Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: Boarderie; Ride FRSH; ActionGlow Lights; Legacy Shave Brush

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

First into the Tank are entrepreneurs from West Palm Beach, Florida, who guarantee their artisan cheese and charcuterie board delivery business will impress and be the perfect gift for any event. Entrepreneurs from Los Angeles present their subscription-based product line designed to keep cars fresh and vibe while one drives; while brothers with an affinity for action sports from Traverse, Michigan, hope to lead the way with their stylish lighting kit for sporting equipment designed to keep people safe at night. Last into the Tank is an entrepreneur from St. Clair Shores, Michigan, who offers the ultimate shaving experience with his all-in-one solution designed to refresh and enhance all shaving needs.

In a "Shark Tank" update, Mika Bertholdo from Celina, Texas, and her investor Emma Grede have an update on ooakshell, a one-size-fits-all, multifunctional hair accessories.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Robert Herjavec.

Sharks: Lori, Robert, Kevin, Barbara, Mark

1-Boardererie Cheese and CharcuterieB-- artisan cheese and charcuterie board delivery service.  I bet Hickory Farms and Harry & David don’t like their pitch.   I suspect if they sell out, it will be Williams Sonoma, or Harry and David, the boards are way higher than Hickory Farms.  Just empty the little bags, in the same place they are in the board.  They have small, medium and large.   Not custom, so they can do 3,000 a day.  2- day order and ship.   Small $91 $154 to dealer, and almost $300 retail.   Online order only, Williams Sonoma, Costco, are partners. Sales are $4 million this year, about 10% profit.  They want to get their own customer database.   They want $300k for 5%.   I think this would be so good on QVC, with their easy pay option.  Mark says the best deals are the least needy entrepreneurs.

Lori makes the deal 9% for $300k.   Mark suckered her into making the deal by saying 10%, and Lori went to 9%, from 13%.

2-Ride FRSH Car Air Freshener-Subscription service to keep cars fresh.  Stylish air fresheners, unique scents, and designs.  They want $200k for 5% stake.   Mark is out after they pitch an air freshener for a rival team.   It’s all online subscription.   $1.1 million in sales in 3 years.  Autozone will sell at 2,000 of their 6,000 stores.   Subscription service is for convenience.     Great margins.  Lori says it’s male oriented, so she’s out.  Robert can’t stand air fresheners.    Barbara pitches $200k for 25%.  

(Mark apologizes, that’s nice of him.  The two pitchers must have thought their remark was funny, but it wasn't.)

Barbara makes deal for $200k for 20%

3- Action Glow -Lights for sporting equipment to keep you safe at night 200k for 15%.  They can go on snowboards, skateboards, bicycles, surfboards, kajaks, for 8 different equipment uses.   All aftermarket, and apply in 5 minutes.  They show a pitch they filmed as teenagers.  Right now there’s only one color, but they want to improve that.     They’ve only done social media, they need inventory help.  Barbara says to put effort into social media.   Kevin warns about knockoffs, and having to constantly defend their patent.   Lori tells the pitchers not to blow the deal with Robert.

Robert makes the deal $200k for 30 %

4-Legacy Shaving- Cream and Brush combined-$300k for 10%  patented.   Brush exfoliates, and avoids razor burn.   The brush system fits every size on the market for every manufacturer. Margins are great.  100,000 units, and $1 million in sales over 5 years.  Their patent doesn’t just cover the shaving industry, but all aerosols for every industry. 

Lori makes an offer.  A royalty deal, $1 million for 100% of the company, and a royalty of 3% to pitcher forever.  I wish Daymond was on for this one, he’s the king of licensing deals.  Mark calls it Schmuck Insurance, for retaining 5%.  Kevin says if Lori sells out to another company, pitcher will get the royalty deal paid off.

Lori makes the deal for $750k, and 5% equity for the pitcher and his family.

Update: Ooakshell, hair accessory, adjustable headbands, that Emma Grede invested in. This is one I thought would do well.   She moved from her mom’s house for production and mailing, to a manufacturer, has a lot of contracts now.  Emma helped her with marketing, and everything else.   I’m so happy for her, and her family.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

$220 for a board of fancy cheese?  No thanks.  Plus the name is awful. Boarderie?....I know it's supposed to be like charcuterie but it's an awful name 

The car freshener idea I liked but hate the subscription model and for an updated version of an old product they are pretty plain and ordinary looking outside the NBA logos added. 

Shaving thing....pass.  and he should have taken the million.  

I like the light up accessory for boards/etc but agree with Mr wonderful, patent or not, it's going to be knocked off quickly. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

I guess I missed something but what was so unique about the Gift Basket- the design? Big deal, anyone can do something similar. I don't get the 2 Brothers with the Air Freshener starting off their Presentation basically insulting Mark Cuban even if they meant it in jest? You don't do that to anyone you don't know, period. To me that showed lack of common sense & for that reason I wouldn't want to be in business with them no matter what the product. The other 2 brothers to me did not have a ready for market product.

• Love 1

Charcuterie boards have been all the rage for a few years, so not sure how long the craze of “curated” boards will last.  I mean, cheese and crackers, with cured meats, nut, fruits, have been a staple at parties and events for decades.  Now we just gave it a fancier name and arranged the goodies a little more artfully.  Honestly, anyone can make one.  There are TikTok and YouTube how to’s galore.  And I have made large boards to feed 15-20 people for much less than $200.

The air freshener was odd to me as a subscription.  I pick up those little trees in a 3 pack at my grocery store.  Or some other brand/shape.  I have never once woken up in a cold sweat because I was all out of car fresheners.  They are everywhere when I need or want one.  I did like their spin on new scents though. And Mark Cuban is an unmitigated asshole. Does he allow his players or coaches to stomp off in a huff when someone hurts their widdle feewings?  

The lights look cool and make sense as a safety feature, but I think these already exist? a I think there was even  a pitch or two on Shark Tank for the same kind of safety light system.  Would I really be surfing or paddle boarding at night?  That seems pretty unsafe in the first place, no?

Shaving guy seemed sweet and he had a great story.  Glad he got a deal, and I get why he didn’t want to sell out completely.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I have never once woken up in a cold sweat because I was all out of car fresheners.

This made me laugh and laugh.😂 I have a bunch of the air fresheners from Bath & Body Works. Invariably, when I realize I don't smell it in my car anymore, I try to remind myself that I need to replace it. And then I forget about it until the next time I'm in my car. This dance with myself goes on for several months.

Lori saying that the air fresheners were male oriented and that she didn't want the square in her car was one of the most bizarre things she's ever said. And she invested in the shaving contraption even though she would normally say, "I'm not a man who shaves so I'm out."

Mark lashing out about the not-Mavericks air freshener was so beyond. Either the presenters didn't do their homework, or it was a joke that didn't land. They had a second not-Mavericks team on some of the air fresheners, but I guess he didn't look at that. I like the good things he's done as a human—I use his prescription service, snd it saves me SO MUCH money—but he's just so delicate about the oddest things.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

"And Mark Cuban is an unmitigated asshole. Does he allow his players or coaches to stomp off in a huff when someone hurts their widdle feewings?" - Busy October

You don't get it. You don't insult someone you don't know even if it's in jest if it's for an investment or a job, etc. Cuban was totally right & he called the guy up on it. How stupid could that guy be? If you go for a job interview or go to a new barber, etc., you don't start out insulting them even if it's in jest. Cuban was not an asshole at all. Who would want to invest in/go in business with someone who insults you?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Mark lashing out about the not-Mavericks air freshener was so beyond. Either the presenters didn't do their homework, or it was a joke that didn't land. They had a second not-Mavericks team on some of the air fresheners, but I guess he didn't look at that. I like the good things he's done as a human—I use his prescription service, snd it saves me SO MUCH money—but he's just so delicate about the oddest things."

I can't believe how you people are misinterpreting the obvious. The guy insulted Cuban about "The Mavs Not Winning" or words to that effect which was maybe said in jest but you don't insult someone you don't know. That's why he said he was out not because the freshener was another team name/logo. Laurie had an excellent point about the smell geared only to men.

What puzzles me, I'm a non-driver, is if Air Fresheners for cars are available everywhere based on what was posted here, why is their product unique and worth investing in?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, hifihifi said:

I can't believe how you people are misinterpreting the obvious. The guy insulted Cuban about "The Mavs Not Winning" or words to that effect which was maybe said in jest but you don't insult someone you don't know. That's why he said he was out not because the freshener was another team name/logo. Laurie had an excellent point about the smell geared only to men.

What puzzles me, I'm a non-driver, is if Air Fresheners for cars are available everywhere based on what was posted here, why is their product unique and worth investing in?

The air fresheners had different scents, than the pine/vanilla, etc. Tree shaped ones.   Plus you could have your favorite sports team on it (no, I don't care about that either).    The standard ones that sell everywhere seem to lose their scent quickly too, so I'm hoping the FRSH ones hold the scent better. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I just re-watched the beginning of the air freshener segment. The camera showed Phoenix Suns and L.A. Lakers air fresheners. Then the guy on the right held up the...I wanna say Golden State*...air freshener and said, "This one...smells like winning. Sorry, Mark." All the other Sharks laughed, particularly Kevin.

PXL_20221119_152928938.thumb.jpg.b98d7da03e2f3720bab31d1039fba302.jpg

I fully understand that you don't indirectly "insult" a potential investor, but it seemed like a "joke" that just didn't land with him. He's a bad sport, pun intended, with his "shot clock" nonsense. The presenters that have anything remotely licensable pander to him and his team—Did you know he owns the Mavericks? It's not like he tells everyone during every episode—so I'm not going to be upset about him literally getting his feelings hurt.

I find them all to be thin skinned, especially when it comes to another Shark outbidding them. If anyone they employed acted upset about every small grievance, they'd be fired for "not fitting in with the workplace culture." Trust me when I say employees that point out problems get shitcanned, as I am one.

*Yes, I had to look up the Suns and Golden State logos, because I hate sports.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I fully understand that you don't indirectly "insult" a potential investor, but it seemed like a "joke" that just didn't land with him. 

Exactly. If this had been a real world pitch, the teasing would be beyond stupid and certainly ill advised. But this is Shark Tank, where making light jokes at the investors’ expense is a way of life. Shortly after this pitch, the shaving brush guy made some bald joke targeting Kevin, and Mark practically rolled out of his chair laughing. It’s only when the jabs are aimed at him that they’re insulting and unprofessional. Mark is not just a baby, he’s a hypocrite baby.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 13

The stuff about Kevin's baldness has been repeatedly going on the show for years & he finds it funny schtick & almost encourages it. No other shark to my knowledge has ever been personally joked on. Again, the attempt at insult humor of Cuban wasn't necessary & Cuban rightfully wasn't pleased. If an entrepreneur had joked about Robert's divorce, I'm sure Robert would have acted the same way as Mark.  Bottom line is you don't make business deals with people who insult you, even if made in jest.

• Applause 2
15 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Charcuterie boards have been all the rage for a few years, so not sure how long the craze of “curated” boards will last.  I mean, cheese and crackers, with cured meats, nut, fruits, have been a staple at parties and events for decades.  Now we just gave it a fancier name and arranged the goodies a little more artfully.  Honestly, anyone can make one.  There are TikTok and YouTube how to’s galore.  And I have made large boards to feed 15-20 people for much less than $200.

Italians have been making them for centuries: it is called antipasto.

They also didn't tell us how many people those boards were expected to feed. The large size looked to me as though it wouldn't provide for more than 2 people if it was only going to just be served with wine or cocktails instead of as an appetizer before a complete meal. $115 per person for antipasto? That's ridiculous. Even if they were trying to feed four people, it is still grossly overpriced. Fancy cheeses are maybe $25/pound, and they weren't giving you anywhere close to even a quarter of a pound (but they cut it into cubes for you; apparently, we have become too lazy to do that ourselves or even buy it already cubed at the grocery store). They also didn't tell us if they were selling an actual quality cutting board or if the base was just throw-away cardboard. That might help to justify the price somewhat but not much.

They seemed to think that projected sales of $4million was impressive; however, it comes out to fewer than 18,000 units per year. Are they going to run their 1.5million-dollar production facility less than 1 week a year to accommodate those huge (sarcasm) sales numbers? 

Also, one of their selling points was that they didn't offer customization. Why is that a good thing from the consumer's viewpoint? I want to choose what I'm serving, and I have dietary restrictions that would preclude the "one size fits all" approach.

Finally, they said that Lori was the snark they came in wanting a deal with. To me, that shows a lack of common sense and business acumen. She'll bully them into doing things her way regardless as to what they want the same way she has done with her other deals. The guy crying over the pandemic also left me feeling more than a little underwhelmed with him.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think this would be so good on QVC, with their easy pay option. 

If you need a payment plan in order to serve hors d'oeuvres, then you probably shouldn't be entertaining.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, eel21788 said:

If you need a payment plan in order to serve hors d'oeuvres, then you probably shouldn't be entertaining.

That is so right, it would be a cold day in hell I would spend $300 and up on snacks for four people.     They make so many options at the grocery store deli case, you could easily do your own board.   My grocery store has lots of presliced and cubed cheese, sausage and coldcut selections, so you just buy it, plop it on a tray, and you save at least 75%, and can feed so many more people. 

The options, sizes, and types of charcuterie boards they sell on their website tell how many people it can feed, However, I suspect the number of people the website claims can eat off of a particular tray is for people eating very little.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Who is spending $300 on a pre-made charcuterie board? And you have to buy a board each time, unless they sell the packaged foodstuffs by themselves. I can get a nice cheese spread at Smith's for $9.99 laid out on a cardboard circle that can be slid off intact, pick up some grapes and meats and then put it all together on a board.

Light packages seem to be popular for everything. I mostly see them on cars but yes I can see lots of teens and college students who like to jazz up their skate/snow boards. Mark is right about the knockoffs. It's up to the people who own the patent to defend it and take the ripoffs to court.

Not interested in the air fresheners or the shaving brush. At least that guy gets a good payoff.

The shaving brush pitcher having the patent for all aerosol cans is a huge potential for future sales.   I think Lori will license it out to many manufacturers, and then sell out to one of the big manufactuing companies, and she will make a bundle.   Since the pitcher still has 5% equity, he'll make a bunch too.   

This is pretty much the deal for the lady with the diaper cream cap, that people were complaining about Daniel (the Kind bar owner) did where he wanted the entire company.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
36 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The shaving brush pitcher having the patent for all aerosol cans is a huge potential for future sales.   I think Lori will license it out to many manufacturers, and then sell out to one of the big manufactuing companies, and she will make a bundle.   Since the pitcher still has 5% equity, he'll make a bunch too.   

This is pretty much the deal for the lady with the diaper cream cap, that people were complaining about Daniel (the Kind bar owner) did where he wanted the entire company.

There is a difference, though.  Lori offered a 3% royalty into perpetuity as well as the $1m purchase price.    Daniel didn’t even care about her product.  He just wanted the one feature and would let the product die.  And I don’t think he offered anywhere near $1m, let alone a royalty.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2

It was a good thing I was already sitting down when the cheese board presenters said their small size sold to customers at about $200.  What???  That was crazy-even in an upscale restaurant it wouldn't be that much.  Like others, I just get different cheeses and meats at the grocery store deli and put my own together (and there are prepackaged ones by Columbo or a similar Italian deli meat company).  Also, if it's not customizable how often will customers return for the exact same product?  I think Lori was not the right pick for them-they should have gone with Kevin due to his "Chef Wonderful" line along with his wines.  I see him quite often selling food items (and wine) on QVC.  I think he has built up his food and wine line quite a bit.

Robert was the right shark for the sports lights brothers.  I'm glad they got a deal and I think they could do well.  Barbara was right-they need to get on social media.

I hope Lori does right by the Legacy Shave guy.  

On 11/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, hifihifi said:

I can't believe how you people are misinterpreting the obvious. 

Just because some people may have a different perspective doesn't mean they are misinterpreting anything.  Some of us may view this in the same way we view the "jokes" about Kevin being bald and the other jokes made about him and the other sharks.  In fact, I would say that making "jokes" about someone's appearance or other personal characteristics are way worse than making "jokes" about a sports team someone owns.  However, I do admit that this is my perspective and it is A-OK with me if others view it differently.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5

I’ve read all the nuanced comments so far, but I’m sticking with my first impression of Cuban on that episode. He’s a big old baby with thin skin who can’t take a joke and takes himself way too seriously. It’s a car air freshener, for Pete’s sake.
Cry more, you big baby. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

The point is you don't make a "joke" at the expense of someone you want to invest in your company or product. No one in real life is that stupid.

Cuban acted correctly. Why would anyone want to partner with someone who tries to make you the butt of their joke? Please answer that.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

2-Ride FRSH Car Air Freshener-  Mark is out gets pissy after they pitch an air freshener for a rival team.  

FIFY

2-Ride FRSH Car Air Freshener- Autozone will sell at their 6,000 stores.   

I think it was only at 2,000 of their 6,000 stores.

4-Legacy Shaving- Mark calls it Smuck Insurance, for retaining 5%.  

Actually, the spelling should be "Schmuck"

On 11/19/2022 at 7:44 AM, BusyOctober said:

Shaving guy seemed sweet and he had a great story.  Glad he got a deal, and I get why he didn’t want to sell out completely.

Quite a contrast from douche-bro collared polo shirt guy from last week!

On 11/19/2022 at 8:03 AM, bilgistic said:

Lori saying that the air fresheners were male oriented and that she didn't want the square in her car was one of the most bizarre things she's ever said. 

Gotta say I'm with her.  It looked like a parking pass!  I think they are missing an entire market by not considering something that would be more appealing to women, but from looking at their website, they all still look like that.

"The point is you don't make a "joke" at the expense of someone you want to invest in your company or product. No one in real life is that stupid." Reply: "Shark Tank" isn't "real life."

Yes it is to the extent that you're asking people (The Sharks) to invest their real money & time in you. Why would someone you tried to make the butt of a joke want to do that?

"The Mavericks losing a game is the same as a divorce? Ok, whatever. I maintain that real word rules do not apply here, it’s an entertainment show. But that’s all I have to say about this."

It's an entertainment show but the goal of The Entrepreneurs is to get a Shark to invest their time & money in them not to entertain the viewing audience. You don't get someone to invest their time & money when you make them the butt of your joke.

14 hours ago, hifihifi said:

The point is you don't make a "joke" at the expense of someone you want to invest in your company or product. No one in real life is that stupid.

Cuban acted correctly. Why would anyone want to partner with someone who tries to make you the butt of their joke? Please answer that.

Okay, I'll answer that. They weren't making him the butt of their joke. I'm guessing they have licensed a limited number of sports logos for their product so far and that team was one of them, maybe even the only one. (I didn't look closely enough to see others.) Perhaps they even tried to license the Mavs and didn't get it for any number of reasons -- just speculation. They wanted to show that sports logos are an appeal for some customers, and they made a very lighthearted acknowledgement to Cuban that it was his rival. So lighthearted, in fact, that all the other sharks were befuddled as to why Cuban was upset. 

If they had come out and nastily told Cuban that his team sucks, then yes, that would be a stupid thing to do when asking someone to invest. But they didn't do that. It's a well known trope of Shark Tank that it's good for the pitchers to be jokey and fun, even referencing known facets of the sharks' lives or preferences. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers even coached them to make that little quip.

It came off very much as a super billionaire bully demeaning a couple of entrepreneurs who neglected to suck up to him in exactly the way he demands.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

FIFY

I think it was only at 2,000 of their 6,000 stores.

Actually, the spelling should be "Schmuck"

Thanks, I fixed it.   2,000 out of 6,000 Autozones is still pretty good, but I wonder how long the contract for selling the air fresheners is for 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 11/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They make so many options at the grocery store deli case, you could easily do your own board.   My grocery store has lots of presliced and cubed cheese, sausage and coldcut selections, so you just buy it, plop it on a tray, and you save at least 75%, and can feed so many more people. 

I don't know if it's coincidental, but this is what appeared on my home page today:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/10-best-costco-appetizers-finger-foods-to-buy-for-the-holidays/ar-AA14nnHu?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=415a5e2895d844659c9dc2508a4a7480

• LOL 3
On 11/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The options, sizes, and types of charcuterie boards they sell on their website tell how many people it can feed, However, I suspect the number of people the website claims can eat off of a particular tray is for people eating very little.    

Now that I have done a forensic examination of their website (I fully realize I have way too much time on my hands), I know I am definitely not their target market.

The boards are actually wooden trays, which they claim should be a "keepsake" that should be reused for "future grazing." However, they don't sell any of the product without sending you a new tray with each order. How many of those trays need to get stacked up in your kitchen cupboards before you come to the realization that you can refill them yourself instead of reordering a new tray from them?

They sell 2 smalls: one with 5 kinds of cheese and 2 kinds of meat, the other with 7 kinds of cheese and no meat; both include a 4oz box of crackers and 8 "accompaniments" (dried fruits, nuts, cured olives, marmalade, etc). Although they are both supposed to serve 3-4 people, the meat-free tray is more expensive per pound ($82.65 per pound) than the tray with both meat and cheese ($76.44 per pound). The tray without meat also provides less food per person than the one with meat (6oz-8oz per person versus 6.75oz-9oz per person).

They sell 2 mediums: one with 7 kinds of cheese and 2 kinds of meat, the other with 9 kinds of cheese and no meat; both include a 4oz box of crackers and 9 of the accompaniments. Although they are both supposed to serve 5-6 people, this time the meat-free tray is less per pound ($72.69) than the tray with both meat and cheese ($77). The tray without meat also provides slightly less food per person than the one with meat (5.5oz-6.6oz per person versus 5.8oz-7oz per person). Both provide you with less food per person than the small trays.

The large size does not have a meat-free option. It has 13 cheeses, 4 meats, 17 accompaniments and 3 boxes of crackers.   It is supposed to serve 10-12 at $60.69 per pound for 5.25oz to 6.3oz per person. This is also less food per person than the small or medium trays.

The majority of what is on the list of accompaniments sounds like something I would never have any desire to eat. Unless I know the other people eating with me want to eat Dijon Pistachios, Dried Tangerines, Turkish Figs or the like, I'm not willing to spend that much money on something I don't get to customize to my tastes. In addition, the large board only has 2 Pepperoncini on it. If that's supposed to be shared among 10-12 people, I can see it leading to some arguments among the pickled pepper lovers (which doesn't include me).

Incidentally, I just came back from the grocery store where they had a 28oz Hormel platter with just meats, cheeses and crackers for $16.99. That comes out to $9.71 per pound. If it is also supposed to serve 3-4, it would cost $2.42 to $3.24 per person instead of the $32 to $43 per person these people charge. I'm sure I could find some good nuts and fresh fruit to go with it and still stay way below their price point. Them delivering it to my door two or more days later also isn't a selling point for me and doesn't begin to justify their prices.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I bet if I went to my local grocery store (Publix, so not the cheapest option, but has great products), and bought meat and cheese trays, or precut meat and cheese in the fancier packs, and some little packs of nuts, and then get a small fruit tray from the deli, then I could get a cheap wooden cutting board, and make a very nice charcuterie platter for a whole lot less, and have it ready in an hour.    Add a pack of two of crackers, and it wouldn't cost me $100.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2022 at 9:14 PM, hifihifi said:

Maybe no one in real life is that stupid, but almost every contestant on Shark Tank must be, because I can't remember the last time I saw an episode that didn't include a contestant cracking a joke at the expense of one of the Sharks. Usually Kevin, but sometimes others as well. I've never seen any of the other Sharks get offended or go out because of that. They take it as a joke because they know the show is about entertainment as well as business. I'm sure they watched the show and figured it was expected behavior to do something like that even though it wouldn't be done in a normal business meeting. 

Also, they didn't make Mark the butt of their joke. They made his stupid basketball team the butt of a joke. Mark is an oversensitive baby. Maybe they weren't the smartest investors for not realizing Mark is more thin-skinned then every other Shark, but you can't say they are dumb to make a joke when it happens all the time on the show.

To answer the question of why you'd want to partner with someone who makes a joke about you, the answer would be a) to make money and b) to show you have a sense of humor and are a good sport.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

The charcuterie lady was talking about how hard it was to market to existing customers when they didn’t have the contact info, but I think the board issue people have brought up is a big one too.  How many boards do you really need?  And once you get their board and containers, just refill the from your local grocery.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Now that I have done a forensic examination of their website (I fully realize I have way too much time on my hands), I know I am definitely not their target market.

The boards are actually wooden trays, which they claim should be a "keepsake" that should be reused for "future grazing." However, they don't sell any of the product without sending you a new tray with each order. How many of those trays need to get stacked up in your kitchen cupboards before you come to the realization that you can refill them yourself instead of reordering a new tray from them?

So they make their money on the useless boards just like those useless vases the flower delivery companies put their bouquets in. I just looked in the garage & counted 12 of them & add in the load that have been broken or just thrown out it's ridiculous. If I send flowers to my mother in the UK via the same US company that I use to send flowers to my wife it's half the price for the UK as there is no vase included unless you request them delivered in one.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

So they make their money on the useless boards just like those useless vases the flower delivery companies put their bouquets in. I just looked in the garage & counted 12 of them & add in the load that have been broken or just thrown out it's ridiculous.

Check any thrift store if you want to find a graveyard of used vases which is where I see most of their boards ending up, too. 

12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Harry & David, which is known for this kind of stuff, has a whole selection of charcuterie and cheese collections. Some even include wine, although only a few have the board. If I was going to get an expensive, yuppie charcuterie spread I would be much more inclined to trust them.

Harry & David: $120; 66oz food; meat, cheese, crackers and accompaniments that are geared towards a less sophisticated palate (such as mine) cutting board that is actually reusable; option to add wine; 2 day shipping included

Boarderie: $129; 28oz food; meat, cheese, crackers and accompaniments I would never eat; wooden tray; 2 day shipping included

So much for her claim that they are the only ones who can get their product to your door two days after you order it!

• Love 3

4-Legacy Shaving- Cream and Brush combined-$300k for 10%  patented.   Brush exfoliates, and avoids razor burn.   The brush system fits every size on the market for every manufacturer. Margins are great.  100,000 units, and $1 million in sales over 5 years.  Their patent doesn’t just cover the shaving industry, but all aerosols for every industry. 

Lori makes an offer.  A royalty deal, $1 million for 100% of the company, and a royalty of 3% to pitcher forever.  I wish Daymond was on for this one, he’s the king of licensing deals.  Mark calls it Schmuck Insurance, for retaining 5%.  Kevin says if Lori sells out to another company, pitcher will get the royalty deal paid off.

I think that it was 700K, not 750K. I like how the other sharks helped him see how to keep that 5%. I would love an update on this in the future.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:39 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

$220 for a board of fancy cheese?  No thanks.  Plus the name is awful. Boarderie?....I know it's supposed to be like charcuterie but it's an awful name.

I'm so glad to see so many of you agree with me that their prices were bonkers. I was surprised that none of the sharks called them out on that. Agree that the name is dumb.

Lori saying that the air fresheners were male oriented and that she didn't want the square in her car was one of the most bizarre things she's ever said. And she invested in the shaving contraption even though she would normally say, "I'm not a man who shaves so I'm out."

"I'm not a man who shaves so I'm out."

That made me laugh 😃

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

$220 for a board of fancy cheese?  No thanks.  Plus the name is awful. Boarderie?....I know it's supposed to be like charcuterie but it's an awful name 

18 hours ago, aemom said:

I'm so glad to see so many of you agree with me that their prices were bonkers. I was surprised that none of the sharks called them out on that. Agree that the name is dumb.

The guy mortgaged his home, his business and took out an SBA loan to finance this business (formerly called Cheeseboarder: https://news.yahoo.com/gouda-news-south-florida-caterer-180300079.html).

I was waiting for someone to ask him how much he needed to sell each month just to make all his loan payments. They also should have asked them why they spent so much money on their processing facility when they didn't have enough orders to come even close to it being a necessity. They also pared their offerings down from 14 SKUs to 5 with the new facility. Is that progress?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/18/2022 at 7:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Legacy Shaving- Cream and Brush combined-$300k for 10%  patented.   Brush exfoliates, and avoids razor burn.   The brush system fits every size on the market for every manufacturer. 

Lori makes an offer.  A royalty deal, $1 million for 100% of the company, and a royalty of 3% to pitcher forever. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, aemom said:

I think that it was 700K, not 750K.

The guy comes is asking for $300K for 10% of his company, and Lori sets the value up with him losing $300K to receive 5% of her newly acquired company. (She wanted $1M for the whole company but dropped it to $700K when he wanted 5%; $1M minus $700K = $300K which was his investment to receive 5% equity from her)

She totally ripped in off. None of the snarks would ever make that deal for only 5% equity, why should he?

• Like 1

Last time I was at my Publix grocery store, I looked at the deli case of meat and cheese, and olive assortments.  I bet I could do one of the $200+ charcuterie boards for $50, max $75 if I really packed it tight, and with more layers.    Not only would I save a lot of money, but I could make another charcuterie board with the same base, any time I wanted to, and wouldn't have to worry about shipping, or when it will arrive. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:35 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They showed the Boararie/charcuterie board on GMA this morning, it's on Oprah's favorite things, and the link on there is to Amazon.  I think $100+ to just under $300, is a ridiculous price.  

Good for Oprah. Being one of the richest women in the world, she really doesn't need to be worrying about how much per pound she is spending on noshes for her guests, now does she? Does she think it is the sort of thing average Americans should be aspiring to?

Women do shave their legs and under their arms so it would be useful to them as well