Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings

• Start Topic

I thought I'd put any ratings information in its own thread rather than throw it in with current plot discussion.

This is mostly about GH but there is some good news about the DOOL numbers as well.

From MIchael Fairman's site - 

RATINGS: General Hospital Shows Gains In Total Viewers and Women 18-49 Demo!

Courtesy/ABC

The ratings are out for the week of August 11th to August 15th, and it was ABC’s General Hospital who had a solid week showing gains in the all important total viewers numbers.  GH while remaining in third place among the four soaps, added +75,000 to its tally, bringing its total to 2,879,000.

The only other soap to shows gains was NBC’s Days of our Lives which added +59,000 and came in with a weekly total of 2,463,000.  General Hospital also was up in the key women’s 18-49 demo adding +17,000, and being only one of two soaps  in that demographic to be on the plus side (Y&R being the other with +7,000)!  GH continues to be giving Y&R a run for the money, inching up and not too far away from the number one position.

DAYS saw gains in the women’s 18-34 demo, being the only soap in that demographic to add viewers.  And all four network soaps saw gains in the 25-54 demo category.  CBS soaps; The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful continue to be at #1 and #2 positions in total viewers despite a week of losing viewers.  View the complete ratings picture courtesy of SON here.

• Love 1

Yet they continue to have Abigail as a lead. That and the elephant shit story, Will being a douchbag, and the endless drama of Lima Bean aren't helping either. The twerps tape so far in advance they can't adjust story or fire duds based on audience feedback and improve ratings.

Just kidding they never cared about audience feedback hence Abigail.

• Love 4

Having Abigail as a lead is mind-boggling.  And what's really pathetic is that she's on all the time but really doesn't have her own story.  She's DOOL's version of Kiki Jerome.  A useless, obnoxious character portrayed by a middling, weird looking actor. 

For all its problems, though, Days is still superior to General Hospital in every way IMO.  I would really hate to lose it.  Not that it looks like it's going anywhere soon, since new writers are on board and they're so far ahead with taping.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 4
(edited)

For all its problems, though, Days is still superior to General Hospital in every way IMO.  I would really hate to lose it.  Not that it looks like it's going anywhere soon, since new writers are on board and they're so far ahead with taping.

I agree.  With all the WTFery we see, the show still has a focus on intergenerational families, and gives actual storylines to women over 25.  Now if they could only write better, DROP THE MISOGYNY, etc......DOOL still has all the tools in place to be good, whereas several of our remaining soaps have jettisoned them and give us awful crap to watch.

On the ratings.....I saw today that USA network only averages 1.87 million viewers for their nighttime lineup every single day.  Days alone does better than that.  

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

I agree.  With all the WTFery we see, the show still has a focus on intergenerational famlies, and gives actual storylines to women over 25.  Now if they could only write better, etc......DOOL still has all the tools in place to be good, whereas several of our remaining soaps have jettisoned them and give us awful crap to watch.

On the ratings.....I saw today that USA network only averages 1.87 million viewers for their nighttime lineup every single day.  Days alone does better than that.  

I bitch about days because the show could be better and they have the actors to pull it off...Even though I hate  what has been done to Wilson, I am happy that they are getting treated the same like their straight counterparts. I stopped watching general hospital, because everybody has to be sacrificed on the altar of Sonny Corinthos and that is sickening....AJ getting killed off and Sonny getting away with it, was the last straw for me.....I want Days to go back to its roots and I want Ken Corday to no longer have creative control...The Will cheating storyline was his idea and we all saw how well that turned out.....The man is a hack and out of touch with the viewing public.....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Ken Corday was on Facebook taunting the Ejami fans about how he was going to ruin their couple.  Then one of the writers at Days was on Twitter saying Sami getting cheated on was her fault for leaving town because husband's cheat with the babysitter when their wives aren't around.  The entire Ejami fanbase quit watching.  A few months ago when Ken Corday was all, "I don't believe in supercouples, but Ejami were a supercouple."  To which, the Ejami's responded with a collective, "Whatever."

I was a Sami fan her entire time on the show.  I didn't always agree with what she did, but she was entertaining.  It annoys me to no end that Ken Corday was willing to trash Sami, Rafe, EJ, Lucas, Nicole, Lumi, Safe, and Ejole just so he could rile up the Ejami fans by ruining their couple.  He has absolutely no respect or appreciation for any of the fans, and he deserves the ratings going down.

• Love 3

My affiliate has twice in the last few years briefly banished Days to its CW sister station only to do with worse with the talk show that replaced it.

My ABC just last week banished The Chew to its sister station and gave its hour to Hot Bench; Chew was losing to that Home Improvement Show with Antonio Sabato Jr. that replaced Latifah on the NBC affiliate at 2.

Anyway, the last local numbers I saw, Days was in last place locally behind Judge Judy on MyNetworkTV, Y&R/B&B on CBS, Meredith on ABC, Steve Wilkos on TheCW, SVU repeats on the ABC sister station, and The Real on FOX.

Edited by Tiger

Yet they continue to have Abigail as a lead. That and the elephant shit story, Will being a douchbag, and the endless drama of Lima Bean aren't helping either. The twerps tape so far in advance they can't adjust story or fire duds based on audience feedback and improve ratings.

Just kidding they never cared about audience feedback hence Abigail.

Who's Lima bean?

(edited)

Paige - Eve's daughter and the girl dating JJ.

Oh Christ, she's terrible. Quite possibly the most boring character I have ever had the displeasure of watching on this show (save for Taylor) With storylines revolving around her and the dull as dishwater JJ it's no wonder the ratings are in the toilet. Who writes this crap anyway? Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

Ken Corday was on Facebook taunting the Ejami fans about how he was going to ruin their couple.  Then one of the writers at Days was on Twitter saying Sami getting cheated on was her fault for leaving town because husband's cheat with the babysitter when their wives aren't around.  The entire Ejami fanbase quit watching.  A few months ago when Ken Corday was all, "I don't believe in supercouples, but Ejami were a supercouple."  To which, the Ejami's responded with a collective, "Whatever."

I was a Sami fan her entire time on the show.  I didn't always agree with what she did, but she was entertaining.  It annoys me to no end that Ken Corday was willing to trash Sami, Rafe, EJ, Lucas, Nicole, Lumi, Safe, and Ejole just so he could rile up the Ejami fans by ruining their couple.  He has absolutely no respect or appreciation for any of the fans, and he deserves the ratings going down.

Corday is truly a moron if he doesn't believe in Supercouples. Their best ratings years were back in the heyday of the Supercouple. He must be blind, stupid, and deaf to not notice that along with all the fans that exited with Ejami. I've always thought the key to getting the ratings back up was to look back at the past when the show was a real success. 

• Love 1

Corday is truly a moron if he doesn't believe in Supercouples. Their best ratings years were back in the heyday of the Supercouple. He must be blind, stupid, and deaf to not notice that along with all the fans that exited with Ejami. I've always thought the key to getting the ratings back up was to look back at the past when the show was a real success.

I agree. There is a reason why in some cases, more than thirty years later, the Bo/Hope, RomaJohn/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, Shane/Kim, Jack/Jennifer era is viewed as being the "Glory Days" of the show. Shelley Curtis, the show runner for a good bulk of this time (80s) and Corday's parents understood this. While quality of the storylines might have fluctuated, the viewers remained loyal because the core couples and good side characters kept the show viewable. This is why viewers want these characters back because it gives them hope that things can be better on the show they love. I know I'm back for Steve and Kayla. I came back for the return in 2006, left when the show decided that crapping over Kayla was the way to go and returned again when they realized that Steve had better remember Kayla and they needed to end the Billie foolishness. I hated Steve and Billie because with the exception of the actress who always dressed like a hooker, I loved Billie from the time Lisa Rhinna portrayed her (in fact, I was team Bo and Billie when Hope returned) and continued loving Julie Pinson in the role. The show making her character so desperate for validation through a man, any man, something she never was before, made it difficult to watch, and ultimately marked the character's end on the show. So Steve and Kayla fans were furious and many tuned out, and Billie fans lost out for a storyline that anyone with a functioning brain could have told the showrunners was destined to be a colossal bomb. This fundamental lack of understanding of what made Days Days remains in place today and it's sad.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

I love your post Happytobehere, it is a shame what they did to Billie...They turned her into an interloper for Steve and Kayla. She could have been so much than that..I loved Julie Pinson  as Billie. She was my favorite Billie..Billie was at her best as  sister to Austin, Lucas and Philip..I loved her complicated relationship  with Kate, there was always an undertone of resentment, regret and love..I think Billie still blames her for leaving her with Curtis.. The biggest hurdle that is keeping the show back is Ken Corday..He is absolutely clueless about running the show...Not to mention, a big moralistic idiot...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/18/soap-opera-ratings-general-hospital-bold-the-beautiful-days-rise-in-women-18-49-ratings-viewers/468576/

Ratings Report for the Week of September 5, 2015

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,563,000 (-214,000/-176,000)
2. B&B 3,448,000 (-120,000/-6,000)
3. GH 2,765,000 (+130,000/-163,000)
4. DAYS 2,470,000 (+155,000/-52,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.34/12 (-.07/-.14)
2. B&B 2.51/9 (-.05/-.09)
3. GH 2.09/7 (+.07/-.12)
4. DAYS 1.84/6 (+.07/-.05)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 662,000 (-21,000/-175,000)
2. B&B 541,000 (+36,000/-91,000)
3. DAYS 513,000 (+55,000/-16,000)
4. GH 487,000 (+54,000/-130,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.04/8 (-.03/-.27)
2. B&B 0.85/6 (+.06/-.14)
3. DAYS 0.80/6 (+.08/-.03)
4. GH 0.76/6 (+.08/-.2)

• Love 1

DAYS Oct 26-30 ratings. The numbers are strong into the anniversary week. Both Days and YR are the best soaps going the past few months. Still hoping Days can get 3M viewers for Monday's episode since Friday was a cliffhanger.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/11/ratings-good-week-for-daysyrbb

I think for a show celebrating it's 50th anniversary, Days should most definitely be in the 2nd spot if not temporarily catching the first. That fact that it's not (and likely won't be for the actual anniversary week based on the huge jump it would still have to make) points to major issues with the writing/storylines as well as advertising of the big event to wow back old viewers. 

• Love 2

The lousy writing has been a problem for years, but there are so many other problems behind the scenes at Days.  I can't help but think that Sami's SL is another one of Ken Corday's FUs to the Sami fans and Ejami fans, and possibly Alison Sweeney for moving on to other projects.  James Scott has publicly said several times he won't be returning to Days.  So Ken Corday kills Will, Sami returns for the funeral, and they make it all about EJ even though everyone knows James Scott is not returning.  Alison Sweeney did not like that Will was being killed, but felt it would be wrong for Sami not to be at Will's funeral.  So she is left with the choice of not returning for Will's funeral, or returning for Will's funeral, and having Sami be all about EJ, a man Sami hated for almost the entire eight years he was on the show.  I despise Ken Corday.

I don't think the SLs for Aiden/Hope/Bo, or Kayla/Steve will be all that great either.  I believe Aiden will be completely trashed even though Hope and Bo won't end up together.  DC is a good actor, and Aiden was one of the few new characters that was able to attract some fans to the show, and it's all tossed away for what?  I think Ken Corday may do the same thing to Kayla/Steve he did in 2006/2007 which was have Steve return to Salem only to pair him up with another woman who isn't Kalya.

Since Ken Corday never wanted this legacy from his parents, why doesn't he turn the running of the show over to someone who actually does care about it and the characters?

• Love 5

Alison Sweeney did not like that Will was being killed, but felt it would be wrong for Sami not to be at Will's funeral.  So she is left with the choice of not returning for Will's funeral, or returning for Will's funeral, and having Sami be all about EJ, a man Sami hated for almost the entire eight years he was on the show.  I despise Ken Corday.

Will's funeral was one day, she showed up the day before. If she was so appalled she didn't need to tape the amount of episodes she did, like this upcoming week. All this stuff upcoming about the Dimera's and her EJ searching isn't part of Will's funeral. She didn't need to agree to that.

AS herself seems like she wanted the EJ stuff from her interviews, for closure and she didn't like how that ended. They could have easily had EJ and Sami leave together and I don't think she's over that. I also don't think Sami hated EJ for the entire 8 years, it didn't play that way at all.

• Love 2

Im part of the minority. I didn't mind Will being killed off (at least since Guy Wilson was playing him). It was a way to advance storyline with the necktie strangler mystery and of course adding shock. All of the murder-mysteries Days has done so: kill a bunch of people fans would care about (ie Paige Larson) and then murder a fan fav, beloved character or a great villian. And while Will was a legacy character I just didnt mind what Josh Griffith did here so as long he didn't kill off Hope, Marlena, John, or Jennifer he was ok in my book. The storyline is not perfect, IMO, but for some Days fans and newer Days fans and its showing in the ratings gains.

Edited by BlackMamba

Alison Sweeney felt bad for the Ejami fans, and thought they deserved closure.  She is also good friends with BD (Lucas) and GG (Rafe), and didn't want their characters left in limbo with regards to Sami.  Just because AS returned to wrap up SLs doesn't mean she likes what Ken Corday is doing.  It means she cares about the fans something Ken Corday can't be bothered with.

• Love 5

DAYS OF OUR LIVES has once again delivered its most-watched week in 20 months, averaging 2.806 million viewers for the daytime ratings week of Nov. 9-13, making it the most-watched week for "Days" since Feb. 17-21, 2014 (2.836 million).

-CUT-

Versus the same week last year, "Days of our Lives" grew +16% in total viewers (2.806 million vs. 2.411 million for the week of Nov. 10-14, 2014), +56% in women 18-34 (0.53 vs. 0.34), +13% in women 18-49 (0.89 vs. 0.79) and +13% in women 25-54 (1.18 vs. 1.04).

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/NBCs-DAYS-OF-OUR-LIVES-Delivers-Most-Watched-Week-Since-February-2014-20151119

What happened that week

Monday, Nov. 9 from She Knows Soaps tease fans that a gruesome battle will be taking place, which will ultimately take the life of one character.

On Tuesday, Nov. 10, "Days" spoilers detail that Ben and Abigail will have an intense confrontation, as the former kidnapped Abigail after she realized that he was the real necktie killer. According to spoilers from the outlet, Ben will lash out on Abigail for having an affair with Chad.

On Wednesday, Nov. 11 indicate that Hope will finally learn the truth about Bo and why he went missing for such a long time. Will Hope be able to forgive Bo and will this pave the way for a reunion between the two?

On Thursday, Nov. 12, DOOL spoilers hint that a new character, Fynn, will be coming into town and Nicole will immediately be charmed by his looks.

On Friday, Nov. 13, fans and viewers will see Chad begin to worry over Abigail's sudden disappearance and will try to ask Rafe for help. Will Chad be able to rescue Abigail from Ben?

http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/49424/20151105/days-lives-spoilers-november-9-%E2%80%93-13-2015-bo-kills.htm

Looking into my crystal ball.....ratings plummet once all the viewers that only tuned in for the 50th celebration and the return of Bo and Sami go back to their normal daytime lives.  Antidepressant pharmaceutical companies rush to buy advertising slots for daytime's most dour hour. 

• Love 1