Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Wedding; S02.E12: The Swarm

Bort
  • Start Topic

When the clearing and fort unite to celebrate the union of Ty and Paara, the invitation of a controversial guest threatens to upend the festivities. Lucas offers Veronica an unexpected strategy to unravel her captor's odd connection to 10,000 B.C.

Eve and Gavin ally with James to infiltrate the Lazarus building in hopes of saving Ty and stopping Kiera from destroying their only way home. When a deadly horde awakens beneath the clearing, Veronica must save Ella before a lethal sting kills her.

Airdate: February 21, 2023

I can't believe Eve and Gavin bought James's story about being done with project blue moon. He was obviously playing them. Just because Keira may have killed Caroline doesn't make James good, it just makes them all shady.

Levi is being short-sighted in blowing up the building full of modern technology, medicine, food, what appears to be electricity and plumbing, and the only way back to present day. At least clear the building of supplies first. Of course, this is the guy that jumped back to 10,000 BC with just a backpack (but at least that was better than Gavin and Izzy).

Wouldn't you only die of getting stung by wasps if you are allergic to them? Even crazy big 10,000 BC wasps?

Lilly came back to 10,000 BC to save Veronica's life, but Veronica's life wouldn't have been in danger if she wasn't there. It seems like a waste of her whole character. Seriously, what was the point?

I did kind of enjoy Veronica and Lucas's little romantic interlude, even if it felt out of place.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Family or not, I would not have believed James’ story about Project Blue Moon. Gavin and Co. have known him for two minutes.

I don’t know if the wasps would have evolved to their present size in 10,000 years. The venom may have been stronger, but you would need an allergy or been stung by many, many of them. Must have been some nest that lay dormant.

Nice wedding, but has no idea Ty was engaged.

Too bad for Grandma.

I was impressed that the level of explosives was enough to take out the entire building. Not the best idea. It would have been a good idea to take the food, medicine, medical supplies, etc. And maybe take a hot shower or two.

• Like 2

These characters really never make up their minds on whether to trust Gramps or not. He's obviously shady, obviously has some nefarious plan, but suddenly, Gramps' Henchwoman is the most evilest to ever evil. I don't think Pilot Pete is very smart, but his plan to kill Gramps is probably one of the smartest ideas from this show. And then leaving Gramps to code Project Blue Moon while Eve stands on the other side of the room? 

It is ridiculous that Gavin is so into protecting his dad when he was so wary of him, like, two episodes ago. Then we have Izzy flip flopping on her decisions, such as trusting Gramps, and then we have Eve, who also can't seem to make up her mind. 

Bye, Caroline. Hope you find your way off the set of La Brea that you stumbled into and accidentally got assigned this role!

So, we get confirmation that Veronica is around Pre-Med's age, which means, at BEST, Veronica is 20/21. And Lucas looks 30 years old. And we're supposed to root for them as a couple. He looks too old and she looks too young. 

I was so convinced Ty was dying in the building with the whole "I can't go see my wife because I have to help you idiots." And the lion showing up just made me sure that Ty was about to be attacked by ANOTHER lion. Glad that didn't happen.

Ok, so snarking aside for ONE moment: Riley, Veronica and Scott are a trio I never knew I needed, but damn, I actually kind of enjoyed their scenes, even if it was fighting killer wasps.

And Scott's changed since killing Jason Fauxmoa last episode. He became a badass, not just with his knowledge, but with that flamethrower that would most definitely not work in reality.

Also, bye Ella/Lily! You will not be missed since you didn't do shit since appearing this season! What a waste of a character. She literally did not need to follow Psychic Dad and Moody through the sinkhole. 

Wolf Snack and Doctor Seal do nothing, but what else is new? 

I was hoping for more death but alas, looks like even the building collapse won't spare us from these characters.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

It's cool that the prehistoric village thought enough to build a prehistoric hot tub out there in the grassland.

Lucas killed off the bad guy, and he gets a prehistoric WWE belt as a prize.  Love it.

Note to self:  If I'm ever in charge of building a gigantic, well defended structure somewhere in the the prehistoric countryside, it's absolutely necessary to have a secret entrance that no one knows about.  You never can tell when Elizabeth Holmes takes over the place.  Poor redshirt guard got one scene and a few lines, and then he's KO'd.

By the way, the latitude/longitude comes up to Falls Creek, a bit of open space surrounded by 10,000 homes in a subdivision called Porter Ranch in the San Fernando Valley, CA.  No idea of the connection, because it's a long way from the Clearing.

Why are people wearing wristwatches?  Does segmented time even mean anything?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I’ve lost track of who to trust and who not to trust and who thinks so and so should be trusted now just because of whatever. Since one of the “evil” people murdered another “evil” person there’s one less of them to deal with.  However Kira manages not to kill Silas  (Yet).  I was wondering if we’d see him again.

That Veronica - Lucas romance is boring.  She’s trying to work out the writings in that book that was in Aaron’s pocket …. How with no information other than he kidnapped her and is responsible for her being trapped in 10,000 BC.  Apparently the guy was an overall creep according to Silas since he routinely took credit for other people’s work.  I also would challenge her statement that programming is “all about numbers”.   BTW there’s data involved and that is more than numbers.  

The attack with the killer wasps bored me.  Again people are trapped while someone is in danger.  How many times have we seen this already.  Even though Ella didn’t really have much of a role maybe they could have just let the character fade away - why did they have to kill her?  I guess to give Veronica more angst.  

Blowing up the entire building was stupid.  As @KaveDweller noted, the building probably had supplies that could be useful.  Then there’s shelter from all of the elements (you know, the wolves and bison from earlier episodes) that have plagued the group.  

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

By the way, the latitude/longitude comes up to Falls Creek, a bit of open space surrounded by 10,000 homes in a subdivision called Porter Ranch in the San Fernando Valley, CA.  No idea of the connection, because it's a long way from the Clearing.

Interesting.  Now I’m wondering if the show will make a connection.  I am not hopeful.  

edited to add: When Kira took Ty away as a hostage, it sounded like they left in a vehicle.  Now only if they can find it to take it from her and travel to that spot.  Who knows.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Like 1

I've completely lost the thread of this story. James and Co. came back to 10,000 BC from some point in the future to "fix" their world - with wife Caroline and her father Silas, right? And then Caroline gave birth to Gavin and then at some point used to portal to go to the 1980s but left Gavin in 10,000 BC with Silas who went to live with Paara's tribe at the fort. So . . . why couldn't James just go get Gavin back from the fort? It's not like he didn't have the fire power and it shouldn't have been too hard to find him.

I had to laugh when Ty was laying out the consequences of Project Blue Moon: Gavin and Eve would never meet so Izzy and Josh would never be born. I'd be OK with that. And there'd be no sinkholes and nobody would ever go back to 10,000 BC. I'd be OK with that too. Was I supposed to go "Oh no!"?

Why can't the La Brea people go live in the protected fort with Paara's people? It doesn't look like there are very many of them and there's plenty of room. And now we learn there's another village to the south with more warriors? How many people are living nearby in 10,000 BC anyway?

Where did Levi get explosives from? Did he bring them back with him?

Is it really wise to go running off on your own for a dip in the hot tub when there are wild prehistoric beasties roaming free?

Why on earth does the Lazarus building have an animal lab? What's that got to do with time travel? And how did they all get loose?

The La Brea people seem to have a surprising amount of useful things whenever they happen to need them, including a big jug of soap and a rubber hose.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I had to laugh when Ty was laying out the consequences of Project Blue Moon: Gavin and Eve would never meet so Izzy and Josh would never be born.

Not only that, but think of the other possible changes.  The Red Sox might never win a World Series, JR wouldn't get shot, the Losties would arrive safely on Flight 815, and the CrockPot O'Death would have been thrown away and the Pearson family would live happily ever after.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I've completely lost the thread of this story. James and Co. came back to 10,000 BC from some point in the future to "fix" their world - with wife Caroline and her father Silas, right? And then Caroline gave birth to Gavin and then at some point used to portal to go to the 1980s but left Gavin in 10,000 BC with Silas who went to live with Paara's tribe at the fort. So . . . why couldn't James just go get Gavin back from the fort? It's not like he didn't have the fire power and it shouldn't have been too hard to find him.

I had to laugh when Ty was laying out the consequences of Project Blue Moon: Gavin and Eve would never meet so Izzy and Josh would never be born. I'd be OK with that. And there'd be no sinkholes and nobody would ever go back to 10,000 BC. I'd be OK with that too. Was I supposed to go "Oh no!"?

Why can't the La Brea people go live in the protected fort with Paara's people? It doesn't look like there are very many of them and there's plenty of room. And now we learn there's another village to the south with more warriors? How many people are living nearby in 10,000 BC anyway?

Is it really wise to go running off on your own for a dip in the hot tub when there are wild prehistoric beasties roaming free?

Why on earth does the Lazarus building have an animal lab? What's that got to do with time travel? And how did they all get loose?

The La Brea people seem to have a surprising amount of useful things whenever they happen to need them, including a big jug of soap and a rubber hose.

I'm pretty lost myself at this point ! I am going to go back and watch the 2 episodes again just to see if I can get things right in my head. You may be wondering why I would punish myself by watching all this again, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment :) But, I did catch the scene where Levi was digging up the explosives, so I'm assuming he buried them himself when he was off in the 80's ( or was it the 90's ?) so that he could retrieve them when he got back to 10,000 bc. Kind of like from the first season when Gavin found Eve's ring ( or necklace ?). See, it's like a lot of people have said, there are so many details and plot threads in this show, it's very hard to remember it all. 

And, yeah, the La Brea people seem to find what they need right when they need it-- who knew they had duct tape !!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
20 minutes ago, willco said:

See, it's like a lot of people have said, there are so many details and plot threads in this show, it's very hard to remember it all.

I think they’re making it up as they go along.  I’d try to white board this mess but I have a couple of other little side projects right now that I think I’ll get more out of than this show.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think James said at one point he didn't know Gavin was there? Maybe he thought Gavin went with Caroline to the 1980s?

Of course, what's-her-name from 2021 knew exactly where Gavin was and that he ended up in modern times. So that seems like a pretty weak excuse.

• Like 2

Silly question: 
Is there a chance that Silas is an older incarnation of James?
(I never understood why Gavin's mom was young.)

On 2/22/2023 at 12:46 AM, Frozendiva said:

I was impressed that the level of explosives was enough to take out the entire building. Not the best idea. It would have been a good idea to take the food, medicine, medical supplies, etc. And maybe take a hot shower or two.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:08 AM, Cobb Salad said:

Blowing up the entire building was stupid.

Why waste the whole climate controlled building???? If you're going to blow up a time travel device (which I think is a terrible waste anyway), taking out the whole neighborhood is kind of pointless.

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Clearly this tale is based on all the deadbeat fathers of the world who didn't want to deal with diapers and crying babies, but were more than happy to embrace the role of proud papa once their offspring were self sufficient.
Probably the idea for the series came about when some bleary-eyed father of infant twins was pacing the floor with them. I like to think he did not desert his kids, but rather just wrote this terrible fantasy.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

But, I did catch the scene where Levi was digging up the explosives, so I'm assuming he buried them himself when he was off in the 80's ( or was it the 90's ?) so that he could retrieve them when he got back to 10,000 bc. 

No that doesn't make any sense. If he buried the explosives in 1990 they wouldn't magically appear in 10,000 BC. (It would have to be the other way around: bury them in the past, dig them up in the future. Except that 12,000 years later I can't imagine they'd still work.)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

No that doesn't make any sense. If he buried the explosives in 1990 they wouldn't magically appear in 10,000 BC. (It would have to be the other way around: bury them in the past, dig them up in the future. Except that 12,000 years later I can't imagine they'd still work.)

While it might not make any sense for Levi to bury explosives in 1990 to magically appear in 10,000 BC, maybe Levi first went back to 10,001 BC and buried them. 🙃😉

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I admit I haven't been paying really close attention, but what happened to the Civil War gold?

That’s a good question.  I think it was one of those one off things to add mystery to the show that they’re not going to explore.  

On 2/22/2023 at 7:53 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, we get confirmation that Veronica is around Pre-Med's age, which means, at BEST, Veronica is 20/21. And Lucas looks 30 years old. And we're supposed to root for them as a couple. He looks too old and she looks too young.

I guess I wasn't paying attention. Can you please remind me what was said about their ages? Even though Lucas looks 30, I don't think he's meant to be that old in the show. I was more skeeved out by Eve telling her high school aged daughter to go talk to the adult men who were eyeing her up at the wedding.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I admit I haven't been paying really close attention, but what happened to the Civil War gold?

Someone burried it last season and they've never mentioned it again. Too bad.

1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

I guess I wasn't paying attention. Can you please remind me what was said about their ages? Even though Lucas looks 30, I don't think he's meant to be that old in the show. I was more skeeved out by Eve telling her high school aged daughter to go talk to the adult men who were eyeing her up at the wedding.

When Veronica and Riley were talking, one of them said how they should talk more because they are the only ones their age. But that could be as broad as being in their 20s.

• Like 2

Gavin's really annoying with his blind loyalty for his father. Especially over Levi who saved all his kids lives and  was there for them when he was a drunk.  When Izzy is the one voice of reason about him you know how bad the others are. Where did this sudden back history of how he was the one that got her through her accident? She didn't act like that happened before.

Gavin declares Eli not family because he tried to kill his wonderful dad. 

Eve was so stupid trust James because of Gavin. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 7:53 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Wolf Snack and Doctor Seal do nothing

Oh, come now, where would the emotional gravitas of this show come from if not for Bitter Wolf Snack's pouting? All that Jagged Little Pill boi needs to do is pick up a guitar and start strummin' the emo croons of how the ladies always betray his trust and he'll never, ever be the same and, oh, bring me more distilled corn moonshine now for my behind the scenes outtake.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:20 AM, iMonrey said:

I think you were, but if it's true, I'm so cheering for James to pull through. I, for one, wouldn't miss them at all. 

I was really happy when Levi came back and was clearly (or so I was led to believe) over Princess Eve. Clearly, he can do better. Much, much better. When GreazyGavin told him to Stay.Away.From.My.Family I so hoped Levi would just shrug and say, "cool, ya'll really suck anyway. Peace out." 

How many freaking books and pages and journals and whatnot am I supposed to be keeping track of? There's the Aaron journal, the Blue Moon journal, pages from someone else's diary, I think? Should probably at least have used one of those old school diaries that came with a lock if these things were so important. Then Eve could aim her Katniss Everdeen arrow and break it open.

The worst problem, though? Not only is this confusing, it is boring AF. I don't care about a bunch of people screaming "DON'T TRUST SO AND SO!!!!" That's not the kind of dramatic tension that distracts me enough from pleading with someone, anyone, to get Jack GreazyGavin some freaking shampoo. 

Um....so, Veronica decides to walk RIGHT OVER the cracks of buzzy doom? There isn't a back or side route to get to her sister? Also really liked the wasps hovering all over the EpiPen. Didn't realize those were enticing to insects. Must be the kid-friendly strawberry flavored?

Flamethrower looks like a SuperSoaker water gun. 

Ohhhh, goody, more winsome dialogue from Mary Sue Eve - lady, you're talking to a demented evil genius. You think telling him that he's trading your family for his will make him say, "aw, shucks, you're right. I'm sorry. I was just feeling badly about myself. Want to go get a Good Humor bar?" And now...she's picking up a...candlestick?...is this Clue?...well, assorted head whacks later, James just leaves without completing Blue Moon while Princess is passed out on the floor? 

Go Levi, go! I am liking evil Levi. Oh, for crying out loud, of course here comes Greazy to save the day. And, even better, Izzy shows up as Little Mary Sue. With one little teary eyed plea, she turns evil Levi back to boring Levi who lives for little scraps of wholesome family time tossed his way. Bleeeeeeechhhh. 

Whoopsy. Bomb gonna go boom because in the 90s apparently all bombs were made with a fail safe. Brilliant.

Maybe Izzy could make herself useful and let out the poor animals trapped inside. And just maybe grab some food from the cafeteria? Well, wait, I hear wasps are nice fried up crisp and an excellent source of protein.

Season finale already? Can't say I'm sorry to see that.

Edited by potatoradio
Now that I'm watching Part II....
  • Like 3

Flamethrower looks like a SuperSoaker water gun. 

I think it was. But as I pointed out in a previous post, the La Brea clearing seems to provide them with whatever they need at any given moment. Convenient!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Ohhhh, so SuperSoaker is deliberate. Did it fall down from the 1988 portal as an ironic culture statement? I don't know whether SuperSoakers are still a big thing in 2022. I remember them as a big 80s or maybe early 90s toy. Anyway, good to know that a plastic toy can be filled with radiator fluid AND used as a flamethrower. This show has got to be the easiest writing gig in town. No need to fuss about whether any of the details are actually plausible or possible...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Why oh why was there another double episode?  I only watched the first one, so I disappointingly can't read any of the comments yet.  

I thought the people in the village hated the folks in the clearing?  Don't they still have a standing beef?  Or maybe I've lost track.

The people in the village were fine with James attending?  

Why was Kira asking Ty permission to go into the village when she could have just forced her way in?  What exactly did she want to do in the village anyway?   If she wanted to get at James, she could have done it anytime if she had the other guards' support.

I thought Levi knew something about James that we didn't.  I guess not, eh.

Wolf Snack having a hissy fit was annoying.  

Is Veronica supposed to be important or not?   We get to see the date at the hot spring but they skipped showing us Silas actually telling Veronica about Aaron and instead we had to hear it all after-the-fact?  

• Like 1

I caught up with the episodes last night and I am also lost. The story makes no sense because they change it all the time. Izzy hated Levi for breaking up her family, now she is his salvation? And Eve is supposed o=to be dying but she is all over saving the world across time and space?

A couple of extra laughable moments - in an open area with one little tree, Sam sees ONE broken branch and immediately concludes that the Exiles walked by that  area? 

Ty, with a gun literally to his head, telling Paara that he doesn't want "anyone to get hurt". Dude, you don't want YOU to get hurt. Just tell the truth! Then later, in the tower, he has headaches and needs to go get some meds. But as he starts moving to the infirmary, he is grabbing his stomach.

Do we need more evidence of the incompetence and lack of creativity coming from the writers than the staging of the wedding? They didn't even take the time to come up with a celebration that is not an imitation of the modern western celebrations. With ring and all. Even Paara welcoming people, the kids playing, the flowers... We don't know how things happened in 10,000 BC so CREATE! We do know, based on more ancient celebrations and some indigenous stories from WAY before colonization that it wasn't like today. That village is like modern times with dirty roads, animal skin as clothing and huts as dwelling. Pathetic.

Also: Mommy and daddy calling Isaiah "Gavin". Theydon't know him as Gavin, why they adapt so quickly? Same for Veronica and Ella. 

Someone explain, please: why is "Gavin" a lead in this show? The actor is terrible, he has no traditional Hollywood appeal - he is not the usual regular "hot" guy, the character is annoying and disposable. Why is he such a "star"?

The acting in this show is so bad, it is hard to pick the worst of the episode.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, circumvent said:

A couple of extra laughable moments - in an open area with one little tree, Sam sees ONE broken branch and immediately concludes that the Exiles walked by that  area?

Yeah, it's such a stupid trope and it cracks me up. "Broken twig: someone was here!"

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Camera One said:

Is Veronica supposed to be important or not?   We get to see the date at the hot spring but they skipped showing us Silas actually telling Veronica about Aaron and instead we had to hear it all after-the-fact?  

This is a great point.  It would have been helpful to find out more about Silas too other than being the guy keeping Isiah “under guard” at the fort last season.  We know he’s Caroline’s father and Isaiah/Gavin’s grandfather but what else was he doing there?  He appears as a mysterious character, creates drama, then disappears.  I guess he’s alive for now but who knows if they’ll kill him off soon.  

I don’t know if Veronica is supposed to be important - since she told Lucas about the code she supposedly deciphered who will do the reveal to the rest of the group?  I guess however it happens will be convenient for the time it is revealed but won’t make sense overall. 

Just watched the second "swarm" of bad plot devices thrown against the wall.  So in addition to the sudden wasp nest that apparently wasn't disturbed when debris from L.A. fell from the sky, we have The Tower with the threat of Kira and her guards, Levi and his explosives AND the wild, wild animals that conveniently escaped because "security protocols" in this building are stupid?

Where the heck did Lucas go?  He had a short vacation so let's throw in Riley to give Veronica someone to talk to, because she had nothing else to do.  Poor Ella.  Did she do anything this season that made a difference?  She could have stayed home.  Too bad she will be forgotten when the inevitably "happy ending" occurs.

I don't understand why EVERYONE didn't just immediately run when the ground started shaking beneath them, instead of sticking around to figure out what was about to burst out.  At least Heroic Scott was entertaining.

Speaking of Heroes of Heroes, we had About-To-Collapse-Any-Minute Ty turning his back on meds to aim an axe perfectly to kill that sabre tooth tiger.  I guess there was just one escaped animal, since Izzy managed to walk around with no problems. Speaking of which, whose keycard did she steal to get into The Tower?

So was Paara still journeying to get more warriors from the South? 

Meanwhile, we have Levi the idiot destroying all the possibly useful modern tech that could help them survive since he means for them to stay in 10,000 BCE forever.  So his mission was to kill James, wasn't it?  Why not keep going with that?  The Writers were laying it on thick when they revealed his daughter was also killed along with his wife.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Camera One said:

Why oh why was there another double episode?  I only watched the first one, so I disappointingly can't read any of the comments yet.  

I thought the people in the village hated the folks in the clearing?  Don't they still have a standing beef?  Or maybe I've lost track.

I think NBC is trying to finish all the episodes quickly. They must have a new show ready to take the Tuesday night timeslot?

The village people did hate them, and you'd think it would get worst after that other guy from the village died. But maybe they are putting things aside for Para?

9 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

It would have been helpful to find out more about Silas too other than being the guy keeping Isiah “under guard” at the fort last season.  We know he’s Caroline’s father and Isaiah/Gavin’s grandfather but what else was he doing there?  He appears as a mysterious character, creates drama, then disappears.  I guess he’s alive for now but who knows if they’ll kill him off soon.  

Totally, Silas should still have some answers so they will probably kill him off soon too.  Silas and Veronica's conversation should have happened near the hot spring, as Lucas was running off to get help.

Rebecca was another of those characters who appeared, created drama and mystery, disappeared conveniently and then popped up and promptly died.  Was there any reason why she had to be so cryptic with Gavin in L.A. in Season 1?

Who was mining to provide valuable ore to The Tower after our protagonists escaped?

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I think NBC is trying to finish all the episodes quickly. They must have a new show ready to take the Tuesday night timeslot?

It does seem like a burn-off.  All these amazing cliffhangers gone to waste.

It looks like it's the variety show "That's My Jam" with Jimmy Fallon.  Cheaper and will probably bring in more viewers, too.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, iMonrey said:

On 2/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

On 2/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

While it might not make any sense for Levi to bury explosives in 1990 to magically appear in 10,000 BC, maybe Levi first went back to 10,001 BC and buried them. 🙃😉

I don't care enough to go back and check the episode where Older Levi came through the portal to see if he was carrying them, but I assumed he brought the explosives from 1990 and buried them in 10,000 BC recently when he returned so as not to freak everyone out that his plan was to blow up their only opportunity to return to their time.  I figure he brought them through the portal, buried them and then went to the clearing to find everyone.

I know wasps and hornets are entirely different but my mind immediately went to "10,000 BC murder hornets".

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I don't care enough to go back and check the episode where Older Levi came through the portal to see if he was carrying them, but I assumed he brought the explosives from 1990 and buried them in 10,000 BC recently when he returned so as not to freak everyone out that his plan was to blow up their only opportunity to return to their time.  I figure he brought them through the portal, buried them and then went to the clearing to find everyone.

I know wasps and hornets are entirely different but my mind immediately went to "10,000 BC murder hornets".

Didn't someone greet him when he walked through the portal. They saw the light opening and he walked through right in front of him?

But he still could have burried them as soon as he got a minute alone?