Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Walking on Eggshells

• Start Topic

I will say one thing for Shep - he seems to at least be honest with Taylor about who he is and what he isn’t willing to change. I am generally not a fan of when someone tries to force the other person’s hand to break up via poor behavior but he is not doing it in the sneaky way people often do it. He’s just behaving like a raving jackass at all times, refusing to apologize for it and telling Taylor he will keep being like this so she needs to decide if she can live with it. It is awful, nightmare childish behavior and he should really get a therapist and work on it but I guess he gets one point for not playing the “sorry, baby, I’ll do better” game if he really has no plans to do so. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I will say one thing for Shep - he seems to at least be honest with Taylor about who he is and what he isn’t willing to change. I am generally not a fan of when someone tries to force the other person’s hand to break up via poor behavior but he is not doing it in the sneaky way people often do it. He’s just behaving like a raving jackass at all times, refusing to apologize for it and telling Taylor he will keep being like this so she needs to decide if she can live with it. It is awful, nightmare childish behavior and he should really get a therapist and work on it but I guess he gets one point for not playing the “sorry, baby, I’ll do better” game if he really has no plans to do so. 

Every year a new group of women enter their 20s so as one gets fed up and moves on he just rinses and repeats.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I guess he gets one point for not playing the “sorry, baby, I’ll do better” game if he really has no plans to do so. 

He did say that, though, during the one on one talk when she was crying. He said she helps him to do better. Great Shep, put it all on her. Aside from the verbal abuse the guy cheats which was the final straw for her. I imagine he will use the excuse of "I can't help myself", I love you but I can't change". He has also said in a past episode that she should be happy with all he does for her like take her on expensive vacations and shows her a good time all on his dime.  So shut up, Taylor and enjoy the ride. Shallow Shep. He is really disgusting. 

• Love 6
On 8/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah although if a man threw an object at a woman because he disagreed with what she said people would be outraged.

I think he did throw an egg back at her, or did I just imagine that?

• Love 1

I typically hate everyone on these types of shows, and that's mainly true here as well, but I find myself begrudgingly really liking Taylor! She just seems so laid back and nice. Maybe it's because she has an actual job and is not financially tethered to this show, so she doesn't have that air of thirstiness about her? I don't know. I do know that she can do way better than Shep. 

• Love 5
On 8/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, tranquilidade said:

What Shep said to Taylor when trying to apologize revealed a self centered and egocentric mind.  First he wants to keep Taylor in his life because she makes HIM a better person.  It’s all about what HE gets —-no mention of giving.  He wants to keep the relationship because he knows how hard it is to find someone.  He is not on the hunt at the moment and doesn’t want to make the effort.  He reduced her to a friend with benefits and is trying to appeal to her ego that she has some powerful presence in his life but she seems smart enough to know that’s not a relationship. If she stayed he would eventually cheat on her and lose interest and seems to know this.  He will always have the power in the relationship with money and connections. 

The fact that Shep made an egg toss game, which is supposed to be based on trust, so overly competitive  shows he has is at the emotional level of a child.  He became enraged because he could not win and there was still a chance.  A normal, better adjusted person, would have laughed it off and said hey why did you do that we could have still won?  His rage over a small friendly game and his other displays of competitive behavior reveal a man baby.  Taylor wants a real baby not this.  Run Taylor, run.  No matter what he says, he just not that into you and never will be.

The fact that he actually says: find an accountant that worships the ground you walk on reveals he will never love her the way a normal person will love her and this is the best advice Shep ever gave anyone.  He really doesn’t care if she leaves he will find someone else in a jiffy and he is not about to put any more effort into loving her just like he won’t put any effort into anything else in his life.  He is happy just the way it is. 

Shep is always rude with food.  Toddlers do this and it’s ok for them, they are learning about gravity.  He tossed oyster shells at the clambake and dives into food like a hungry dog.  He also stood in the pool at the clambake and seasons back dived into Patricia’s pool in a skimpy suit at her elegant party.  He is a clown.

He’s white trash.

• Love 3

Error...Error...Error, Will Robinson.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:23 AM, MrBuhBye said:

At least Leva didn’t do her condescending peacemaker shtick.

What else does she have to contribute?

Edited by Back Atcha
On 8/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, Axie said:

I’ve never been a Shep fan but I never realized what a horrific human being he is until tonight.

He must have pissed off TOO MANY people in Production to get such a negative edit.  He probably acts like this all the time, but those rants end up on the cutting room floor.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, Thumper said:

Next week’s preview with Paige having a talk with Naomie looks so scripted.  🙄

How much longer are we going to be BORED out of our minds by the beautiful, wealthy, elegant, sophisticated all-knowing out-of-towner, Youngster Paige?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4
On 8/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, howiveaddict said:

Hate abusive Shep, but I am over Austin and Olivia acting like they  were engaged and not just casually dating.

And not just "casually dating," but specifically naming it--describing what they decided (at least what Austen decided--but he really wants Madison...only Madison).  There's no Austin-Olivia chemistry. The storyline makes her look like someone too desperate...wanting to get married to anyone--and soon.  Bring back that blind-date cutie; he seems like a casual dater.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And not just "casually dating," but specifically naming it--describing what they decided (at least what Austen decided--but he really wants Madison...only Madison).  There's no Austin-Olivia chemistry. The storyline makes her look like someone too desperate...wanting to get married to anyone--and soon.  Bring back that blind-date cutie; he seems like a casual dater.  

Seriously! We’ve never even seen them kiss or hold hands—or remotely act like they’re interested in each other with body language or how they look at each other. Even when they just decided they’re dating each other, they didn’t even kiss! They just sat there a few feet apart. They’ve had one solo date (not counting the group dinners/events)—and that was just dinner as-seen-on-TV. The way Austen is obviously—to us and to Olivia—still in love with Madison there’s no way IRL this girl would stick around pursuing this guy. I mean, sure, who among us hasn’t had such a dysfunctional push/pull relationship in our youth, but we haven’t seen any evidence that either one of these people has any actual interest in the other. They SAY they do for the cameras, but they’re dead behind the eyes. All of Austen’s romantic/dramatic feelings are laser-pointed at Madison, and Olivia seemed more emotional over her tiff with Venita than she ever has with the back-and-forth with Austen. I think the showmance between Austen and Olivia is faker than the one between Whitney and Naomi. But we’ll see which one of these couples shows us some believable PDA first. So far I’ve seen more attraction between Peaches and Little Craig.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Maybe Austen is more interested in Craig than Olivia. Why did he wake up flipping the air off saying, “fuck you Craig”? Wow. His little tiff with Craig was the first thought on his mind waking up? Then their little makeup and telling each other, “I love you”, lol. 

I agree, Austen and Olivia are definitely a fake couple. The only real couple on here besides The Pregnant Cousin and her nice seeming husband is (was) Shep & Taylor. They actually kiss and hug. Naomie sits five feet from Whitney on the couch “the morning after”. Laughable. 

I’ve thought Paige was so pretty but in the previews for next week she looks like an evil cartoon character with her super high arched eyebrows. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 4

Shep, yikes.

Reminds me of an ex.  I used to say he was a 9 year-old in big boy pants.

Getting so overly upset about an egg, and then the vitriol he directed at Taylor.  

And the fact that Taylor has obviously been "dealing" with this type of treatment for quite some time, tells you a lot about her as well.

While Naomi was "trying" to be a "good friend", glass houses, babe.

• Love 3

Here's where I am on this episode...

I don't think the way Shep spoke to Taylor in that moment was inherently abusive. I say this as someone who grew up in a legitimately verbally-abusive environment. There are families, and couples, who just talk to each other that way. My husband and I call each other "You fucking jackass" and playfully insult each other on a semi-regular basis and it's just part of our banter. We have a very loving and stable relationship, but I could see how if a reality show just filmed those instances without context it might look like we had serious problems! 

So my questions would be:

1- Would Shep be okay with Taylor talking that way back to him? I don't know but my hunch is probably not.

2- Is Taylor okay with this? It's only acceptable if it's fun for both parties, and it's CLEARLY NOT. And then, when Taylor got upset, Shep doubled down in an incredibly juvenile and, frankly, disturbing way. Really, it's compromising your principles to speak to someone in a way that doesn't make them cry? Yikes.

What's next for Shep, I wonder? Is there a female Shep out there who also doesn't want marriage/kids, who would like a non-monogamous relationship, and would engage in that level of banter? I honestly don't even feel like that would be attractive to Shep. More likely he'll find a doormat or a series of doormats.  And that is sad.

• Love 5
On 8/26/2022 at 11:18 AM, Babyfoot said:

Party of one here, but I actually like Whitney and Naomie as a couple, more so than Austen and Olivia, or Austen and Madison, or Austen and Chelsea, or Austen and Lyndsey, or Austen and Ciara, or Austen and his ménage a trois. 

I actually don't mind them so much either! But I also feel like there's a non-negligible chance that they aren't hooking up at all and just got together and decided to make this their storyline. It just doesn't ring true to me... But I guess weirder things have happened! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ladle said:

Here's where I am on this episode...

I don't think the way Shep spoke to Taylor in that moment was inherently abusive. I say this as someone who grew up in a legitimately verbally-abusive environment. There are families, and couples, who just talk to each other that way. My husband and I call each other "You fucking jackass" and playfully insult each other on a semi-regular basis and it's just part of our banter. We have a very loving and stable relationship, but I could see how if a reality show just filmed those instances without context it might look like we had serious problems! 

So my questions would be:

1- Would Shep be okay with Taylor talking that way back to him? I don't know but my hunch is probably not.

2- Is Taylor okay with this? It's only acceptable if it's fun for both parties, and it's CLEARLY NOT. And then, when Taylor got upset, Shep doubled down in an incredibly juvenile and, frankly, disturbing way. Really, it's compromising your principles to speak to someone in a way that doesn't make them cry? Yikes.

What's next for Shep, I wonder? Is there a female Shep out there who also doesn't want marriage/kids, who would like a non-monogamous relationship, and would engage in that level of banter? I honestly don't even feel like that would be attractive to Shep. More likely he'll find a doormat or a series of doormats.  And that is sad.

Yes!! I don’t think what Shep said in the moment rose to the levels of needing “an intervention” the way Naomi et al made it. However, the way Shep acted afterward was intervention-worthy. This almost makes it a chicken or the egg kind of situation: Was he just doubling down like if you’re going to tell me I’m abusive, I’ll give you abusive? I tend to think that the gang has probably seen some treatment in the past that they didn’t like and decide that as soon as he did something on camera, they were going to pounce. This is a pre-determined storyline, just like all of these fake romances. So at the utterance of “idiot,” Naomi’s entire script was ready to roll! Granted, I have no doubt she had Metul in mind of everything she wished she had told him when she had the chance, so Shep got a bit more than he deserved there. But once he started in with “I don’t apologize”—boy, you done lost us! Not to mention, he apologized to Craig the night before, so we know you can pull the words together, whether you mean it or not.

ETA: I might be conflating the “Shep intervention over Craig” and the “Shep intervention over Taylor.” But his reaction to what Naomi was saying and what he would and wouldn’t say to Taylor was worse than what he said when she stomped on his egg.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2022 at 1:04 PM, bichonblitz said:

These are all college educated people (I know hard to believe). They don't know what a "gait" is? Whit belongs in the 1950's. He reminds me of the type that spent too much time with adults when he was a kid because he was too much of a nerd to have friends his own age. 

I mean, not to defend Naomie and Austen, who may or may not be total idiots, but I think if someone said to me without context "We were talking about your gait" I would immediately think they were talking about a house/fence gate and be confused. And that's not because I don't know what a "gait" is but more because nobody really uses that word in everyday conversation unless maybe they're talking about horses. 

• Love 5
On 8/30/2022 at 4:19 AM, Back Atcha said:

Yeah, ugh, swing and a miss on trying to fill the Mother Hen role, Bravo. It's not working with Leva, who despite literally being a mother is more of a shit-stirrer than anything else. And it's not working with Marci, who seems like a normal and decent person but we don't really know her and she doesn't really have a connection to any of these people except for Shep. I didn't always love everything about Cameron but she worked in that role, and as the Greek chorus of the show. 

• Love 5
On 8/29/2022 at 5:10 AM, swankie said:

I think he did throw an egg back at her, or did I just imagine that?

He did. She was rubbing where it hit her and saying it hurt. I have a visceral dislike of Olivia, so far be it from me to defend her, but it actually seemed like she threw an egg at him playfully and he threw one back at her hard. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ladle said:

Yeah, ugh, swing and a miss on trying to fill the Mother Hen role, Bravo. It's not working with Leva, who despite literally being a mother is more of a shit-stirrer than anything else. And it's not working with Marci, who seems like a normal and decent person but we don't really know her and she doesn't really have a connection to any of these people except for Shep. I didn't always love everything about Cameron but she worked in that role, and as the Greek chorus of the show. 

But, haven't you heard? Marci is pregnant.

2 hours ago, ladle said:

Maybe it's just because I, too, dated assholes in my 20's but I am disproportionately invested in Taylor ending up with someone fucking fantastic.

Let's hope she does. She really can't get much worse than Shep.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ladle said:

I mean, not to defend Naomie and Austen, who may or may not be total idiots, but I think if someone said to me without context "We were talking about your gait" I would immediately think they were talking about a house/fence gate and be confused. And that's not because I don't know what a "gait" is but more because nobody really uses that word in everyday conversation unless maybe they're talking about horses. 

No kidding! What a weird compliment. I loved Naomie's reaction, "Why? Is it weird?" It made me like her more. I guess Whitney is okay, but his attempts at showing off his vocabulary fall short. Remember when he asked if the group wanted to go to their rooms and "decompose?" And then the gait comment. No, Naomie doesn't have an "elegant gait." She just walks like a normal human.

Oh, and Shep has demons. Why is he so angry and maladjusted? I almost felt sorry for him at the end. The guy has some major shit going on. Run, Taylor, Run! He won't get better with time. I dated a jerk in college and once he explained to me how men are really babies and how I'd have to put up with his temper tantrums, etc. Hell to the no on that one.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, queta said:

Oh, and Shep has demons. Why is he so angry and maladjusted?

He has become worse.  Being on television hasn't helped him; he probably thinks America loves his antics.  Andy Cohen obviously has a little crush.  Somehow Shep had his own show a few years ago.  Did Andy engineer that?

49 minutes ago, queta said:

I dated a jerk in college and once he explained to me how men are really babies and how I'd have to put up with his temper tantrums, etc.

I'm shocked that jerk was so self-aware.  Suppose he heard the explanation (complaint) often from all the women in his life ... including his pampering mother (eventually)?

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 8/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, izabella said:

This show started as a fun, lighthearted peek into the Charleston social scene among rich singles and their families and friends.  It's devolved into a dull, annoying slog through the bitter arguments of messy, dysfunctional people.

How these people really changed in eight years ... and most, not for the better.!

On 8/28/2022 at 7:17 AM, MrBuhBye said:

Shep’s defense seems to be that he is not picking on Taylor, he’s an asshole to everyone.

Let's hope he doesn't make a FATAL judgment call when spewing insults to another woman, man, or group.  Not EVERYONE knows Shep is a star.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2022 at 8:39 AM, TeeMo said:

He’s just behaving like a raving jackass at all times, refusing to apologize for it and telling Taylor he will keep being like this so she needs to decide if she can live with it.

What could have been.  Worse if she steeled herself to put up with his behaviors (because she luvvvvs him)...and wanted children so much that they had a couple of babies--babies that grew up seeing that.   And repeating....

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ladle said:

I have a visceral dislike of Olivia

Awww...poor needs-a-boyfriend Blandivia?

5 hours ago, ladle said:

I have a visceral dislike of Olivia, so far be it from me to defend her, but it actually seemed like she threw an egg at him playfully and he threw one back at her hard. 

• Because she got his shirt dirty.
  • Because he could truly gloat, "I win!"

Can you imagine most little boys in his elementary school--not equipped for Shep's mentality..."Win at all costs," no matter how or whom you injure?    Do ANY adults still play games of competition with him?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2022 at 6:58 AM, MrBuhBye said:

He actually believes that he is superior to anyone who works a normal job.  The delusion is strong.  Any moron can inherit money.  And what does he do with all his free time — write, paint, play music?  Nope.  Drink

For all of his arrogance, I wonder if anyone looks at Shep and thinks ... "Here's a guy whose parents set him up with a trust fund because they knew he'd never have gainful employment." He even says, he's the f**k up in the family.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2022 at 8:11 PM, RedInk said:

...because he made something of himself doesn’t mean she wasn’t justified at the time for resenting his lazy hobbies IMO. Remember old Craig? Lying about the bar exam and sleeping til the late afternoon. Making half a pillow for Kam’s baby shower?

Let's not forget that Craig is the king of gas lighting. We have watched him be emotionally abusive to all the women in his life. They may forget but they only have to look at old episodes, to be reminded. And we watched Craig gaslighting Paige when he appeared on Summer House.

A leopard doesn't change its spots.

• Love 2
On 8/30/2022 at 1:19 AM, Back Atcha said:

Error...Error...Error, Will Robinson.

I hope they find something for her because I love her. She's one of the few rational people on the show.

What an absolutely miserable episode.  Yuck.

Taylor seems like such a sweet and gentle soul.  She shows a real kindness to everyone and does it in a quiet way. I loved how she coached Shep in how to apologize to Craig.  But I always find myself thinking....does she have some hidden freak side?  Why would such a demure person (and possibly even religious???) attach themselves to Shep?  And from his choices in women, I wouldn't think a squeaky clean girl would even appeal to him.

I can't wrap myself around a man professing to love someone but vocalizing being equally fine and unmoved if that person chooses to leave him.  I really don't think Shep has likely spilled tears over Taylor leaving him.  Which means he never really did love her. 

I thought Marcie shared a very insightful bit of information: that Shep's parents are lovely, he was raised right, but this is how he's always been despite those facts.  

I love that Metul is openly spoken of as the horrible person that he is.  What I can't believe is that Naomi hasn't had some slander lawsuit slapped on her or some other legal action that would prevent her from talking about him on the show.  Everyone knows that reality tv participants have some pretty rabid and kooky fans.  I don't believe Naomi is the exception.  Which means that I'm sure Metul has faced at least some backlash.  I wonder how or if that's affected his career?    

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Taylor seems like such a sweet and gentle soul.  She shows a real kindness to everyone and does it in a quiet way. I loved how she coached Shep in how to apologize to Craig.  But I always find myself thinking....does she have some hidden freak side?  Why would such a demure person (and possibly even religious???) attach themselves to Shep?  And from his choices in women, I wouldn't think a squeaky clean girl would even appeal to him.

I can't wrap myself around a man professing to love someone but vocalizing being equally fine and unmoved if that person chooses to leave him.  I really don't think Shep has likely spilled tears over Taylor leaving him.  Which means he never really did love her. 

I thought Marcie shared a very insightful bit of information: that Shep's parents are lovely, he was raised right, but this is how he's always been despite those facts.  

I love that Metul is openly spoken of as the horrible person that he is.  What I can't believe is that Naomi hasn't had some slander lawsuit slapped on her or some other legal action that would prevent her from talking about him on the show.  Everyone knows that reality tv participants have some pretty rabid and kooky fans.  I don't believe Naomi is the exception.  Which means that I'm sure Metul has faced at least some backlash.  I wonder how or if that's affected his career?    

Love your whole post!

Re:  the bolded, as to why Metul hasn't slapped a slander suit one Naomi.  One reason:  If it's slander, it's a false statement.  Naomi hasn't made any false statements about Metul.  He did cheat, which is verifiable (he even admitted it).  Saying he's a jerk, controlling, etc., are all subjective terms and cannot be proven to be false.

Re:  Shep always speaking this way to his parents.  I blame his parents for allowing it.  They probably thought it was "cute", as Shep does it with that grin.  It used to be cute, Shep, but you're a grown man.  Ain't cute no more.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Taylor seems like a doll on the show for sure but I follow Shep on Instagram (I know 😂) and she seems like she loves to party hard as much as he does so I suspect that is where they found common ground. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, queta said:

I dated a jerk in college and once he explained to me how men are really babies and how I'd have to put up with his temper tantrums, etc. Hell to the no on that one.

I feel like a few of us here on this board may have dated the same guy...

• LOL 3
23 hours ago, Chalby said:
  On 8/26/2022 at 8:11 PM, RedInk said:

...because he made something of himself doesn’t mean she wasn’t justified at the time for resenting his lazy hobbies IMO. Remember old Craig? Lying about the bar exam and sleeping til the late afternoon. Making half a pillow for Kam’s baby shower?

I felt that Production was trying to redeem Whiny Craig...and it seems some viewers are taking the bait.  Production ain't foolin' me, Craig.  And the new girlfriend you've selected seems perfect for you.  Watch your back if you EVER do something that really ticks her off.

23 hours ago, Chalby said:

Let's not forget that Craig is the king of gas lighting. We have watched him be emotionally abusive to all the women in his life. They may forget but they only have to look at old episodes, to be reminded. And we watched Craig gaslighting Paige when he appeared on Summer House.

A leopard doesn't change its spots.

I agree.  WHAT is appealing about him?  WHAT does he think is so much better about him* than Whitney or the other guys--or Naomie?

*IQ (I doubt it) ~ Education ~ Attractiveness Quotient ~ Business Success ~ Charm ~ Wardrobe ~ Hahahahair?

Paige will sell her dark soul for a few minutes on television.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I felt that Production was trying to redeem Whiny Craig...and it seems some viewers are taking the bait.  Production ain't foolin' me, Craig.  And the new girlfriend you've selected seems perfect for you.  Watch your back if you EVER do something that really ticks her off.

I agree.  WHAT is appealing about him?  WHAT does he think is so much better about him* than Whitney or the other guys--or Naomie?

*IQ (I doubt it) ~ Education ~ Attractiveness Quotient ~ Business Success ~ Charm ~ Wardrobe ~ Hahahahair?

Paige will sell her dark soul for a few minutes on television.

Can you imagine Craig talking dirty with that nasally voice?

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Can you imagine Craig talking dirty with that nasally voice?

Much like David Beckham’s similar vocal curse, Craig’s nasally voice effectively ruins any bit of general hotness he might’ve had.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2022 at 3:22 AM, Chalby said:

7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yes, and Craig called out Kathryn for "sleeping with three guys at this table" and saying she didn't have class. Shep used to have sex with random women at every opportunity, but that was okay. I don't hate Craig, but he certainly acted like a jerk when he was with Naomie. He was so full of himself and didn't think he had to go into the office during work time, etc., because he was so much more intelligent than everyone else.  Even now he complains how Naomie was "so mean to me" when he was being irresponsible and lazy AF.

And Paige? Ug. I used to think she was okay, but she's so focused on men that she doesn't seem to have her own personality. She's boring, conventional, predictable, and a queen bee who still thinks she belongs at the cool table. No one cares, Paige. You're obviously dating Craig for screen time.

• Love 2