Type keyword(s) to search

Annika - General Discussion

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

On 10/25/2023 at 3:32 PM, statsgirl said:

Another is how the classic references are woven in, from Norse myths to Greek tragedy to Sir Walter Scott when they visit Edinburgh.

I got a Jeopardy answer correct last night because of Annika's mentions of the Waverly novels.

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

think you’re wrong about that. She stayed in the UK as a teenager after her parents went back to Norway. But her previous interactions with Michael were when they were both police officers. So presumably mid 20s which would make Annika 40 something now. 

That makes more sense,  but I thought I had heard Annika say conflicting things in the episodes. And then at least the Tellyvisions writer thought the same thing "Annika does not get along with her parents at all; disappointing them by having Morgan at 15, insisting on joining the force at 17, and breaking away from the life they mapped out for her" https://tellyvisions.org/article/annika-season-1-episode-3-recap

• Useful 2

Annika and Michael were both working on the Marine Homicide Unit when they had their hook-up. Annika left to work elsewhere and came back to head MHU. In the first episode of the show she said that it could be uncomfortable working with Michae since he also applied for that job and thought that he had more right to it as he had never left while she did.

She couldn't have been 15 because she was already a working copper.

• Like 6
On 10/27/2023 at 10:22 PM, statsgirl said:

Annika and Michael were both working on the Marine Homicide Unit when they had their hook-up

Isn't it a brand new unit? 

In any case the consistency in this show is not huge,  since in an earlier episode Michael said his kids were 18 and 12, and the two they have showed are clearly not. 

• Useful 2

I don't think the MHU is new, because Michael was upset that he didn't get the leadership job, since he was there already. He thought he should have been promoted instead of them bringin someone in from outside. 

Also, everyone seemed to be used to working together, and Annika was the new face in charge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The crime part of this episode was completely underwhelming.  The focus is on the Annika and Michael drama. It was interesting that instead of comparing the RLS Classic of the episode to the crime part, Annika compared it to herself and Michael.   But I hope this isn't going to be the focus of the entire season.

When will Michael tell his family?  When will Annika tell Morgan?

• Like 2

I find Michael's dilemma interesting -- he probably wants to Morgan that he is her father right away but she hasn't asked and he has to respect that.

I don't know if the MHU is now or not (couldn't find the information) but we do know that Annika and Michael worked together before. And since Michael asked when she thought it happened, it was more than a one night stand.

Ukweli Roach, who played Tyrone, is moving to the BBC series Wolf. to play the lead Dr. Jack McCaffery, in a sense moving to another unit to head it up.  He also played the FBI psychiatrist in Blindspot.

If anyone feels like baking, krydderkake recipe.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
43 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

And since Michael asked when she thought it happened, it was more than a one night stand.

I did laugh at their listing of the various locations where they hooked up. It sounded like a rollicking relationship.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I thought Annika and Michael's exchange at the end was poignant. 'I didn't want a father who doesn't love the mother, and then doesn't love the child' she said; he paused, then said 'Shame'.

It seems possible that they both loved the other, but for 'reasons', didn't want to say the words. Things might have gone differently.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Given the age of Michael's kids (at least the 18 year old that he mentioned but have we seen? But who is older than Morgan), it would have been an affair.  So even if they loved each other, it wouldn't have been clean and easy to be together. 

16 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

Given the age of Michael's kids (at least the 18 year old that he mentioned but have we seen? But who is older than Morgan), it would have been an affair.  So even if they loved each other, it wouldn't have been clean and easy to be together. 

It was established above, his kids are 8 and 12. Marriage, apparently between 12-16 yrs ago. (ages of his older girl and Morgan).

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I just watched Season 1 Episode 1, and Michael says his kids are 8, 10 and 12. I thought we saw three at some point, but I can’t recall for sure.

Just rewatched and subtitles for the fail. I usually watch with them, and the ones on pbs  showed"18 and 12" but 8, 10, and 12 makes much more sense with what Annika responded about him and his wife having a routine.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
14 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

Just rewatched and subtitles for the fail. I usually watch with them, and the ones on pbs  showed"18 and 12" but 8, 10, and 12 makes much more sense with what Annika responded about him and his wife having a routine.  

This is Annika's type of humour, not standup comedy.

• Like 1

This is beginning to remind me of the Ruth Galloway books series by Elly Griffiths; a heroine, a forensic archaologist, having an unplanned child with a married DCI officer with children. He knows, but his wife only deduces it somewhat later on. Great book series.

• Like 1

Episode 2.4

Annika reflects on 1984 when the team is flown to the Hebridean islands to investigate the death of a man found in a block of ice.

Harper: "I transferred from Edinburgh to join your team; weren't you told?"

Michael: "Annika likes to wait a few years before she tells me the big stuff."

😆

Harper: "I had a marine scientist crunch some numbers for us."

Annika: "At six o'clock in the morning?"

Harper (deadpan): "She has kids. She was up anyway."

😆

Harper: "Mostly like white, male, middle-aged,:

Michael: "Where did you get that bit?"

Harper: "He's dressed like you."

Beyond the homicides, it's a very funny show.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 12
  • LOL 6
10 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I'm glad that Harper joined the team, I had a feeling she would.

The scene where Morgan was awkwardly leaving Blair really reminded me of how Annika acts at times.

Yes, she really seems to be adopting her mother’s penchant for awkward social comments.

9 hours ago, J-Man said:

So PBS felt the need to blur out the apparently "adult" humor on the whisky bottle's label. Does anyone know what it said?

Is it possible that the distiller used the tattoo? I forgot who made the whisky.

• Like 1

The rest of Annika's team are unaware of what she said in the comedy club, and Michael walking out? Even if no one in the club knew Annika and Michael, the story could spread, and someone could recognize the descriptions of A & M.

I LOVED the 1984 references and I'm really enjoying her book comparisons overall.  Such a novel way to flesh out the stories & provide context.  

And like Annika back with Jake.  Though he seems to look quite a bit older this season than last season.  Still perfectly age appropriate & I like his humor.   Harper is a really good addition.

The dialogue was hilarious this episode and I just wish I had a Scots accent. 

So are we betting Annika's dad is going to spill the beans to Morgan about Michael?  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I love her references to classic literature too.  I've actually learned a few things.  She was very funny in this episode.  So was Michael, actually.

I don't know what it is about Jake, but I don't really care for him.  I think he seems smug.  But Annika didn't ask me. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

And like Annika back with Jake.  Though he seems to look quite a bit older this season than last season.  Still perfectly age appropriate & I like his humor.   Harper is a really good addition.

I thought he looked a lot older as well. I hope the actor has not been ill.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I like the new addition to the team. Annika continues to crack me up. I love her little asides and comments. I also love her relationship with Morgan. For me, the case is always secondary to Annika's comments to the camera and her interactions with the team and with Morgan. 

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I must have missed it, but was it ever explained how the victim's body, encased in ice and weighing more than a few ice cubes, was removed from the freezer and dumped in the ocean?

The murderer and his wife had the means to create and move huge blocks of ice (which she then sculpted). They found out she was not involved, but in her sudden acknowledgment that her husband must be guilty, and her ranting during labor pains she said that a block she intended to work on was inexplicably not frozen after two days. I assumed that block was used by the husband to get rid of the body.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Daff said:

I assumed that block was used by the husband to get rid of the body.

Or the freezer was used to freeze Rowan (?) instead of the ice for the sculpture. Since they were always freezing and moving giant blocks of ice, the husband must has had some mechanical means to lift them.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, SnapHappy said:

So are we betting Annika's dad is going to spill the beans to Morgan about Michael?  

Would he know that Michael is Morgan's father? I thought Annika was distant (both physically and emotionally) from her parents since she was in high school. Telling them exactly who Morgan's father was when she apparently told no one else would be odd.

• Like 7

I'm glad Michael told Astrid.  Also glad she didn't freak out but asked perfectly understandable questions.

I loved Annika's dad.  I wouldn't want him as my dad and I totally get why she's estranged from him, but he was fun to watch.

Also loved Annika's Norwegian swearing on the motorcycle ride.

And yeah, never eat food your kid brings home from Home Ec.  Especially not fishcakes. 🤢

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1

Now that's a cliff-hanger. And for help, Annika turns to the audience.

There is a 'blink and you'll miss it' moment when they are throwing pictures up on the screen and Annika says "And we need to look at him" and it's a picture of Magnus and Morgan, and she says that no, not him and tries to take it down.

They did well casting Sylvie Furness as Morgan. She's good an in the interviews aired after the show she showed a surprising depSth of understanding.

I couldn't remember where I had see then actor playing Nair before. Looked it up, he was MacBuff on Upstart Crow.

Six episodes a season are not nearly enough.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Six episodes a season are not nearly enough.

THIS!!!

I was getting suspicious of the [Annika's] boyfriend wanting to move in-- so fast! Doesn't he have a house of his own? Who is this middle aged professional who has absolutely no apparent material encumbrances and would just move in like that? He walks around with a backpack like a runaway teenager. 

Anika's dad being... that bad... seemed really out of nowhere. 

I kind of liked that Morgan was more interested in the potential of acquiring a sister than a dad.

• Like 11

I was just staring at the photo of the Dad, thinking it was the old arsonist and he really was the guilty party, and then I thought that maybe the diver wasn't really dead (no body recovered) and he had come back years later.  It wasn't till I watched the interviews after the end that it was made clear to me.  Sometimes I'm clueless.  This had better lead to another season.

"Because I deer-ly love you"  Oof.

7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

"Because I deer-ly love you"  Oof.

It took two watchings before I got that. This show is so good.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was getting suspicious of the [Annika's] boyfriend wanting to move in-- so fast! Doesn't he have a house of his own? Who is this middle aged professional who has absolutely no apparent material encumbrances and would just move in like that? He walks around with a backpack like a runaway teenager.

Yes!!! Anyone who wants to move in so fast has got a ton of baggage that we haven't seen yet. (Also I'm pretty sure that having a relationship with Annika much less moving in so soon is against psychologist's ethics rules.)

Morgan: I'm the daughter of a detective."

Annika: "Two detectives."

I hope they avoid a pissing contest over Morgan between Michael and Jake. I want everyone to get along, and I'm a fan of Astrid.

• Like 4