Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: All In

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A famous cardiothoracic surgeon - who happens to be Dr. Yamada's mentor - comes into Chastain after experiencing heart pain. Meanwhile, Kit breaks the news that the ER will no longer be accepting trauma patients due to budget cuts, and Devon and Conrad help treat a confused woman.

Airdate: 01/03/2023

Padma has never had an unexpressed emotion in her life. They aren't seriously expecting us to believe she kept her PPD to herself, are they?  No, Devon.  No, Leela.  No, AJ.  Y'all were too busy not thinking about what you were seeing.  Or maybe Padma is exhausting on a good day, so it's hard to know when she's over the top.  Either way, the nanny would have noticed!

Edited by izabella
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Who wrote these lines? A 12yo?

”Padma didn’t want us to see.”

For real??! Devon is smarter than that.

9A9BF49A-8215-4E4B-B552-CD4DB593D36D.jpeg

CF379872-FB25-440E-8044-6B27A6E3BB76.jpeg

4DF2AD7E-801A-42EA-B55B-01E22D092AF6.jpeg

31 minutes ago, izabella said:

Padma has never had an unexpressed emotion in her life. They aren't seriously expecting us to believe she kept her PPD to herself, are they?  No, Devon.  No, Leela.  No, AJ.  Y'all were too busy not thinking about what you were seeing.  Or maybe Padma is exhausting on a good day, so it's hard to know when she's over the top.  Either way, the nanny would have noticed!

Seriously! The signs were there! All of them! With alarm bells and flashing lights! Padma didn’t hide anything! Her friends and family were too up their own asses to see any of it! 

I was surprised that AJ, being a doctor, didn’t have more compassion for Padma’s mental illness. Although, that’s not his specialty and he likely has very little training in MI. At the same time, this is a medical TV drama though and any doctor can have any speciality (ie, perform any surgery) whenever the script calls for it! 

Also, the conversation with Conrad and Cade. Did he know her dad was an addict? Because if not, you’d think he’d have questions like “what? Rehab? Really?” But he acted like he wasn’t surprised. And I know cheating is awful but I found it a bit hypocritical for Cade to divulge a secret she’s been keeping from Conrad and expect forgiveness and understanding, only to walk out on Conrad when he shares a secret of his own. 

Edited by Frisky Wig
Added stuff
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

Also, the conversation with Conrad and Cade. Did he know her dad was an addict? Because if not, you’d think he’d have questions like “what? Rehab? Really?” But he acted like he wasn’t surprised.

He did know about the addiction.  She had told him about it in a past episode after a booty call.  She got up to leave, and it was because she had so much on her mind, and she told him.

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, izabella said:

Or maybe Padma is exhausting on a good day, so it's hard to know when she's always over the top.

FTFY.

2 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

And I know cheating is awful but I found it a bit hypocritical for Cade to divulge a secret she’s been keeping from Conrad and expect forgiveness and understanding, only to walk out on Conrad when he shares a secret of his own. 

To be fair, it was clear he was breaking up with her, but yeah, it was also hypocritical of her. And I couldn’t help thinking her reaction to his “I tried to make it work between us” comment was pretty underwhelming, even for someone who’s always come across as such a cold fish. Although he didn’t intend it to be, that was a really hurtful thing to say. So all in all I doubt she actually cared all that much about Conrad. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

Also, the conversation with Conrad and Cade. Did he know her dad was an addict? Because if not, you’d think he’d have questions like “what? Rehab? Really?” But he acted like he wasn’t surprised. And I know cheating is awful but I found it a bit hypocritical for Cade to divulge a secret she’s been keeping from Conrad and expect forgiveness and understanding, only to walk out on Conrad when he shares a secret of his own. 

Cheating on her is about them. Her secret was visiting her dad in rehab, divulging someone else's personal medical state. Not really the same.

Conrad is a cheater now and Billy acting like she's innocent and didn't participate in the cheating was just as ridiculous. 

• Like 1

The whole thing between Conrad and Cade, cheat or no cheat, was very soap opera-ish. This show paints Conrad as a super hero and and saint, and every episode has to have a "good feeling" moment. Most episodes end with people understanding each other, people fighting the "bad" guys, all in a most unrealistic way.

How convenient that Conrad or Cade never said "I love you". That exchange came straight from the seventies, next one of them will say "Love is never have to say I'm sorry". People throw those words willy nilly all the time, but then, to save face, to look good and "fair" those are the ONLY signs that there is not REAL commitment. I guess the writers are teenagers who haven't lived long enough. 

Kitty buying pizza ad salad to rally overworked people against the governor is a lost battle - except that the show will make them win. Unrealistic. Budget cuts don't appear from air. If they don't cut the department - which is ridiculous being a public hospital, cutting emergency trauma - people will get fired.

AJ is a narcissist, or at least that' who he was when he first appeared. Of course, Saint Conrad might have blessed him with goodness, so he changed. Not seeing Padma's PPD would be in character for him, but maybe not the new him. The writers can do whatever, the character is inconsistent. 

Devon and Leela together are like two robots. One of them cries and frowns, but they are robots. There is no real chemistry, only platitudes and words of support and love. Words, not feelings. The relationship is so unreal and unbelievable, they should just break them up, give them personalities

The show is bad. No Bruce Greenwood makes it almost impossible to watch, even when hate watching

• Like 4

There were some nice moments in the episode, the best being that as the old doctor was dying, he appeared at the foot of the bed as his old self, teaching his former students who he considered his children. I like that he told his students to stay with the patient as he died and not to hand him over to nurses. (One of them more unrealistic things on the episode but I appreciated it.)

I liked the moment at the end of Conrad and Billie getting on the elevator and Conrad reaches for her hand and there's a few moments of hesitation before Billie takes it because as far as we know, she's never been in this kind of relationship and doesn't know the rules.

Very cheesy but also nice was the scene where Lillian sees what's left in her purse, no wallet (anvil!) but still her lipstick, bus pass,and Werther's, leading kit to decide to keep fighting. "You can't let some jerk just takes what belongs to you ... When I know what's right, I'm all in." I gotta admit, it was nice to see a story about an older person who still has not only all her marbles but also her gumption. I know older people who are losing it but I also know ones pushing 90 who have more energy and more moxy than I have.

"...because I cannot condone vegan cheese."  Well said Kit.

A sop to those of us who are too sentimental but I'm glad that James is with Cade and not alone tonight.

"Devon said that we didn't see it because Padma didn't want us to." And because you're self-centred egoists lacking the will to put  yourself in another person's situation.

24 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

If Chastain closes the ER to Level One Trauma... either people start dying in the streets looking for hospitals (which fyi ain't good for the governor who closed the public ER due to spite) or the private hospitals with level one trauma centers actually have to do their jobs... and or explain to the public why Person X died in the street because they weren't accepting trauma cases.

I wish it were so. But history has shown that if the governor or other person in charge is more interested in making a statement, not homelessness,or people dying or being without power is going to make a difference.There are more mass shootings in the US than there are days in the year and nothing changes.

• Like 7

There's quite a bit of prestige associated with being a Level One centre which would help with any outside fundraising and with recruiting top doctors like AJ and Devon. Closing the ER is basically giving up being an alpha hospitla and starting the decline into being second or third rate.l

• Like 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Very cheesy but also nice was the scene where Lillian sees what's left in her purse, no wallet (anvil!) but still her lipstick, bus pass,and Werther's, leading kit to decide to keep fighting. "You can't let some jerk just takes what belongs to you ... When I know what's right, I'm all in." I gotta admit, it was nice to see a story about an older person who still has not only all her marbles but also her gumption. I know older people who are losing it but I also know ones pushing 90 who have more energy and more moxy than I have.

While it was nice to see that spunky old woman, in real life it's wiser and safer to just give up the damn purse.  Just like now, police officers are telling people it's best to surrender their keys when they're being carjacked.  It sucks to have to do that, but the main thing is to stay alive.

• Like 3
On 1/4/2023 at 8:04 PM, Frisky Wig said:

I was surprised that AJ, being a doctor, didn’t have more compassion for Padma’s mental illness. Although, that’s not his specialty and he likely has very little training in MI. At the same time, this is a medical TV drama though and any doctor can have any speciality (ie, perform any surgery) whenever the script calls for it! 

That surprised me, too.  I can understand that his first thought would be for the safety of the babies.  That's a natural reaction.  But his next thought should have been, "Padma is sick; how can I help?"  If she had a brain tumor that caused the same symptoms, he'd be all over it trying to help.  It seemed like he had to be talked into understanding that PPD is a hormonal/chemical imbalance, so that it could be a physical ailment he could deem legit.  Maybe I took it the wrong way, but that's the impression I got from that scene.

Since they have chose this story line, I hope AJ has an opportunity to learn more about PPD and mental health. 

• Like 1

I sure hope instead of it being a custody battle, AJ actually tries to help Padma - maybe even if it is just have someone there to help Padma out whenever she is alone with the kids, since he can afford a live-in nanny!

Also, uhhhh, Kit said that Chastain's budget was entirely out of the governor's discretionary budget? How big is that budget?!

She could've always talked to the legislature and gotten some money for Chastain in another bill, too...

It's sort of hilarious that it seems like the two exes are going to end up with each other.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bros402 said:

Also, uhhhh, Kit said that Chastain's budget was entirely out of the governor's discretionary budget? How big is that budget?!

She could've always talked to the legislature and gotten some money for Chastain in another bill, too...

Also, maybe they should have thought a bit more carefully about attacking the guy?

Or, they could double down and go on social media and say he is punishing them for criticizing him and now patients are suffering.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, maybe they should have thought a bit more carefully about attacking the guy?

Or, they could double down and go on social media and say he is punishing them for criticizing him and now patients are suffering.

with the way Kit is acting towards the governor, trending on social media, you think she'd be running for political office with how much she is getting her name out there

On 1/5/2023 at 4:04 AM, Frisky Wig said:

I was surprised that AJ, being a doctor, didn’t have more compassion for Padma’s mental illness. 

I wasn't. Unfortunately, I have come across quite a few doctors who have absolutely no understanding of mental illnesses nor do they show any compassion towards people with mental illnesses.

Edited by christie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, christie said:
On 1/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, Frisky Wig said:

I was surprised that AJ, being a doctor, didn’t have more compassion for Padma’s mental illness. 

I wasn't. Unfortunately, I have come across quite a few doctors who have absolutely no understanding of mental illnesses nor do they show any compassion towards people with mental illnesses.

Edited 26 minutes ago by christie

He's a TV surgeon, so the writers may figure that in his opinion, anything that cannot be repaired surgically is not a legitimate medical problem.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

He's a TV surgeon, so the writers may figure that in his opinion, anything that cannot be repaired surgically is not a legitimate medical problem.

It's not only TV surgeons who feel that way. I know a few real life ones who do too.

• Like 3

While some cases may exist, I’m skeptical when after a death due to suicide there are so many comments that there were no signs, no one saw it, the deceased  was perfectly fine…..it’s difficult to fathom it, especially from a close family member who communicates with them daily and sees how they are not not functioning.  Maybe, it’s just denial.  

• Like 2