Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Taking This One to the Grave

Feeling trapped by Alison and A, the PLLs turn to an unlikely person for help. With Alison leading them down a dangerous path and A barring them from telling the police the truth, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer feel trapped and are desperate to find a way out of this mess. With nothing else to lose, could the PLLs lose everything by putting their faith in a possibly untrustworthy ally? Meanwhile, Alison begins to build up her own army now that the PLLs have turned their backs on her.

And the Canadian promo:

Sneak peek clip #1:

Sneak peek clip #2:

Sneak peek clip #3:

Sneak peek clip #4:

Someone will die, eh? It better not be Caleb! I can live with Paige, Toby, Mike, or any of the other secondary/tertiary characters dying except Caleb. He's like the only normal guy in Rosewood (which I'm sure is reason enough for most of Rosewood to want to get rid of him).

Hell, I'd be fine with Ali actually being killed and then the PLL trying to figure out who really killed her next season. I'm sure the reaction from Rosewood PD would be something along the lines of, "Ehhh, we already tried this once before so we're just going to wait a few years and see if she turns up alive again."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

It's way too soon to kill Ali. They just started explicitly playing with the Ali-as-A idea in 5.11. I'm waiting for sneak peeks before I speculate anything, but in the promo, Hanna is the only one crying while Emily is reading the text, Aria is not distressed, and we don't see Spencer at all. So I doubt it could be Paige or anyone from Aria's family. I'd say it's not Melissa either, since she left for England.

• Love 1

I really hope it isn't Caleb since Hanna is crying in that one promo. I love those two together and he's the only good male left in that town. And it better not be Ashley either, I can see Hanna crying over the loss of one of her parents and Caleb...and maybe Mona...

• Love 1

It has to be Lucas or Mona. Ashley, Caleb, Toby, or any other Liars family member is to close to home. Mona knows so much and A is probably sick of her. No one would cry for Jenna or Noel. Hanna will cry for Mona or Lucas though.

And the person getting arrested looks like Spencer. That's definitely her watch. So either A or Ali snitched or Spencer stupidly left the tape out or bravely confessed to what Melissa said.

That's why I think it's Mona. No one but Hanna is upset. 

I don't think Marlene is that horrible to get rid of Caleb again. We lost him once. Just let him and Hanna get married in a few years. Any of the other love interests are free to die though. 

• Love 1

Hmmm... Notice how Holbrook said, "The amount of blood in the house indicates that the victim's wounds were fatal." Does this mean no body? I'm wondering if this is Mona or someone else faking her/his own death.

• Love 4

It has to be Lucas or Mona. Ashley, Caleb, Toby, or any other Liars family member is to close to home. Mona knows so much and A is probably sick of her. No one would cry for Jenna or Noel. Hanna will cry for Mona or Lucas though.

And the person getting arrested looks like Spencer. That's definitely her watch. So either A or Ali snitched or Spencer stupidly left the tape out or bravely confessed to what Melissa said.

I would cry for Jenna and Noel. They along with Mona and Lucas are the best characters outside of the main 4. Well, A too, but we don't know who A is. 

Kill off anyone else and I'd be fine with it.

In the Canadian promo, interesting that there's dialogue in the Spencer, Emily, and Hanna scenes but with Aria we just see a quick flash of her with EzrA. Irrelevant to the A-storyline as ever, Aria. Well, unless you're A.

I would cry for Jenna and Noel. They along with Mona and Lucas are the best characters outside of the main 4. Well, A too, but we don't know who A is. 

Kill off anyone else and I'd be fine with it.

Same with me, Jenna, Mona, Noel and Lucas make this show interesting when they appear and since it'll never be one of the Liars I don't care who else bites it. 

Death Pool 2014:

1. Melissa

2. Mona

3. Paige

4. Noel Kahn

5. Jenna

My vote goes to Mona but it could be the case of the person faking their own death like another poster has said.

From that list, Paige is the one I least care about but I don't want Emily to have another dead girlfriend. All the others are unexpendable.

It could be Lucas...it would fit with how distressed Hanna is.

On a happy note, it looks like Ali is definitely back to her style of dresses and jeans jacket and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

And Ali doesn't seem to be acting like a scared little child who needs the Liars to protect her. She's defintely trying to get her new army which is another reason why I think either Mona dies or fakes her death. The only reason why I had Melissa as the death was because Troian (Who is a troll at heart.) had made this post on her Instagram of the scene where Melissa is recording her confession. She made it seem like a goodbye messaige to Torrey. lol

• Love 1

Death Poll 2014:

1. Sydney (because it's always time for a character to be introduced just to bite it for a "shocking" death)

2. Melissa

3. Noel Kahn

I guess my problem with someone important to the girls dying is that we go into the next half of the season with the another downward spiral from one of the Liars - do not want.

ETA: OR alternate theory- finale ends with a blonde dead and we're supposed to think it's Ali but it turns out to be Cece. You read it here first!

Edited by kissedbyarose

Troian also said "one of our previous cast members" when talking about Mona. This cast has a habit of spilling the beans (Sasha and Tammin with the twin thing, Ian saying he's still alive, Lucy saying Ali is still alive. ) But also, as someone said, Troian is a troll..so take everything she says with a grain of salt. 

The only reason why I had Melissa as the death was because Troian (Who is a troll at heart.) had made this post on her Instagram of the scene where Melissa is recording her confession. She made it seem like a goodbye messaige to Torrey. lol

Maybe Melissa is in England for good and Torrey is off the show, which would be a goodbye.

It's interesting that Spencer is the one to get arrested. Ali would frame her over all the others, of course, but who could die that Spencer would be the most likely killer... No freakin' idea. It could be anyone at this point, but let's not forget that the last time PLL had a shocking death it was Mrs D. Shocking? Yes. A regular character that could be used for various plot lines? No. Before that it was Shana. Was it omfg? Yes. A regular character that still had a lot of potential? Not so much that she couldn't be replaced by Sydney. I'm not saying that PLL can't go for something game-breaking and kill Mona or Jenna, but I kinda doubt it until season 6 (unless the actress wants out).

Someone in the thread for episode 11 suggested Eddie Lamb. We haven't seen him since he went missing and he has a connection to Spencer, so I'm thinking it could very possibly be him. Other than that, I would say Mona or Melissa.

I would cry for Noel! Hilarious and a little creepy that Ali's new "army" that she's hanging with outside the bathroom are three brunettes and a blonde.  Is she showing the liars how replaceable they are to her, or did she pick an army that can serve as body doubles to implicate our liars (they're not Ali's anymore!) in nefarious activities.  She could use them so that our liars are "spotted" in places they were not, to either poke holes in their alibis or to create witnesses who put them at the scene of some crime or other shady event.  Ali looks so smugly satisfied with herself standing with her new hot posse outside the bathrooms.  Since Aria actually asks out loud if someone thinks Ali is A, she must not be (I'm a little crushed), but I still think she is playing a part in the whole A game, and not just playing defense.  I dislike her jean jacket a little less than I've disliked her other jackets this season.  It looks like a denim blazer that, well, a real estate agent mom might wear on her days off.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 1

I assume Spencer's getting arrested for Bethany. Either she's stupid enough to keep the tape lying around or she was stupidly brave enough to give a confession for Melissa's sake. Them Hastings are ride or die. Loyal to the fullest.

I'm not saying that PLL can't go for something game-breaking and kill Mona or Jenna, but I kinda doubt it until season 6 (unless the actress wants out).

The only way I would be ok with Mona dying is if she was the one who ended up with the twin. I love the actress that plays her so it would be nice to see her stick around! 

• Love 3

I assume Spencer's getting arrested for Bethany. Either she's stupid enough to keep the tape lying around or she was stupidly brave enough to give a confession for Melissa's sake. Them Hastings are ride or die. Loyal to the fullest.

I assume that's what happens as well. I think A will get ahold of the tape and send it to the cops. Or Ali will say that she saw Spencer kill Bethany. 

I hope that they don't kill Mona. I would miss Janel so much. She's a joy to watch.

The only way I would be ok with Mona dying is if she was the one who ended up with the twin. I love the actress that plays her so it would be nice to see her stick around! 

That would actually be awesome.

I must have missed the part where Ali's army was shown. When/where did this happen?

I'm am hoping that next week is Toby or Ezra's demise, but how likely is that? Still, what a joy either one of these would be. During that whole convo with Caleb I wanted to punch Toby's in the face. His facial expressions (all 2 of them) disturb me. I'm thinking the likely death will be Shana's replacement, swim girl whose name I cannot remember. Eddie Lamb is a good guess though

• Love 1

I would cry for Noel! Hilarious and a little creepy that Ali's new "army" that she's hanging with outside the bathroom are three brunettes and a blonde.  Is she showing the liars how replaceable they are to her, or did she pick an army that can serve as body doubles to implicate our liars (they're not Ali's anymore!) in nefarious activities.  She could use them so that our liars are "spotted" in places they were not, to either poke holes in their alibis or to create witnesses who put them at the scene of some crime or other shady event.  Ali looks so smugly satisfied with herself standing with her new hot posse outside the bathrooms.  Since Aria actually asks out loud if someone thinks Ali is A, she must not be (I'm a little crushed), but I still think she is playing a part in the whole A game, and not just playing defense.  I dislike her jean jacket a little less than I've disliked her other jackets this season.  It looks like a denim blazer that, well, a real estate agent mom might wear on her days off.

That is so creepy! I didn't even notice that the first time I watched the Canadian promo. I guess my brain just assumed it was the Liars. I am guessing that Spencer is being arrested for Bethany's murder (maybe Ali turning her in as payback for abandoning her?) and that Hanna is crying over that (I mean her mom was just falsely arrested for murder and now her best friend?) rather than the dead person.

Just added the sneak peek clips up top with the promos.

I like how Hanna brings the snark about Emily.

Caleb: "What is wrong with her ?"

Hanna: "Read her boobs.  The girl loves Christmas."

It could be a fakeout with someone faking their death..

It's not like that hasn't been done before ..... cough, cough ..... Alison.

So in response in sneak peak #1, looks like they are going with Ali having a twin.  They ask Ali what her name is, but she is the twin so that question fucks up the baseline reading and she passes the test even though her kidnapping story in complete crap.  Not saying the twin theory the only way the show could end, but either Ali has a twin or the writers are actively trolling people who know what happened in the books.

Edited by superman1204

The writers have actively trolled people who know what happened in the books, for example when they had that creepy sisters story in the Halloween special, so I would not be overly surprised. But for Ali to fail at that question it would not be enough to have a twin, she'd have to be the other twin, not be Single White Twin like in the books, and also not be capable of passing a lie detector test. So if Ali passes, it doesn't mean she doesn't/didn't have a twin - for me that's the single most annoying thing about that question being presented as a cliffhanger in the sneak peek.

Oh god this episode. lol.

Twins everywhere. Then I think Mona's going to bite it. Then I think it's Melissa. Then I think it's Toby. The suspense is killing me.

Edited by Dejajeva

"Although we didn't find a body, we are calling this a homicide" -- that's some fine police work there.

Why did the 'A' in Mona's house look like it was wearing kevlar vest under the hoodie ?  What was the point of taking Mona's body ?  Why was there blood everywhere, not just in Mona's bedroom  (unless 'A' decided to paint the house with Mona's blood for extra pizzazz) ?

Mona definitely looked dead in that car trunk -- unless Mona also has a twin.

ETA:  All that Bethany young evidence is now long gone, so they can't prove that Ali killed Bethany and is also 'A'.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I loved this episode but I doubt that Ali killed Mona.. The blonde hair they showed the length and cut didn't match Ali's so it will be exactly like Ezra last year .

I loved that Hanna killed on the SAT's and that she also told Caleb to read Emily's boobs and that he did.

#RIPMONA  normally I wouldn't hashag on someone else's site but Mona has been on the show since day one and she was the first A.  The best A.  The most satisfying A and the one who I liked even when she stopped being A.  I will miss her.

Best line of the episode, "Are we really saying Alisnon's A Out ;loud?"

For a moment I was scared that we weren't going to get anymore shirtless Toby which would have been tragic.  

How many times now has Spencer been arrested for murder?   She might as well jus kill someone already......then again she has always been on my shortlist for A.

Is it really that easy to hack a police station and break into an insane asylum?  I'll write it off to it being Rosewood where everyone is really bad at their job.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

A is a socio path, Mona's body is probably a collectors item. I thought the whole episode it was obvious we were going to lose Mona (especially with her "I have to survive through high school line) and then we had the Toby fakeout and I had a few seconds of hope. Damnit. I'll hold out hope that Mona has a twin. 

Ali has been built up as A, so she's obviously not A. I'm suspicious of the twin thing, but the blonde hair looked like a wig. 

Mrs. D was sleeping with Bethany's father. That woman got around. Unless Bethany's father is Spencer's father...Perhaps Jason has a twin..

So..here's my crack theory. Jason is A. He's the one with the twin. He's crazy. 

• Love 1

Let me get this straight: it's only been a month since Halloween (!) but Toby has had time to graduate from the police academy?

I thought Spencer's arrest scene was a dream at first, it's seemed so rushed and almost surreal.

Aria: "I always wondered why she picked me" Girl, you're not the only one.

• Love 4
Well I wasn't buying Mona being dead until that last scene. Huh.

Same, mostly because I have a hard time believing Alison is actually gonna go full on myself villain, so for a moment there I thought they might have struck a deal and faked Mona's death together. 

Then the body.

Still, we didn't actually get to see who was the blonde but Alison's smirk was pretty condenming. But given the way this show works, if they went as far as creating mystery as for who was the killer then it most likely wasn't Alison. I'll go as far to say that the whole "Alison is evil" thing felt more like a fake-out than anything this show has ever done. I don't buy it for a second.

Ali has been built up as A, so she's obviously not A. I'm suspicious of the twin thing, but the blonde hair looked like a wig.

I definitely think it was a wig. In any case it doesn't fit Alison's hair which was noticeably darker. I'm calling it right here: the killer was Ezra in a wig.

I enjoyed the episode a lot, overall, even though I watched it through a livestream. The entire concept was executed very well especially when the whole notion of Mona and the liars working together could have gotten contrived really fast but the writers went right in having Mona actually adressing the shit she has done at last and apologizing. Tonight was the first time I actually thought she was sincere and because of that it became very clear the episode was going to be a goodbye letter to her of sorts and it was a fitting one.

This whole thing basically started with Alison vs. Mona and it felt right that it would end like that.

The concept of Alison being A and Spencer being someone's killer finally being explored also feels like a long time coming. I'm especially happy the latest wasn't fully exhausted last season, like I previously believed, when we found out Spencer didn't kill Alison.

Aria: "I always wondered why she picked me" Girl, you're not the only one.

I'm still wondering because that whole thing about Aria being compassionate was pretty laughable. Not because she isn't but because, for one, she as compassionate as she is self-absorved and it's also hardly a trait that's unique to her. I think all the girls are plenty compassionate, Hanna and Emily especially have HUGE hearts but Spencer isn't far behind.

I have a strange feeling the show will come back to this. But I have been plenty wrong about Aria before so what do I know.

I want to make a special mention to Mona's Mom who was the cutest and Hanna getting a high SAT score. I always knew you had it in you, hon!

• Love 2

Poor Mona.  She's been my favorite.  But I think we all knew it was her within the first 10 minutes.    How adorable was her mom when she saw that her daughter had friends over?  Ugghhhhh.  Worst PLL death so far.  

How the fuck did Toby graduate from the police academy within like 3 episodes?   I know Rosewood PD was pretty slack but sheesh.

No way Ali killed Mona.  She seems like the type of person who has other people do her dirty work so her hands are clean. I do think she's got some crazy issues but idk about full on sociopath.  It was pretty campy how they pointed out how each the liars fit a trait.

Oh Aria, we still don't know why she picked you.

I agree about the hair- the ends were cut too bluntly, much like a wig.  Thoughts on who it would be?   

Let me get this straight: it's only been a month since Halloween (!) but Toby has had time to graduate from the police academy?

But doesn't that say so much about the Rosewood PD? 

Can't believe they killed Mona. But it's kind of impressive that they did. I thought it was kind of strange that she was all happy with her mom, in her nice comfy bed, surrounded by evidence. I like that they told the audience, with the characters still having reason to doubt her death. The opening scene reminded me of the episode where the killed off Nate. 

Time traveling police school where he learned the important work of how to talk dirty and be inappropriate with underage girls.  But considering It is Rosewood he is probably the best thing that has ever happened to the police force so they wanted him REAL FAST!!! 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

How many times now has Spencer been arrested for murder?   She might as well jus kill someone already......then again she has always been on my shortlist for A.

Spencer's on my short list for having killed someone. Spencer IS my short list. Who that may be is still up in the air. But at least her being in jail means she's off the hook for Mona's murder. Unless she managed to make bail. Dun dun dun!

Of all the ridiculous, preposterous things that happen on this show, Hanna doing well on the SATs is the one thing that I have a hard time suspending my disbelief. If she can't even remember the correct name of the test, how could she possibly do well on it? You have to be able to remember things for that to happen.

Time traveling police school where he learned the important work of how to talk dirty and be inappropriate with underage girls.  But considering It is Rosewood he is probably the best thing that has ever happened to the police force so they wanted him REAL FAST!!!

And now that he's got a broken leg and is in a wheelchair, maybe they can ripoff 'Rear Window' somehow in a future episode.

• Love 3

They didn't say aria was "compassionate" they said Aria was "passionate." Which I think is completely true. She spent the first few seasons stupidly trying to be with her high school teacher. Because "love." She's all artsy. And when she's mad she'll burn the world down. Plus, she's been labeled "vegan" despite the leather and feathers. "Passionate" is an adjective that fits Aria.

But I'm still more interested in Aria as a parallel to Ali, particularly with the Vivian Darkbloom thing. I wish they'd go back to that. 

Unfortunately, killer can't be Ezra. He was with Aria. Hanna, Ezra, Aria, Spencer and Emily are the only characters who couldn't have done it. (I'd say that Caleb because he's Caleb, didn't do it. And Ali, because it seems like it was Ali..didn't do it. And Toby because Wheelchair. ) 

On a totally different note..loved the scene where Caleb and Hanna were talking about colleges. Caleb's little proud smirk just says enough about the two of them. 

Maybe this goes back further...maybe this game isn't Mona vs. Ali..maybe it was Paige vs. Ali. 

Edited by mercfan3

And was Halloween the episode in Ravenswood or the Halloween special on the train? Weren't both in their senior year?

Either way, it being Thanksgiving means the entire series of Ravenswood, then Caleb coming back, and him and Hannah drinking happened in less then a month. Sure, that's believable.  

The only thing this episode was missing was Tanner.

I'm still really confused though. Are the police the good guys or the bad guys? Have to be bad right? Or maybe Tanner's okay but inappropriate kiss guy isn't so much? He's really cute though.

They didn't say aria was "compassionate" they said Aria was "passionate." Which I think is completely true. She spent the first few seasons stupidly trying to be with her high school teacher. Because "love." She's all artsy. And when she's mad she'll burn the world down. Plus, she's been labeled "vegan" despite the leather and feathers. "Passionate" is an adjective that fits Aria.

Ooooh, damn that livestream! Yes I do agree passionate fits Aria well. Better than compassionate for sure. Still seems even sillier that's the reason Alison picked her. What use does that have to her? Unless it serves to manipulate the hell out of Aria to be destructive. Hm. Now I'm thinking about Alison being like a Tornado and Aria wondered out loud if she ruined everything she touched that one time and all the parallels between them that were never explored.

But I'm still more interested in Aria as a parallel to Ali, particularly with the Vivian Darkbloom thing. I wish they'd go back to that.

My thoughts exactly. That's my number one frustration as far as pretty little liars is concerned and the show can't help but make me hopeful that it will adress the Ali/Aria parallels and Vivian Darkbloom from time to time.

I'm still really confused though. Are the police the good guys or the bad guys? Have to be bad right? Or maybe Tanner's okay but inappropriate kiss guy isn't so much? He's really cute though.

I never got the "evil" vibe with Tanner or Holbrook that we got with Wilden. I believe the big difference between them is the former are primarily trying to do their job and not screw over anyone innocent. Unfortunately, they just happen to be only slightly better than the average rosewood policeman which doesn't say much and have the potential to ruin our main characters' lives either out of simple incompetence but also because the girls are suspicious as hell and I personally can't really blame them for thinking they're guilty.

On an entirely different note, I just remembered I really could have have gone without that opening scene with Ezria hugging beside Emily consoling Hanna. I don't need anymore reasons to delude myself Hannily might be endgame, MK! Stop toying with me!

• Love 3

I never got the "evil" vibe with Tanner or Holbrook that we got with Wilden. I believe the big difference between them is the former are primarily trying to do their job and not screw over anyone innocent. Unfortunately, they just happen to be only slightly better than the average rosewood policeman which doesn't say much and have the potential to ruin our main characters' lives either out of simple incompetence but also because the girls are suspicious as hell and I personally can't really blame them for thinking they're guilty.

I think that's what's throwing me. At first I thought maybe they were going to eventually help- that they weren't evil, because I never got that vibe either. But then recently (like tonight with Aria and Holbrook) I'm getting mixed vibes so idk.

Someone want to remind me of Ali/Aria Viv Darkbloom parallels? I don't think I pay enough attention to Aria- I'm always amused that Lucy Hale is quite obviously the odd man out though- and I've asked myself more than once if she does it on purpose because she knows something we don't about end-game, but I don't actually think she's that method. lol.

She didn't look at all upset about Mona though at the very beginning.