Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I had prophylactic mastectomies ten years ago also.  I have small implants, so I was able to have them placed at the same time as the main surgery.  The plastic surgeon really wanted to give me those nipple tattoos, but I resisted.  I don't think it was a money grab.  He's just really into making people feel better.

I did have cancer in one breast. I opted for the double mastectomy mostly because my mom died from breast cancer and I didn't want to wait for years for the other shoe to drop and have to go through the surgery again. I had no implants or recon done. Just something else to go wrong later down the road. 

I am happily "flat and fabulous"! But I still think the flower tattoos would be cool...

• Like 13
16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am happily "flat and fabulous"! But I still think the flower tattoos would be cool...

For many years, I had a signed print of "The Tree Poster" of Deena Metzger hanging in my room.  It was the first widely publicized photo of a woman celebrating her mastectomy scar tattoo.  It warms my heart how many have been added to the collection.

• Like 2
On 8/24/2023 at 10:51 PM, emma675 said:

In the final Avengers movie when Hawkeye showed up with a sleeve, I sat up and thought "well, hello there. Where have you been the last several movies?"

This made me laugh.  I don't think I really paid attention to the tattoos, but I did notice that he has very nice arms.

I don't have any tattoos, but I don't have any issue with anyone who wants them.  The only thing I wonder about is whether or not someone who gets a tattoo of something 'pop culture'-related that they love at this time, will they still feel the same 20 or more years from now?  For example, I love 'Bob's Burgers', but if I got a tattoo of one of the characters now would I still want it on my body in a couple of decades?

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

This made me laugh.  I don't think I really paid attention to the tattoos, but I did notice that he has very nice arms.

I don't have any tattoos, but I don't have any issue with anyone who wants them.  The only thing I wonder about is whether or not someone who gets a tattoo of something 'pop culture'-related that they love at this time, will they still feel the same 20 or more years from now?  For example, I love 'Bob's Burgers', but if I got a tattoo of one of the characters now would I still want it on my body in a couple of decades?

Or their significant other’s name (as I noted above).  Large tattoos in the abdomen area can be questionable too…I mean, what happens if you get pregnant or gain a lot of weight in other ways and it completely distorts the design to the point that it’s unattractive? 

• Like 3

I was at a concert a few years back, and saw a woman with "Blessed" tattooed across the side of her forehead.  It ran from about her temple to near the middle of her forehead, and was in a cursive-like script.  

• Mind Blown 3
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was at a concert a few years back, and saw a woman with "Blessed" tattooed across the side of her forehead.  It ran from about her temple to near the middle of her forehead, and was in a cursive-like script.  

Given that tattoo artists rely in part on recommendations, it seems it would be in their own best interests to require a waiting period or cooling off period of a day before beginning to ink. 
But then I always do about 8 edits before I call a written work complete.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, PRgal said:

Or their significant other’s name (as I noted above).  Large tattoos in the abdomen area can be questionable too…I mean, what happens if you get pregnant or gain a lot of weight in other ways and it completely distorts the design to the point that it’s unattractive? 

My sister had a tattoo of a devils head on her stomach, next to the belly button.

She became pregnant and that tattoo became horrifying.  !!   It got huge and when the baby moved the expressions would change on the tattoo head.

ACK!   (it has since been removed)

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 10

The VMA performance with Madonna/Britney/Christina/Missy Elliott was 20 years ago today.  I still recall watching it live, one of the last VMA wards show I watched like that.  By my avatar I like Madonna.  And I like Christina as well.

But I guess that sort of thing makes me feel well not young anymore lol.  And it makes me think of how much changed technology wise since August 2003:

We still had dial up internet in our house

I dont think texting was a thing yet?

No social media, no social Facebook.  Maybe My Space in 03'?

No Youtube

I'm not sure how old this form is here?

But yeah that performance was huge back then.  I still recall Christina talked about it months afterwards.  My initial thought was that kiss would have 100 billion views on Youtube if it was done today.  But how technology evolved over the years and girls kissing on TV isnt at all scandalous today....  I think it'd be forgotten fast 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
11 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I'm not sure how old this form is here?

Looking quickly at the Internet Archive, it looks like Previously.tv started in 2014?

Around 1999 when my oldest daughter was in college, she was freaked out when I became absorbed in posting on a forum about Roswell, the TV show.
I was the old middle-aged lady in the group (hence the screen name, shapeshifter, although I see the actor who played shapeshifter Nasedo is a few years younger than I am).
Now I'm just the old lady in the group, and I seem to have some peers.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

The VMA performance with Madonna/Britney/Christina/Missy Elliott was 20 years ago today. 

...'scuse me a second. 

*Grabs rocking chair, settles in, starts gently rocking back and forth* Go on.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 8
32 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

My sister had a tattoo of a devils head on her stomach, next to the belly button.

She became pregnant and that tattoo became horrifying.  !!   It got huge and when the baby moved the expressions would change on the tattoo head.

ACK!   (it has since been removed)

That would be the best thing about a devil tattoo on the stomach! 😆

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It was 2013, according to this USA Today article.  But 2014 is when TWoP shut down, and many of its posters migrated here, so the forums were significantly expanded.

The Internet Archive (aka The Wayback Machine) doesn’t have every web page archived.
And it’s not unusual for a website to not have seemed worth archiving by either random users or by more serious contributors of the Internet Archive until the site has had a lot of traffic and/or has lasted about a year
—and therefore either appears to be likely to continue and/or seems to have sociocultural significance.

So the 2013 origin date for Previously.tv (the former name of PrimeTimer.com) fits with a 2014 first-archived date of The Wayback Machine/Internet Archive.

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, we're mostly TWoP refugees here, at least I am.

Oh yeah, this was a little site that exploded when TWoP shut down.  There are so many former TWoPpers here, some of them are firmly convinced it's the same site, that TWoP turned into pTV, rather than them being two different sites that existed at the same time for about a year until one shut down.  That both sites were founded by the same people adds to that impression, with people forgetting/not knowing they'd sold TWoP to Bravo long before they established this place. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Oh yeah, this was a little site that exploded when TWoP shut down.  There are so many former TWoPpers here, some of them are firmly convinced it's the same site, that TWoP turned into pTV (then PrimeTimer), rather than them being two different sites that existed at the same time until one shut down.  That both were founded by the same people adds to that impression, with people forgetting they'd sold TWoP to Bravo long before they established this place.

The mods here are a lot better.

• Like 9
  • Fire 1

Interesting didn’t know their was a back story to the website.

Any former IMDb message board posters here?  I think if I recall right those forms on that site weren’t really monitored and there were too many trolls so the message boards there stopped 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Any Floridians here? I hope everyone will be safe. The predictions keep changing as to which area it will really hit. 🙏🍀🤞

Seconding this. 

Someone on the Weather Channel noted the other day that storms that start with the letter I seem to often be some of the most intense ones. Sounds like this one might be on its way to following that trend, though hopefully, it won't be nearly as intense as they fear it might. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I have to admire the people who put info on Wikipedia.  Earlier I remembered a book I read years ago at my grandmother's house.  It was in an old Readers Digest Condensed book and I couldn't remember the author or title or all that much about it beyond a few scenes and a general idea of where it had taken place.  Anyway in Wikipedia someone has taken the trouble to list all the issues complete with titles and authors.  I figured it had to be from the '50s or '60s and went through them and actually found it.  Wow.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Oh yeah, this was a little site that exploded when TWoP shut down.  There are so many former TWoPpers here, some of them are firmly convinced it's the same site, that TWoP turned into pTV (then PrimeTimer), rather than them being two different sites that existed at the same time until one shut down.  That both were founded by the same people adds to that impression, with people forgetting they'd sold TWoP to Bravo long before they established this place.

Reading this now, a decade later, they may finally be right, from a more historical outlook.🤔

55 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Any former IMDb message board posters here?  I think if I recall right those forms on that site weren’t really monitored and there were too many trolls so the message boards there stopped 

Yes, the IMDb message boards were the Wild West. 
In the Venn diagram of the time span where  TVWoP, the IMDb message boards, and PreviouslyTV/PrimeTimer overlap, the overlap section is not statistically insignificant.
Nevertheless, the Laissez-faire moderation of pTV has been adequate to effectively keep trolls at bay. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I was on IMDB, really as a lurker.  In case you didn’t know, Those forums are still available but not much used on something called MovieChat.com. 
I am also a former Twopper.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

And before it was TWoP, it was Mighty Big TV, which started as... um... something about Dawson's Creek, I think?

Also a former TWoPPer here.

In other, unrelated chit-chat, I got a text message in the middle of the night with an access code for my TikTok account.  I don't have a TikTok account.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I was on IMDB, really as a lurker.  In case you didn’t know, Those forums are still available but not much used on something called MovieChat.com. 
I am also a former Twopper.

Thanks
. . . even though it's .org not .com 😉

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

...I got a text message in the middle of the night with an access code for my TikTok account.  I don't have a TikTok account.

I will be sure to delete any such text. 
Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 8/24/2023 at 7:02 PM, BlueSkies said:

I mean not to slight anyone here who has tattoos but I saw them all over on a guy's arms today.  It looked real ugly.

What's the appeal to people?  A way to destress or the art form of it or both?  

Tattoo removal business might be something to invest in now 

Why now? Tattoos have been around forever. 

I am willing to bet that most of us don't care who thinks it's ugly though (like people who wear certain hideous clothing or makeup don't -- and shouldn't -- care that I hate it). Like anything else, some tattoos are "ugly" (maybe the work is bad and the artist is terrible, maybe the subject matter is supposed to be ugly, maybe a person ruined the tattoo somehow, etc). Some are not ugly (eg, it's hard for me to imagine how an expertly rendered bunch of flowers would be "real ugly"?). And also like anything else, the reasons and the appeal vary; other than memorial pet ones, mine have no meaning other than the fact that I like them. And even if I eventually regret them (I won't), I wouldn't bother having them removed. 

Anyway, the original post reminded me of this...obviously, it's not an across-the-board assessment, haha (I don't really do that too much). 

f51caf8dc64c3a62ef3f18478da1208f.jpg

My son has a tattoo obsession.  He likes going to get these temporary ones and for a while, had tons...He IS going to be an artist some day (right now, anyway), so he'd fit right in.  LOL.  One thing I'm going to warn him against is to get a tattoo of his significant other's name.  Because he might regret it some day.  LOL.  

Haha, I love them too! For whatever dumb reason, I sometimes put the fakes on too! I like using the really stereotypical ones, like I heart with a dagger in it or a nautical star. I don't know why I do this!

I'm so glad I'm not famous. No one would want to buy my medical records. Re:tattoos? At my book club last night, someone was talking about a younger co-worker who had her late dad's signature tattooed on her inner arm. That procedure had to hurt! Owwww 😖

That spot is the one (two, actually) that was my most painful! It varies, I suppose -- my friend said her ankle hurt her a lot, while mine was nothing. But, yeah, that inner arm -- oof! I am happy that they're both done now!

EDITED TO ADD: Getting tattooed would be a very  expensive and time-consuming way for the average human to destress! Plus, apart from walk-ins and flash art, a person could be waiting weeks to destress from whatever it was that caused the stress.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8

In other news, I need ideas/suggestions. This is the cat thing we have below a window. My cat always tips it when he "lunges" at the birds hanging out on our balcony (don't worry; he's safe--he isn't getting out there or wrecking the screens). Anyway, 99% of the time, it's no big deal. But last week, he did it and somehow ended up inside it with the exit blocked by the floor (I hope that makes sense!). He was OK, but I would hate for it to happen while we are out for a long time. I am trying to think of something relatively flat and heavy that I can put under the little cushion (which is not very visible here; it's a flat foam circle inside the hole) -- and that can fit through the hole, which seems to be the real trick. Surely I am just overlooking an obvious solution?

I tried a softball-sized rock on top of the cushion, but that just rolls out when he lunges. And I don't see a way to get the legs off without either busting out a saw (don't have one) or removing the fabric and possibly unscrewing them (don't want to, haha!). 

PS: I didn't put it in the pet forum, only because it seems like the pet aspect of it isn't the main issue. I will move if necessary!

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 11.51.32 AM.png

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

I think that TWoP got way too caught up in enforcing unnecessary rules by the end. You'd like to see a set of rules that encourage civil discussions and eliminate the bitter shots fired all willy-nilly that you find pretty much everywhere on the internet.

TWoP was wasting time and alienating users by warning people for not reading the last 15 pages or for being mildly off topic. 

• Like 10

TWoP was wasting time and alienating users by warning people for not reading the last 15 pages or for being mildly off topic. 

This, especially with the deleting/moving of posts that were in violation, made it very hard to have a natural back-and-forth conversation, wherein sometimes an "off-topic" thing is tangentially related to the actual topic. 

Can you try putting double-sided carpet tape or Velcro on the bottoms of the feet?

Unfortunately, he still tips it -- he's apparently very passionate about this. And it's not even like he's an especially large cat either!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

So I have teenagers who just took the Permit test at the DMV recently. As I was making sure they knew enough to pass the test, I worked through some of the practice tests with them. 

One question was "If you encounter a driver who is demonstrating road rage, you should:"

The correct answer in the multiple choice test was "Be prepared to yield the right of way."

But the best answer was "Have a drink of alcohol to help you calm down."

It's only been like a week since I saw that, and I've already pulled it out twice while driving. Pretty much any time I see anybody do something aggressive on the road, I immediately say "Wow! Did you see that kids? Somebody get me a drink so I can calm down."

• LOL 21
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

In other news, I need ideas/suggestions. This is the cat thing we have below a window. My cat always tips it when he "lunges" at the birds hanging out on our balcony (don't worry; he's safe--he isn't getting out there or wrecking the screens). Anyway, 99% of the time, it's no big deal. But last week, he did it and somehow ended up inside it with the exit blocked by the floor (I hope that makes sense!). He was OK, but I would hate for it to happen while we are out for a long time. I am trying to think of something relatively flat and heavy that I can put under the little cushion (which is not very visible here; it's a flat foam circle inside the hole) -- and that can fit through the hole, which seems to be the real trick. Surely I am just overlooking an obvious solution?

I tried a softball-sized rock on top of the cushion, but that just rolls out when he lunges. And I don't see a way to get the legs off without either busting out a saw (don't have one) or removing the fabric and possibly unscrewing them (don't want to, haha!). 

PS: I didn't put it in the pet forum, only because it seems like the pet aspect of it isn't the main issue. I will move if necessary!

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 11.51.32 AM.png

19 minutes ago, ABay said:

@TattleTeeny, thinking about how other cat furniture is made, maybe get a  heavy slab of wood and screw the legs into it?

That was basically my thought, although I was thinking a large, lightweight piece of plywood, because the large area would prevent tipping. 
Maybe try it, and if it works, you could cover the plywood with some fabric or carpeting — perhaps cat-themed.🐈‍⬛

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

One question was "If you encounter a driver who is demonstrating road rage, you should:"

The correct answer in the multiple choice test was "Be prepared to yield the right of way."

My husband's reaction is honk horn because they need to know they're wrong.   Sigh.  I keep showing him articles about what happens to people who get the attention of some of these road ragers and I think he's beginning to realize knocking back a drink and venting when he gets home might be the wiser reaction!

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

I've never liked tattoos.  The only one I've ever approved of (not that anyone needs my approval, obviously) is a meaningless hot air balloon that a friend had tattooed on the bottom of her foot while drunk in a Mexican border town.  Classic story, and invisible to pretty much everyone, but there for her to enjoy if so desired.

That is, until now.  I think a devil's head tattoo that changes expression when the baby inside moves is awesome.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • LOL 4

Those are good ideas that I may explore if I can't figure out something I can just put in there under the pillow! Or I will simply reason with my cat, ahahhahhaaa!

So aggravated. Just got back from the foot doctor, where I was picking up the custom orthotics that my insurance is now being very unclear about paying for (but that is honestly not my main source of aggravation at the moment). But what is making me want to scream is that they are making all my shoes (normally slightly too big) too tight to ever wear socks with them again -- even after pulling out insoles (which would have been nice to know was SOP before today). I really would rather not dismantle a bunch of DMs and Vans (the latter of which have glued-down insoles). And I really, really would not like to buy all new shoes. There's got to be a better way. Maybe a better doctor.

Clearly things with feet are making me nuts today.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

TWoP was wasting time and alienating users by warning people for not reading the last 15 pages

I cannot stand "Am I the only one who/Did anyone notice/OMG I just realized ..." posts about something there are already half a dozen recent posts about, but the 15/15 rule (where you had to read the last 15 pages in an active thread or 15 days worth in one with only sporadic activity) was ridiculous overkill. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Any Floridians here? I hope everyone will be safe. The predictions keep changing as to which area it will really hit. 🙏🍀🤞

My Sister lives alone on the canal that leads out to the Gulf.  Right below Cedar Key where it will hit the strongest.  She evacuated yesterday.  I’d be surprised if her house will survive.  This will be the worst in the 30 years she’s been there.  She’s very old and refuses to go into Assisted Living.  Stubborn.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 6
16 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My Sister lives alone on the canal that leads out to the Gulf.  Right below Cedar Key where it will hit the strongest.  She evacuated yesterday.  I’d be surprised if her house will survive.  This will be the worst in the 30 years she’s been there.  She’s very old and refuses to go into Assisted Living.  Stubborn.

I just checked the weather in Melbourne Fla, where my aunt and uncle used to live. 91F, winds up to 25 mph and poring rain. Yikes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My 90-year-old uncle and his wife live on the east side, which appears to just be stormy. 

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just checked the weather in Melbourne Fla, where my aunt and uncle used to live. 91F, winds up to 25 mph and poring rain. Yikes.

Wow.  Actually, my sister lives in Homosassa where the Manatees live.  They come in her canal.  Since her husband died years ago, we go down and help with things.  My husband trims the bushes, fixes things, etc., and I mostly cook and freeze things for her.  Then we go shopping.  She just won’t sell and leave, but it just doesn’t make sense for her to take care of a two story house now, especially where hurricanes frequent.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Those are good ideas that I may explore if I can't figure out something I can just put in there under the pillow! Or I will simply reason with my cat, ahahhahhaaa!

So aggravated. Just got back from the foot doctor, where I was picking up the custom orthotics that my insurance is now being very unclear about paying for (but that is honestly not my main source of aggravation at the moment). But what is making me want to scream is that they are making all my shoes (normally slightly too big) too tight to ever wear socks with them again -- even after pulling out insoles (which would have been nice to know was SOP before today). I really would rather not dismantle a bunch of DMs and Vans (the latter of which have glued-down insoles). And I really, really would not like to buy all new shoes. There's got to be a better way. Maybe a better doctor.

Clearly things with feet are making me nuts today.

I never knew the foot doctor was so popular.  I just finished four visits for a broken big toe nail that he took off.  I’ll now go to him to have the nails cut.  Then go have them polished.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I never knew the foot doctor was so popular.  I just finished four visits for a broken big toe nail that he took off.  I’ll now go to him to have the nails cut.  Then go have them polished.

They have one that comes in once a month or so at my dad's group home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Wow.  Actually, my sister lives in Homosassa where the Manatees live.  They come in her canal.  Since her husband died years ago, we go down and help with things.  My husband trims the bushes, fixes things, etc., and I mostly cook and freeze things for her.  Then we go shopping.  She just won’t sell and leave, but it just doesn’t make sense for her to take care of a two story house now, especially where hurricanes frequent.

After Dad died, my sister put Mom in an "assisted living" facility in Florida because my sister had been obsessed with doing that for 10 years. Ugh. Mom was miserable for her last 5 years. Not only was Dad gone, but she was now 1000s of miles from friends and no longer had the view of the ocean that she loved. 
For someone who owns their home with room for another person, better to offer board to a serious student in exchange for help with errands and chores, IMO.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

She’s very old and refuses to go into Assisted Living.  Stubborn.

It's a big deal to leave one's home and move to a situation like that.  If she can take care of herself, just can't properly maintain the house anymore, and can afford hiring a housekeeper, gardener, and handyperson, so your visits can be to visit, not work, that would benefit all of you.

I hope her house survives.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

They have one that comes in once a month or so at my dad's group home.

Where my mom was living before she died (a private small group home - wonderful caregivers!) they also had one that came in once a month. I thought that was great until I discovered they were charging $150 for each visit to cut my mom's toenails. That is three fancy pedicures hereabouts, so I just started taking her with when I got a pedicure and it was a great time for us to visit and make snarky comments about everything and anything. She had perfectly polished fingernails and toenails right up to her last breath!

• Like 1
  • Love 6