Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Family Day

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad comes face to face with Nic's dad, Kyle, after 5 years of no contact when he comes into Chastain with an extremely low heart rate. Billie advises her patient against surgery, but the patient's family ignores her recommendation. Meanwhile, Cade musters up the courage to confront Ian about his addiction and Leela grows concerned about Padma.

Airdate: 12/06/2022

I don’t see how stupid AJ can be to be in such denial about anything being wrong with Padma. 

I also never really bought Conrad and Billie as a couple, especially since Conrad has been so sneaky and dishonest with Cade in going about it. (Not that Cade herself is the pinnacle of honesty.) So you were total enemies with your wife’s best friend and now you’re sharing slow dances and kisses with her behind your girlfriend’s back. It’s almost too convenient, and I really have a hard time buying that Billie loves Gigi. I’d imagine having the time jump didn’t help sell that relationship. 

What kind of hospital allows visitors to just walk into a sterile area and a closed OR? I know TV hospitals seem to have no security ever but come on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

Cade goes on girls’ getaway huh. Is Conrad that gullible to be thinking that Cade actually has girlfriends after years on the run?

Are Conrad/Billie’s shippers gonna be having mixed feelings about that impromptu kiss? The element of cheating will leave a bitter taste to some. Cade really doesn’t deserve this after Conrad reassured her that there’s nothing going on between him and Billie.

This may sound cruel and heartless but I want Padma to jump off the bridge and be gone forever. Her stories are exhausting and not appealing at all. She shouldn’t be having kids in the first place yet she managed to convince her twin under the disguise of being free spirited. She is surrounded by medical professionals who don’t pay enough attention to her declining mental health. How sad is that?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I was happy to see that GiGi toned down her  overly winsome, Manic Pixie Dream Child act for most of this episode. 

I don't care about the Billie/Conrad/Cade triangle though, since I don't like either of the female characters.

I'll be really surprised if Padma actually jumps. Someone will come along and save her, and then she'll become attached to them and want to live with them and it will cause a problem with AJ.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

(Patient's son is yelling in rage)  "Hey, we have grief counselors!"  She should have called security.  

16 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

What kind of hospital allows visitors to just walk into a sterile area and a closed OR? I know TV hospitals seem to have no security ever but come on. 

I agree.  How would he even be able to find the exact OR that Billie was in, much less get to it? Most hospitals have many locked doors that you need ID badges to open.   

• Like 6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, LavenderSunset said:

(Patient's son is yelling in rage)  "Hey, we have grief counselors!"  She should have called security.  

I agree.  How would he even be able to find the exact OR that Billie was in, much less get to it? Most hospitals have many locked doors that you need ID badges to open.   

These days hospitals call in security if you even raise your voice. No way they would have been able to access the operating theaters as every hospital I’ve been in has them pretty tightly secured. 

I prefer Conrad and Billie over Conrad and Cade. Cade is dishonest and has been forever (which is not to say that Billie is issue free). There is also poor chemistry between the two of them and Cade comes across as fairly stiff with Gigi. It would be nice, and more interesting, if they gave Conrad a love interest totally outside the hospital, but I guess that would be less convenient for the writers. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

This may sound cruel and heartless but I want Padma to jump off the bridge and be gone forever. Her stories are exhausting and not appealing at all. She shouldn’t be having kids in the first place yet she managed to convince her twin under the disguise of being free spirited. She is surrounded by medical professionals who don’t pay enough attention to her declining mental health. How sad is that?

I would have been fine with her just taking off, but I don't want her to jump for no other reason than Leela will have angst forever and I don't want to watch that.

4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Gigi was in the hospital room with grandpa, but would a child be able to be in a room alone with a patient?

Probably not in normal circumstances, but Conrad's daughter would probably be able to do anything she wants.

4 hours ago, LavenderSunset said:

On TV there is usually a board that lists all the surgeries. When I had surgery they had a similar thing on a video screen and it had an ID number for each patient so families could look and see the status without giving out personal info. I don't know if it also listed a doctor's name and OR number. But if they knew the general direction they could have just stormed into every operating room until they found Billie.

But that does not explain where the hell security was. They fell down on the job on that, and probably wouldn't have even thought to keep checking video footage for them if not for Conrad.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Bad writing:  was there never any indication before that those two sons psychopaths when their mother was treated before?  Because that sure came out of nowhere.

I know I'm supposed to be invested in Padma, and I do feel sorry for anyone who is suicidal, but what a clusterfuck this whole storyline has been.  Three doctors (Devon, Leela and AJ) and no one figured out how bad shape she was in?  I don't want her to jump because I have no interest in AJ trying to juggle two babies and his job. With this show, he'll hire a nanny and end up falling in love with her.

Why was AJ getting into a pissing contest with the new cardiologist? It was just stupid.  Especially when AJ told him that he would handle the stress test. AJ is a cardio-thoracic surgeon, it's the cardiologist who is going responsible for stress tests. And at the end, telling him that it sucks for him and Cade because Conrad and Billie love each other? If I were the new guy, I'd be rolling my eyes at the presumption.

I've never been a fan of Cade but I got respect for her when she walked out of the session with her father because he was feeding her a b.s. line yet again. I wondered why everyone at the Family Day was telling her what a wonderful guy her father is, and it all came together as she talked about his charm and how he can wow everyone with his ostensible sincerity.

I assume that the scales fell from Conrad's eyes as he say Billie with a sleeping Gigi but wow, what clunky writing. I'm with Kyle who practically rolled his eyes at everyone telling him how brilliant Conrad is. Not good, Conrad, to kiss Billie while you're in a relationship with Cade. I thought that Billie handled it well, just enough to let him know she was not averse but not jumping his bones because yes, he is in a relationship.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

The girl who plays Gigi cannot act. She looks like a child who has been coached to say things in a certain tone, with high pitched voice. It is like they want her to be a very bad version of Shirley Temple.

The thing with the sons was just too much. From the beginning they sounded like a pair of sociopaths. Billie should just have said no to the surgery but on this show the doctors think they are the only ones in the universe who can help patients. I was extremely annoyed with Leela - usually I am moderately annoyed - because she was acting like Billie's counselor and she was the one saying that Billie should do the surgery. The acting on that actor is also so bad, it hurts.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I like Conrad with Billie, and hope they can make it work, especially since Billie has a nice relationship with Gigi.

I don't see Conrad as cheating on Cade. Last time I looked, there was no ring on Cade's finger.

Cheating is just another word for being dishonest. If he doesn't have a conversation with Cade about the kiss, then he is being dishonest. 

A ring is just an ornament. Values do not depend on what people wear

• Love 6

At the Family Day session, Cade said "I'm lying to my boyfriend and I'm lying to my boss." So she considers that they're in a monogamous relationship. especially since when she asked him, Conrad told her that he's only friends with Billie. Conrad needs to speak to Cade about any feelings for Billie as soon as she's up for it.

Speaking of the Family Day visits, those public therapy sessions were completely unethical. Way to air you family's personal issues in public.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:04 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Cade goes on girls’ getaway huh. Is Conrad that gullible to be thinking that Cade actually has girlfriends after years on the run?

High school or college friends? I don't think Conrad put much thought into it.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Speaking of the Family Day visits, those public therapy sessions were completely unethical. Way to air you family's personal issues in public.

Yeah, that was weird. I would never subject myself or a family member to that. Plus, visitors are not bound by HIPAA. Report the therapist because that place is making money and violating a bunch of laws. That's not therapy, it is a bad reality show (not that there is a good one)

• Like 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, circumvent said:

Cheating is just another word for being dishonest. If he doesn't have a conversation with Cade about the kiss, then he is being dishonest. 

A ring is just an ornament. Values do not depend on what people wear

Sorry, but I disagree completely...especially casting him as being dishonest. Conrad has a lot of integrity, so give him more than 30 seconds before he has a conversation with Cade. And IMO, it doesn't have to be strictly about the kiss. He could just say that his feelings have changed, but would like to remain friends.

Of course a ring is "just an ornament"...however, it does bear some significance between committed couples as it relates to faithfulness.

43 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Sorry, but I disagree completely...especially casting him as being dishonest. Conrad has a lot of integrity, so give him more than 30 seconds before he has a conversation with Cade. And IMO, it doesn't have to be strictly about the kiss. He could just say that his feelings have changed, but would like to remain friends.

Of course a ring is "just an ornament"...however, it does bear some significance between committed couples as it relates to faithfulness.

I didn't say he should have talked to Cade before. He can have the week, or however much time until the next episode, how's that? He still cheated on her. A light one, "just a kiss", but a kiss is an intimate thing, a ring is an object that was invented as a symbol of propriety and has nothing to do with intimacy.

Rings only bear significance to those who put too much symbolism in them. I never got a ring, never wanted one, although I was legally married and faithful for the whole time, until his death. The fact that my finger was "empty" never once crossed my mind when I rejected the opportunities when I could have cheated. By the way, if we were discussing a teenager show, a high schooler with a boy/girlfriend kissing another class mate, we would say it was cheating too.

The meaning does not change because of the way we see the character. The definition is about the act.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2022 at 12:46 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

I like Conrad with Billie, and hope they can make it work, especially since Billie has a nice relationship with Gigi.

I don't see Conrad as cheating on Cade. Last time I looked, there was no ring on Cade's finger.

So unless you're engaged, snogging another person isn't cheating even if you're in a committed relationship?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

So unless you're engaged, snogging another person isn't cheating even if you're in a committed relationship?

Correct.. Because they weren't in a committed relationship. As someone else put it, they were simply friends with benefits...because Cade appeared to be more "committed" than Conrad.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, circumvent said:

I didn't say he should have talked to Cade before. He can have the week, or however much time until the next episode, how's that? He still cheated on her. A light one, "just a kiss", but a kiss is an intimate thing, a ring is an object that was invented as a symbol of propriety and has nothing to do with intimacy.

Rings only bear significance to those who put too much symbolism in them. I never got a ring, never wanted one, although I was legally married and faithful for the whole time, until his death. The fact that my finger was "empty" never once crossed my mind when I rejected the opportunities when I could have cheated. By the way, if we were discussing a teenager show, a high schooler with a boy/girlfriend kissing another class mate, we would say it was cheating too.

The meaning does not change because of the way we see the character. The definition is about the act.

A kiss is only as intimate as one makes it out to be. I kiss my family & friends all the time. None of it is "intimate" IMO. 

A ring is just a piece of jewelry. But that specific piece of jewelry means something to certain people, and not so much to others. IOW, it's subjective as you put it. But since the  majority of society sees that ring as symbolism equal to a commitment, I stand by my previous post that Conrad owes/owed Cade nothing more than a "let's be friends" conversation because in no way did that brief, impromptu kiss with Billie constitute cheating IMO.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, LtKelley said:

I would't call it cheating because Conrad and Cade's relationship hasn't been established as that serious

Hasn't she spent the night, or wasn't there a conversation about being ok for her to spend the night at Conrad's house? I don't really remember but if it happened, or almost did, Conrad is being clueless about someone else, which shows a lack of empathy (understanding someone you are in an intimate relationship with), or he is being irresponsible, bringing a lover home where he lives with his young child, when all he wants is a casual fuck. The writers tend to portray Conrad as an almost perfect super doctor, so I guess they don't want to show him as an irresponsible father (having people overnight in itself is not an issue to me, but when kids are involved, it goes into a different territory, because feelings and age appropriate understanding are not simple things)

My guess is that the kiss was a one-time thing for now. Cade will come back so disturbed by the encounter with her father, she will lean on Conrad who will not be forthcoming with her because he will feel sorry for her (being the alpha he is, he will see Cade as a damsel in distress that needs to be treated as a porcelain doll). It is just another build up to more drama to extend this triangle plot, to exploit yet another cliche in TV shows. I would like to be wrong. Surprise me, writers.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, LtKelley said:

Respectfully, if you're not engaged, and or have made verbal commitments similar to being engaged (ie "We're dating exclusively", "I'm only seeing X right now", "We are living together" etc) then you're not in a committed relationship. I'd call Cade a friend with benefits that Conrad was beginning to get serious about. I'd put Billy in a similar place, really.

I don't think saying you are dating exclusively is anything close to being engaged. But I do agree that if you haven't established a commitment you aren't really in a committed relationship. But we don't really know what conversations Conrad and Cade have had or what either expectations are. 

Conrad did offer to introduce her to Gigi though, so I think that puts them at more than friends with benefits. When he was sleeping with that other woman last season she always snuck out of the house before Gigi woke up. That was friends with benefits. I don't think what Conrad did was that terrible though, as long as he tells Cade right away

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/8/2022 at 1:18 AM, circumvent said:

The thing with the sons was just too much. From the beginning they sounded like a pair of sociopaths. Billie should just have said no to the surgery but on this show the doctors think they are the only ones in the universe who can help patients. I was extremely annoyed with Leela - usually I am moderately annoyed - because she was acting like Billie's counselor and she was the one saying that Billie should do the surgery. The acting on that actor is also so bad, it hurts.

I agree, Billie should have said no to doing that surgery. Not only was it too risky but it was obvious to anyone who can read a room that those two were only hearing what they wanted to hear and would cause trouble if it didn’t go their way.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 12/10/2022 at 7:40 AM, circumvent said:

I think that once Conrad finds out Cade lied to him yet again, this time about her father as Conrad already had concerns about him and those concerns were largely dismissed by Cade, and Conrad realizes the extent to which Ian was endangering lives whilst operating on Benzos and who knows what else, he will at least want a break from her. He certainly can’t trust her at this point. During the break between them and he once learns the full details about Cades’s “girl time,” which was to actually see Ian in rehab, he will feel even more deceived by her yet again and the mistrust will grow. After he actually kissed Billie, Cade’s lies are likely to just push him more towards Billie. Again, I don’t think Billie is without flaws either, but at this point, unless someone new (and preferably outside of the hospital - however unlikely) is introduced as Conrad’s new love interest, I think he’s better off with Billie than with Cade and Billie seems much more natural with Gigi than Cade does as well. 

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, statsgirl said:

I know I'm supposed to be invested in Padma, and I do feel sorry for anyone who is suicidal, but what a clusterfuck this whole storyline has been.  Three doctors (Devon, Leela and AJ) and no one figured out how bad shape she was in?  I don't want her to jump because I have no interest in AJ trying to juggle two babies and his job. With this show, he'll hire a nanny and end up falling in love with her.

I completely agree. I really wish they had developed the Padma storyline better, but all we got was one episode of her being overwhelmed and both her sister and co-parent who are supposed to be her support system not supporting her at all. Then she's off screen for a few episodes, only mentioned in passing, and suddenly she's suicidal. Last year we spent so much time with her and now when her story gets very serious she's sidelined and not taken seriously whatsoever. I just can't get invested like this.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

So I have a different issue with the brain cancer plot - Billie talked to the sons first, with eye contact towards them, then she talked to the patient. The patient did not seem altered in any way - and she consented to the operation herself, so why was Billie talking to the sons instead of her patient? The doctor should look at the patient when talking while explaining it in easy-to-understand terms for the whole family - and look at the family occasionally, not the other way around.

I am also wondering why nobody has even mentioned PPD - they're all doctors! She's been a flashing neon sign "I am so overwhelmed!" "I can't handle this!"

So, odds of next episode starting with her van being hit, which makes her get off of the bridge and be like "wtf why did you hit my van, dude?"

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, I don't see the big deal here, especially when we're talking about unmarried people.   People break up because one partner becomes interested in someone else.   It happens.  The only sticking point in this particular situation is that they all work in the same place, so that could get messy.

The network chose an interesting rerun (6.E02, Peek and Shriek) to show following this episode.  

Padma was in the hospital on bed rest, and freaked out thinking she hadn't felt the babies move.  Leela checked her out and the babies were fine.  That's when Padma told her she was terrified and hadn't thought it through when she decided to be a mother.  She was scared and overwhelmed and struggling with her decision.   Fast forward to now, and we have Padma scared and overwhelmed and struggling. 

They also had a scene between Conrad and Billie in the elevator where he asks her if she thinks Nic would be ok with him seeing Cade.  He told her she was Nic's best friend so every time he sees Billie, he feels like Nic is watching him.  That was making him question himself, and wonder if Nic would approve of him moving on.  Billie told him Nic would want him to be happy.  Fast forward to now, and Billie is the one who makes Conrad happy.  I wonder if he still sees Nic every time he sees Billie.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 2

Yes, Cade and Conrad are dating.  Yes, he’s denied feelings for Billie in the past.  A person he didn’t feel was available for him ever.  Then Billie gets attacked.  He acted on those feelings and spontaneously kissed her. Then she went inside.  That was it. 

What happens next determines if Conrad is cheating - or immediately breaking up with Cade.   Sometimes people spontaneously act on their feelings while still involved with a boyfriend/girlfriend.  If they immediately break off the first relationship, it’s part of the reason for break up. If they intentionally begin or continue a new relationship without breaking off the old one, that’s cheating. 

It also depends on the commitment level of the old relationship - spontaneously acting on your feelings is cheating at engagement or marriage level. You’ve committed to a person  being ‘the one’.  You’ve committed to not spontaneously or intentionally acting on feelings for other people.  We don’t even know if Cafe and Conrad committed to being exclusive.  She sure didn’t seem to want to have anything to do with Gigi.   When did we ever see them together?