Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: Chris P's Journey

• Start Topic

Nothing means more to Chris than his relationship with his daughter, Zoey, but now he feels he is failing her as his weight gain begins to limit his mobility. Chris turns to his mother, whom he hasn't seen in seven years, to help get his life on track.

Original air date 2023.03.15

I found this to a very inspiring episode. It was so refreshing to see someone read Dr. Now's book and then just start following it to the T.  And then for his mom and brother to come with him and have everyone join in on the diet plan together.  Also for Chris to be able to reconnect with his mom after so many years.  It was impressive to see how much weight he lost - down into the 300lbs.  I hope he can get a good job again and stay on a healthy track, never falling back into his old habits.

• Like 14

I thought he should have had the surgery but it’s not necessarily going to keep the weight off as Dr. Now pointed out. It was nice to see a guy really work. His daughter seemed sweet and his mom and brother seemed to be helping. He’s one of the few that actually worked on repairing a relationship.  
I hope he makes his goal and that we see a follow up.

• Like 11
41 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

I thought he should have had the surgery but it’s not necessarily going to keep the weight off as Dr. Now pointed out. It was nice to see a guy really work. His daughter seemed sweet and his mom and brother seemed to be helping. He’s one of the few that actually worked on repairing a relationship.  
I hope he makes his goal and that we see a follow up.

So do I. He made a lifestyle change, not just depending on the magic bullet of the surgery. Should he get the surgery? I hope he does just because I think he will be a total success with it. I wish him all the best. 

• Like 12

I loved the smile on Dr. Now's face when Chris made his goal and was able to have the surgery. It was like he was thinking finally there's someone who deserves it because they worked for it. Maybe in the end he will get it because you can go only so far on your own I believe.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I thought he should have had the surgery but it’s not necessarily going to keep the weight off as Dr. Now pointed out. It was nice to see a guy really work. 

I want to see people like Chris every single week.  So inspiring!  I'm with you that he may need the surgery down the road, but if he keeps losing weight, it can only decrease the risks.  It's nice that he has the WLS option if his weight loss stalls or stops.  No hurry though.

Mood Dancing GIF by pammypocket

• Like 10

I think it's wonderful that Chris is losing weight on his own without surgery.  Surgery always comes with risks, so I'm not disagreeing with his decision.  However, even if he gets down to his goal weight, he may have trouble keeping the weight off.  Right now, he's determined to eat like this for the rest of his life, but when he reaches his goal, he's going to be tempted to try some forbidden foods and he may derail some or much of what he's done.  I wish him all the luck in the world.  Seems like a nice guy.

• Like 5

While it is wonderful that Chris was able to lose so much weight without surgery, I'm concerned that he's headed far to the other end of the spectrum and could become anoxeric. The fact that he was able to fast for five days at a time makes me think he's punishing himself by denying food. Once he reaches Dr. Now's goal for healthy weight, he could continue to starve himself beyond it. He seemed very self-aware at the therapy session with Dr. Paradise and I hope he continues to seek psychological help. 

• Like 3
On 3/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, cynicat said:

I want to see people like Chris every single week.  So inspiring!  I'm with you that he may need the surgery down the road, but if he keeps losing weight, it can only decrease the risks.  It's nice that he has the WLS option if his weight loss stalls or stops.  No hurry though.

Mood Dancing GIF by pammypocket

It is inspiring to see someone take responsibility for their situation and read the book and do what it says. But, judging from the low numbers of comments on this episode, it seems like that isn't exactly what most people tune in to see. He didn't yell at Dr. Now, he didn't lie about his diet, he didn't blame the scale, or terrify his family members into getting him the junk food he wanted. All in all, for many viewers, this wasn't the scenario they want to see. Refreshing, YES!! I liked him! And I am glad he is succeeding so far. 

I think it's true of most reality shows, most people don't watch to see the characters succeed. So, I'm thinking if the people on this show succeeded every single week, it wouldn't be on the air for long. Go Chris!

I was also surprised when Dr. Now didn't point out to him that he would have lost MORE weight if he had stuck to the diet the first 2 months than he managed to lose with fasting every five days for five days. He rather kindly, I thought, suggested he do it every other day. Is this the new, kinder, gentler Dr Now?

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

It is inspiring to see someone take responsibility for their situation and read the book and do what it says. But, judging from the low numbers of comments on this episode, it seems like that isn't exactly what most people tune in to see. He didn't yell at Dr. Now, he didn't lie about his diet, he didn't blame the scale, or terrify his family members into getting him the junk food he wanted. All in all, for many viewers, this wasn't the scenario they want to see. Refreshing, YES!! I liked him! And I am glad he is succeeding so far. 

I love seeing them succeed but it does kinda leave less to say about the episode.

• Like 4

I've been getting frustrated with failure after failure, liar after liar.  Last week's episode almost made me quit.  So this was refreshing, even if he didn't get the surgery.

It's also amazing that he was able to re-integrate the family that he lost early in his life.  Addiction obviously runs in the family and hopefully both of them have overcome that demon.  It looks like mom has overcome her addiction and instead of letting guilt turn her into an enabler it seems she's helping him overcome his food addiction.

His brother will need a caretaker after mom, so he never needs to be alone again.  (Eventually his lovely daughter will have her own life and may not be as available.)  Even his ex and her new husband seem lovely - willing to chip in and even be a part of their family and involved in their son's life.

I have such hopes for them all.  Yes I was slightly disappointed that he didn't get the surgery, but he's lost as much weight post-approval as the ones who got the surgery, so I just wish them all the best.

• Like 6

🥱🥱🥱yaaawn.....not much to snark   🥱

4 minutes ago, suev3333 said:

🥱🥱🥱yaaawn.....not much to snark about on this one.   It's getting to where I hate when the patient is a male.    It's always so easy for them,  overall....not everyone...there's always exceptions, I know     I forwarded through a lot of this episode  🥱     I need a trainwreck  ...I'll admit it   lol       (dam ..I keep commenting on my own comment)

Edited by suev3333
Oops

Maybe I'm not typical, but I love the success episodes! This was a hell of a story of healing. I would have liked to see more of Dr. Paradise, since he's always so insightful, and there were obviously many layers of history to unpeel with this crew.

It's also a testament to the power of teamwork. It is NOT easy to get weight off when you're a woman Laura's age, and we have to figure she put her body through a lot during her drug addictions. Get everyone on board with the healthy meals and frequent walks, make it fun, maybe even make it competitive. They made the lifestyle into a bonding exercise. I know there's always plenty that we don't see, but this sure looked like as good a recovery as you could possibly hope for in a family that's been through this much.

• Like 5

I think because he hadn’t been morbidly obese his whole life like most of them he might have it easier.  When he sat down with his mother and daughter and he had the serving bowl of pasta I thought he would serve.   Then he puts it in front of him and ate the whole bowl.  I didn’t know how he would make it but he did!

• Like 1