Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Track 6: Whatever Gets You Thru The Night

• Start Topic

71XnOlq8qML._SX536_.jpg
The band records their seminal album “Aurora,” the heart of which is the always complicated but typically fruitful collaboration between Billy and Daisy. As their working relationship intensifies, their personal relationship threatens to completely implode, causing Daisy to make an impulsive decision. Meanwhile, Camila harbors a secret of her own.

Premiere Date: March 9, 2023    Prime Video

• Like 1

as someone who enjoys messy drama, i loved this episode and these latest 3 in general lol!!!!  these 3 episodes have solidified that i adore riley keough as daisy and i think she has incredible chemistry with all her scene partners.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying the show, but I wish they weren't laying it on so thick with Daisy's "free spirit" behavior. I find her insufferable.

I also don't like Billy. He takes himself way too seriously. 

I find myself rooting for most of the characters except those two, especially for Karen and Graham, Camila and Eddie, and Daisy's former roommate and the woman she went to stay with in NYC.

• Like 10
  • Applause 5

Jonah is almost comically terrible. It bugged me that he instigated the conflicts in this episode. I feel like I might have missed something, though. When Jonah asks Billy to give him something better to write about, I was expecting the article to include something she had confessed to Billy especially since he might've wanted to get back at her for spilling that he had been in rehab. Instead, it just seemed to be Jonah's observations about Daisy. They weren't flattering so I get why she'd be upset, but it seemed like it was set up as a betrayal by Billy. Or are we meant to think Billy told Jonah about the pills Daisy takes? I just figured she was doing that pretty openly anyway so Jonah would've seen it himself.

Speaking of terrible, there's also Billy for writing that song for Daisy and then kissing her to get her back into the studio.

Lol at Eddie for being unable to face Billy after presumably sleeping with Camila and getting kind of shifty-eyed when asked what he did during the post-Aurora break.

• Like 3

It wasn't shown, but I assume that he told them about her breaking into her parents' house only to find they'd moved without telling her.  Taking pills and being late would have been clearly visible to the reporter in the room (and not particularly big scandal in the mid 70s). The other story is what Billy had to trade to keep his kid out of it.

Edited by kassa
  • Like 1
On 3/11/2023 at 9:15 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm enjoying the show, but I wish they weren't laying it on so thick with Daisy's "free spirit" behavior. I find her insufferable.

I find myself rooting for most of the characters except those two, especially for Karen and Graham, Camila and Eddie, and Daisy's former roommate and the woman she went to stay with in NYC.

Couldn’t agree more. I liked younger Daisy but just find myself hating her more and more. It’s not just the annoying “free spirit” stuff, like when she blows everyone off to party and jump in the pool—doesn’t studio time cost big bucks? But worse, how she seems to think the world should just stop for her because she’s just so damn important. Like when she hits this guy’s car and then brushes him off, telling him she’s in the middle of something just because she’s writing down some lyrics. I don’t care if you’re writing the greatest hit the world will ever hear if you rear end my car to do it, brat. And getting mad because Billy brought Camila and their little girl to the photo shoot, WOW. She’s becoming even more egotistical than he is.

And Billy’s equally insufferable. He so deserves how Daisy is basically taking over. And I really enjoyed watching him stew while Camila was out. About damn time he got a taste of his own medicine! I’m assuming 20-years-later Camila has long since left his cheating ass. I really don’t get the appeal of Daisy. Yeah, she can write songs but she’s also a trainwreck and nowhere near as beautiful as his wife.

Bite me, Jonah. Sure you need your article to be interesting, but do you really have to try to stir up trouble and blow up people’s lives to accomplish that?

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
On 3/11/2023 at 10:15 PM, chocolatine said:

This! I’m finding more genuine appeal and sincerity in some of the supporting characters even though we’ve been told almost nothing about them. They’re just the out of focus guys.  

Eddie stopped my heart a little when her told Camilla that he would choose her over anyone ever. An actual romantic line. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2023 at 1:00 PM, AuntieMame said:

They’re just the out of focus guys.

I love this reference, lol.  I actually have one of those Stillwater t-shirts.

The show is 100% character-driven.   The story is soooo formulaic.  The thing is, it seems like there are only two or three real characters.   The rest are props. 

I just ordered the book because I figure there has to be more to this thing.   I doubt the book would have gotten such rave reviews if it consists of only the pap we're seeing onscreen. 

I mean, it's watchable.   It passes the time.  But it's not exactly compelling.

I find myself wondering if Daisy smells.   She's an addict, an alcoholic, a chain smoker and from the look of things hygiene isn't a priority.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, millennium said:

The thing is, it seems like there are only two or three real characters.   The rest are props. 

I’m on the final episode and I still can’t tell you which guy is Graham and which is Eddie and which one of them is Billy’s brother. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I’m on the final episode and I still can’t tell you which guy is Graham and which is Eddie and which one of them is Billy’s brother. 

Exactly.  Only the women really seem to pop -- Camila, Karen ...  With the guys, I'm like, okay, there's the unattractive one who jokes about drugs, the surfer guy, and the one who looks like he should be on Kids In the Hall.

• Like 3
On 3/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, millennium said:

I love this reference, lol.  I actually have one of those Stillwater t-shirts.

The show is 100% character-driven.   The story is soooo formulaic.  The thing is, it seems like there are only two or three real characters.   The rest are props. 

I just ordered the book because I figure there has to be more to this thing.   I doubt the book would have gotten such rave reviews if it consists of only the pap we're seeing onscreen. 

I mean, it's watchable.   It passes the time.  But it's not exactly compelling.

I find myself wondering if Daisy smells.   She's an addict, an alcoholic, a chain smoker and from the look of things hygiene isn't a priority.

You just made my day! I was waiting for someone to get the allusion. I figured there would be a lot of people watching this who saw Almost Famous. 
 Don’t count on the book being a lot more compelling. Somehow it just isn’t. I actively disliked it the first time through and read I again because of the show. It was better the second time through but not a ton. It still reads like a combination of sixties and seventies rock cliches and someone writing a report on the classic rock era. None of the characters read as real people. Though in these last episodes, they do start selling me Billie and Daisy as in love. 

On 3/24/2023 at 1:48 PM, Haleth said:

Well, Graham is Billy’s brother if that helps. But your point is well taken, the secondary characters are flat to say the least. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

You just made my day! I was waiting for someone to get the allusion. I figured there would be a lot of people watching this who saw Almost Famous.

I'll spoiler tag this because it refers to episode 9 (I think):

Spoiler

There appears to be a direct homage to Almost Famous in the plane scene, where the shot is from the front of the plane looking down the aisle and the band members are sitting there with all the unspoken secrets and tensions between them.   All that was missing was Jimmy Fallon and a pocket of rough turbulence.

• Like 2
On 3/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, AuntieMame said:

This! I’m finding more genuine appeal and sincerity in some of the supporting characters even though we’ve been told almost nothing about them. They’re just the out of focus guys.  

Eddie stopped my heart a little when her told Camilla that he would choose her over anyone ever. An actual romantic line. 

Me too! Swoon! He is adorable. I wish Camila was with him instead of Billy. He would treat her much better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2023 at 11:15 PM, chocolatine said:

Thank you for saying this!  I'm watching Daisy wondering if she has the worst case of undiagnosed ADHD to ever exist or if she's just an inconsiderate ass (maybe both).  My dislike of her makes me like Billy in comparison (and I don't).

I do find them compelling to watch but it feels weird to dislike and be annoyed by the two characters the story is focusing almost exclusively on.  

I also don't know why the copying of Fleetwood Mac and the Lindsey/Stevie dynamic is bugging me too.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, AuntieMame said:

Don’t count on the book being a lot more compelling. Somehow it just isn’t.

Thank you for this because I've been wondering.

I wish they'd flush out more of the other character's stories.  I really enjoyed the Camila/Bee Gee hook-up and Karen and Graham scenes.

Despite her character, I too am now a Riley fan.  Sometimes she looks a lot like LIsa Marie and sometimes you can see a hint of Elvis in her face too.  

• Like 6

I like Riley too but am not thrilled with Daisy. I get a Stevie Nicks vibe from Daisy when she’s on stage and swinging her arms open with her vest flowing. Not sure if the show is intentionally doing this or I’m just reminded of it because I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan. I’ve read several books about them and watched some documentaries.

I saw Riley in an interview clip and was surprised to hear she had no singing experience before this. She said she and Sam went to “band camp” to prepare for their roles. They were the only ones out of the cast that didn’t have a musical background. They are both doing a great job! But it still bothers me how old Billy looks in the scenes when they’re supposed to be young. 

• Like 3
On 3/24/2023 at 12:48 PM, Haleth said:

I'm so glad it wasn't just me! I finally realized Graham has wavy hair (and is with Karen), and Eddie has straight hair. It took me way too many episodes to come up with that.

• Like 2
On 3/12/2023 at 12:15 AM, chocolatine said:

The Billy/Daisy relationship is loosely based on the Stevie Nicks/Lindsay Buckingham relationship which was also draped in a lot of drama, cocaine, great songwriting and professional jealousy. Daisy wears alot of the same flowy dresses and boots that Stevie did and still does...even her stage persona is similar with the whirling dervish dancing. As for the Billy character...totally drawn upon Lindsay Buckingham who is/was extremely difficult to work with and took/takes himself too seriously. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

The Billy/Daisy relationship is loosely based on the Stevie Nicks/Lindsay Buckingham relationship which was also draped in a lot of drama, cocaine, great songwriting and professional jealousy. Daisy wears alot of the same flowy dresses and boots that Stevie did and still does...even her stage persona is similar with the whirling dervish dancing. As for the Billy character...totally drawn upon Lindsay Buckingham who is/was extremely difficult to work with and took/takes himself too seriously. 

Yeah but Stevie and Lindsey have actual real talent. 😄

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I understand what it's based on, but at least Lindsay wasn't married and he and Stevie had been in a relationship for several years before joining Fleetwood Mac. Trying to make it such a blatant ripoff and then adding details that don't make sense makes for bad storytelling, IMO.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, AuntieMame said:

Don’t count on the book being a lot more compelling. Somehow it just isn’t. I actively disliked it the first time through and read I again because of the show. It was better the second time through but not a ton. It still reads like a combination of sixties and seventies rock cliches and someone writing a report on the classic rock era. None of the characters read as real people. Though in these last episodes, they do start selling me Billie and Daisy as in love. 

Well, Graham is Billy’s brother if that helps. But your point is well taken, the secondary characters are flat to say the least. 

Yeah I was in the minority as well as someone who was not a fan of the book. Just wasn't very compelling and I find Daisy and Billy even more unlikeable in the show.

I've lost track of how many times I've watched Almost Famous! Is the book version of Daisy as obnoxious? About 95% of the time I think she's an entitled brat. I realize you need a certain level of ego and hubris to be a rock 'n' roll star but it's the near-constant smugness that's particularly annoying.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:28 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah but Stevie and Lindsey have actual real talent.

well, yeah, of course.  they are actual muscians and singer/songwriters.  The actors in this show are not, nor are the writers.  that is always a problem with  shows about fictional bands/singers, they usually cannot be adequately compared to the actual bands/singers they are trying to emulate.  

I get the comparisons with FM, because clearly the author was inspired by the true life story (and we don't know everything about FM either).  but its the author's right to write a different story that also involved relationships between bandmembers, but in a different way.  I'm not sure most rock stars are likeable people.