Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Witching Hour

• Start Topic

Neurosurgeon Rowan Fielding has a problem - when she gets mad, she kills with her mind. Her search for answers sends her toward her secretive biological family. In New Orleans, Deirdre Mayfair is desperate to escape from her aunt's oppressive house.

Streaming on AMC+ 23.01.05 and airing on AMC 23.01.08. 

Proceed at your own risk for spoilers before the AMC airdate.

• Like 2

Well, not as bad as I was braced for, but I do wonder how well a non book reader would have followed the episode. There were a lot of elements introduced without a lot of explanation. I’m not certain if the show runners mean to work through the history from Dierdre back to Suzanne, but wonder how that would work. I wondered if someone not familiar with the source material would find the time jumps confusing especially because they weren’t very well differentiated in either visual style or costuming. 

My biggest complaint is that I don’t find the interpretation of Rowan believable or the actress playing her watchable. Even when she’s dressing Lemle down and telepathically murdering him she’s doing it in a baby voice with no confidence behind it. This just doesn’t work for the character, at least not for me and Rowan is the fulcrum that turns the entire story. I’m going to give this a few more episodes because I love parts of the source material but I’m at best lukewarm right now. Interested to hear other’s reactions. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

In full disclosure, while I have read all the Vampire Chronicles through Blood and Gold, I have never read any of the Mayfair Witch books, including the vampire crossovers. (I planned to read them recently, but it never happened.) That said, I enjoyed this, if not as much as Interview with the Vampire. It may be that I don't have expectations or the need to compare with the novels like I had with Interview. I found the story compelling, and left me interested in the world they're building. 

20 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

I wondered if someone not familiar with the source material would find the time jumps confusing especially because they weren’t very well differentiated in either visual style or costuming. 

I didn't have a problem with it because it was obvious that the woman on the porch in the beginning was Dierdre, and that Dierdre was Rowan's mother. The part I didn't get was all those aunts and the history behind the family, which I assume will be uncovered over the course of the series. 

ETA: going through the Anne Rice site, I'm sure I read Merrick many years ago, but I don't recall a thing about it. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

ETA: going through the Anne Rice site, I'm sure I read Merrick many years ago, but I don't recall a thing about it. 

Maybe think of that as a blessing in disguise. Merrick is one of the books that made me stop reading Rice back in the day. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Did I understand correctly in the episode insider that they are going to try and cover the whole first book in Season 1? That seems like a big swing. 

This first episode was just ok. I really like the actress playing Rowan, in general, but the characterization here seems really off - they're trying to sell her as really unsure of herself and vulnerable, but that doesn't fit with "hot shot neurosurgeon who takes her boat out in the SCARY OCEAN* all by herself and sleeps with random dudes" that they're simultaneously pitching. It's possible that this is suffering from a comparison with IWTV, which took most of the first episode to establish Louis' backstory before jumping into the supernatural - I think a similar approach would have been better here.

*I think that's how we're meant to see it, but there's no context for that at all.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

really like the actress playing Rowan, in general, but the characterization here seems really off - they're trying to sell her as really unsure of herself and vulnerable, but that doesn't fit with "hot shot neurosurgeon who takes her boat out in the SCARY OCEAN* all by herself and sleeps with random dudes" that they're simultaneously pitching. 

This is what bothers me about the actress and the characterization here. There are criticisms that can be made of Rowan’s characterization but none of them are that she’s a babyish young person who barely has her feet under her. Not that there is anything wrong with that, being young is difficult. But Rowan is pitched as the exceptional person’s exceptional person, so gifted that she verges in the frightening even if she tries to disguise it to get along. Okay, many people of talent suffer from imposter syndrome, but that isn’t the public persona they show generally even if it is internally true. Rowan the character could easily be criticized as too perfect to be believable, but this hard swing to a person who hardly seems like they’d have the confidence to start an IV much less slice into someone’s brain grates. Also wasnt Rowan older? In her mid thirties? This woman reads as more mid twenties to me. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Oh, well. I wasn't pleased with the casting of "Interview" either, and it was a decent series. I'm in for now.

That's where I am; it took me a few eps to be all in for IWTV, so I'm hoping this will improve over time. Though... they're going to have to work real hard to get me to buy this Lasher. Real hard.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 1/5/2023 at 12:07 PM, AuntieMame said:

My biggest complaint is that I don’t find the interpretation of Rowan believable

The most unbelievable part was her being a neurosurgeon. 😄 It did hold my interest, however, so I’ll stay tuned for the time being. 

• Like 6
On 1/6/2023 at 7:31 AM, AuntieMame said:

Also wasnt Rowan older? In her mid thirties? This woman reads as more mid twenties to me. 

Alexandra Daddario does look like she’s in her twenties, but will actually be 36 in a couple of months. I haven’t read more than the first few chapters of the first book, but the thing that bugs me is that Rowan was supposed to be blonde. I suppose the writers decided a blonde wouldn’t look “witchy” enough?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jim Gleason as Dr. Norman Keck
Cameron Jade Inman as Young Deirdre Mayfair

MW_101_AB_0520_0490_RT-1320x880.jpg

Sam Evans as Patrick
Fj8lPX5XEAMv8RI?format=jpg&name=large

Melissa Chambers as Mawbel
Tobias Jelinkek as Daniel Lemle
Beth Grant as Carlotta Mayfair

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 2

Nice seeing a dirtied up version of Anne Rice's old First Street house again, so I suppose that's something at least. On my first ever trip to New Orleans years before I lived there, (not coincidentally around the same time this first book came out) a couple of college friends and I rode the St. Charles line uptown to go stand outside and gawk at it. The book descriptions are that dead on that it's that easy to find.

This first episode wasn't quite the train wreck I was fearing, although add me to the actress is not selling this character club. She all too big eyes and little girl voice. It's a choice I guess to make her wholly unaware of her "abilities" up to this point. On the flip side of thinking she was coming across as too young, I spent much of the time "young" Dierdre was on screen trying to figure out how old that actress is because from some angles she seemed a little old to be playing a Catholic school girl. 

The verdict is still out for me on this interpretation of Lasher. The director's notes for Harry Hamlin appear to have led him to believe he's in a Tennessee Williams play. Nice to see Beth Grant chewing the scenery as Carlotta. It's such a thanklessly evil role, but it looks like she's more than up for it.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I didn't realize that Dierdre and the drugged up lady were the same person.  I thought the drugged up lady was her mother, since the doctor was dressed in old-fashioned clothes.

It's pretty awful that the older doctor took over the surgery just because he wanted to look good in front of the CEO.  I couldn't believe his nerve when he said "what word" to her.  I don't blame her for hurting (killing?) him since he tried to say having personal feelings would make her a horrible doctor.  Same for the guy who peed in front of her and tried to make her cut someone from the trial.

I had a feeling that Rowan's mom knew more than she was saying to Rowan, but I didn't realize she was a Mayfair herself.  It's pretty terrible to lie to Rowan, making her feel crazy.  It seems to be the go-to method of that family.

They made Rowan look pretty cold, with trying to proposition the bartender and then moving on to another guy right in front of him.  I couldn't tell who was in her bed at first, but I was just shaking my head that the bartender moved back into her web so easily.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed the first episode. I love the Mayfair Witches Trilogy, and I thought the show perfectly captured the atmosphere and the mood surrounding the tragic Mayfair family and the dangerous creature, Lasher. 

I used to follow Anne Rice (🙏🏽RIP) on Twitter, and she was a lovely, smart, and funny person. I'm glad AMC has taken on the adaptation of her works, even though I don't like vampires.

Looking forward to the rest of the series! 🙂

• Like 9

Well, not as bad as I was braced for, but I do wonder how well a non book reader would have followed the episode. 

{raises hand} - Never read any of the books. I didn't love this. I was able to follow it OK but it didn't really grab me. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I like Alexandra Daddario, and since I have no preconceived ideas about the character she's playing I was just fine with her. I'll stick with it for awhile. I didn't love the first episode of Interview either and eventually came around. Maybe this will get better too. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

{raises hand} - Never read any of the books. I didn't love this. I was able to follow it OK but it didn't really grab me. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I like Alexandra Daddario, and since I have no preconceived ideas about the character she's playing I was just fine with her. I'll stick with it for awhile. I didn't love the first episode of Interview either and eventually came around. Maybe this will get better too. 

Ditto. I started out thinking the woman that we saw in the beginning was an older version of Rowan (which I think was the idea) but then obviously, she turned out to be the older version of Deirdre that we were seeing in the main bulk of the episode and she was Rowan’s mother. Non linear storytelling, I’ve got a handle on it the from season 1 of The Witcher, so no problem.

I wasn’t terribly interested at first but I definitely thought it picked up at the end and I’ll be watching more. 

They really broke out the Cajun cliché with the doctor in the pastel suit and bowtie, I’m surprised he didn’t have an accent.

Also? I realize the drug trial guy was taking a piss in front of Rowan as a power play but for gods sake, wash your hands after you touch your dick.

I also like Alexandra Daddario, I first saw her way back when she was on All My Children — she was terrible there but it was definitely a matter of her learning how to act and they cut her loose right when she was finally getting the hang of it. No matter, her career was the better for it.

• Like 4

I've read all the Vampire Chroncle books and the Mayfair Witches series as well.  I found Alexandra Daddario horribly miscast as Rowan and a terrible actress.  Her line delivery was awful.  I actually fell asleep about 20 minutes into the episode, so I'll have to watch it again but this doesn't bode well.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I started out thinking the woman that we saw in the beginning was an older version of Rowan (which I think was the idea) but then obviously, she turned out to be the older version of Deirdre that we were seeing in the main bulk of the episode and she was Rowan’s mother.

That's what i thought too, then figured out, oh that's the mom, and then it came full circle at the end seeing her in the chair-

I did love that scene at the beginning with the woman watching over her who told the doctor, "what man" in a voice basically saying to him, 'watch yourself'

and the house is awesome-I think they captured it very well, while I didn't read the books, ( i read the vampire books) I remember back in the 90's going to the bookstore (when that was a thing) and seeing the paperback covers for the Mayfair trilogy books and seeing that house on the cover

On 1/6/2023 at 11:34 AM, WatcherUatl10 said:

I wasn't pleased with the casting of "Interview" either, and it was a decent series.

🤯-- see, this is where i differ, I think the casting of Interview was leaps and bounds better than this series---while Louis and Lestat are toxic, the actors make that couple work---they are just THAT GOOD---toxicity and all, i'm here for it and want more

The Lasher guy I'm not enticed by at all, and I don't know Alexandra D's work beyond Baywatch LOL, I need to watch the White Lotus, she's very attractive, but I'm not seeing the level of greatness that I saw with the actors who played Louis and Lestat

On 1/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, nodorothyparker said:

The director's notes for Harry Hamlin appear to have led him to believe he's in a Tennessee Williams play

😆 yeah, when I heard the voice, I'm thinking..."uh-wrong state"

I'm still in, but this is no Interview....(so far)

• Wink 1
  • Applause 3

I've only read the Mayfair Witch trilogy (didn't follow the witches into the Vampire series) and I was a kid at the time (high school). I just remember being so interested and enthralled by it all. I came into this cautiously optimistic and it was just...okay. Alexandra Daddario is a fine actress but I still don't see Rowan in her. And I kept thinking, if you know/suspect that you have this power, why not try to save your foster mother? Still not sure about the unnecessary Ciprien hybrid and am waiting for Lasher to get really creepy but I liked the atmosphere and Harry Hamlin seemed to be having the time of his life. I feel like this will lean into guilty pleasure territory and I'm fine with that. 

• Like 3

A reminder that there should be no mention of characters from the books who don't appear on this show. There are threads to discuss the books and compare the books to the show. Posts will be removed if there are mentions of book-only events or characters. 

• Like 2

Nice to see Jack Huston again! I haven't read the books, so I can't say if he was miscast, but he was my favorite part of "Boardwalk Empire" (he played the fan-favorite "man in the mask"). 

And Beth Grant! Just before I watched this, one of her "Office" appearances reran on Comedy Central (she played Dwight's babysitter/date in a few episodes), so I spotted her right away.

And Erica Gimpel as Rowan's mom, who will forever be Semiramis on "North and South" to me, and who hasn't apparently aged in the 40 years (!) since that was filmed.

Harry Hamlin! Persus himself!

I liked Alexandra Daddario on "The White Lotus," but I agree that I don't buy her as a neurosurgeon who lives on a boat and sleeps around. 

I wasn't as intrigued as I was by the "Discovery of Witches" pilot but I'm interested to see where this goes. That said...obviously I do love the casting director for the most part.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

And Erica Gimpel as Rowan's mom, who will forever be Semiramis on "North and South" to me, and who hasn't apparently aged in the 40 years (!) since that was filmed.

I knew I'd seen her somewhere other than Fame, as a kid. Thank you. I'd totally forgotten about North and South.

• Like 3
On 1/5/2023 at 11:07 AM, AuntieMame said:

Well, not as bad as I was braced for, but I do wonder how well a non book reader would have followed the episode. There were a lot of elements introduced without a lot of explanation. I’m not certain if the show runners mean to work through the history from Dierdre back to Suzanne, but wonder how that would work. I wondered if someone not familiar with the source material would find the time jumps confusing especially because they weren’t very well differentiated in either visual style or costuming. 

My biggest complaint is that I don’t find the interpretation of Rowan believable or the actress playing her watchable. Even when she’s dressing Lemle down and telepathically murdering him she’s doing it in a baby voice with no confidence behind it. This just doesn’t work for the character, at least not for me and Rowan is the fulcrum that turns the entire story. I’m going to give this a few more episodes because I love parts of the source material but I’m at best lukewarm right now. Interested to hear other’s reactions. 

I actually saved up my dvr episodes so I can binge. I started yesterday. (Cold outside, bad roads). I  agree on the actress for Rowan. The way I read Rowan was she was calm and steady. And blonde. 

• Like 2

Welp. I only got halfway through and turned it off. And I loved the book. Bad casting and acting all around. Couldn’t tell if the “old days” were supposed to be fuzzy or it was bad film work. Don’t remember the book too well but…I know this didn’t grab me like it did. Oh well. Plenty of other tv but I’m disappointed. Really wanted this to work. 

• Like 2

I am just now catching up with this show. And yeah, you don't zoom in on Deirdre's eye then zoom out on Rowan's eyes. That camera trope is meant to imply they're the same person at different ages, so I was confused that they turned out to be mother and daughter. Bad editing and camera decision.

• Like 2