Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Last Dance

• Start Topic

They had an entire hiatus to fix Katherine’s hair and yet didn’t?  What did Grace Park DO to the hair stylists on the show to merit such treatment?

Also, having a seven-month hiatus and Katherine *still* isn’t comfortable being open Re: Greta? As someone who has dated two closeted guys, it is *exhausting* to put up with.

Maggie and Katherine being completely mercenary when it comes to baby gifts was not as charming as the writers thought it was. 

The show could’ve at least mined some degree of dramatic tension with Rome and Gina knowing re: Gary’s diagnosis but not wanting to let the others know. (Cue Friends’: iconic “they don’t know that we know that they know!). Instead everyone is informed instantly and is immediately granted access to yet another hospital that doesn’t care about approving visitations.

Sophie’s getting verklempt at the fact that her father never bought her deodorant?  What the actual hell?  Can these characters manage to go a single day without being triggered by a common household object?   Sophie: *sees hat*. *literally cries at the drop of a hat*

James Roday Rodriguez and Romany Malco are very good actors.  I can criticize the writing, and I do, but this cast is pretty great across the board, especially now that certain people are perpetually stuck in France.

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

They had an entire hiatus to fix Katherine’s hair and yet didn’t?  What did Grace Park DO to the hair stylists on the show to merit such treatment?

Also, having a seven-month hiatus and Katherine *still* isn’t comfortable being open Re: Greta? As someone who has dated two closeted guys, it is *exhausting* to put up with.

Maggie and Katherine being completely mercenary when it comes to baby gifts was not as charming as the writers thought it was. 

The show could’ve at least mined some degree of dramatic tension with Rome and Gina knowing re: Gary’s diagnosis but not wanting to let the others know. (Cue Friends’: iconic “they don’t know that we know that they know!). Instead everyone is informed instantly and is immediately granted access to yet another hospital that doesn’t care about approving visitations.

Sophie’s getting verklempt at the fact that her father never bought her deodorant?  What the actual hell?  Can these characters manage to go a single day without being triggered by a common household object?   Sophie: *sees hat*. *literally cries at the drop of a hat*

James Roday Rodriguez and Romany Malco are very good actors.  I can criticize the writing, and I do, but this cast is pretty great across the board, especially now that certain people are perpetually stuck in France.

yeah, her hair is always distracting and does not fit her personality unless maybe she's trying to match Greta's strange dos.  and she would not have encouraged maggie to register all that expensive crap either.

my father never bought me deodorant either.  guess that explains all my lifelong problems.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

I’m really glad I’m not the only one who hated Katherine’s new hairdo. I only watch this show for Gary and Rome. “Maverick” is a total fakeout…that baby will be named Jon. I knew Javier was a goner when he was so jovial and caring during the chemo treatment scene. I didn’t mind this episode and as much as I like Danny and Sophie, I think they should get their happy endings and go away.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, her hair is always distracting and does not fit her personality unless maybe she's trying to match Greta's strange dos.  and she would not have encouraged maggie to register all that expensive crap either.

my father never bought me deodorant either.  guess that explains all my lifelong problems.  

My Dad did virtually all the grocery shopping, it was my mother who never bought deodorant for me.  I guess we were weird in other ways in that we all used the same stick of deodorant, we didn't each have our own personal supply.  With 3 adults and 5 kids all sharing a single bathroom, the medicine cabinet would've been pretty crowded otherwise.  This show focuses on the dumbest things.  I also don't understand why Delilah was unable to shop in the personal hygiene aisle because she and Jon weren't getting along.  Was he having an affair with a stock girl at the drug store and it was too painful?  Did she decide to forego personal hygiene in protest of the problems in her marriage?

With Sophie seemingly at loose ends, you'd think one of the adults in her life might suggest revisiting the Berklee School of Music option.  I actually have a friend who got his Master's there, and, guess what?  He played in a band the whole time he attended, he even performed with his group as part of his thesis.  imagine that, getting academic credits while playing in a band.  Too bad no one told Sophie about that.

Also, wasn't Delilah's house on the market at the end of last season. AKA 7 months ago per the show?  I know the market has cooled a little, but there is no way that house didn't get sold in that length of time.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

Also, wasn't Delilah's house on the market at the end of last season. AKA 7 months ago per the show?  I know the market has cooled a little, but there is no way that house didn't get sold in that length of time.

Delilah's house was on the market all last season. It is insane that it hasn't sold yet. Unless she is looking for too much money, but even then she should have at least gotten some offers for something. It is a beautiful house and it is a seller's market right now. Things go fast. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Delilah's house was on the market all last season. It is insane that it hasn't sold yet. Unless she is looking for too much money, but even then she should have at least gotten some offers for something. It is a beautiful house and it is a seller's market right now. Things go fast. 

Exactly.  And, if she really has it priced too high to sell, why is it still on the market?  Realtor contracts have an expiration and the odds that a new realtor would be willing to waste their time on an overpriced, stale property that another realtor couldn't unload is pretty small.

If a house doesn't sell in its initial listing period, the usual strategy is to remove it from the market for 6 months or so and try again.  Delilah seemingly is not strapped for cash, they'd lived in the house for a while before Jon died, he didn't leave her destitute, she must have significant equity.  If she really plans to remain in France and not return to live in Boston in the foreseeable future, why wouldn't she be open to negotiating a good price?

And, as you point out, the real estate market in Boston has been hot for a while and hasn't cooled off much even with rising interest rates.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2

They should have killed off Delilah instead of the one way ticket to France.  This way there  are two parent-less teenagers taking care of a million+  house and drifting.  Plus they are about to lose someone who has been a stand-in parent since their Dad died. 

4 hours ago, hoosiergirl said:

I didn’t mind this episode and as much as I like Danny and Sophie, I think they should get their happy endings and go away.  

I too hope for a happy ending for Sophie and Danny but I have no idea what it would look like. 

• Like 1

I can’t remember if they’ve ever have mentioned Delilah actually *working* in France, but even so, her expenses include rent in France (that famously budget-friendly city), a mortgage in Boston for a house that still hasn’t sold for some reason and living expenses for both herself and care for her ailing father, and footing the entire bill for two practically grown children as well as the partial bill for Charlie.  

That is s crap-ton of money to spend while relying solely on a dead guy’s money.

My deodorant trauma is that I could only wear one specific type of deodorant because my mother was overly sensitive to smells.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Notabug said:

I also don't understand why Delilah was unable to shop in the personal hygiene aisle because she and Jon weren't getting along.  Was he having an affair with a stock girl at the drug store and it was too painful?  Did she decide to forego personal hygiene in protest of the problems in her marriage?

I laughed out loud.

Of course, she is from France, that may have something to do with it. I kid, I'm sure that mean stereotype isn't typical. It's based on a experience I had on a train ride to Paris (1998). We couldn't get non-smoker tickets, and I was getting a little green from the cigarette a guy across from us was smoking. He was actually very kind, and put it out. Once the smoke cleared, and his body odor wafted my way, I was almost sorry he'd put out the cigarette. But at least BO doesn't make me sick to my stomach.

• LOL 2
On 2/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, Sandman said:

<snip>

I liked David Marshall Grant as Gene, but I didn’t believe he was old enough (DMG is 67) to have been involved with someone who served in Viet Nam. I thought the scene in Gene’s house was pretty well handled, though, especially by James Roday Rodriguez.

<snip>

I was confused by this entire scenario. Can someone explain it to me?

44 minutes ago, Rebky said:

I was confused by this entire scenario. Can someone explain it to me?

If I recall correctly, Gene was in love with Sean's Dad's brother - who died in Vietnam. I'm a little fuzzy on whether Gene and Sean's father met. But when Javier's love and lack of judgment about his brother (which might have only been after the brother's death) and Gene helped Danny when he was starting to come out.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:40 AM, Sandman said:

I liked David Marshall Grant as Gene, but I didn’t believe he was old enough (DMG is 67) to have been involved with someone who served in Viet Nam.

A very young man, on the tail end of the war. I don't remember if they ever got into how old they were, or anything that would tell us the dates, but the war ended in 75. If he was 18 in 74-75, then the actor and character are about the same age

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

My mom never bought me deoderent  I'm not sure if my sisters learned about personal hygeine from their friend group or what but she never told me about things like that.  I had to learn on the streets... or in the gym locker room.  And then when I did ask her she was like, "oh....."  And my brothers?!?!?!?  I don't remember them being funky.... so I guess somebody talked to them?

I don't know that I consider shoplifting a right of passage that should be encouraged but I think most people I know have a story.  I took a pack of lifesavers when I was a kid..  My mom caught me when I was trying to open them in the parking lot.  My mom made me take them back.   It was humiliating.   The shop clerk was like no big deal and I thought my mom might murder her but that was my last shopliting experience and I think a lot of people have stories like that.  Or at least I've heard a lot of stories in that vein.   

My mm died in 2021 of cancer and while her scans could all be read online they never released them online until she'd had her appointments but she usually had her scans and her appointments either on the same day or the next day so it wasn't weeks of waiting... well once she was in treatment.   We got her biopsy at a different place and they released her results online and I read them and got to go tell her that she had caner.   Fun times.   The office meant to call too... but didn't get around to it or called an old number or something....   But once she had her initial results in person we saw everything online so she had a couple of things that were stable and being watched outside of her primary cancer (and remained stable until she died) and I always read those results before we saw the doctor about them.   

We never took scads of people not even to her initial diagnosis and in Texas not all hospitals or offices are requiring masks and I went to visit a friend during a particularly covidy time and they didn't even have masks at the hospital for visitors.  Most places have them as optional.  Some places require them  But some places don't require them and don't offer them which I think is madness.   

Delilah couldn't come home for the funeral which I get... but she sent Danny home for the funeral.   LOL.   

I like Danny and Gary together in general and I don't mind having him around even if it doesn't make much sense.   

I wish they hadn't killed Gary's dad, though and I am really, really, really not here for the plot with Rome's dad.   Especially not with Gary's metastatic breast cancer.   

• Like 6
On 2/12/2023 at 12:36 PM, Clanstarling said:

If I recall correctly, Gene was in love with Sean's Dad's brother - who died in Vietnam. I'm a little fuzzy on whether Gene and Sean's father met. But when Javier's love and lack of judgment about his brother (which might have only been after the brother's death) and Gene helped Danny when he was starting to come out.

You mean Gary's dad, right? I don't think Gene was in love with his brother, I think he was in love with someone Javier was in the army with. Then he died and on his deathbed confessed he was gay or something. The story helped Danny come out, but I don't remember why Gary was taking him the picture. I guess just to tell him the other guy was always thinking about him.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:08 PM, bybrandy said:

Delilah couldn't come home for the funeral which I get... but she sent Danny home for the funeral.   LOL. 

I didn't even remember that Danny was living in France with her. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

You mean Gary's dad, right? I don't think Gene was in love with his brother, I think he was in love with someone Javier was in the army with. Then he died and on his deathbed confessed he was gay or something. The story helped Danny come out, but I don't remember why Gary was taking him the picture. I guess just to tell him the other guy was always thinking about him.

That sounds right.

• Like 1

Add me to the chorus of everyone praising JRR’s performance in that scene at the table. I’ve been a fan of his for a while because of Psych, and he was the reason I started watching this show in the first place. He didn’t get a lot of opportunities for really dramatic scenes on Psych so it’s been nice seeing him stretch his acting chops here. 

I agree with most of the criticism I see here…the “codependent weirdo” friend group (lol!), the failure of the show to live up to its full potential, and the nagging little plot points like how the heck does Delilah still have that big old house? But despite that, I am glad I gave the show a chance so I could discover how wonderful Romany Malco, David Giuntoli and Christina Moses are. I wasn’t familiar with them before but I think they really shine here and I hope they move on to some other good projects after this.

I suspect Delilah will make an appearance before the show ends. I saw a thing on Instagram where the actors were talking about the show (it was right before this season started) and she was included. 

• Like 5

You mean Gary's dad, right?

I still catch myself thinking of James Roday Rodriguez' character on this show as Shawn, too.  I guess I'm just another Psych-o.

Of course we all know Shawn's father is Corbin Bernsen.

• LOL 5
On 2/9/2023 at 8:05 AM, nexxie said:

Not interested in this grim vision plus shitty writing.
A million little cuts to a show that once had potential.

I stopped watching halfway through last season and am here to decide if it's worthwhile to return for the end. Thanks so much - I'm out.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

Came here specifically to see if someone else thought this 🤓

I'd like to know if there is anyone anywhere who thinks it is a good haircut.  The actress is so pretty, her hair is a crime against humanity.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
On 2/10/2023 at 2:30 AM, Frisky Wig said:

I can’t imagine registering for gifts you don’t want just so you can return them and buy things you DO want. Who wants to return gifts and shop again when you’re extremely pregnant or have a newborn at home? 

Seriously. Why not just register for the gifts she actually wants in the first place? 

• Like 5
On 2/10/2023 at 1:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

Tallulah or Maverick? No offense to anyone who has those names, but Gary and Maggie should not be allowed to name kids, you know every name is going to be either a stupid comedy bit or something sappy as shit. I will put money on that baby being called Jon. Honestly, what kind of grown ass man shoplifts because a kid dared him to? I guess a guy having a kid with a woman who registers for expensive baby presents just so she can sell them later. What is even the fuck, just ask people for stuff you want! Why make your friends think they are giving you something nice for you baby when you plan on just selling it later after she's milked you for more money? These people SUCK.

And the way these guys live in each other's pockets, I'm pretty sure they'd notice the expensive gifts they bought aren't in evidence.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:58 AM, Notabug said:

With Sophie seemingly at loose ends, you'd think one of the adults in her life might suggest revisiting the Berklee School of Music option.  I actually have a friend who got his Master's there, and, guess what?  He played in a band the whole time he attended, he even performed with his group as part of his thesis.  imagine that, getting academic credits while playing in a band.  Too bad no one told Sophie about that.

Not to mention how many people manage to be a parent and hold down a job while attending college.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Seriously. Why not just register for the gifts she actually wants in the first place? 

Well, part of the problem was that Maggie was doing her baby registry without having done any thinking or research into what she might need or which products were best for her and her kid.  So, Katherine told her to just register for the most expensive version of everything, including stuff she wasn't sure she needed so that, eventually, sometime, maybe, when Maggie and/or Gary got around to figuring out what they actually needed, they could return the stuff they didn't need for a premium price and buy the brand or item they wanted instead, and maybe have money left over.

I'm not a brilliant lawyer like Katherine, so maybe I am totally off track, but I think most expectant parents just request Amazon or Target gift cards when they're not sure what they might need.  They also know that there are a zillion different baby monitors on the market for a reason and, in many cases, one brand is just as good as another and there's no need to focus in on just one acceptable device.

• Like 2
On 2/11/2023 at 10:58 AM, Notabug said:

I also don't understand why Delilah was unable to shop in the personal hygiene aisle because she and Jon weren't getting along.  Was he having an affair with a stock girl at the drug store and it was too painful?  Did she decide to forego personal hygiene in protest of the problems in her marriage?

Well, Delilah is French, just sayin'

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Well, part of the problem was that Maggie was doing her baby registry without having done any thinking or research into what she might need or which products were best for her and her kid.  So, Katherine told her to just register for the most expensive version of everything, including stuff she wasn't sure she needed so that, eventually, sometime, maybe, when Maggie and/or Gary got around to figuring out what they actually needed, they could return the stuff they didn't need for a premium price and buy the brand or item they wanted instead, and maybe have money left over.

I'm not a brilliant lawyer like Katherine, so maybe I am totally off track, but I think most expectant parents just request Amazon or Target gift cards when they're not sure what they might need.  They also know that there are a zillion different baby monitors on the market for a reason and, in many cases, one brand is just as good as another and there's no need to focus in on just one acceptable device.

ok, so who is supposed to be buying these expensive gifts for her? none of the cast seems to have much money and do we think she has any friends outside this tight little group?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, cinsays said:

ok, so who is supposed to be buying these expensive gifts for her? none of the cast seems to have much money and do we think she has any friends outside this tight little group?

Despite none of the main cast seemingly having high paying jobs, they all seem to be living in pretty nice places, especially for the Boston area, where prices are notoriously high.

Rome and Regina look to be in some sort of high rise condo in a very modern building with at least 2 bedrooms since they had the foster kid living there. Not sure where it is supposed to be, but the city skyline is the view from  their windows.  Even in a so-so neighborhood, that runs $500,000 or better

Even if he doesn't own it, Gary's apartment seems centrally located and has quite a bit of space.

No way Delilah's house, the one she cannot seem to sell, isn't worth at least a million dollars, probably more.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Money aside, it doesn't seem like you'd need to register for a handful of friends - much less rip them off. Where are the dupes they're expecting to pay big money for baby things you don't need and will exchange for cheaper stuff and get cash back?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Despite none of the main cast seemingly having high paying jobs, they all seem to be living in pretty nice places, especially for the Boston area, where prices are notoriously high.

Rome and Regina look to be in some sort of high rise condo in a very modern building with at least 2 bedrooms since they had the foster kid living there. Not sure where it is supposed to be, but the city skyline is the view from  their windows.  Even in a so-so neighborhood, that runs $500,000 or better

Even if he doesn't own it, Gary's apartment seems centrally located and has quite a bit of space.

No way Delilah's house, the one she cannot seem to sell, isn't worth at least a million dollars, probably more.

I work in real estate in Boston.  Delilah's house is supposed to be in Brookline or Newton.  Would easily sell today for $2.5-3 million.  Rome's apartment would be worth at least a million anywhere in downtown Boston.  He's a teacher and she owns a food truck and had a restaurant that failed.  Makes no sense.  And how does Eddie afford a Boston apartment on his own while being an Uber driver?  Or dies Gary somehow pay for that apartment while living with Maggie in her also way too expensive industrial style apartment?  

Gary has a good actor playing him but he has no moral compass whatsoever.  He beat a man practically to death.  And then Eddie starts dating the wife of the man that molested Sophie and that Gary almost beat to death.  Would that not bother Sophie, even just a little bit (but probably actually a whole lot?).   This woman was married to this disgusting man who did something terrible to her.  And Eddies best friend almost killed him.  Seems like a strange choice out of all the women in Boston.  I'm just glad she's off the show. 

• Like 3
On 2/12/2023 at 12:59 PM, circumvent said:

A very young man, on the tail end of the war. I don't remember if they ever got into how old they were, or anything that would tell us the dates, but the war ended in 75. If he was 18 in 74-75, then the actor and character are about the same age

I was thinking more of the earlier years of the war, I guess. But this works. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cinsays said:

Maggie does have parents and maybe extended family who would want to be her gifts? Her brother died so this baby will be the first grandchild.

But who waits until they are 7 months pregnant to register or even start thinking about what they need?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Maggie does have parents and maybe extended family who would want to be her gifts? Her brother died so this baby will be the first grandchild.

But who waits until they are 7 months pregnant to register or even start thinking about what they need?

Only people on this show.  Also, they are living at Gary's place, are they not?  As I recall, when Eddie was staying there, he slept on the couch which means it is only a 1 bedroom.  While that might be ok for the immediate future,  anyone expecting a kid who has a 1 bedroom place needs to start figuring out how to fit a baby into that space long before the kid comes along.  It would also limit the amount of furniture and baby paraphernalia they need.  Maggie and Gary need to get in gear and figure some stuff out.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Notabug said:

Only people on this show.  Also, they are living at Gary's place, are they not?  As I recall, when Eddie was staying there, he slept on the couch which means it is only a 1 bedroom.  While that might be ok for the immediate future,  anyone expecting a kid who has a 1 bedroom place needs to start figuring out how to fit a baby into that space long before the kid comes along.  It would also limit the amount of furniture and baby paraphernalia they need.  Maggie and Gary need to get in gear and figure some stuff out.

I think they moved into Maggie's place, because now Eddie lives in Gary's condo. It's not clear if he's paying rent or not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2