Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Jewel of the North

• Start Topic

By any chance, is the actress playing Miss Scarlet going to have a baby?  Her coats and apron last night put the question in my head.

But as for the plot, I’m still not sure who sent the bombs: the executive or the boxer?  But I liked the booby-trap action and 3/1 wire tension.

• Like 1

I'm all for changing the name of the show to Miss Scarlet and the Duke AND Nash AND Moses AND Fitzroy. They all work so well together. Glad Arabella is (hopefully) gone, but I wish she was more definitively gone (like to another country, or jail, or something like that). I've enjoyed this season, and it's nice that they've left some storylines to pick up in Season Four. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

I'm all for changing the name of the show to Miss Scarlet and the Duke AND Nash AND Moses AND Fitzroy. They all work so well together. Glad Arabella is (hopefully) gone, but I wish she was more definitively gone (like to another country, or jail, or something like that). I've enjoyed this season, and it's nice that they've left some storylines to pick up in Season Four. 

They were really a pleasure to watch all working together. 

• Like 11

Yes, the 5 of them made quite the formidable team! And no Phelps to contend with. Great end of season episode. Let’s hope Hanson never got off any inquiries to Jamaica! 

5 hours ago, nora1992 said:

By any chance, is the actress playing Miss Scarlet going to have a baby?  Her coats and apron last night put the question in my head.

But as for the plot, I’m still not sure who sent the bombs: the executive or the boxer?  But I liked the booby-trap action and 3/1 wire tension.

The RR executive made them, but he probably had Fenton deliver them. Stupid really, did he really think sending those to investigators would scare them off! Like waving feathers in front of cats!

• Like 6

I really liked this episode, which got all of the major characters (except Ivy) involved in solving the main mystery.

The big railroad exec (who served in the army with Jack Fenton) and Fenton (who's the former convict and brother-in-law of the bank exec) pulled off the train robbery - the exec funded and organized the heist, while Fenton was one of the robbers. They then sent the fake bombs to misdirect the investigators (both Scotland Yard and private). But according to the railroad exec, only Fenton set up the real bomb in his room.

Lots of Eliza/William stuff - the fake engagement ring shopping, Eliza refusing to leave William with the real bomb and defusing it, William still wanting to have their monthly lunches, and Arabella's two scenes with William which were really about Eliza.

Even when Arabella breaks things off with William, she tries to poison his relationship with Eliza by telling him that Eliza's ambition will always come first, even before her feelings for him. Or maybe that's what Arabella really believes.

I'm not sure Arabella is right. I think that Eliza just wants to do what she's interested in and good at. She is very good at detective work and she wants to build up her business. (If she were a man, this "ambition" would be praised.) She is not so good at what was then expected women's work, like cooking. She is probably afraid that if she lets herself get romantically involved with William, it will lead to marriage and then she'll be expected to give up her investigative job and stay at home. William still has a vision of the future that he wants and thought he might get with Arabella, even though he's clearly not in love with Arabella. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 7
13 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I really liked this episode, which got all of the major characters (except Ivy) involved in solving the main mystery.

The railroad exec (who served in the army with Jack Fenton) and Fenton (who's the former convict and brother-in-law of the bank exec) pulled off the train robbery - the exec funded and organized the heist, while Fenton was one of the robbers. They then sent the fake bombs to misdirect the investigators (both Scotland Yard and private). But according to the railroad exec, only Fenton set up the real bomb in his room.

Lots of Eliza/William stuff - the fake engagement ring shopping, Eliza refusing to leave William with the real bomb and defusing it, William still wanting to have their monthly lunches, and Arabella's two scenes with William which were really about Eliza.

Even when Arabella breaks things off with William, she tries to poison his relationship with Eliza by telling him that Eliza's ambition will always come first, even before her feelings for him. Or maybe that's what Arabella really believes.

I'm not sure Arabella is right. I think that Eliza just wants to do what she's interested in and good at. She is very good at detective work and she wants to build up her business. (If she were a man, this "ambition" would be praised.) She is not so good at what was then expected women's work, like cooking. She is probably afraid that if she lets herself get romantically involved with William, it will lead to marriage and then she'll be expected to give up her investigative job and stay at home. William still has a vision of the future that he wants and thought he might get with Arabella, even though he's clearly not in love with Arabella.

The Eliza/William scenes felt better than in the past, its hard to describe but he seemed to respect her knowledge and not look at her as a nuisance. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, tv echo said:

This made the episode a kind of bittersweet ending to the season for me.  I loved the group working together and the end (we hope) of Arabella, but her assessment of Eliza seemed spot on and made me worry that she and William will never get together.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

This made the episode a kind of bittersweet ending to the season for me.  I loved the group working together and the end (we hope) of Arabella, but her assessment of Eliza seemed spot on and made me worry that she and William will never get together.

I think Arabella was twisting the knife and making sure William doesn't pursue something with Eliza because she is still a bully. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I think Arabella was twisting the knife and making sure William doesn't pursue something with Eliza because she is still a bully. 

But the only reason William was pursuing anything with Arabella is because he reached the same conclusion.  I saw this season in Dec. so I don't remember the specifics but there was something  Eliza said in the first episode that he interpreted as her shutting down the possibility of them getting together.  I think it's something about having/not having a family.  She answered in general and not specific to them but you could see by the look in his eyes that he felt deflated by her response. 

And I do think we have to define what Arabella, William and Eliza mean by "putting him first."  Because I do think William, as presented, would not want his wife to work.  He would want her to take care of the house and family. It's presented as a negative but I'd argue he's also not ready to put her needs first either because she clearly wants to work. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

But the only reason William was pursuing anything with Arabella is because he reached the same conclusion.  I saw this season in Dec. so I don't remember the specifics but there was something  Eliza said in the first episode that he interpreted as her shutting down the possibility of them getting together.  I think it's something about having/not having a family.  She answered in general and not specific to them but you could see by the look in his eyes that he felt deflated by her response. 

And I do think we have to define what Arabella, William and Eliza mean by "putting him first."  Because I do think William, as presented, would not want his wife to work.  He would want her to take care of the house and family. It's presented as a negative but I'd argue he's also not ready to put her needs first either because she clearly wants to work. 

I don't think Arabella did this out of the kindness of her heart but maybe I'm wrong. Yes, he pursued her because this is the type of woman he wants, but then he spends the whole time talking about Eliza. Arabella is pretty miffed and if she can't be happy, then neither one of them will be. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think Arabella was twisting the knife

Speaking of 'twisting the knife', but in a humorous way, Eliza certainly made William squirm in the jeweler's shop with her impromptu "Tell him how you proposed, darling".  I think she was genuinely surprised at his eloquence, by the look in her eyes.

More proof that people underestimate Eliza:  The railroad executive denies even knowing Fenton, but Eliza just breezily says "Oh really, because he's your brother in law."  That was so cutting.  She does her homework, that Eliza.  

And finally, "Where did you find the key" (Fitzroy)  "Under the whiskey bottle, of course". (William)

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
10 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Speaking of 'twisting the knife', but in a humorous way, Eliza certainly made William squirm in the jeweler's shop with her impromptu "Tell him how you proposed, darling".  I think she was genuinely surprised at his eloquence, by the look in her eyes.

More proof that people underestimate Eliza:  The railroad executive denies even knowing Fenton, but Eliza just breezily says "Oh really, because he's your brother in law."  That was so cutting.  She does her homework, that Eliza.  

And finally, "Where did you find the key" (Fitzroy)  "Under the whiskey bottle, of course". (William)

Eliza was very much on the money last night. 

• Like 5

I very much enjoyed seeing them all working together.  I think there are competing interests going forward however.  Eliza likes the idea of being independent and having her own investigations office.  But I think it'd be great if she accepted Nash's offer.  She's still in charge, but now she has more resources to tackle bigger cases.  And doesn't constantly have to worry about money.

I would love it if next season she is with Nash.  I'd like to see him come back occasionally from Paris and work with her.  And she can continue to work with Moses and William.  I was expecting her to ask for the agency name to be "Nash and Scarlet".

I am glad that Arabella is gone.  It turns out that she did indeed want William for William, and not, as many had said, solely because she was trying to stick it to Eliza and take away Eliza's man.  If she had really just wanted to hurt Eliza, well, she was already doing that.  She had won William, William clearly wanted to be with her.  But I guess even knowing that she was with him wasn't enough, since he was constantly talking about Eliza.

I agree that I wish she was gone more permanently, like moving to France or America to open a restaurant.

• Like 3

That was a lovely season ending. Everyone working together was great! and I love the set-up for next season! Cuz you just know Eliza is going to take Nash up on his offer -- how can she refuse? She gets her own office and 20 men working for her!

Eliza and William were simply adorable the entire ep! It gave me a glimpse of how their future could be. They can be the unconventional Victorian couple! BOTH working at their own private detective agency!!! Win Win for all of us!

The fake proposal made me LOL. "Tell him how you proposed, Darling!" Haha! But that whole scene just turned so hot when William's "fake" proposal kind of became real.

At the beginning of the season William still had an idea in his mind of Eliza eventually settling down and wanting to become the conventual wife and mother. He gave up on the idea when she basically poo-pooed the whole notion. So William started dating (stepping out with) Arabella. But of course the entire time he is with Arabella he is talking about and thinking about Eliza - to the point that even Arabella could not ignore the fact that clearly William is in love with Eliza.

I think what Arabella said to William was a portent of how things will have to be -- What I mean is that William is going to have to adjust his mindset about what he wants from a relationship. This episode seemed to show (to me!) that he basically finds Eliza fascinating. I am hoping next season they grow even closer.

I am just going to say once again -- I love me some Moses Valentine! 

• Like 7

There were two things about Eliza and Nash's relationship  that I liked from this episode

1 -Nash running up (he must have healed quickly from his gunshot wounds) to tell Eliza about the bomb.  He was smart enough to realize she would get one, just like he did.

2 - Without saying anything, helping her to put her office back together (and chatting while they worked) after the annoying policemen tore it apart.

The Eliza/William scenes felt better than in the past, its hard to describe but he seemed to respect her knowledge and not look at her as a nuisance. 

They were better, although they both seem to realize they are at an impasse in their relationship as it stands.   All of the will they won't they, although titillating at first, gets frustrating and old quickly. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't think Arabella did this out of the kindness of her heart but maybe I'm wrong. Yes, he pursued her because this is the type of woman he wants, but then he spends the whole time talking about Eliza. Arabella is pretty miffed and if she can't be happy, then neither one of them will be. 

I didn't say she did it out of the kindness of her heart but that doesn't make her a bully. She wasn't a criminal.  And she might have been a bully to Eliza as a child but I don't think, as an adult, getting one over on Eliza was even a thought.  She was just a woman who liked a man who wanted the same things in life as she did but who clearly was in love with/distracted by another woman...a woman she could clearly see was not going to ever give him what he claimed he wanted in life. She was jealous and miffed but I don't think saying something true is poisoning William's mind. If so, his mind is pretty weak.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I didn't say she did it out of the kindness of her heart but that doesn't make her a bully. She wasn't a criminal.  And she might have been a bully to Eliza as a child but I don't think, as an adult, getting one over on Eliza was even a thought.  She was just a woman who liked a man who wanted the same things in life as she did but who clearly was in love with/distracted by another woman...a woman she could clearly see was not going to ever give him what he claimed he wanted in life. She was jealous and miffed but I don't think saying something true is poisoning William's mind. If so, his mind is pretty weak.  

I guess... but when she swooped in William's office with all those cakes, it felt to me like she was shoving Eliza out the door and saying "don't let it hit your a-- on the way out". 

But hopefully, she is now gone. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I guess... but when she swooped in William's office with all those cakes, it felt to me like she was shoving Eliza out the door and saying "don't let it hit your a-- on the way out". 

I agree that's the way the scene was set up.  But both Eliza and William made it clear they weren't a couple.  It was really after she spent time with William that she realized that there were feelings there. And the cake incident was just coincidental timing.  

I do think she's gone.  Unlike Nash, she doesn't bring anything else to the table other than being a love interest obstacle.  

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I agree that's the way the scene was set up.  But both Eliza and William made it clear they weren't a couple.  It was really after she spent time with William that she realized that there were feelings there. And the cake incident was just coincidental timing.  

I do think she's gone.  Unlike Nash, she doesn't bring anything else to the table other than being a love interest obstacle.  

Nash has been a part of this season and he and Eliza are fun to watch together.

• Like 6

Enjoyable episode and like the rest of you, I loved how everybody worked together.   I also love the idea of Eliza working for Nash as the head of the main agency.  And good for Nash for offering her the job and realizing how good a detective she is.   Honestly, I'd rather see Eliza end up with Nash, because as swoony as William is,  she would not ultimately be happy with him if he insisted that she live her life as a conventional Victorian wife and mother.    My guess is that if the show continues, we will be seeing William changing how he looks at Eliza and grow to accept her for who she is and make his peace  to where if he wants HER, he is going to get the whole package and on her terms.   

• Like 9
56 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Enjoyable episode and like the rest of you, I loved how everybody worked together.   I also love the idea of Eliza working for Nash as the head of the main agency.  And good for Nash for offering her the job and realizing how good a detective she is.   Honestly, I'd rather see Eliza end up with Nash, because as swoony as William is,  she would not ultimately be happy with him if he insisted that she live her life as a conventional Victorian wife and mother.    My guess is that if the show continues, we will be seeing William changing how he looks at Eliza and grow to accept her for who she is and make his peace  to where if he wants HER, he is going to get the whole package and on her terms.   

That is exactly how I see it and how I hope it all plays out.

Arabella said something like ---  for what William wants right now-- Eliza will not be able to give it to him because her ambitions will always come first.

I thought I saw the first inkling of William seeing the possibilities of a future with Eliza after working with her.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, taanja said:

That is exactly how I see it and how I hope it all plays out.

Arabella said something like ---  for what William wants right now-- Eliza will not be able to give it to him because her ambitions will always come first.

I thought I saw the first inkling of William seeing the possibilities of a future with Eliza after working with her.

That is why I said that for me, this was the first episode that he didn't seem exasperated with her and saw her with new eyes. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

That is why I said that for me, this was the first episode that he didn't seem exasperated with her and saw her with new eyes. 

I must admit in the earlier seasons --  I kind of liked the dynamic between William and Eliza. Especially right after her fatter died and William would lock Eliza in jail for some small infraction. I mean -- some of that was cute and funny. IMO. he had all the hand at first but as time goes by ... Eliza is quickly becoming William's equal. She may even surpass him as time goes by. She is brilliant after all!

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, taanja said:

I must admit in the earlier seasons --  I kind of liked the dynamic between William and Eliza. Especially right after her fatter died and William would lock Eliza in jail for some small infraction. I mean -- some of that was cute and funny. IMO. he had all the hand at first but as time goes by ... Eliza is quickly becoming William's equal. She may even surpass him as time goes by. She is brilliant after all!

Those were funny moments. I don't think he really took her seriously either. I saw the part with the bomb as a turning point. He saw just how determined and serious she is about what she does. He wanted her to get out of there because he is the "man" and it is his job to take the risk, but she didn't leave him AND she saved him. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Those were funny moments. I don't think he really took her seriously either. I saw the part with the bomb as a turning point. He saw just how determined and serious she is about what she does. He wanted her to get out of there because he is the "man" and it is his job to take the risk, but she didn't leave him AND she saved him. 

I LOVED that scene of her sticking her head between William's arm and leg to get a better look at the wires in the bomb. I replayed it a couple times!  Also when he says - get out! and she says NO! 

haha!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I disagree: Arabella had absolutely no way of knowing Eliza was was going to show up with a cake at that day. It was just a very unhappy coincidence. That said, seeing Eliza so crestfallen & deflated was heartbreaking. 

Edited by 4merBachAddict
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I 100% agree with everything you said!! In spite of Eliza's past with Arabella - when she(Arabella) WAS a bully! - I don't think that she is the 'villain' now. She explained her behavior as a girl: she was envious of Eliza's loving relationship with her father. It doesn't excuse it- but let's not forget E's admission to Ivy that she often instigated things. I do think Arabella believed E & W's relationship was just friendship/business - at least in the beginning. As she got to spend more time with W & Eliza's name kept coming up, maybe she suspected otherwise. I believe that was what the 'tea' incident was all about - Arabella trying to gauge for herself what the truth was - even if E & W can't/don't see it. And I see her last scene the same as you: a woman who is hurt - but trying to keep her dignity as she ends a relationship with a man she has come to care for. Don't get me wrong - I am TOTALLY on board with Eliza & William as the 'end game' ! I'm just not sure how that will be achieved while being true to the  characters we know.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

I disagree: Arabella had absolutely no way of knowing Eliza was was going to show up with a cake at that day. It was just a very unhappy coincidence. That said, seeing Eliza so crestfallen & deflated was heartbreaking. 

True she didn't but she certainly didn't but I still felt that she "shoved" Eliza out the door. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

True she didn't but she certainly didn't but I still felt that she "shoved" Eliza out the door. 

I think that scene was meant to tug on the audience's heartstrings.

What I noticed - Arabella doesn't actually cook any of the meals and or cakes/deserts presented on the show. She has a chef at the restaurant (both times William was late it was mentioned they were planning to eat at a restaurant) When Arabella specifically mentioned the veal blah blah blah and William said he had never heard of it but it sounded delicious) -- she said her COOK had prepared it.

Eliza should just do the same thing!  Present Ivy's cooking as her own

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

And then William falls in love with Ivy, leaving both Eliza and Arabella fuming and plotting their revenge together.  :)

At least he'd eat well since neither of the other two can cook.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

What a fun episode, I loved seeing so much of the cast working a case together, they all work surprisingly well as a team. I love the idea of Eliza working with Nash as the head of the agency, that sounds like its going to be a great way to shake things up. I really like Nash and how much he respects Eliza's abilities, even if I don't think that they will end up together. I would prefer if they stayed respected friends and colleagues instead of getting sucked into some kind of love square.  

Lots of Eliza and William content in this one, I think I can better see a version of them that could work once William comes to really understand her. He always thought he wanted a classic Victorian wife but I think he's going to realize that he loves Eliza for who she is. The two of them "ring shopping" was adorable, you cant go wrong with that kind of chemistry. "Tell them how you proposed. Darling." 

Bye bye Arabella! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• Like 8
On 2/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, taanja said:

What I noticed - Arabella doesn't actually cook any of the meals and or cakes/deserts presented on the show. She has a chef at the restaurant (both times William was late it was mentioned they were planning to eat at a restaurant) When Arabella specifically mentioned the veal blah blah blah and William said he had never heard of it but it sounded delicious) -- she said her COOK had prepared it.

Eliza should just do the same thing!  Present Ivy's cooking as her own

I don't think Eliza should lie, but there's no reason that Ivy couldn't keep working for her if Eliza and William were to marry. Or if Ivy didn't want to, they could probably afford to hire someone else if Eliza was working. Arabella seems more upperclass, which is why she has a chef, but Arabella also works, which William doesn't seem to have an issue with. I think his main issue with Eliza is that her work interferes with his work, and she also runs around London and gets herself into unladylike scenarios. I think he's finally starting to accept her profession though, and even admires her skills. I'm hoping Arabella's advice to William about how Eliza will never choose him over her career makes him finally realize that he needs to accept her for how she is, if he wants to be with her.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Arabella seems more upperclass, which is why she has a chef, but Arabella also works, which William doesn't seem to have an issue with.

I took it to mean that the chef at her restaurant prepared the meal.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

Oh, that could be, but she probably also has a cook and at least one maid.

When she mentioned the chef at the restaurant she specifically said CHEF and when she mentioned the cook at home -- she specifically said COOK.

So I took that to mean they are two separate people.

2 hours ago, taanja said:

When she mentioned the chef at the restaurant she specifically said CHEF and when she mentioned the cook at home -- she specifically said COOK.

So I took that to mean they are two separate people.

That makes sense. I should have said cook in my post. My point was just that there’s no reason that Eliza and William couldn’t also have a cook/maid (which Eliza already has) so that Eliza could continue working, instead of having to care for the household all by herself. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

That makes sense. I should have said cook in my post. My point was just that there’s no reason that Eliza and William couldn’t also have a cook/maid (which Eliza already has) so that Eliza could continue working, instead of having to care for the household all by herself. 

Right! That was the norm for many people. They had a cook. Maybe a housekeeper or maid. A nanny for sure if there were children. There is no reason why Eliza and William couldn't have help around the house so Eliza could continue her carrel. I know! In Victorian England (and elsewhere) that would be completely unconventional But haven't the characters been quoted as being unconventional?

• Like 3

I'm glad y'all mentioned this about the housekeeper or maid thing.  It's driven me crazy that the "Oh, no she can't cook!" is even a thing.  I mean, seriously. In that day and age and location everyone of any means had some domestic help.  It seems like the writers are going in the wrong direction with that bit.

I could see William maybe wanting his wife to be safe, though, and when this show started I felt like that was the big thing with him. He didn't like Eliza putting herself in danger so heedlessly.  She seems to have no thought for how dangerous her situation is most of the time.  I like that Moses has fussed at her about that instead of William, lately, but we saw it with the bomb. He wanted her to leave - not because he didn't think her capable, but because he loves her and doesn't want her in danger. 

I really hope the writers figure this out for next season. I'd love for William and Eliza to work together, have their romance, and keep the show going. There's no reason for the "will they or won't they" trope to stay a thing. I always think of how much I enjoyed Hart to Hart and they were married.  The show was fun and interesting and I loved that they loved each other and showed it.  Here's hoping they'll let these two get together like that.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I'm glad y'all mentioned this about the housekeeper or maid thing.  It's driven me crazy that the "Oh, no she can't cook!" is even a thing.  I mean, seriously. In that day and age and location everyone of any means had some domestic help.  It seems like the writers are going in the wrong direction with that bit.

Except that we know that Eliza is short on money at this point. Now if she and William get together that would be a different situation since he has a steady income.

And wasn't Arabella bankrupt or having issues with the restaurant costs?  Isn't that why she had to do the swap for fake jewels?  How much help could she afford to have?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Except that we know that Eliza is short on money at this point. Now if she and William get together that would be a different situation since he has a steady income.

And wasn't Arabella bankrupt or having issues with the restaurant costs?  Isn't that why she had to do the swap for fake jewels?  How much help could she afford to have?

It looks like she (Arabella) lives with her mother (that was the same room we saw when her mother was in the initial scene with Eliza) Her mother is the one with the money. Remember her mother would NOT lend her money for her restaurant. Her mother also bad-mouthed the deceased husband.

Conclusion -- the beautifully decorated drawing room and the Cook -- belong to Arabella's wealthy mother.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

But we also know that Eliza's income currently (even at its lowest point) has allowed her to have a live-in housekeeper/cook without any problems.  She's the one footing the bills at home, right?  As far as I know Ivy has no other outside job.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

But we also know that Eliza's income currently (even at its lowest point) has allowed her to have a live-in housekeeper/cook without any problems.  She's the one footing the bills at home, right?  As far as I know Ivy has no other outside job.

I thought Ivy said at one point that she has known Eliza since Eliza was a child?  I always thought Ivy was the Scarlet family's cook/housekeeper/nanny.  I know Eliza always acts like she is broke, but it seems that Henry owned the house and the office and didn't have to pay rent.  Thus Eliza just needs money for living expenses.  Maybe Ivy doesn't earn a living wage, but the room and board is part of her arrangement, and Eliza just gives her a little extra for spending money?  Ivy would probably work for free, she seems to think of Eliza as a daughter of sorts.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought Ivy said at one point that she has known Eliza since Eliza was a child?  I always thought Ivy was the Scarlet family's cook/housekeeper/nanny.  I know Eliza always acts like she is broke, but it seems that Henry owned the house and the office and didn't have to pay rent.  Thus Eliza just needs money for living expenses.  Maybe Ivy doesn't earn a living wage, but the room and board is part of her arrangement, and Eliza just gives her a little extra for spending money?  Ivy would probably work for free, she seems to think of Eliza as a daughter of sorts.

Well, yes, but that's the point.  Women often took jobs where they were the cook/nanny/housekeeper in a home for room, board, and a bit of money.  That's the way it often was arranged from what I've read. 

I keep coming back to the same point.  William's angst over her cooking doesn't make sense.  A woman in her social position would never be expected to cook all her own meals, even with kids.  OTOH, his upset over her putting herself in constant danger would be understandable.  Especially if she was going to be the mother of his children, for instance.

• Like 2