Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search


S01.E01: The Ship


AnimeMania
  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

I'd forgotten just how hot Andreas Pietschmann is. Love seeing him in a lead role here.

Eyk just seems perpetually haunted. I'm glad he has Maura to help him steady himself.

I enjoy Rosalie Craig as an actress. She does a good job of making Mrs. Wilson very smarmy. Ángel also radiates a charm that quickly curdles into smarminess.

Loving all the cast so far. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
Edited to rephrase a couple of comments
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I didn't find this as grabby as the first episode of Dark but that's a high bar. I'm still very intrigued.

I concur with everyone on the appeal of Andreas Pietschmann, who looks made to brood in a pea coat. I also really like Emily Beecham's Maura.

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Being from the people who made Dark got me interested in this, and the trailer really pulled me in. The first episode has me officially hooked, I am trying to decide if I want to binge this or stretch it out. I really find this time period interesting and I'm a sucker for ghost ships, so this was pretty much tailor made for me. 

Plus, a very hot very broody Andreas Pietschmann in period clothes! Hello...

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yeah, you should definitely explore the lost ship in the dark of night. Like it's not creepy enough.

I'm half-way through the second episode now and I have no earthly idea what is going on. 😄I strongly relate to the officer characters who look perpetually confused and put out by the strange goings on and the odd behaviour of their captain.

Edited by Kirsty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

I'm onboard.

Boo! But also ha!

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Plus, a very hot very broody Andreas Pietschmann in period clothes! Hello...

He does tortured hero so well. I don't know if I would've been as interested in this show if he wasn't anchoring it.

  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I was confused by the dubbing in the beginning.  Netflix automatically put it on dubbing instead of subtitles.  So I paused after about 15 minutes, and googled to see what language this was originally in.  I ran across two articles explaining how everyone is speaking their own languages, and that watching it without the dubbing supposedly is truer to how the show intended to be.  So I turned off the dubbing, and I think it is better to watch with just subtitles.   It also makes you pay attention to the screen.

So far, I like it.  This is one of those shows I can only watch at night, though, because so many scenes are shot so damn dark.  I like the initial set up of our weird cast of characters and have no idea where this will all lead.  Love the sets, love the costumes.  I don't know why they just used the year as the title of the show, as it seems this could be set anytime in a 50 year time span.  Not sure what significance 1899 has, or if we'll ever find out.  But, so far, I'm in.

Emily Beecham reminds me a bit of both Rosamund Pike and Nicole Kidman, a bit of a mash up of the two. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I never watch with dubbing and needed clarification when it began in English. I checked my settings, and dubbing was not on. I then realized that people speak their native languages, and the language will change with character.

Link to comment
On 11/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Kirsty said:

Yeah, you should definitely explore the lost ship in the dark of night. Like it's not creepy enough.

Lol I couldn't understand why they didn't wait until daylight!

11 hours ago, chaifan said:

Emily Beecham reminds me a bit of both Rosamund Pike and Nicole Kidman, a bit of a mash up of the two. 

Yeah she kept reminding me of Rosamund Pike.

8 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I never watch with dubbing and needed clarification when it began in English. I checked my settings, and dubbing was not on. I then realized that people speak their native languages, and the language will change with character.

Same here - I never watch with dubbing anyways, but when my coworkers recommended this show they also reiterated not watching it with the dubbing. I was super confused when it started in English - I thought my settings were wrong!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/28/2022 at 7:48 AM, chaifan said:

I was confused by the dubbing in the beginning.  Netflix automatically put it on dubbing instead of subtitles.  So I paused after about 15 minutes, and googled to see what language this was originally in.  I ran across two articles explaining how everyone is speaking their own languages, and that watching it without the dubbing supposedly is truer to how the show intended to be.  So I turned off the dubbing, and I think it is better to watch with just subtitles.   It also makes you pay attention to the screen.

I'm not sure who does the dubbing here, I'm assuming Netflix (it's probably at the end of credit sequence, too lazy to check) and I generally find theirs to be pretty questionable. Babylon Berlin for example should not be watched with full english dubbing IMO. :)

Link to comment
On 11/28/2022 at 9:11 PM, Natalie25 said:

Lol I couldn't understand why they didn't wait until daylight!

On 11/28/2022 at 9:48 AM, chaifan said:

I love the one nameless sailor who kept being like "are we sure we want to go onto the creepy abandoned ghost ship in the dead of night?" and then asked for the priest to come along. He's apparently the one guy who's ever heard a ghost story and knows exactly what they're walking into. 

  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have the same problem with this as I had with Dark and why I couldn't get through a single episode of that show. The german dialogue is extremely stilted and nobody talks like that in real life. I feel like I'm watching a bad theater play written by a hack.

Is the english dialouge just as bad and I just don't notice because I'm not a native speaker or did the creators hire some actually talented writers for the other languages?

Other than that this has way too many languages with subtitles. As I've gotten older my ADHD has gotten worse and I have a hard time focusing long enough to watch shows or movies with subtitles. If I'm going to power through subtitles I might as well finally watch Squid Game or finish FMA: Brotherhood.

Also they really didn't draw me in with the mystery. I don't give a damn what happened on that ship. They never gave me a reason to care about it. Like a character having an emotional connection to what happened there and no the doctor hinting at it is not enough, neither is just sticking a child into the last scene.

So I think I'm out.

Link to comment

Started my rewatch.

Frick and Frack shoveling coal in the engine room crack me up. 

Eyk & Maura drew me in from minute 1. The little half smile he gives her when she challenges him on who made the rules about where passengers could and couldn't go, was so sweet

Angel seemed immediately intrigued by Krester when K burst into the dining room. 

So delighted by that one sailor - I think his name is Eugen - who was like 1) we need to take a priest with us, and 2) even with a priest, I ain't going to the Prometheus. I feel you, bro.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 7:53 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

 

I have the same problem with this as I had with Dark and why I couldn't get through a single episode of that show. The german dialogue is extremely stilted and nobody talks like that in real life. I feel like I'm watching a bad theater play written by a hack.

 

Interesting take. As someone who speaks German, is married to one, lived there, and spends an outsized amount of time hanging with native Germans, nothing struck me as odd about the dialogue. Herr Dr. Chickabiddy felt the same way. And he and our son are big Dark fans. Perhaps it’s a question of Geschmacksache. ;-) 

  • Useful 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...