Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Ron DeSantis

• Start Topic

I am really, really hoping that the more people get exposed to the actual Meatball Ron, rather than the idea of him they get from right-wing headlines, the less excited they’ll be about him. 

Holy smokes! The range of toilet-based movie parodies Radiant comes up with is awe inspiring. But their CGI is DIRE! John’s offer is tempting, but he did not make any promises that the title in the envelope isn’t X-rated. If I were a plumbing company, I would be nervous!

• Like 8
(edited)

I was a bit disappointed watching, mostly because John had plenty more of the Meatball iceberg (“meatberg”?) to explore, but he had to make time to saluting plumbers with ambitious commercials. Yes, John made them an offer to use one of his ideas in exchange for food bank money, but I was left cold. Why aren’t numbers and URLs blurred anytime commercials are shown? (ETA: I mean that in general, not just here)

DeSantis is a piece of work. I’d say he and Florida deserve each other, but a lot of people living there shouldn’t be punished for living in the wrong state. Like I said, there’s a lot John didn’t cover, and it’s grisly. Turning “woke” into a figurative four-letter word is the tip of the iceberg. My understanding is that being woke means never sleeping for fear someone might sneak stuff past you that you’d never approve of.

I just remember ol’ Meatball Ron (we need a better nickname, and not just because You-Know-Who unveiled it) visited my neck of the woods last week to talk about Florida being the place “woke” goes to die. Uuuuuuggggghhh. Gotta think of Rudy drenched in Thousand Island dressing to get that out of my head. Aaaaaaahhhh.

Is it bad that I was wishing bad things to happen to Jerry O’Connell last year? He was cohost of The Real Love Boat, which followed Survivor at 9 p.m. on Wednesday nights, bumping The Amazing Race to 10. I hope getting roasted for roasting Scorpios is the limit.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 7

I'm always astounded that DeSanctis is 5 years younger than me, when he looks 10 years older. My parents live in Florida, and they can't stand him. I'm glad John went over actual policies because nationally, all you hear is the 'symbolic culture war' fights. 

Wow, those Radiant ads. Good for them. I hope they go for it. 

• Like 7

I'm not the least bit worried about Ron DeSantis' presidential ambitions. One of his biggest drawbacks is that he's a very weird and bizarre individual, as that "thigh date" scenario shows. Apparently, he doesn't like being around people, and can't communicate with them very well, which is important if you want to run for U.S. President. Plus, he hand picks which media types he allows to question, and leaves the rest out in the cold. The MSM will respond to that in a very negative manner that will leave a mark on him. The United States is not like Florida.

The big problem he's also going to face is how he reacts to a sudden crisis. Hurricane Ian showed how out of his depth he is when facing such a scenario, He actually had to beg President Biden for help, which led to a very point on photo where the two of them were sitting at a table and DeSantis had his arms on the table, hands together, and looking down as if he did something very wrong, and Biden is looking at him as if he were saying "You've been a very bad boy, Ronald."

Ron DeSantis may be the big thing going for Republicans, right now. But so too were the likes of Rick Perry, Chris Christie, and Marco Rubio, and they all quickly withered away in the spotlight of a presidential primary. In like a lion, out like a lamb. DeSantis doesn't have that mojo going for him to be president, and he will fail.

And as far as nicknames go, I saw one called "Ronnie Rat", which was in lieu of his ham fisted attacks on Disney. Seems perfect to me.

Come on, Radiant. You know you want to do this. John Oliver's giving you something to sink your teeth into. Do this, and you will all be champions.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Ron DeSantis legitimately scares me, the idea of that man getting anywhere near the federal government.  John didn't even get into the worst aspects of that fucking meatball.  Like Danielle Pompey saying he was antagonistic to black students and would play "devil's advocate" about the Civil War.  Some students even made a satirical video mocking him about it.  Even worse are Mansoor Adayfi's allegations that DeSantis oversaw the torture of detainees at Guantánamo Bay.  Puts the whole "thigh date" and not liking to be corrected in a whole new context.

As for nicknames, I'd go with "Guantánamo Ron"

On a lighter note, I'd love to see what Radiant comes up with for whatever movie John gives them.

• Like 7
(edited)
15 hours ago, ahisma said:

Holy smokes! The range of toilet-based movie parodies Radiant comes up with is awe inspiring. But their CGI is DIRE! John’s offer is tempting, but he did not make any promises that the title in the envelope isn’t X-rated. If I were a plumbing company, I would be nervous!

I'm positive it's not an X-rated movie. LWT would never do that. But it's hard to guess what it would be. Can't be too obscure. It probably wouldn't be anything like what they already did: no sci-fi, no horror, no superhero. Maybe a rom-com? When Harry Met Sally? An animated movie? Ratatouille? Who knows. Can't wait to see it, and I'm sure Radiant will take LWT up on their offer.

As far as the CGI being bad, I think it's perfect for these hilariously, intentionally corny commercials.

3 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

I'm not the least bit worried about Ron DeSantis' presidential ambitions. One of his biggest drawbacks is that he's a very weird and bizarre individual, as that "thigh date" scenario shows. Apparently, he doesn't like being around people, and can't communicate with them very well, which is important if you want to run for U.S. President. Plus, he hand picks which media types he allows to question, and leaves the rest out in the cold. The MSM will respond to that in a very negative manner that will leave a mark on him. The United States is not like Florida.

It's true that for anyone who isn't informed, once they see him in a Presidential debate they'll see what a giant dick he is, so that's a bit of comfort. However, millions of people thought in 2016 Trump did not have the slightest chance of winning, let alone getting the nomination.

I hadn't heard of his "thigh food" technique or the earbuds thing. Again, what. A. Dick. I wonder what his wife is like. 

Meatball Ron is pretty good, honestly. I'm not good at coming up with nicknames, but I would start with a word or description that would really get under his skin.

On last Saturday's SNL cold open, they included a short bit with OJ commenting on the Murdaugh conviction. I had no idea OJ actually did weigh in on this. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 5

I hope it's a snooty French black and white film with wan violins. I don't think the envelope would be anything over PG-13. Have they done Game of Thrones or would that be too on the nose? 

I have come up with Ragu Ron for another DeSantis nickname, but I don't know if it's broad enough for a national audience. 

• Like 3

The "thigh food" test is probably the most narcissistic asshole test I've heard.  Definitely fits with how I see Desantos.

My nickname suggestion is pretty simple "MoRon" or if you are a Trump Supporter "MoRan".

A bit on "Cocaine Bear" would be my movie choice for the Radiant Ad.

Get A Brain! Morans

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

It's true that for anyone who isn't informed, once they see him in a Presidential debate they'll see what a giant dick he is, so that's a bit of comfort. However, millions of people thought in 2016 Trump did not have the slightest chance of winning, let alone getting the nomination.

2016 was the mother of all black swan events. No one was prepared for what he offered and how the voters would react to it. And because he actually "won", it would be extremely difficult to pull it off a second time. The past elections after 2016 gave proof of that. Besides, DeSantis doesn't have his charm and charisma - whatever that may be - to pull it off, and would look absolutely phony and ridiculous if he tried.

2 hours ago, Lugal said:

As for nicknames, I'd go with "Guantánamo Ron"

49 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I have come up with Ragu Ron for another DeSantis nickname, but I don't know if it's broad enough for a national audience. 

27 minutes ago, grawlix said:

My nickname suggestion is pretty simple "MoRon" or if you are a Trump Supporter "MoRan".

All very good ones!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I'm positive it's not an X-rated movie. LWT would never do that.

John wanted a cereal company to message “FU” on their official Twitter account, so I wouldn’t rule it out…

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I sincerely hope you are right in everything you said in your post about DeSantis, @ShadowKnight2.

I personally do like "Ron DeSanctimonious", 'cause, well...*Gestures at his general behavior* But everyone else here has been coming up with some good suggestions as well XD. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, grawlix said:

The "thigh food" test is probably the most narcissistic asshole test I've heard.  Definitely fits with how I see Desantos.

Did you deliberately conflate DeSantis with [George] Santos?

I love it! I think for a nickname I prefer MoRon because there's no confusion that it's RON and he's a moron. Not everyone would get the MoRan reference. (And honestly I didn't remember until I clicked on your link.)

• Like 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

The big problem he's also going to face is how he reacts to a sudden crisis. Hurricane Ian showed how out of his depth he is when facing such a scenario, He actually had to beg President Biden for help, which led to a very point on photo where the two of them were sitting at a table and DeSantis had his arms on the table, hands together, and looking down as if he did something very wrong, and Biden is looking at him as if he were saying "You've been a very bad boy, Ronald."

Ron DeSantis may be the big thing going for Republicans, right now. But so too were the likes of Rick Perry, Chris Christie, and Marco Rubio, and they all quickly withered away in the spotlight of a presidential primary. In like a lion, out like a lamb. DeSantis doesn't have that mojo going for him to be president, and he will fail.

And as far as nicknames go, I saw one called "Ronnie Rat", which was in lieu of his ham fisted attacks on Disney. Seems perfect to me.

Come on, Radiant. You know you want to do this. John Oliver's giving you something to sink your teeth into. Do this, and you will all be champions.

I wish I could be that confident. But I thought the same thing about Trump and he still got elected.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)

John brilliantly skewered DeSantis, as always.

The nicknames are making me laugh. My suggestion would be Ron DeSuckass, but I also love what another late night host suggested: Tiny D.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm positive it's not an X-rated movie. LWT would never do that. But it's hard to guess what it would be. Can't be too obscure. It probably wouldn't be anything like what they already did: no sci-fi, no horror, no superhero. Maybe a rom-com? When Harry Met Sally? An animated movie? Ratatouille? Who knows. Can't wait to see it, and I'm sure Radiant will take LWT up on their offer.

I agree that it's not X rated, because they couldn't show it, and it would be too off brand.  My guess is Schindler's List or something else along those lines.

• Useful 2

While listening to the Thai/thigh food thing, looking at DeSantis, and his overall treatment of people, I am amazed he had dates and eventually married at all. The shit some people are willing to subject themselves to amazes me.

I think the movie will be Knives Out, Top Gun, or Everything Everywhere All At Once. I just have a feeling it will be a blockbuster most have seen. I only saw Knives Out.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I wish I could be that confident. But I thought the same thing about Trump and he still got elected.

especially with all the changes many states have done/are doing to voting rights and voting procedures.  and we still have that SCOTUS decision on whether a state legislature can overrule the public's vote because 'they think' voting irregularities occurred.

• Like 6

Now THIS is the kind of show I wish John was doing every week. Covering something like this is important because there's a very real danger that DeSantis could be our next president, and it's naive to think otherwise. Most voters are just not that well informed and all they might see is a very old Joe Biden standing next to a much younger candidate and think "he seems OK." Trump supporters all like DeSantis and if he's the candidate he will get their votes. 

• Like 5

Frankly, DeSantis isn't what makes me afraid. It is that people are listening to him and that there are enough of those out there to make book banning possible. Reminds me way too much of certain book burnings. 

• Like 9

Agree with what most people are saying. The guy looks like an asshole, but the real problem is that enough people like what he's saying and would vote for him (or the other, equally horrible guy).

On 3/6/2023 at 9:23 PM, peeayebee said:

I hadn't heard of his "thigh food" technique or the earbuds thing. Again, what. A. Dick. I wonder what his wife is like. 

Presumably, she doesn't correct him.

Also, WTF was that guy trying to say about his wife being a Scorpio? I am a Scorpio, though I don't subscribe to any of that astrology nonsense. But I would like to know what is apparently so horrible about us that saying what we are is supposed to be enough explanation.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

But I would like to know what is apparently so horrible about us that saying what we are is supposed to be enough explanation.

i don't follow astrology either, but i got the sense he was saying his wife has a strong personality and/or is a bit stubborn (does not compromise much) and/or insists on having things done her way.  

• Like 3
On 3/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, Hanahope said:

i don't follow astrology either, but i got the sense he was saying his wife has a strong personality and/or is a bit stubborn (does not compromise much) and/or insists on having things done her way.  

Oh, no, not that Ron.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:52 PM, swanpride said:

Frankly, DeSantis isn't what makes me afraid. It is that people are listening to him and that there are enough of those out there to make book banning possible. Reminds me way too much of certain book burnings. 

Me too. I can't believe so many people not only listen to him but go along with banning books and all the other stupid crap he wants. I hard a hard time believing that with Trump and same with DeSantis. So many are going along with it. They are making it happen. That's scary. What else will they make happen?

• Like 3