Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: If You Can't Jump, You Plunge

• Start Topic

Nicole has a rocky reunion with Mahmoud; Gabe embarks on his new Colombian life; Kris and Jeymi finally meet; Rishi keeps a secret from Jen; Daniele frets over finances; Debbie prepares to move to Morocco for a much younger man.

First Look: 17/02/23; TLC: 19/02/23; Discovery+: 19/02/23;

• Like 2

A dull preview.

Kris lands in Colombia to a nervous Jeymi. She does a bit of freshening up, but not the Darcey Angel bath.

Nicole is packing up her place and her parents drop by to help out. She tells them that she converted to Islam before marrying Mahmoud, but doesn’t like the rules and things like head coverings and clothes. Read the fine print. You will be expected to make some changes.

Jen is heading off to India. She hasn’t been there in 2 years and has no idea what she is in for.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I have to mute Jen and read the closed captioning because her vocal fry drives me insane.

Nicole in that hat is really channeling the Dutch Boy Paint kid.

Kris’s sequined mask made me claustrophobic and I can’t believe she applied roll on deodorant just standing there in the airport. Didn’t she learn anything from Darcey about freshening up in the ladies room? 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9

Kris packs up her life in suitcases without wheels and garment bag, is this the eighties, a garment bag? I have not seen one of those in a long time. She lands and magically changes out of her special unicorn look in to something more pedestrian, good choice.

I would like someday to have the invisible means of financial support that these idiots always seem to have.

Islam, Muslim, whatever religion your intended follows is never anything the American studies up on and I am not sure why.

How do these families deal with these people, are they worn down by the fact their person has never had a grip on reality?

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Kris packs up her life in suitcases without wheels and garment bag, is this the eighties, a garment bag?

I was intrigued by Jen's suitcases that hooked together like a train

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

So does this show have a theme of Muslim and Hindu men wanting to mold American women to their cultures, or is that just the narrative framing?  Not that the women are completely blameless here, especially Nichole being surprised that these are still the expectations put upon her, but if keeping to this culture is so important to these men, why are they trying to marry outside of it?

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Perhaps we’ll never know the real impetus behind these relationships in which the American seems clueless about marrying a person of a religion that they can’t accept.  Anyone, who reads, goes online or watches tv would likely have some knowledge of the religious requirements and cultures that they intend to join.  It seems the shock and horror is for the audience’s entertainment…..and I’m sick of it.  Lol

I was on the live chat thread last night, but fell asleep….AGAIN!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, anoninrva said:

but if keeping to this culture is so important to these men, why are they trying to marry outside of it?

I scream that thought every single season!! It is maddening!

My theory is the local women don't have the money they think the American women have.

Nicole seems like she knows the rules but likes to poke the bear, she likes being told what to do then pushing back on it and the fighting they do about the issue at hand.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I scream that thought every single season!! It is maddening!

My theory is the local women don't have the money they think the American women have.

Nicole seems like she knows the rules but likes to poke the bear, she likes being told what to do then pushing back on it and the fighting they do about the issue at hand.

Are the men looking for an American woman or are the women just stupid thinking the rules of another country or religion don't apply to them? Some are scammers for sure but a lot were happy living their lives where they are before the woman suddenly appeared & wanted to marry them after a few days, promising to move and even changing their religion like it's a new pair of pants to try on and only take notice of the bits they like.

Every person in every country except the USofA can't be a scammer no matter how many times you write it, just as every American abroad can't be a sex tourist.

14 hours ago, anoninrva said:

So does this show have a theme of Muslim and Hindu men wanting to mold American women to their cultures, or is that just the narrative framing?  Not that the women are completely blameless here, especially Nichole being surprised that these are still the expectations put upon her, but if keeping to this culture is so important to these men, why are they trying to marry outside of it?

Are they trying to marry outside of it though or are the women making promises they can't keep?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

$2k for an apartment in the DR?

Fee Fi Foe Fum she smelt the cash of an American woman!

Jamal made a good point on PT last night, that it was half the rent she (supposedly) paid in NYC. Or maybe DIDN'T pay according to financial gossip about her. I was horrified at her reaction when Yohan said he could only contribute $ 90 a month towards the rent which then reduced him to "wife" duties and status. He's a proud man and not going to take this emasculation well. 

Like others have mentioned, my gaydar was pinging loudly with Mahmoud. He has finally found a good "beard" who he thinks he can mold to be a good Muslim wife. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 14
  • Love 2

I'm hoping things will pick up next week. This was long and boring. I'm interested in the Debbie story along with her 24 year old, but we only got 10 minutes of that.

Nicole and Mahmoud: Nicole shouldn't have been so pushed because Mahmoud wanted her to button up her coat. Just go with it, you just got there, don't cause a scene, don't ruin everything the first day. I liked her dad, but I sensed a disconnect between Nicole's mom and herself. They don't seem close at all - and did mom not know she was going to be on TV? Why would someone dress like that unless immediately after the show they were going to go out and clean the garage?

Jen and Rishi: Reminds me of Jenny and Summit's storyline. I don't need a rehash, thank you.

Kris and Jeymi: I don't like Fairy-girl. She's clueless and full of issues. This isn't going to work out. No one will ever work out w/her.

Gabe and Isabel: Please, no. I can't do a one note storyline that I suspect will go on all season. I mute and do something else during their segments.

Danielle and Yohan: Is this a love connection? Could have fooled me.

Hope I didn't forget anyone. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone, who reads, goes online or watches tv would likely have some knowledge of the religious requirements and cultures that they intend to join.

And in the case of Nicole, she's already personally experienced it, and fled!  No reading, onlining or watching TV even required.  But she's back.

There's something really off about that girl.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Breedom said:

and did mom not know she was going to be on TV?

that reminds me... I wonder what Rishi's family thought he was being filmed for. "The Bachelor, Indian Edition"? 
“Indian Matchmaker”? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

that reminds me... I wonder what Rishi's family thought he was being filmed for. "The Bachelor, Indian Edition"? 

I was wondering what they were led to believe too, having a camera crew in their home recording everything. LOL!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And in the case of Nicole, she's already personally experienced it, and fled!  No reading, onlining or watching TV even required.  But she's back.

There's something really off about that girl.

Why does she think things will be different this time? 

She must not be very close to her parents if she never mentioned converting to Islam. They seem like they've given up on trying to talk sense into her. I suspect she said that (supposed) easy-peasy conversion prayer the same time they crashed another wedding, solely for the purpose of sleeping together that night. All it takes is repeating ONE SENTENCE and presto! You're now Muslim? She immediately regretted her decision. Can you un-convert just as easily? 

I just looked it up and suprisingly, conversion IS as simple as that: 

How to Convert to Islam - The Testimony of Faith (Shahada)

"Becoming a Muslim is a simple and easy process.  All that a person has to do is to say a sentence called the Testimony of Faith (Shahada), which is pronounced as:

I testify “La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah.”

These Arabic words mean, “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.”  Once a person says the Testimony of Faith (Shahada) with conviction and understanding its meaning, then he/she has become a Muslim. 

The first part, “There is no true deity but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son.  The second part means that Muhammad was a true Prophet sent by God to humankind.

To be a Muslim, one should also:

- Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him.

- Believe that the Judgment Day (Resurrection Day) is true and will come.

- Believe in the prophets that God sent and the books He revealed, and in His angels.

- Accept Islam as his/her religion.

- Not worship anything nor anyone except God."

I don't see any of the details about the rules, how to dress, pray, dietary restrictions, etc., I guess that falls under the heading of accepting Islam as your religion and Nicole must have been in for a rude awakening when she found out there was a "catch"

Reading further, it's very easy to convert TO Islam, but you can't leave unless you risk EXECUTION! Sounds like the Hotel California where "you can check in, but you can't check out!" 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 4

Did Kris ask Jeymi to do a video of her current home so she can see what she is getting? Even when looking at apartments, there should be online listings that both could view and Jeymi could check out before renting a new home. Or find a suitable place together.

Nicole is old enough to know about the Muslim faith and rules. If she didn’t like them the first time, they won’t magically change. Before jumping the gun on an insta-marriage to a guy in another country who is from a country that is predominantly a different religion and way of life, she had the three weeks before she went back to read up on Islam, visit a local mosque to talk to an Imam about converting and rules, etc., and then make an informed and not impulsive decision. Too bad, so sad for her. I thought she was pretty covered at the airport, but do as your spouse says and change later.

Jen, you have no idea what is waiting for you in India. Rishi lives with a lot of family. I assume mom and company are eagerly looking for wives for him. At least she was smart enough to find a hotel for the night and then take the 6 hour train or whatever to Rishi’s city.

Daniele, I would wonder if the apartment lady was ripping me off because I was American. I would look at other options. You know perfectly well that Yohan cannot contribute much to a luxury home. I cannot see you washing your hair or yourself with a pail of water.

Isabel, you and Gabriel have a lot to talk about and work out. I didn’t need to know about the various intimacy mechanics. Gabe will want to be honest about himself, which may or may not be a good idea with your parents.

Hello, eccentric Debbie. Put all your money or well, most of it except what you can afford to lose, into various trust accounts that Oussama cannot touch or knows anything about. Hope your son Julian keeps an eye out for you. I would seriously question why a 24 year old boy would want to marry a woman pushing 70. You can be a Patron for him if he has any genuine artistic talent. Have your fun but keep one eye open at all times.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Clearly Nicole’s parents don’t understand conversion either.  They tell the camera that her husband can’t tell her what to wear.  Um, she’s converted to Islam and is moving to an Islamic nation.  Not following the rules could result in some unpleasant consequences.  They all don’t understand it isn’t just about what Nicole and hubby expect…there are religious and cultural norms she needs to adhere or face consequences.  The rules aren’t going to be changed just for her.   It is no different from when I visited Rome many years ago   People were required to cover shoulders and knees to enter certain religious buildings  No exceptions.  It didn’t matter what your religion was.

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, magemaud said:

I don't see any of the details about the rules, how to dress, pray, dietary restrictions, etc., I guess that falls under the heading of accepting Islam as your religion and Nicole must have been in for a rude awakening when she found out there was a "catch"

Reading further, it's very easy to convert TO Islam, but you can't leave unless you risk EXECUTION! Sounds like the Hotel California where "you can check in, but you can't check out!" 

It's in the fine print! 😆

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, Breedom said:

Jen and Rishi: Reminds me of Jenny and Summit's storyline. I don't need a rehash, thank you.

Except Rishi is good looking and didn't start off the relationship catfishing and pretending to be someone else like POS Sumit did so I'll give him a few points for that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really don't need to see Jeymi half naked and old Kris salivating over her. Just NO!

Nicole is a moron! She has been through this cultural expectation thing not once, not twice but three times she went to Egypt as a married woman. Did she expect a different outcome this time? 

Daniele, shut up. You're not paying for anything because you have no money. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Except Rishi is good looking and didn't start off the relationship catfishing and pretending to be someone else like POS Sumit did so I'll give him a few points for that. 

And Rishi has education, skills, and a J.O.B.! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I actually like Debbie: I think she is kind of a weird-in-a-benign-and-lovable, caring sort of soul, who has a normal son and recognizes that she has had a few disappointing relationships. Thank goodness she's not another slobbering, classless, loud Angela or a drink-throwing, chain-smoking groupie BG Lisa or a sad, dentured cat lady Other Debbie. I'm hopeful. 

I know, I know this is TV and we're all about ratings but the tiresome American Woman involved with Muslim-Country man who wants to assert her feminist side and rail against traditions such as dressing conservatively or being subservient to men and elders is getting very, very tiresome. Nicole admits that she is into fashion; she has had the clothing conversations ad nauseam with Maccchhmoud yet she starts getting prickly in the airport about closing her jacket buttons? And now we have midwestern woman (name eludes me) and flowing-hair guy from India again trying to break generations of tradition of arranged marriage of an Indian guy marrying another Indian woman? And hiding it from his family? Yeah, been there and done that; we all know how this will end up. 

Another all-too-common theme is "will your family accept me because I'm [gay, trans, etc]? As someone else mentioned, will the entire season of Gabe be about when/how her family will be informed and their reactions? Just like last season's Mexico couple. Sorry, I'm terrible with names.

Jeymi and Kris are going to crash early, I have a hunch. Kris is a hot mess, with her ailments and wacky personality - and it seems she has not revealed the half of it. How does a couple decide to marry when never having spent any time together in real life? I would want to check out how the other person lives, their family, how they interact with others, their breath, their health and living habits (hoarder? slob?) and so much more.  Did anyone notice that Kris has something wrong with her right ear? It looks injured or very, very irritated. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 7

"Mean Girl Models" WERE nasty, but Florian did absolutely nothing to try and make a good impression. He never even flashed his blindingly white new veneers but instead slouched around with a brooding expression.

I don't know how this ended up here, it's supposed to be on Darcey and Stacey's forum. I'll move it

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Kris is a hot mess, with her ailments and wacky personality - and it seems she has not revealed the half of it.

She has narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome, a house that needs to be fixed after a fire, money issues, etc...meeting someone for the first time in person, sure get married before you even know each other!

1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Did anyone notice that Kris has something wrong with her right ear? It looks injured

Kris has a problem with the thing attached to that ear.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Let me just hop aboard the bandwagon of people who wonder what's going on in Nicole's empty lil head. Because I just don't understand how she could remain so willfully ignorant about the culture of the man she's supposedly in love with. Why wouldn't she have done a little research first, before committing to changing religions and getting married to a guy who she's only known for a short time? Why wouldn't she have bothered to learn what was expected of her as a Muslim woman/wife - especially since her plan was to live within that culture? The entire scene at the airport seemed so scripted and awkward - like, why would she think she wouldn't be allowed to hug her husband in public? Every time she questions him about why he wants her to cover up, or says "I just wasn't sure what the rules are," I just want to shake her. It's not his job to make sure she knows the proper protocols when immersed in Muslim culture. Evidently, his job is selling pretty fabric and keeping himself safe from being stoned to death for being gay by pretending to be straight. Because Mahmoud is pinging my gaydar, big time.

Oh, the train wreck that is Debbie. She could just as easily be on an episode of Hoarders or Intervention. She's that level nuts. I will never, for the very life of me, understand why "artist" and "bonkers life decisions" always seem to go hand in hand, but damned if this is isn't the perfect example of that. What on EARTH does she think a 24 year old boy wants with a 70 year old woman? We haven't even met Osama yet - other than the creepy little laugh he does in the previews, we know very little about him. But I'm utterly skeeved out by him and I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's his jacked up teeth. Maybe it's his granny chasing. Is Debbie planning on moving to Osama's country? I don't remember hearing anything about him proposing to her. The whole thing seems really tenuous.

Still having a really hard time watching Jeyme and Kris' segments. There's something undeniably off about both of them - Kris' "offness" comes across more plainly than Jeyme's, but there's something going on there, as well. It's just super uncomfortable to watch because I can tell there are mental/emotional issues that are going to rear their ugly heads.  Beyond that, there's just not any substance to their relationship that we've been shown.

I hope against hope that the Gabe/Isabel storyline remains boring. There's very little that this world needs to see more than how mundane and normal their relationship is. Trans people are dull, just like us! Because trans people are.. people.

Jen & Rishi remain uninteresting to me. It's just cringey storyline deja vu.

• Applause 3
  • Love 3

Nicole should know better since she has traveled to Egypt twice. It is not so much Islam per say but more so cultural. Yes, the middle east practices a very strict form of Islam that is very sexist that requires all women to cover up and be completly controlled by men. That is why I will not go there. I do my research and know as a woman, I do not want to abide by those rules. I have been to Italy and yes, some religious sites do require you to cover up, so it is primarly cultural. There are many Muslim countries in other parts of the world that are not nearly as strict as the middle east. In Malaysia, women dress conservativly but are not as covered as they are in the middle east. If I were to travel to Egypt, I would cover up simply out of respect. That is their house, therefore their rules and that must be respected. I do not like it when people travel to the US but do not abide by our rules and cultural practices and alway reciprocate when I travel. If you don't want to do that, stay home.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Still having a really hard time watching Jeyme and Kris' segments. There's something undeniably off about both of them - Kris' "offness" comes across more plainly than Jeyme's, but there's something going on there, as well. It's just super uncomfortable to watch because I can tell there are mental/emotional issues that are going to rear their ugly heads.  Beyond that, there's just not any substance to their relationship that we've been shown.

I think what is worrisome (amongst many other factors) is that Jeyme, in her intro, said that she had a history of bad relationships with men and eventually was told by a therapist/counselor: "have you considered you might be gay?"- at which point she seems to have pinned her issues on that and run with the idea. Maybe it's true; maybe not- but she also admitted that Kris is her first girlfriend, her first love- and she seems drunkenly excited about the idea and is, IMO, way too ready to settle in before really getting to know what she really wants.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

I might've misheard it, but I thought I heard Nicole's dad ask if she was going to become "a muslin."

My mother was a fan of Regency romances, and I picked up some historic British slang terms from reading them. A "bit of muslin" meant a woman of easy virtue.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Is Debbie planning on moving to Osama's country? I don't remember hearing anything about him proposing to her.

Yes, Debbie said that after her last trip to Morocco, he asked her to come back permanently and marry him. 

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm trying, and failing, to come up with a fabric store joke.

How about Nicole is so pale she could be bleached muslin? That's the best I can do! 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3

I will never understand why an American woman who enjoys the rights (although dwindling), and freedoms that America offers want to live somewhere where the men since birth are indoctrinated in thinking women are less than, few rights exist for, male dominated world where women must cover up because we are the temptress devils and if an elbow is seen in public the men could not control themselves and would then rape that woman, she'd then get stoned in the public square or jailed for life. I will never understand it and I will step off my soapbox now.

What is Nicole going to do, fight with her husband everyday about what she can and cannot wear in public? Is that the life she wants? I wonder what kind of friends she will have in her new life? Will she bitch, moan and complain when her husband has to go to work for the entire day and she will be alone all day in a sub par apartment unable to walk outside un-escorted by a male family member?

I think I am very frustrated with these idiots.

• Like 3
  • Applause 9

Nichole looked so much better in the older photos with red hair and a different cut.  When she does those interviews with the blonde cut (wig?), the deer-in-the-headlights expression, the blouse that goes up to the neck, and the alabaster skin she reminds me of a female Andy Warhol.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Why didn't Nicole's man ask her outright on face time before she decided to move back if she is willing to abide by his customs and cover up because nothing has changed with his religious beliefs? That would have solved a lot of their problems, no? 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Why didn't Nicole's man ask her outright on face time before she decided to move back if she is willing to abide by his customs and cover up because nothing has changed with his religious beliefs? That would have solved a lot of their problems, no? 

Not on this show, because the story line would be that Nicole said she was willing to abide by them but isn't actually going to do it. 

Actually, that IS Danielle's story line.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Extremely amused by the bankrupt cougar wanting a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom with a veranda and pool luxury apartment and simultaneously declaring that she's nobody's Sugar Mama. Ma'am, you married a personal trainer with a startup butcher shop in the D.R. I guess she thinks she can bully and badger him into becoming a rich man. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SlutAssBitchAssHor said:

Extremely amused by the bankrupt cougar wanting a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom with a veranda and pool luxury apartment and simultaneously declaring that she's nobody's Sugar Mama. Ma'am, you married a personal trainer with a startup butcher shop in the D.R. I guess she thinks she can bully and badger him into becoming a rich man. 

Yeah if she wants to be kept she needs to be the eye candy for a 70-year-old.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I am looooving this season. I see some calling it boring? HOW? I know we're only 3 episodes in, but it feels great and not overly staged so far. We got someone to love in Gabe. Someone to side eye in Danielle. Our first real lesbian couple! (I think? Sorry, I do not count farts in a jar gal) Narcolepsy, berets, and bulge inserts.. Nicole? Is she a human? And Debbie?? I am here for this. REAL drama. Not boring.

Give this post a 👏🏾 if you hate Danielle. She’s checking out luxury apartments that she wants to live in and then asks what he can contribute and laughs at his contribution. Fuck this bankrupt bitch.

Man, if I was Yohan I would drop Danielle back off at the airport then drive to the resort area and pick a different woman. She’s the queen of passive aggressive low blows.

Nicole is so vapid. She converted to Muslim after 2 days then realized afterwards there was much more to it like praying 5x a day, covering herself, and eating a halal diet? Where have you been, Girl? Mars? Is she a poorly designed robot?

Debbie is cosplaying as a character Jennifer Coolidge would play. Not one in specific. It’s just a vibe.

Gabe's a nice guy but I feel we could've gotten over there by NOW.

Kris is definitely a drug user, buying prescription strength meds in Colombia like a pro. The narcolepsy is a cover.

• Like 4
  • Applause 8