, at the least: find something to be grateful for (gratitude is the first step towards mental health).

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I was going to be going to a family get together today for Thanksgiving but canceled on Monday because my vasculitis has returned and between my feet being swollen and having some kind of stomach ache (maybe due to the medications, maybe not) I didn't feel it made sense to go to a holiday that is centered around eating.  A lot. 

This is the 4th time in a row I've missed Thanksgiving with family, the first 2 were due to Covid precautions, then last year one of us got Covid.  I am just going to sleep late and try not to stress so feel okay with that.

Hope you all  have a nice one!

• Hugs 11