Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Rush to Judgement

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When a new finding makes a familiar face the top suspect in Gloria Nanmac’s case, Eileen and Roz hustle to report first. Meanwhile, Austin and Claire follow Conrad Pritchard’s trail to figure out what he is really up to in Alaska.

original airdate 3/16/2023

Eileen waiting outside of Gabriel’s window, ready to take him to the office, seems a bit out of character. 🤨

Geez Toby, you signed a confession because the 2 detectives won’t let you sleep until you signed it??! *️⃣

Toby Crenshaw, Ezra Fisher, pastor Reed Gallahorn and now the mystery phone’s owner? With 2 episodes left, am guessing this will be another red herring.

The declared war between Conrad Pritchard and Aaron/Daily Alaskan will put the newspaper’s future in limbo. Will this be resolved within the next 2 episodes or will it be a cliffhanger?

ETA: 
*️⃣ Am fully aware of the various tactics used by the detectives to get a confession. Just ranting…😆

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Eileen is shocked, SHOCKED!, that the police paraded Toby in front of the media in jailhouse orange.  Apparently she didn't watch much TV in her time in the lower 48.  It looks like the show is painting the public defender as incompetent, because a real PD would be working overtime to get that confession recanted/disallowed, and the plea reversed, based on the situation.  Key words for anyone who's ever taken in for questioning:  "I want to speak to an attorney."

The paper is also upset that Conrad is attempting to have the Senator change legislation that would favor mining interests.  Has no one been paying attention to how legislation is created in the US?  How is that a surprise?  That's what lobbyists do.

• Like 10

Yeah, Eileen clearly doesn't watch a lot of normal television, because perp walking your suspect for the cameras, smug showboating conferences, and video recordings suddenly "not working" are staples of every crime procedural ever.  Put down the notes and start watching some CBS shows, Eileen!

Not surprised that Toby isn't likely the killer, although it turns out he and Gloria were actually more than just friends after-all.  At least this led to Eileen and Gloria finding that phone message, where she was at the party and clearly not feeling safe.  And the phone is not recognizable, so it's possible it will be connected to the killer as well.  We shall see!

Knew Daddy Pritchard wasn't going to go quietly into the night and has now declared war against Conrad and the paper after Stanley exposes what he was attempting to do with mining on public land.  They found a perfect way to show how obnoxiously rich he is by having him deliver the "You cost me a billion dollars!" line less like "You've ruined me!" and more "Dammit, son!  I was saving that for a rainy day or for a down payment on my next yacht!  How "inconsiderate of you!" instead.

Figured Gabriel would be away from the paper for longer, but he's already back thanks to some nudging from Eileen of all people.  He's clearly still not over everything, but at least Yumi is able to find an outlet for him by.... throwing cinderblocks off the roof of an abandoned building?

• Like 7
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Geez Toby, you signed a confession because the 2 detectives won’t let you sleep until you signed it??!

This happens more than you'd think. It's an effective tactic for getting a confession, truthful or not.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

So Gabriel was no mandated to go to counseling like Eileen was. So weird

It makes no sense that there was no scene nor any mention of Gabriel getting therapy when he was so clearly struggling.

Pritchard is turning out to be more of a mensch than he seemed at first. I hope his father doesn't completely sink him financially.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 10
5 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Either Hilary is wearing a bad wig or she needs a serious hair makeover. It distracted me this episode.

The only character I really like it Hilary’s boss. 

I’m guessing a wig ?  She looks great and so does her hair on her IG plus she’s carrying twins. 

13 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Either Hilary is wearing a bad wig or she needs a serious hair makeover. It distracted me this episode.

Her hair has been a distraction to me all along.  I get it that she keeps her look simple, but those bangs are atrocious.  I don't understand.

• Like 4

Bangs notwithstanding, I do like that the newsroom on this show is populated by people who look like normal everyday people. Really, the whole show is like that.

Years ago, someone I knew met a New York Times reporter. She was all excited on the way there, and when they actually met she was disappointed because "She looked like a normal everyday person! I was picturing someone much more glamorous!"

TV usually makes everyone look slick, no matter their character's role. I like that any of these people would blend in to a scene out of my real everyday life. I think it makes the show more grounded and accessible.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Bangs notwithstanding, I do like that the newsroom on this show is populated by people who look like normal everyday people. Really, the whole show is like that.

Years ago, someone I knew met a New York Times reporter. She was all excited on the way there, and when they actually met she was disappointed because "She looked like a normal everyday person! I was picturing someone much more glamorous!"

TV usually makes everyone look slick, no matter their character's role. I like that any of these people would blend in to a scene out of my real everyday life. I think it makes the show more grounded and accessible.

And it's not pretending it's the '90s. The last decade when newspapers were still sitting in the VIP section. It's very grounded. Sadly,  it's most likely getting cancelled. 

• Sad 2

I like the team-up of Claire and Austin.  They play off each other well. 

I'm thinking Hillary wasn't yet pregnant or just barely when these episodes were filmed, as she hasn't given birth yet.  I think the hair is a nod to "I'm too busy to worry about my looks".  And I think she carries it off pretty well.  

There are loads of ID documentaries about false confessions & how they're obtained.  Anybody who watched "Making a Murderer" about Steven Avery knows how the cops practically tortured his nephew Brandon into a confession.  It was brutal to watch, so I totally buy the concept and believe it happens more than we know.

I'm so into this show, It would be a travesty if it's not renewed.   

• Like 9
On 3/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Geez Toby, you signed a confession because the 2 detectives won’t let you sleep until you signed it??!

Sleep deprivation is a common torture tactic. If you've ever had insomnia, you know why!

• Like 7
On 3/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Geez Toby, you signed a confession because the 2 detectives won’t let you sleep until you signed it??! *️⃣

Sleep deprivation is a form of torture when used during interrogations.  I don't judge Toby for signing a confession in that situation.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Figured Gabriel would be away from the paper for longer, but he's already back thanks to some nudging from Eileen of all people.  He's clearly still not over everything, but at least Yumi is able to find an outlet for him by.... throwing cinderblocks off the roof of an abandoned building?

I'd definitely have gone for the kitten massage.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:45 PM, filmfan2480 said:

Perhaps I'm not the brightest bulb.  Why wouldn't the police have confiscated his phone?  What was it doing at his uncle's house?

I guess he left it at his uncle's before he was arrested?

• Like 3
On 3/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Figured Gabriel would be away from the paper for longer, but he's already back thanks to some nudging from Eileen of all people. 

I appreciated Eileen's pep talk, but it was surprising to me that the he wasn't almost immediately sent back home when it became obvious he was not ready to come back. 

I really do like the show.  The cast has a nice chemistry, and the stories are kept moving and are interesting.  I hope it gets a renewal.

And perhaps someone who is better acquainted with Alaska's justice system can help me with this.  Gloria was killed in a remote village.  As far as I can see, there is no connection to Anchorage with her killing.  So why is it that her alleged killer is being tried in Anchorage?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

As far as I can see, there is no connection to Anchorage with her killing.  So why is it that her alleged killer is being tried in Anchorage?

I'd assume for the optics of the state government doing something about crimes against indigenous women.

• Useful 2
On 3/18/2023 at 8:17 PM, possibilities said:

This is why I like British TV. Practically everyone looks like regular people rather than airbrushed swimsuit models.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

There was a show on PBS here for awhile, a British import called New Tricks.  It concerned a group of retired detectives hired back to work on cold cases.  Not only did they look their ages, rumpled and ordinary, but they acted like the grouchy old farts they were.  It was great.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2023 at 9:17 PM, possibilities said:

I like that about this show too! It feels more grounded, and it is easier for me to forget I'm watching a tv show. Most shows would have everyone look stunning and glamorous and even the "ugly" people would be pretty.  Not saying anyone on this show is ugly but they look like normal everyday people. 

On 3/18/2023 at 9:11 PM, izabella said:

Her hair has been a distraction to me all along.  I get it that she keeps her look simple, but those bangs are atrocious.  I don't understand.

Eileen's hair is awful, but it is her too short pants that I keep finding distracting.  I keep thinking does she look to Urkel for fashion advice? 

image.png.2aa469f0abb57c03c2f344523c05c2e1.png

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • LOL 5
20 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

There was a show on PBS here for awhile, a British import called New Tricks.  It concerned a group of retired detectives hired back to work on cold cases.  Not only did they look their ages, rumpled and ordinary, but they acted like the grouchy old farts they were.  It was great.

My parents loved that show. It was on for a number of years in the UK too. 

If the US would remake it, the "retired detectives" would probably be around 40. 

Count me in as another one who appreciates how this ensemble looks like real people. I'd even count Hilary Swank in there, who is attractive to be sure, but not so attractive, IMO, that she looks out of place. (The bad bangs help!)

• Like 2
On 3/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, Moxie Cat said:

If the US would remake it, the "retired detectives" would probably be around 40. 

And look like supermodels with perfect teeth and hair. 

Add me to those viewers appreciating the normalness of the Alaska Daily cast.  Not that several of them aren't quite attractive but it's the sort of attractiveness I could seen at work or on the street.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
On 3/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, SnapHappy said:

I like the team-up of Claire and Austin.  They play off each other well. 

I'm thinking Hillary wasn't yet pregnant or just barely when these episodes were filmed, as she hasn't given birth yet.  I think the hair is a nod to "I'm too busy to worry about my looks".  And I think she carries it off pretty well.  

There are loads of ID documentaries about false confessions & how they're obtained.  Anybody who watched "Making a Murderer" about Steven Avery knows how the cops practically tortured his nephew Brandon into a confession.  It was brutal to watch, so I totally buy the concept and believe it happens more than we know.

I'm so into this show, It would be a travesty if it's not renewed.   

She looks heavier to me. I noticed it right away and wondered if that’s why they have her wearing the long coat in so many scenes. I didn’t realize she was pregnant until I looked it up. 

• Like 2