Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: You Are Overpriced

• Start Topic

The future brides and grooms work through pre-wedding jitters at separate parties. The first couple to make their final decisions arrives at the altar

Original airdate 4/7/23

(edited)

Micah turned into Cicely Strong's drunk girl character in this episode.  

I initially thought Chelsea seemed to have it all together, but that opinion has been eroding as the episodes went on.  For Kwame's sake I hope they split because it seems like he will be facing a life of reluctant acquiescence to keep any sense of piece in their union. Now she reminds me of a 30+ Tracy Flick.

Edited by ichbin
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Quoting Dear Evette from an earlier episode thread:

Chelsea is coming off a bit clingy and desperate.  I really liked her but she is dropping in my estimation.  I can see how Kwame is feeling smothered, she doesn't seem to hear him sometimes. Also, it was giving her cringe with her reciting his resume to her family. 

I have officially had my fill of Chelsea.  She may be a nice person and all but I can take it no longer.  She is so performative.  Everything she does comes off as desperate, fake, a performance.  She is constantly spouting this propaganda about herself, Kwame, and the two of them together.  She talks about them like they're this grand fairy tale and they are not.  It's trying way too hard.

Say what you will about Kwame but at least I can read the emotions all over his face.  I have no idea of the outcome, and I absolutely don't want to know until it airs, but I hope he's not just leading her on.  Chelsea meanwhile, it's exhausting.  It's just exhausting and it doesn't feel real.  Now it's coming out that Kwame feels like he has to sacrifice some things and Chelsea seems controlling on top of everything else and like she does not want to hear about any of the real concerns that Kwame might have.

I'm happy that Kwame's siblings seem awesome. Where does Kwame live?

On the other hand, Bliss.  Bliss seems cool, nice, and level headed but I feel like the producers told her to act like she's unsure because she keeps dropping hints that she's unsure and I just don't buy it at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 8

Brett's family!!  I just want to sop them up with a biscuit. His dad was so cute.  And his brother 'Do you like my hair?'  "Ok I like you then" LOL.

Dang. That was the saddest, loneliest little burlesque dancer. 

Micah should drink more,  The 'like' quotient goes way down in her conversation.  I think I only counted 10 during her phone convo/talking head at the bar.

51 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have officially had my fill of Chelsea.  She may be a nice person and all but I can take it no longer.  She is so performative.  Everything she does comes off as desperate, fake, a performance.  She is constantly spouting this propaganda about herself, Kwame, and the two of them together.  She talks about them like they're this grand fairy tale and they are not.  It's trying way too hard.

Put me on this train (and if her facial expressions were anything to go by so is Tiffany's friend).  Jesus.  And to think I liked her at first.  Now I am so over her.  Ugh.  Meanwhile Kwame loves his jogging path.  I could see him doing the scales with his hands:  Chelsea or Jogging path. Chelsea or Jogging path.

His brother and sister were fun.  But... is Kwame not allowed to speak to his dad?  Why wouldn't he have called his dad or talked to him?  Weird.

But Chelsea looked pretty and her bouquet was gorgeous.  Kwame's suit was nice too.  Love the tie and pocket square. Also He is a slick motherfucker.  His vows were nice.

I was think it was a no with him for awhile, but his vows seem too nice to be a no. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I know no spoilers, but I do think Kwame will say no.

Agree that Chelsea is so performative and too extra.  She thinks her brand of extra is cute, but it's just annoying.

But why would Kwame, who lives in Portland, do this show that he knew was based in Seattle?  

Or Micah, who is tied to Arizona?  That gives them an out, a way to say, well, it's been real.

Micah just looks like a pug dog with those fake lips.  Drunk ass Micah kept asking Paul to tell her how much he loves her, to tell her why he loves her.  Micah, Micah, Micah.  I do hope someone can slap Paul and wake him up.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Dang. That was the saddest, loneliest little burlesque dancer. 

Ha.  I feel like they're trying to "make up" for the TX bachelor/bachelorette parties where the guys just hung out at a bar and the women were surrounded by male strippers.

I'm getting whiplash from trying to figure out where Chelsea and Kwame stand. I do agree that she seems performative.  I believe I said in an earlier episode thread that it seemed like she was determined to make it work after she called him out for speaking with Micah.  I think that's when "babe" started happening. I have a harder time figuring out what he wants.  He seems to vacillate between barely being able to be around her to relaxed and flirty with her.

If I were Chelsea, I'd be saying yes just to hang out with Kwame's sister.  Loved her and loved her gift.

I've never connected as much with a participant in this as I did with Zach when his friend talked about the extensive research Zach did just to change toilet paper.  I feel that. 

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

Or Micah, who is tied to Arizona?

And oddly enough, it looks like Bliss's mom also lives in AZ. 

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

But why would Kwame, who lives in Portland, do this show that he knew was based in Seattle?

He supposedly tried to for Married At First Sight back in the day.  It's the same production company that does Love Is Blind.  I've read (not sure if it's true) that the producers had a tough time finding enough cast members in just Seattle so they expanded to Portland.  If he did already audition for this production company, they might have reached out to him.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Micah should drink more,  The 'like' quotient goes way down in her conversation. 

It also makes her brave enough to stand up to her mean friend. 

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

His brother and sister were fun.  But... is Kwame not allowed to speak to his dad?  Why wouldn't he have called his dad or talked to him?  Weird.

Right? I wanted to hear thar conversation and kinda wanted Kwame to get some peace about his decision.

I love the gift Kwame's sister gave Chelsea. It was so classy and thoughtful. 

18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I've never connected as much with a participant in this as I did with Zach when his friend talked about the extensive research Zach did just to change toilet paper.  I feel that.

I literally did that this week when my husband complained about the tp I've been buying. Turns out my choice is the logical choice. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Micah and Paul have a weird vibe. Its very jokey and I've never seen any semblance of affection.  Not even physical, that's fine if you are more private.  But she's always like making jokes about him, his taste, everything.  Then spouts off for the camera how wonderful he is.  It's like she's trying to always remind him that he's marrying up.   Which in my opinion he is not.

Jacqui I straight up feel sorry for.  She wants to be in a dead end relationship with Josh.  At least she realized hopefully that she needs to work on herself.

Edited by jabRI
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

At this point, the only couple whom I feel should be getting married are Tiffany and Brett.  Zach and Bliss might eventually make it to marriage but getting married this soon after he chose Irina over her is a bad idea.  With Paul and Micah, I don't see the attraction there for either of them.  They come across as co-workers, not as people dating or even friends.  And the Kwame/Chelsea relationship has so many issues.  She's his second choice, they don't live in the same city, they don't seem to want the same things out of the future, he doesn't want her to take his last name until he talks to his mother (I can't with this one.  Giant red flag).  I'm hoping Kwame says "no" in the final episode and spares them both a lot of misery.

• Like 6

Kwame and Chelsea are so hard to figure out... I could imagine them being a good couple, but I don't think they are a very good INSTANT couple. I think they're both sincere, and they like each other, but they both seem to be VERY comfortable in the identities they've carved out for themselves as single people.

Chelsea portrays herself as this sexy, grown, competent woman, who is always a little ExTrA!! but it's just because she knows what she wants, and isn't afraid to be herself. She doesn't mind being single because she knows that once she finds her man, LOOK OUT, they're going to run the world together like Beyonce and Jay Z. Come join her in Seattle, because she has got it all figured out already and you just have to jump into her passenger seat.

Kwame portrays himself as the ultimate good guy, always disarming any situation with his smile, gets along with everyone no matter what. He just wants to navigate the world at his own pace, making time for his pickup soccer games and simple comforts, and he knows that he can explain any misunderstandings away because he only wants the best for everybody. If you let him speak, you'll see his point of view about staying in Portland is well reasoned, even if you don't realize it yet...

I think it seems like they both just assume the other one wants to jump into THEIR worldview that they've cultivated throughout their single lives. Again, I think they're both legit good people, and if this was just a normal new relationship, I could definitely imagine them working out after months/years of compromise and learning about each other. But as an "experiment" where they have to start a full life together immediately, they can't just fold their lives over onto each other as easily as others who have more flexible ideas of a new life with another person.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

Somebody else pointed this out but I had the same thought:  If Kwame was head over heels for Chelsea I think moving wouldn't be such a hard thing to wrap his mind around.  But he's nervous, because he's worried they're not exactly compatible and she's not the woman of his dreams.

• Like 8
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Somebody else pointed this out but I had the same thought:  If Kwame was head over heels for Chelsea I think moving wouldn't be such a hard thing to wrap his mind around.  But he's nervous, because he's worried they're not exactly compatible and she's not the woman of his dreams.

Yeah I agree. I think Chelsea has this idealized vision of Kwame almost as like, an "accessory"? That's probably too harsh, I think she genuinely loves and respects him, but I think she looks at him as the final missing piece that she can bring along for the ride in the perfect life that SHE has set up. And Kwame, on the other hand, is like, "wait what if I'd rather chill and play soccer with my friends instead of go to your family's Sunday dinner every week for the rest of my life...?"

In Chelsea's defense, obviously Kwame can't expect to play soccer 4 nights a week or whatever when he's in a serious relationship haha. But yeah I think they just have too much of a gap between the kind of lives they want, and Kwame isn't so head over heels that he'd want to go be as attached-at-the-hip as Chelsea wants them to be.

• Like 8
On 4/10/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cornhusker12 said:

Yeah I agree. I think Chelsea has this idealized vision of Kwame almost as like, an "accessory"? That's probably too harsh, I think she genuinely loves and respects him, but I think she looks at him as the final missing piece that she can bring along for the ride in the perfect life that SHE has set up. And Kwame, on the other hand, is like, "wait what if I'd rather chill and play soccer with my friends instead of go to your family's Sunday dinner every week for the rest of my life...?"

In Chelsea's defense, obviously Kwame can't expect to play soccer 4 nights a week or whatever when he's in a serious relationship haha. But yeah I think they just have too much of a gap between the kind of lives they want, and Kwame isn't so head over heels that he'd want to go be as attached-at-the-hip as Chelsea wants them to be.

Great post. I wonder if Chelsea is blind to Kwame's ambivalence, or is she just optimistic to a fault? I do believe she loves Kwame and wants to marry him (since she said yes). I hope her heart doesn't get broken. 

And yes, she looked beautiful. 

On 4/8/2023 at 8:03 PM, jabRI said:

Micah and Paul have a weird vibe. Its very jokey and I've never seen any semblance of affection.  Not even physical, that's fine if you are more private.  But she's always like making jokes about him, his taste, everything.  Then spouts off for the camera how wonderful he is.  It's like she's trying to always remind him that he's marrying up.   Which in my opinion he is not.

Micah and Paul get along, but they seem more like buddies than lovers. They don't say loving words to each other, and they almost never touch. Have I ever seen them kiss? If so, it's very rare. 

I just hope they're both on the same page so that no one gets hurt. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:06 PM, Snapdragon said:

At this point, the only couple whom I feel should be getting married are Tiffany and Brett.  Zach and Bliss might eventually make it to marriage but getting married this soon after he chose Irina over her is a bad idea. 

Agreed. I like Tiffany and Brett as a couple. I don't care if they're boring to us. As long as they're not bored with each other. 

And I think Zack and Bliss should date, not get married. They both have too many doubts. Pre-marital counseling would help with that. 

Speaking of which, why don't the couples have access to relationship counselors or experts? Or do Nick and Vanessa serve that role?

• Like 5
3 hours ago, topanga said:

Speaking of which, why don't the couples have access to relationship counselors or experts? Or do Nick and Vanessa serve that role?

I was wondering the same thing but it's probably because 99% of the couples would be told that they shouldn't get married.  They could at least give them a questionnaire or something.  At the bare minimum, a Cosmo compatibility quiz...

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Oh god, I hope it's Nick and Vanessa. Please please please please give us two bonus episodes of them counseling the couples. PLEASE. 

And you know they're not providing any counselors. Mental health, emotional stability and self awareness do not usually mix with love-based reality shows :).

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 4/8/2023 at 8:03 PM, jabRI said:

Jacqui I straight up feel sorry for.  She wants to be in a dead end relationship with Josh.  At least she realized hopefully that she needs to work on herself.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, Cornhusker12 said:

I think it seems like they both just assume the other one wants to jump into THEIR worldview that they've cultivated throughout their single lives. Again, I think they're both legit good people, and if this was just a normal new relationship, I could definitely imagine them working out after months/years of compromise and learning about each other. But as an "experiment" where they have to start a full life together immediately, they can't just fold their lives over onto each other as easily as others who have more flexible ideas of a new life with another person.

I kept wondering why, when Kwame was saying how hard the first year would be and Chelsea disagreed, we never heard her ask why he thought it would be so difficult.  If Kwame was able to be specific with her, maybe she could help dispel some of his worries, instead of her just spouting the platitudes that she did.

• Like 2

Kwame says it in a Talking head  after he was in the bar complaining to his friends about needing his favorite jogging path in Portland. he says Seattle is Lamar Odom with Michael Jordan prices.  Honestly, that bit is the best I've liked Kwame.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

Kwame is seeming so weird. He seems like he doesn't want to get married. These people know what they signed up for. They know the timeline. So why even sign up if you don't intend on getting married on the date set??? Then they won't discuss what they'll do if someone says no. Makes no sense.

Again with the negativity Kwame? REALLY?!!! I'm really shocked at the negativity he spoke on the future of their relationship. It's not even about being an optimist or realist. Coming from someone claiming to be into manifestation, it doesn't align. You speak what you want to happen.

It's interesting hearing Zach tell his friends about the signs he's supposed to be with Bliss. I thought he forgot them. It begs the question: WHY did he ignore the signs??? I wish his friends would've asked that.

The bachelor and bachelorette parties were lame. The women seem to just tolerate each other at this point so they barely interact or at least thats what the editing showed us. Was an interesting kwame family dynamic though its interesting that he didnt tell his dad anything. At this point it looks like its going to be 4 for 4 (despite what the editors are trying to push on us with kwame/chelsea). 

The bachelor/bachelorette parties on this show are always lame. LOL.  The best one imo, was season 2 where the guys got to hit baseballs at Wrigley Field and the women had a boat cruise.  But yeah this season they were especially abysmal.

• Like 2