Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

DearEvette
  • Start Topic

Five years ago, Bode burned down everything in his life, leaving town with a big secret. Now he's back, with the rap sheet of a criminal and the audacity to believe in a chance for redemption with Cal Fire.

Airs October 7th on CBS

letter-d.jpg

Well...they tried.

I mean, there's still a possibility that this could work. The elements are there. The acting all around was off the charts and the show at least somewhat kept my attention.

They just did a whole lot standing around and talking, throwing a random fire into the mix, thinking that's enough to make this a "fire show". Uh, we'll need a lot more than that.

I also think a lot of the drama was fueled by characters being stupid. W. Tre Davis did very well as Freddy but the character did little more than pout and scream and get saved by everyone else. Bode (Max Theriot) also risked his sentence punching Jake...I mean, after spending the entire episode being calculated and ensuring he didn't get into too much trouble (except to save Freddy), he goes and does that?

Also, I'm not sure about Gabriella...Stephanie Arcilla did great but I need to know the show will do more than just put her in an awkward love triangle between Bode and Jake.

In short...there may be a good TV show in this mess. Pilots usually are...but this was quite the mess. Its success will hinge on how well it unravels that mess.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I liked this. It kept my attention and I liked the characters

Same. Enjoyable story, it kept my attention, and I liked the characters. I appreciated they didn't drag out why Bode left or that the woman (Captain?) is his mom. I'm better Billy Burke is his dad. 

• Love 3

I liked it. I like the topic, and I was impressed by how many things they squeezed into it, without making me feel like I couldn't keep up. How does it feel like it's paced in a relaxed way while they're in a crisis and rushing and emotions are running high at the same time? No idea, but I liked it.

I don't know anyone's name yet except for Bode, so it's hard to talk about specific characters, but the least interesting part, for me, is Bode's backstory. I like the storytelling possibilities of the complexity of people who did something terrible and are trying to do better, but I found the reveal about his mother, and the business with the break up/car accident/punch to be stupid drama rather than interesting drama. It feels like tv angst and made me find everyone involved much less interesting the moment they revealed that part of the story.

I really liked a lot else about it, though. So I'm hopeful.

But the fact that they launched it on a Friday night makes me think the network doesn't really have faith in it and is just burning it off. So that's concerning. THey did run ads, though, so maybe I'm wrong about that. I hope so.

I love that they talked about goats and lack of cell service and other details that I happen to know are real but are never talked about on TV, where cell service is everywhere and low tech things like goats are rarely on the radar. I also liked the view into prison issues, like being unable to get heard or contact your lawyer, and the system changing what they told you without any warning or explanation, and the ADD guy with his impulse control and concentration issues-- lots of people in prison have untreated medical issues that make it hard for them to function despite motivation to do so.

I didn't like the bit about "I love you/don't stay here for me" and then how easily she just let him convince her it was nothing. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Same. Enjoyable story, it kept my attention, and I liked the characters. I appreciated they didn't drag out why Bode left or that the woman (Captain?) is his mom. I'm better Billy Burke is his dad. 

Judging by her 5 stars I am guess the Chief of all of Cal Fire, or close enough to the top to chair the advisory board as she can't make the purchase of a bulldozer on her own authority.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

but I found the reveal about his mother, and the business with the break up/car accident/punch to be stupid drama rather than interesting drama. It feels like tv angst and made me find everyone involved much less interesting the moment they revealed that part of the story.

I can see that. The take-away for me was that Bode was back in the small town he left. Did he commit the crime in this town or did he do it elsewhere after he left? The impression I got from the break-up/accident/mom reveal is that he up and left and no one knew where he was. Or maybe they knew he was in prison. I understand in a moment of shock Vince (Billy Burke - thanks, Google) asked Bode what was he doing there but the orange clothing should have been a clue.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Judging by her 5 stars I am guess the Chief of all of Cal Fire, or close enough to the top to chair the advisory board as she can't make the purchase of a bulldozer on her own authority.

Thanks!

I love that they talked about goats and lack of cell service and other details that I happen to know are real but are never talked about on TV, where cell service is everywhere and low tech things like goats are rarely on the radar. I also liked the view into prison issues, like being unable to get heard or contact your lawyer, and the system changing what they told you without any warning or explanation, and the ADD guy with his impulse control and concentration issues-- lots of people in prison have untreated medical issues that make it hard for them to function despite motivation to do so.

Same.

I have my own thoughts on CalFire and what this show is about that I hope they touch on down the road. I'm glad CalFire is getting attention and I hope they bring in CA Conservation Corps as a partner for some storylines.

But the fact that they launched it on a Friday night makes me think the network doesn't really have faith in it and is just burning it off. So that's concerning. THey did run ads, though, so maybe I'm wrong about that. I hope so.

Most shows that I love get cancelled. I wasn't going to watch because my first impression was it was going to be a take on Chicago Fire which isn't my thing. But I really like it and hope this is the show that breaks the cancellation cycle.

• Love 2

I watched because of Max, I like him on SEAL Team. I didn't get to see past the part when Max saves the guy by putting him into his fire-shield bag so thanks guys for posting what I missed.

Side note: When I was a magazine journalist, I did a story on a company in southern Indiana that makes those fire bags, it was a side part of their tent-making business and a government contract. Theirs were silver reflective material, like space bags. The ones on this show looked like they would burn up.

Two things that got me. NO ONE would mistake an all-white goat for a bear. What, they couldn't find a black or brown goat? Plus goats are herd animals, they don't wander off to graze independently. Those brush-browsing goats come in herds of multiple animals, not one single goat.

The other thing that bothered me was Body never put on his helmet, or waited as long as he could so we could see his full face. I noticed he was one of the show's creators so yeah, give the star and show owner all the "face time" he can get!

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Most shows that I love get cancelled. I wasn't going to watch because my first impression was it was going to be a take on Chicago Fire which isn't my thing. But I really like it and hope this is the show that breaks the cancellation cycle.

Welp, it won't get cancelled right away. Apparently the ratings were very good.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I don't know how long they can keep the premise going, but I liked it well enough.   Probably the best of the 3 new CBS shows this season.  I did think it was a little far fetched that Bode wouldn't get parole on a robbery charge, especially when the victim spoke on his behalf. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I liked it.  But then I like Max and Billy.   
I don’t think Freddy saw the goat  and mistook it for a bear. I think he heard the goat  moving around and assumed it was a bear- city person mistake.  

The only thing I didn’t like- the two fire officers ( Gabriella’s Dad and Billy Burke) are too similar in appearance at this point. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Seems to be an audience on CBS for this kind of programming - Hasn't hurt Blue Bloods or S.W.A.T. I don't know if it has changed markedly but CBS skews somewhat older so they probably have more of an audience that either stays home on the weekend OR doesn't have streaming services. This is classic counter programming against NBC and ABC as neither of the other networks as the only series game in town on those time slots - drama or comedy. 

If you look at the CBS lineup for Fall there aren't many time slots that were available and that would work with this kind of show - maybe Sunday where they are airing East New York

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Side note: When I was a magazine journalist, I did a story on a company in southern Indiana that makes those fire bags, it was a side part of their tent-making business and a government contract. Theirs were silver reflective material, like space bags. The ones on this show looked like they would burn up.

How do you get enough oxygen when you're under that thing and the fire is raging all around you?

I liked it, but I really like Max. Loved him on Bates Motel and Seal Team. Really like Billy Burke and I even like Diane Farr in this (she’s a hot or miss for me) so I’m all in. 

My take on the timeline of events was that Riley, Bode’s sister was at Jake’s house when Bode was there to pick Jake up. Riley was crying and upset due to some romantic entanglements.  Bode probably told Riley to get on the car, somehow they crashed and Riley died.  Bode at some point after that left his hometown. He committed his burglary crime after that, probably due to his despondency to his sister’s death. I’d assume his parents knew he was in jail because his mom picked up pretty quick that the “con” was Bode. 

On 10/8/2022 at 11:16 AM, theredhead77 said:

I can see that. The take-away for me was that Bode was back in the small town he left. Did he commit the crime in this town or did he do it elsewhere after he left? The impression I got from the break-up/accident/mom reveal is that he up and left and no one knew where he was. Or maybe they knew he was in prison. I understand in a moment of shock Vince (Billy Burke - thanks, Google) asked Bode what was he doing there but the orange clothing should have been a clue.

I took his “what are you doing here” to be why was he back in town since Bode obviously left to get away from everyone. When you think someone’s left for good and they pop up, no matter the circumstances, it’s pretty common to ask “what are you doing here” when you are shocked to see them. Im sure he even realizes Bode wouldn’t have chose to go back there, which was why Bode was trying to get out of there the whole episode. 

The tears from Bode’s mom did get to me. I bet we’re going to find out she doesn’t blame him for Riley’s death.  Vince’s “why are you here” makes me think he does, or he’s mad that Bode turned to crime. I guess we’ll see!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I took his “what are you doing here” to be why was he back in town since Bode obviously left to get away from everyone. When you think someone’s left for good and they pop up, no matter the circumstances, it’s pretty common to ask “what are you doing here” when you are shocked to see them. Im sure he even realizes Bode wouldn’t have chose to go back there, which was why Bode was trying to get out of there the whole episode. 

That's what I'm saying. The orange clothes should have indicated to Vince that Bode was back due to the prison fire fighter program but in that moment of shock, he asked what are you doing here.

I liked it. It was definitely a pilot but it had enough potential to keep me watching for a couple more episodes at least. I had a hard time keeping track of characters besides Bode and kept getting Bode's Dad and Gabriella's Dad mixed up even though I definitely know who Kevin Alejandro and Billy Burke are. 

So Bode failed a parole hearing for a robbery even though the owners spoke up for him? I guess that's to show that whilst he's a felon he really is sorry and that he didn't *just* take the firefighter job to get time off his sentence. 

I didn't twig that the chief and Vince being married but once it was revealed that they were I knew Bode was going to turn out to be their son. 

I liked Gabriella well enough and it must be something that many Olympians go through, whether to "put your life on hold" for another 4 years in hopes of a medal or settle down and do something else. Especially if the passion is gone. I'm really not looking forward to a potential love triangle with Bode and Jake with added animus because of Riley's death. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

So Bode failed a parole hearing for a robbery even though the owners spoke up for him? I guess that's to show that whilst he's a felon he really is sorry and that he didn't *just* take the firefighter job to get time off his sentence. 

I didn't twig that the chief and Vince being married but once it was revealed that they were I knew Bode was going to turn out to be their son. 

But the his lawyer suggesting the program after the Parole Board turned him down works against the promos of Bode saying he is in this profession to save lives. He is allowed to be a mercenary like Goat and running away from the family business as well as his home town can work.

With the you all are firefighters hero march we are left to wonder how often does fire endanger the training base town.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

But the his lawyer suggesting the program after the Parole Board turned him down works against the promos of Bode saying he is in this profession to save lives. He is allowed to be a mercenary like Goat and running away from the family business as well as his home town can work.

With the you all are firefighters hero march we are left to wonder how often does fire endanger the training base town.

I didn't remember the promos but I assumed the reason they put the part about the owner speaking up for him as well as that entire speech to Cap was to show that the main character was "worthy" of rooting for. Even though wanting to save money to open a food truck is a perfectly valid reason for signing up for this incredibly dangerous job. Or even wanting to cut down your sentence even if you aren't sorry and prefer Con Camp to concrete walls and barbed wire. 

TV has such a weird relationship with characters who want to leave their home town for any reason (see Gabriella as well) even though many people involved in TV/movie production have left their home towns and moved to LA and been successful. But they message is so often "stay in your tiny hometown and give up your dreams because family." Bode left, possibly for the "wrong reasons" and ended up going down a wrong path. Now he's seeking redemption via the family business. Gabriella feels she choked at the Olympics and now she wants to stay, is getting involved in firefighting, a job at the local bar and a boyfriend with commitment issues.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

It’s weird to me because it seemed that Gabriella was a “home-town” girl, but she and Bode didn’t seem to know each other?  Maybe she and her dad moved in after Bode left, but it seems weird how excited the entire town for someone she was relatively new. 

12 hours ago, Whimsy said:

It’s weird to me because it seemed that Gabriella was a “home-town” girl, but she and Bode didn’t seem to know each other?  Maybe she and her dad moved in after Bode left, but it seems weird how excited the entire town for someone she was relatively new. 

I think she spent her years in Olympic level training in Florida I believe they said. Sort of like the Williams sisters being years away from Compton when Venus  first started coming to worldwide attention

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Didn't she say at one point that she and her Dad moved there after the divorce? That could have been after Bode left. Even if she hadn't been there since she was a kid and had spent a lot of time in Florida training Edgewater could still have gotten excited and given her the key to the city. It's a tiny town with a couple of con camp where people would rather go and get drunk than evacuate during a fire where despite the firefighters getting a full on hero clap the board doesn't think they need dozers. They could use something to celebrate. 

• Love 2

The guy who wanted to save money to open his own business was actually really smart. It's nearly impossible to get hired with a felony record. Likely, starting his own business is the only way. And how would he get financing to do that if he doesn't join this program? No one is giving him a loan, for sure. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

The guy who wanted to save money to open his own business was actually really smart. It's nearly impossible to get hired with a felony record. Likely, starting his own business is the only way. And how would he get financing to do that if he doesn't join this program? No one is giving him a loan, for sure. 

If the show stays true to life the prisoners make between $2 & $5 a day + $1 more an hour when they are fighting a fire. It's more than they make in prison but a far cry from a firefighter salary. And, unless things have changed, they can't become firefighters when they are released.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So, I actually REALLY enjoyed this pilot, more than any other pilot thus far. It's not perfect, but I know what I'm getting when going into it, AND it was intriguing enough where I'll gladly stick around for a while.

I appreciate that they kept the Bode twist out of the promos and other clips. I remember seeing the clips of Bode punching Jake, so I had assumed that Jake stole Bode's girlfriend. So it being a twist where Jake was dating Bode's sister? That makes me happier. 

Now, I agree with others that Bode's five year sentence doesn't really make sense for him to be doing this inmate program for less time. He should be able to get out earlier (and him not getting parole despite the guy he robbed spoke highly in his favour?) so this program wouldn't really help him with that. However, even despite this, I enjoyed the predicament he was in.

I liked Bode's parents, and I liked Eve. I'm on the fence about Jake and Gabriella and her father, but they're probably all fine. I just expect some sort of love triangle now with Bode, Jake and Gabriella, something I'm not looking forward to.

But honestly, really strong pilot, very surprising in how much I liked it and I think I will definitely be sticking around.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, saber5055 said:

The ones on this show looked like they would burn up.

The silver one during the actual burnover was a real fire shelter.  The green ones shown earlier were training-only shelters.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:51 PM, eel21788 said:

How do you get enough oxygen when you're under that thing and the fire is raging all around you?

It's not that difficult really.  Unless there's an actual firestorm going through, you can do alright underneath one, although it's extremely uncomfortable.  I say this because early in my career I convinced my captain to let me demonstrate the use of one in live fire (just grass, though).  I know others who went through brush fires, and I knew one guy who died because he didn't have gloves on, and couldn't keep the shelter pinned down in the wind.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:53 PM, theredhead77 said:

Given the current state of CA and the location of this town, probably pretty frequently.

The actual training center at Jamestown, CA does exist in extreme fire country, grass and oak woodland, but in real life, the center personnel would jump on it straight away and burn out all the way around the center to protect it.

• Useful 6

I'm catching up here, as I didn't even know about this series, which is a bit embarrassing as I retired from CalFire, although 7 years ago.  Don't worry, I won't nitpick the show to death.  I realize it's meant to appeal to the usual CBS demographic, and it strives to be entertaining.

Props to the writers for including actual conservation camps in the dialog.  High Rock is in Weott, Humboldt County, just around the corner from the fictional Edgewater Camp.  Valley View is in western Tehama County.  And the radio traffic is more or less actual.

Loved the inmate saying "You get the key to the city for finishing 14th?"

Lompoc is a federal prison.  They don't transfer inmates to state custody.

Bode is just a little too independent to be an inmate.  They know that the Captain is God, essentially, and you disobey him at your peril. And punching a free person gets you a ticket back to the big house, no matter what anyone says later.

• Love 6

So I saw the promos on CBS and thought, ‘oh great, another Chicago FIre. Hard pass.’ But I’m home with Covid and bored so I decided to stream the pilot. Figured if it sucks I just won’t watch the rest of the series. To my complete surprise, it didn’t suck. In fact,I liked it. As others have said,I’m not really here for the Bode/Gabriella/Jake love triangle but I’ll roll with it for now. 

one thing that impressed me is they actually fight fires on this show. With real water and everything lol! That’s been such a gripe about Chicago Fire, along with grown ass people behaving like children. I’ve now watched all eight episodes and am looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1