Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Call Me Philliam

• Start Topic

I'm glad they gave Phil a happy ending.  And I'm sure I'll stop crying someday...

I hope his mother isn't a permanent fixture.  I love Vicki Lawrence as much as the next person, but please, no more of Lurlene.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, bunnyface said:

I'm glad they gave Phil a happy ending.  And I'm sure I'll stop crying someday...

I hope his mother isn't a permanent fixture.  I love Vicki Lawrence as much as the next person, but please, no more of Lurlene.

I would love to have her on permanently as long as they tone her down but I definitely didn’t like her trying to take over tonight. It’s Sheila who has been getting on my nerves. Her pot shots at Kat are getting to be a bit much.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I cried my eyes out. Cheyanne nearly sobbing really got to me too. 

Vicki Lawrence is in no way old enuf to have been Phil's mom, but whatever. And I like her, but that character can just not come back, plz, thank you. 

I still can't wrap my brain around Leslie Jordan actually being gone. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

I knew what was coming and still ugly cried at the ending. I was torn over whether they should kill Phil off or give him a happy ending and in a sense, they did both.

LJ's absence is definitely felt so I wonder if the show can succeed at this point considering it's already not doing so great in the ratings. Not that he carried the show, but he filled a specific role in the ensemble and the gap is noticeable. Lurlene doesn't really work for me and I 'm not sure I need more of Carter's cousin. And neither of those fill that gap.

• Like 8

I didn’t like Phil’s mom as a character, but Vicki Lawrence and Leslie Jordan were so good together on The Cool Kids that I was happy to see her here.

The calf delivery was so absurd. I’ll take a stab here and guess none of the writers have been on a farm, let alone seen a calf delivered. 
But the show’s tribute to Jordan was so great, all is forgiven.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, luna1122again said:

Yep I know they were close so watching him try to hold it together made me tear up bad! You just know they all burst out crying after they said "cut."  Sweet tribute though and glad Phil has a happy ending.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

At first I really didn't like the idea of them making Phil run away to Tahiti.  It didn't seem to be an appropriate tribute to Leslie or his character.  But when the end came and they explained it I burst out into tears, especially because I realized that their tears were not acting, but real.  I totally did not see that coming.  It was very powerful and yes, I am on board with giving Phil his happy ending.  I am sure that from their point of view that happy ending is where the plot with him and Jaden has headed, although probably not in Tahiti.

I'm not against Phil's mom being a part of the show even with her OTT behavior.  If anyone can save this wreck now it would be Vicki Lawrence, but it might just be too little too late, I'm afraid.  

And WTF now instead of cats we have cows and a rooster?  The cow thing was dumb but boy was that a beautiful rooster!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

And WTF now instead of cats we have cows and a rooster?  The cow thing was dumb but boy was that a beautiful rooster!

So do the cafe cats normally go someplace else overnight?  Because in the early morning, we had a rooster but no cats in the cafe.  I would have expected it to be the other way around 🪶🪶🐈🐈

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I would have expected a pile of cats picking rooster feathers out of their teeth the next morning....

I approve of the way they ended it.  They knew what Leslie would have wanted, and that's the most important thing.  Didn't care for Vicki, as long as she's one-and-done.  They can find somebody else to bake.  Dare I say a young Asian lady, to round out the cast & do astonishing things with matcha?  Seriously, and she'd wear head-to-toe "Hello Kitty" gear. Ok, maybe a stretch. 

I still enjoy the show and hope they get more airtime.  

• Like 4
On 1/6/2023 at 6:18 AM, xander874 said:

I was torn over whether they should kill Phil off or give him a happy ending and in a sense, they did both.

When they found out he wasn't coming back, they were talking like he actually had passed away - I thought that was going to be his send off.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:43 AM, luna1122again said:

Vicki Lawrence is in no way old enuf to have been Phil's mom, but whatever. And I like her, but that character can just not come back, plz, thank you. 

Cheyenne at the end pushed me over edge. He did a great impression of Phil when they were in the barn, too. 

Hey, she's 79 years old and has a damn plate in her head! - j/k, in real life Vicki's 73; still too young. As soon as she walked in I thought, There's the new Phil.  We'll see if she sticks.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1
On 1/6/2023 at 10:04 AM, zoey1996 said:

The calf delivery was so absurd. I’ll take a stab here and guess none of the writers have been on a farm, let alone seen a calf delivered. 

That fish-out-of-water-trope has been done to death. Feh!

I think this is the gray kitty that Kat was brushing, checking out the set between takes:

cute-cat-cat.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/6/2023 at 5:21 PM, leighdear said:

I would have expected a pile of cats picking rooster feathers out of their teeth the next morning....

I approve of the way they ended it.  They knew what Leslie would have wanted, and that's the most important thing.  Didn't care for Vicki, as long as she's one-and-done.  They can find somebody else to bake.  Dare I say a young Asian lady, to round out the cast & do astonishing things with matcha?  Seriously, and she'd wear head-to-toe "Hello Kitty" gear. Ok, maybe a stretch. 

I still enjoy the show and hope they get more airtime.  

Nope.

young Asian lady idea is horrible.

30 minutes ago, Becki said:

Nope.

young Asian lady idea is horrible.

Thanks.  But from an inclusive perspective, there are no Asians or Hispanics in the cast.  And there are both in Kentucky, I assure you.  But if another straight white male/female comes in as baker, people will bitch.  

• Like 1
On 1/6/2023 at 8:43 AM, luna1122again said:

I still can't wrap my brain around Leslie Jordan actually being gone. 

Same. I cried right along with them.

I laughed at that casting because I'm pretty sure Leslie and Vickie were on cool kids together. I think that was the name about a show in a nursing home. I enjoyed it but it was canceled quickly  

• Like 1

I have been wondering how they would handle Leslie's passing and Phil, and while I wasn't sure at first about this but I think it was well done. They get to give Phil a happy ending while also appreciating and mourning him. That ending got me right in the feels, Cheyanne especially looked devastated. The tribute at the end was really lovely. 

The mom character was fine in this episode, but I hope that she isn't Phil's new replacement. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought Vicki Lawrence did great as Phil's mom.  She even had some of Phil's characteristics. However, the character itself is obnoxious so I hope that she's not a regular.

It was a great tribute to Leslie Jordan but I still can't believe he's gone.

Also Sheila was best when she did stuff with Phil.  Now, she's basically somebody that is a b*tch to her daughter.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Like 2
On 1/8/2023 at 6:11 PM, leighdear said:

Thanks.  But from an inclusive perspective, there are no Asians or Hispanics in the cast.  And there are both in Kentucky, I assure you.  But if another straight white male/female comes in as baker, people will bitch.  

I’m aware of the demographic, as I live in Tennessee.

I also have an Asian granddaughter that lives in Hawaii.

I don’t think that inclusion should be the reason a show hires a cast member.

it should come down to whoever is the best actor auditioning for the role.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2