Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E21: Reading is Fundamental

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean have possession of a Word of God, but are unable to read it. They find a young prophet that can help, but unfortunately, the angels and leviathans are after him, too.

I like the introduction of Kevin.  I wonder, though, with the death of Bobby and Frank, and the introduction of Charlie and Kevin, if the show isn't trying to appeal to a younger audience.

• Love 1

All I can think now when I watch his introduction is,

poor Kevin, your life is gonna be so much crap from now on and then you die

Seriously, Dean, there is thunder and lightning and you STILL keep hitting? Poor Kevin. He just wanted to be president.

I never not laugh at Sam running after Kevin and getting Metatron and Megatron wrong.

Edited by CuriousParker
Tagged Spoiler
  • Love 1
I never not laugh at Sam running after Kevin and getting Metatron and Megatron wrong.

That and the phone call between Castiel and Meg. "I'm surrounded by large unhappy dogs...."

And, of course, "Did you know that a cat's penis is sharply barbed along its shaft? I know for a fact the females were not consulted about that." 

• Love 1

I always laugh at Dean's "what is that?" And Sam's response of "Kevin Tran. He's in Advanced Placement. "

I like the episode and how Sam and Dean end up with a loony Castiel, a clueless prophet and Meg.

• Love 2

I really like this one, there's a lot of silliness balanced nicely with the serious. I like Kevin's introduction and I even like his girlfriend..."This isn't one of those overachiever-teen meltdowns, is it?" I'm also fond of crazy Cas and greatly amused by both the pull my finger and playing sorry bits. I also liked Kevin's "This looks like a sex torture dungeon. Is this a sex torture dungeon?" and Dean's talk about how being the chosen one sucks. There's really a lot of ground covered here, but it doesn't feel too rushed.

A couple more lines of fun to end on (other than the ones already mentioned)....

• "You seem troubled. Course, that's a primary aspect of your personality, so I sometimes ignore it."
  • "I don't fight any more. I watch the bees."
  • "We were assigned to watch the earth. Often, it was boring. The wars were very boring and the sex – you know, the repetition."
  • "We live in a 'sorry' universe. It's engineered to create conflict. I mean, why should I prosper from... your misfortune? But these are the rules. I didn't make them."
  • Love 2

Oh man that entire "Sorry" scene is rather heartbreaking despite the comic underpinnings. Jensen kills me here because he is so hurt and confused and wanting to understand what is happening with Cas. It was all in his eyes.  And then he just breaks. When he swipes the game off the table, I get startled because it was sudden and furious. One of my favorite Cas/Dean scenes

• Love 2

"This looks like a sex torture dungeon. Is this a sex torture dungeon?"

No Kevin, just a regular old torture dungeon.

Man, if I look at Kevin's life after he became prophet because Dean and Sam couldn't leave the tablet alone, I'm so miffed.

It starts with missing a test and just goes downhill from there. His ghost should have haunted their asses for all eternity in the LOL. Penance for not letting him stay in season 8.

• Love 1

The first say 10 to 15 minutes of this ep are spent explaining everything that's happening to us like were to stupid to follow along or maybe they realized how uninteresting the plotlines were and decided to help us out, either way. Also screw cannon, Kevin realizes he's been chosen, it's his birthright where as Chuck had no clue he was a prophet.

Sam was dumbed down here or maybe being around Meg upsets him since ya know she possessed him and did bad things and all, sorry I can feel a tangent coming on, must breathe.

Good points, the dialogue here was great and distracts me from what I think are plotholes, like Kevin having to struggle to translate something he should be able to read being that it's his birthright and all. It would be like Cas not being able to read enochian. Maybe there are just different types of prophets which the show could've explained instead of retelling me what I already watched. But if I ignore the whole prophet and Meg issues it's a good episode overall. And really I always have to ignore the Meg issues anyway.

Edited by trxr4kids

He became the current prophet when they opened the tablet.

Since I'm not entirely sure how that even works and that there are different prophets-in-waiting in every generation, I assume this was just bad luck. It probably could have been any of the other ones.

I don't blame them for that. I do for everything else though.

Now I wonder how Chuck became prophet.

Hmm okay I stand corrected, I was just rewatching this and it turns out Cas says if the word of God is revealed, a keeper of the word of God will awaken. So the show did explain that Chuck and Kevin were different types of prophets.

Aw crap I have to edit to add Meg was so right in this episode when she says, "when are you gonna get it, Crowley's always the problem he's just waiting for the right moment to strike."

Edited by trxr4kids
  • Love 2

Trying to catch up and just finished this episode. Everyone here is right about the dialogue. There is quite a bit of talking in this episode, but because the dialogue is good and there are some interesting insights and observations into the characters, I enjoyed it rather than found it boring. It reminds me why I miss Ben Edlund's presence in the current seasons.

In addition to the excellent Dean/Castiel "Sorry" discussion and the Dean/Kevin discussion already mentioned, I also very much enjoyed the Sam/Castiel discussion in the hideout. Sam being worried about how taking on his craziness was potentially affecting Cas was sweet, and Castiel's observations on the nature of both Sam's hallucinations and his own guilt were very interesting. How they discussed their shared guilt * and how Sam understood that Cass made his mistakes while trying to do what he thought was right were great for me. Sam thanking Castiel, and letting him know he understood, and then Castiel's confusion at "why do I need fixing?" : it was all bittersweet.

It was also interesting that Sam was the one to let Meg out of the devil's trap when she came back from killing the demons. He should have been the one most angry and suspicious considering all Meg had done to him, but partially to get the job done - as he'd done with Gabriel before - he was willing to overlook that and give Meg the benefit of the doubt. I also liked that it was Meg who saved Castiel... she was right someone had to do it, and she was the most logical one in the situation.

The current season's exception to Sam's willingness to overlook things to get it done is Bobby and ghosts. Sam does not appear to trust ghosts at all - they appear to be to Sam what witches are to Dean - and even though it's Bobby, he's skeptical and is reluctant to make an exception. I would've liked some more insight into this, but that's a minor quibble here. I liked the observational introduction to Kevin - where we learned about him through observing his life and interactions rather than a character (good or bad) doing research on him and telling us, the audience.

In general, I really enjoyed this episode.

* And gave me more fodder for my theory that part of Sam's hallucinations of Lucifer were fueled by his guilt.

• Love 1

This episode makes me yearn for another episode penned by Edlund. The man has a way with language. Dude also has a way with character, too. It's such a talky episode, but talky good, IMO. God, I love the beginning of this episode with Kevin playing the cello. I wasn't super-enthralled with Edlund's first foray as a director in S7, but this one had a better balance to it--nicely done Mr. Edlund, nicely done.

Oh, Kevin, you're life will never be the same again. 

Whacky side note of non-import: I played Sorry with my 7-year-old niece, her guinea pig, a 13-year-old friend of my other niece and her mother on Thanksgiving and I wanted to throw the game on the floor too--I totally understand Dean's compulsion here. Hee!

• Love 3

Mostly loved this one.  I didn't really enjoy silly Cas at the beginning, but he got more serious as the ep wore on.  I adored Kevin and second that opening with the cello playing.  Great choice.  I want to like Meg.  I wish she would stop trying to imitate Jean Arthur, though, in the way she talks. I am scared for Kevin now, since the Levi dude killed his angelic body guard.  By the way, why did the second angel, the one that wasn't being ganked, just stand there until it was his turn?

I have to admit, I don't think I paid much attention to this episode the first time I watched.  But I found it to be all kinds of bittersweet last night, and the depth of some of the conversations were really touching.  I also agree... Jensen played that Sorry scene very well- his eyes showed his real thoughts/feelings and confusion.

There's times when show is obnoxiously talky and dramatic... and there's times, like this episode, where its nice to get a honest view of where the characters are even if it does make for a slower pace.

• Love 1

I liked this episode, but it really should never have happened.  Who in their right mind says "does that sound like the universe warning us to stop?" gets an affirmative answer, then shrugs their shoulders and continues?  I would just be like, we kept this from the Leviathans.  Let's assume that's a good thing and hide it.  And, I think I would have been right.  I've never understood why they couldn't just cut Dick's head off, hide the head and then they would have accomplished the same thing as actually killing him.  Nothing good came from those tablets. 

Spoiler

We got Dean and Cas in Purgatory when they could have just chopped Dick's head off.  We got pissed off angels kicked out of Heaven.  We got God-a-tron.  And, yet, I'm thinking if they found a fourth tablet, they'd still try to find a way to read it, even though bad stuff will happen.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've never understood why they couldn't just cut Dick's head off, hide the head and then they would have accomplished the same thing as actually killing him.

I'm not so sure about this. Based on Dean

Spoiler

coming across many leviathans in purgatory,

I thought that the point of killing Dick with the weapon was to also get rid of all of the leviathans, that they would follow him into purgatory after he got killed. Just immobilizing Dick Roman by cutting his head off wouldn't have gotten rid of all of the other leviathans on earth. I think that's why Dick was so adamant on getting the tablet and keeping it away from anyone else - it carried the key to his whole species destruction.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I thought that the point of killing Dick with the weapon was to also get rid of all of the leviathans, that they would follow him into purgatory after he got killed.

But, Crowley said they were all still out there, just disorganized.  Yet, we've never seen another one topside. So, it's a little unclear. 

• Love 1

So I was annoyed with Dean.   You do get a clear signal to stop hitting the tablet and you keep going.  WTF??!   And why wouldn't cutting off Dick's head and separating it far from its body do the trick?  Killing the head monster doesn't always need a "special sword."  You just need to be quick.

And not sure I like this weak/a bit crazy Cas.  Sam and Dean need a real helpful ally, not crazy talk.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

And why wouldn't cutting off Dick's head and separating it far from its body do the trick?  Killing the head monster doesn't always need a "special sword."  You just need to be quick.

But, that's not overly-complicated and contrived enough!! ;)

Seriously, the overly-complicated bone of mass destruction was just silly, if you ask me.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

But, that's not overly-complicated and contrived enough!! ;)

Seriously, the overly-complicated bone of mass destruction was just silly, if you ask me.

What's weird is God had to have made how they died the same time he made the leviathan.  But, didn't he make them and lock them away before humans?  Possibly before Lucifer even fell.  Yet, you needed the blood of a righteous human (or something like that), blood from a fallen angel and blood from the ruler of hell.  Now, why would God have though blood from a fallen angel and blood from the ruler of hell would be two different things?  And, if originally, Lucifer was the ruler of hell, how did the bone recognize Crowley's blood.  I'm pretty sure I complained about all of this 5 years ago or whenever, but thanks for making me ornery about it again:)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

What's weird is God had to have made how they died the same time he made the leviathan.  But, didn't he make them and lock them away before humans?  Possibly before Lucifer even fell.  Yet, you needed the blood of a righteous human (or something like that), blood from a fallen angel and blood from the ruler of hell.  Now, why would God have though blood from a fallen angel and blood from the ruler of hell would be two different things?  And, if originally, Lucifer was the ruler of hell, how did the bone recognize Crowley's blood.  I'm pretty sure I complained about all of this 5 years ago or whenever, but thanks for making me ornery about it again:)

Yeah, I'm with ya' there and I know complained about it!

Plus, I didn't remember the recipe called for the blood of the ruler of Hell, I thought it was just the blood of fallen humanity. So, wouldn't any old demon do? Why'd they need Crowley's blood specifically? It shouldn't matter anyway because Crowley was defacto ruler of Hell, there wasn't anything special about his blood that made him different than any other demon.

Yeah, the whole thing is just overly-complicated and contrived. Would've made a lot more sense to me if they just cut off Dick's head, have Death open a portal and the boys throw it through.

1 minute ago, DittyDotDot said:

Plus, I didn't remember the recipe called for the blood of the ruler of Hell, I thought it was just the blood of fallen humanity. So, wouldn't any old demon do? Why'd they need Crowley's blood specifically? It shouldn't matter anyway because Crowley was defacto ruler of Hell, there wasn't anything special about his blood that made him different than any other demon.

OK, I didn't remember the exact phrasing.  But fallen humanity goes to Hell, so I think I still had a point.  But, not any old demon rules all of fallen humanity, I would say. But, yes, I agree.  There's nothing super special about Crowley's blood.  But, then again I don't know why a righteous person's bone would be any different than a regular bone.  And who determines righteousness?  Nobody is without any sin.  How judgmental are your bones?  Do they deteriorate when you do something they deem bad? 

So, I think I've mentioned that I used to write really bad fan fiction.  I actually wrote this excerpt at the beginning of the season.  And I've always been afraid that I somehow influenced this terrible terrible idea and if so I just apologize to no end.  Because their idea was as stupid as mine, but I expect more from them.

Sam read from the book in front of him. "There is only one thing that will the creature for which Purgatory was created."

"That's the leviathan," Bobby interrupted.

"The blood of one whom earth was created for."

"What's that?" Dean asked.

"Humans," Bobby answered.

"That's simple enough," Dean said, but realized there must be more to it because the leviathans had all been snacking and as far as he knew only one had died.

"I'm not done," Sam confirmed and continued. "Mixed with the blood of one whom Hell was created for."

"Demons," Dean said, triumphantly. That wasn't so bad. They just needed to get some demon blood and mix it with human blood and figure out how to get the Leviathans to drink it. He didn't know why Sam was being so grumpy about this.

"Still not done," Sam said answering his unspoken question. "Housed in the vessel of one whom Heaven was created for."

Bobby whistled. "Human and demon blood mixed in an angel's vessel."

"Exactly. The only way to kill a leviathan is to have it bite me," Sam confirmed.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, I didn't remember the exact phrasing.  But fallen humanity goes to Hell, so I think I still had a point.  But, not any old demon rules all of fallen humanity, I would say.

Oh, I agree with you, I just didn't remember the recipe called for the RULER of the fallen humanity--which, you're probably right about--I just thought they needed the the blood of ANY fallen human. Like the fallen angel side of it; it didn't specify they needed the ruler of the fallen angels, any fallen angel would've done, but it was convenient they happened to be rather well acquainted with one.

I just remember watching it the first time and wondering why they didn't use Meg's blood since they weren't sure if they could trust Crowley. So, I'm sure right that it did specify that it needed to be the ruler of the fallen.

12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Sam read from the book in front of him. "There is only one thing that will the creature for which Purgatory was created."

"That's the leviathan," Bobby interrupted.

"The blood of one whom earth was created for."

"What's that?" Dean asked.

"Humans," Bobby answered.

"That's simple enough," Dean said, but realized there must be more to it because the leviathans had all been snacking and as far as he knew only one had died.

"I'm not done," Sam confirmed and continued. "Mixed with the blood of one whom Hell was created for."

"Demons," Dean said, triumphantly. That wasn't so bad. They just needed to get some demon blood and mix it with human blood and figure out how to get the Leviathans to drink it. He didn't know why Sam was being so grumpy about this.

"Still not done," Sam said answering his unspoken question. "Housed in the vessel of one whom Heaven was created for."

Bobby whistled. "Human and demon blood mixed in an angel's vessel."

"Exactly. The only way to kill a leviathan is to have it bite me," Sam confirmed.

OMG, that's freakin' hilarious! I absolutely love this. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Kevin! Sam and Dean wearing goggles just makes me think of season 12 -  "Goggles?" "Goggles!" 

Spoiler

Kevin lit up with energy in his introduction and his death. I'd think that was cool if I weren't still not over that death. 

How does Meg keep this job if she doesn't know nursing? Ah, Cas. Reunited and it feels so good. And then he tells a pull my  finger joke. He and Meg have good chemistry. I like her calling Sam "hot stuff," even if it does make me miss old Meg and her chemistry with Jared. Sam chasing after Kevin is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this series. Cas holding up Sorry is another. I'm laughing way too hard at Meg telling the angels that Sam is not her lover. Don't act like you didn't think about it, Meg. "Meg, where'd you get that?" "A lot of angels died this year." Poor Kevin. He's too young for this shit. "Is this a sex torture dungeon?" "You seem troubled. Of course, that's a primary aspect of your personality so I sometimes ignore it." Crazy Cas is pretty funny. "Crowley ain't the problem this year." I like it when they get a little meta. "You know me. I'm always happy to bleed for the Winchesters." Poor Kevin. I will basically saying that for the duration of the series. 

• Love 4

I've been rewatching season 7, which is still my favorite season and I noticed this time that Meg actually is the first one to call Sam Bullwinkle. And I still want to smack them both sideways for smashing that tablet. While not intended and it could have been any prophet on the list, it does feel like they caused Kevin to be "activated". Poor Kevin. Advanced placement,

Spoiler

a sucky few years left as a prophet and then you die. Because the Winchester brothers couldn't leave well enough alone despite the thunder and then they were more important to each other than anyone and anything else. So you got killed by an angel. One of those who was supposed to protect you.

• Love 3

First, I want to apologize in advance for my general crankiness in this post. It seems that everyone generally likes this season and this episode in particular, and I'm really sorry I feel very differently.

Originally, I stopped watching Supernatural after season 8 so I'm fairly ignorant of anything after that season. However, I thought I'd try to rewatch the show since it's coming to an end, and I really did enjoy the earlier seasons of the show, the actors, and most of the writers.

I'm kind of regretting my decision because watching this season has been a real struggle for me. Generally, I find the concept of the Leviathans stupid. Their motivations, humans as cattle, is really boring and a common concept for supernatural creatures as a whole.

In their introduction, it's stated they're pre-biblical monsters and were locked away swiftly after creation which isn't true since Leviathans are in the Old Testament. Why didn't the writers choose to write them in concert with existing mythology rather than making up a different origin which makes no sense? Also, Angels are supposed to be the first creatures God created so why do Leviathans trump Angels? Bibbing as a concept is stupid as well. These are supposed to be one of the oldest creatures ever created and the best they can come up with to kill subordinates is to put on a plastic bib and have them cannibalize themselves? That's not scary; it's lame and almost comical.

I love Ben Edlund and his beautiful talent for writing. Pretty much everything he's ever done (The Tick, Firefly, Angel, etc.) is fantastic except for this season of Supernatural. How can the same person that wrote Ghostfacers (my favorite episode to date) write this episode? Granted, it's one of the best this season, but it's still pretty bad compared to the earlier seasons.

I will say the bright spot of this season is the actor that plays Dick Roman. I just wish that I found Leviathans interesting and/or scary because it really takes away from the fantastic job that actor does.

Finally, I'm dreading rewatching season 8 because I remember liking it less than this season. However, I'm hoping that maybe things will get better after season 8 because I genuinely used to love this show and the actors in it and thought it had smart writing. When everything is said and done, I'd like to remember this show fondly throughout it's run with some bumps along the way, but I've currently got my doubts.

20 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

First, I want to apologize in advance for my general crankiness in this post. It seems that everyone generally likes this season and this episode in particular, and I'm really sorry I feel very differently.

Oh, I think you're in the majority, in general, about not liking S7. You have to remember that this thread was created a couple years after the episode aired and only a handful people have commented on it. The old episode threads don't get much traffic and thus don't always represent the forum--or fandom--as a whole very well.  

On 4/14/2018 at 4:19 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Oh, I think you're in the majority, in general, about not liking S7. You have to remember that this thread was created a couple years after the episode aired and only a handful people have commented on it. The old episode threads don't get much traffic and thus don't always represent the forum--or fandom--as a whole very well.  

Agreed. Season 7 was my least favorite season (with season 2 coming in second place)....but I really enjoyed this episode.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, S Cook Productions said:

Agreed. Season 7 was my least favorite season (with season 2 coming in second place)....but I really enjoyed this episode.

What did you dislike about season 2?

5 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

What did you dislike about season 2?

Nothing in particular. I guess it just didn’t hold my attention as much as the other later seasons when I was more invested. Season one and two might be a tie. I thought it started off slow and didn’t really get into it until season 3. Then seasons 4 and 5 were my favorites. 

11 minutes ago, S Cook Productions said:

Nothing in particular. I guess it just didn’t hold my attention as much as the other later seasons when I was more invested. Season one and two might be a tie. I thought it started off slow and didn’t really get into it until season 3. Then seasons 4 and 5 were my favorites. 

I see. Thanks for answering.

• Love 1

I agree that season 7 doesn't appear to be all that popular with the majority of fans, but it's actually one of my favorites.  And this episode in particular, I really enjoyed.  We get Cas back, or at least a reasonable facsimile of him, and we meet Kevin.  I loved the relationship between Cas and Meg, and Meg with Sam and Dean.  I guess I basically just loved Meg.  And the Leviathans as the big bad was a nice break from the typical angel/demon crap.  

This is my go to season when I just want to enjoy the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, MysteryGuest said:

I agree that season 7 doesn't appear to be all that popular with the majority of fans, but it's actually one of my favorites.  And this episode in particular, I really enjoyed.  We get Cas back, or at least a reasonable facsimile of him, and we meet Kevin.  I loved the relationship between Cas and Meg, and Meg with Sam and Dean.  I guess I basically just loved Meg.  And the Leviathans as the big bad was a nice break from the typical angel/demon crap.  

This is my go to season when I just want to enjoy the show.

i like this season a lot. i have been disappointed with a few episodes, but not an entire season. i have certain feelings for a season, but i don't think i hate any of them.

----

misha is given yet another task of stretching his acting abilities....and aces it. good grief who is the casting director because they knew what the hell they were doing when they casted misha. he's the gift that keeps on giving. i guess with a character as stagnant (and i use that word lightly) as cass they have to do a few things to him here and there to make him interesting.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this one a lot for all the amazing dialogue and the Kevin Tran. Hooray for rebooted Castiel, who was somehow simultaneously heartbreaking, sweet, hopeful and ridiculous (in a good way). 

I agree that they should have at least paused when it was clear the thunder was synced but they had to do it anyway 1. as their only lead on the Leviathans and 2. For plot reasons. Lol. I am more irritated by the fact that it didn't occur to them that Kevin's home would be watched. I suppose they thought the Leviathans might not know about him, but why take thaf chance? Especially because of the level of media attention it was getting. Police would 100% treat this as a runaway. Maybe with the weird call a missing person with a medical emergency. They clearly need another paranoid person on the team.

I can't believe it but I actually like Meg a lot? I found her tedious and boringly evil in prior iterations. I don't really get why so many don't like this actress. 

With the return of the angels, I feel compelled to share that the baby will be playing Jesus on Christmas Eve and big  brother will be an angel. I am resisting the urge to direct him to act like a dick and/or to give him a sword and trenchcoat.

• LOL 2
42 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I am resisting the urge to direct him to act like a dick and/or to give him a sword and trenchcoat.

Resist. Resist with all your might.

42 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I agree that they should have at least paused when it was clear the thunder was synced but they had to do it anyway 1. as their only lead on the Leviathans and 2. For plot reason

Yeah, but for all they knew the Leviathans wanted it because when opened it would turn all of humanity into zombies.  Not zombie/zombies.  Just docile creatures that would let them eat them. Like cows.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Resist. Resist with all your might.

Yeah, but for all they knew the Leviathans wanted it because when opened it would turn all of humanity into zombies.  Not zombie/zombies.  Just docile creatures that would let them eat them. Like cows.

Fair enough, though they were already trying to do that through different means. This could have been fixed by like three lines of dialogue.

True story, I was an angel in. Christmas concert when I was 4 ish and this other kid stood in the wrong place and blocked me, so I punched her. A fistfight in front of the altar. 😆 Hopefully, he doesn't follow in my footsteps.

• LOL 2