Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: It's a Roast

• Start Topic

The Kennedy Davenport Center Honors Hall of Shade 

The queens take the stage to roast each other at the first-ever Kennedy Davenport Center "Hall of Shade" Honors. Pulitzer prize-winning journalist, Ronan Farrow, joins the esteemed judges' panel. Air Date: Jul 14, 2022

I thought this was another strong episode.  Jinkx slayed the challenge and other than the plastic pearl necklace her runway was amazing.  I would have been fine with Trinity or Monet in the lip sync with Jinkx.

Clearly, some shenanigans coming next week as no block and RuPaul saying Where there's a will there's a way.  My hope is that the rumors about Shea whining and threatening to quit don't push into the finale ahead of Jaida or Trinity.  

I hope they join Jinkx in the final with Raja or Yvie.  But please, RuPaul, no Shea or Vivienne.

• Love 5

Jinkx slayed the roast AND the runway.  She’s such a lovable goofball.  She was also very kind to Trinity, and I appreciate that about her.  Shady queens can be fun, but not when they have a razor’s edge to them…and Jinkx never does.  And Trinity did surprisingly well, considering her history with roasts!

I loved the runway!  Those were some spectacular looks!

Wintergreen!!

I have also heard the rumors about Shea being…well, Shea…and throwing a bit of a fit over her lack of stars.  I’m sure she’ll make the finale, just because.  As long as she doesn’t win, I don’t guess I care.

Jinkx for the win!!  She really has been the strongest competitor, with five wins and four stars.

• Love 8

It appears quite obvious at this point that Jinkx is going to win the season, and deservedly so. 

47 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

I have also heard the rumors about Shea being…well, Shea…and throwing a bit of a fit over her lack of stars.  I’m sure she’ll make the finale, just because.  As long as she doesn’t win, I don’t guess I care.

Well if Shea does make the finale it would be quite ridiculous so I hope she doesn't. I was afraid they were going to give her a star this episode just to make the race more exciting (for whom, I do not know) but thank the universe they didn't. 

So at this point, IIRC, Jinkx has 4 stars and already qualified for the finale, Trinity and Jaida have 3 stars, everyone else has 2 and Shea has 1. Did they say (and I missed it) what they're going to do in case of a tie (which is inevitable at this point)? I would be happy with Jinkx, Raja, Trinity and Jaida as the four finalists. I love Raja just the teensiest bit less than Jinkx, and I thought she should've been in the top two this week because her roast was hilarious. Her delivery is impeccable and I'll never grow tired of saying how gorgeous she is. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

It appears quite obvious at this point that Jinkx is going to win the season, and deservedly so. 

Well if Shea does make the finale it would be quite ridiculous so I hope she doesn't. I was afraid they were going to give her a star this episode just to make the race more exciting (for whom, I do not know) but thank the universe they didn't. 

So at this point, IIRC, Jinkx has 4 stars and already qualified for the finale, Trinity and Jaida have 3 stars, everyone else has 2 and Shea has 1. Did they say (and I missed it) what they're going to do in case of a tie (which is inevitable at this point)? I would be happy with Jinkx, Raja, Trinity and Jaida as the four finalists. I love Raja just the teensiest bit less than Jinkx, and I thought she should've been in the top two this week because her roast was hilarious. Her delivery is impeccable and I'll never grow tired of saying how gorgeous she is. 

I’m assuming if there is a tie to qualify they will have a lipsync smack down maybe?

This runway was so so so good; there wasn't a single one I didn't like. My favorites were Jinkx, Yvie & Raja. I also loved the roast and everyone got at least one laugh from me. Poor Jaida - but at least she could make fun of herself, which was the only time I laughed with hers. 

I had no idea re: Shea's reputation. Interesting. I would have guessed that from Viv - she has a sour look on her face often (but maybe that's the botox ;) ).

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Neeners said:

This runway was so so so good; there wasn't a single one I didn't like. My favorites were Jinkx, Yvie & Raja. I also loved the roast and everyone got at least one laugh from me. Poor Jaida - but at least she could make fun of herself, which was the only time I laughed with hers. 

I had no idea re: Shea's reputation. Interesting. I would have guessed that from Viv - she has a sour look on her face often (but maybe that's the botox ;) ).

No, I think your 1st impression is correct. Viv gets a certain sour look consistently when she doesn't win or is blocked from a star, and even just at catching shade about something she doesn't like. On social media she insists it's all for TV. Which is interesting if Shea is being all smiles for TV and throwing fits BTS.

My money is still on Jinkx. There will definitely be shenanigans next week. Notice Ru said no one could be blocked from winning starS...not blocked from winning A star. They'll manufacture suspense if they don't see enough (and I'm not mad about it). 

I thought it was funny when Jinkx called out Monet and Trinity for being too obvious and then totally unsubtly walked by them trying to hear...completing the circle of ppl thinking they're slick when they aren't. Is Jinkx Wiccan? She refers to being a witch a lot but the way she delivers it makes me wonder if she's making a reference to a general mysticism she identifies with, or is an actual practicing pagan. I'm just curious.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I thought this was another strong episode.  Jinkx slayed the challenge and other than the plastic pearl necklace her runway was amazing.  I would have been fine with Trinity or Monet in the lip sync with Jinkx.

I would have been fine with Raja joining Jinkx in the top this week, as this would also have been the correct choice. Raja had to go first -- flashback to season three! -- and gets extra points in my book for that. She was also consistently funny and had great pacing. Her runway, needless to say, was also stunning and well conceived, and only marginally behind Jinkx and Yvie for me.

• Love 4

I am so glad that Jinkx is slaying it, with her many talents AND runways!  I couldn't handle it if she didn't get a spot in the finale, after all her wins and top placements.  

I really loved the roasts and runway looks.  I thought Yvie and Raja both were deserving of being in the top, as well as Shea, who has been doing very well consistently, but hasn't been chosen to be in the top two, except the first episode. Oh, and I liked The Viv's roast and runway look, too.  (Oh, my!  I guess I liked them all!) I'm glad Trinity was able to redeem herself with a hilarious roast, but I wasn't overwhelmed with her runway look.  It was very colorful and exuberant, but I thought it looked kind of -dare I say- cheap?  Vegas-y is a word I would use.  Monet's dress was gorgeous, though I liked both hers and Jaida's best in the light- the colors were stunning!

Twists are a'coming!  Who knows what will happen next?!

• Love 4

Most has already been said, but I just watched it, and Jinx nailed the lipsync. The song was a poppy song, so it seemed to flow well with her jester antics, and it was just enjoyable to watch her on the stage. And I had real Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland vibes from her lipsync outfit, which fit the song choice surprisingly well, 

Trinity's lipsync was good, but felt more standard IMO, like it was a lot of things we've seen before. But I loved how the All Star lipsyncs seem to interact with each other on the stage more than is acceptable in the elimination lip syncs. 

• Love 3

I so adore Jinkx and she is just the funniest queen to me. I think Trinity was also great and she seems to be a nice person. Shea and Viv both seem standoffish and kind of entitled. I really loved Yvie on her season and still like her but she seems like she is holding back here or just isn’t at the same level as the others. Raja is amazing, talented and humble. The roast was funny except for Jaida, and I enjoyed all the light up outfits. Jinkx for the win!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Christine said:

Second time we've seen a balloon mini-challenge, and I'm down with that.  I think the queens laugh more than I do, but it's still quite amusing.

Didn't we see a balloon mini-challenge in the "talent show" episode of Drag Race Down Under

(edited)

I watched the Roscoe's viewing party with Trinity as a guest and she said Jinkx fell after her cartwheel and everyone including Jinkx was very surprised she won.

Since Jinkx is definitely going to the finale I don't see why they would need to manipulate a lipsync win but ok. 

Other tea...apparently at some point Raja told Michelle Visage she wasn't qualified to judge anyone (according to Trinity there were negative critiques but they've been edited out), and a lot of good jokes got cut out of the roasts, especially the Vivienne's, which Viv confirmed on Twitter in a series of now deleted tweets. Idk I'm just the messenger.

• Useful 6
8 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Didn't we see a balloon mini-challenge in the "talent show" episode of Drag Race Down Under

I haven't seen that version.  I know there was a challenge in season 14 of regular Drag Race.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

I watched the Roscoe's viewing party with Trinity as a guest and she said Jinkx fell after her cartwheel and everyone including Jinkx was very surprised she won.

Since Jinkx is definitely going to the finale I don't see why they would need to manipulate a lipsync win but ok. 

1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I think most people think Trinity won the lip sync.  My guess is  Jinkx was so much better than others on runway and the roast that RuPaul gave it to her anyway.

I didn’t think Trinity won the lip sync.  I do like Trinity a lot and won’t be a bit disappointed if she makes the finale, but her signature LSFYL style is to simulate sex with her opponent and writhe around the floor suggestively.  Which is fabulous for some songs, but not all.

Jinkx camps it up for her lip syncs, and Ru eats that up.  I think unless it’s a very moody, emotional song, Ru would rather be laughing his ass off at some foolishness than watching some straight-up dance performance.

I admit that I’m a hardcore Jinkx fan, but I preferred her goofy dancing and failed cartwheel to Trinity’s performance, which was more bachelor party to me.  YMMV, as always.

I watched the episode again after seeing Viv get frustrated on social media about her best jokes being cut.  I would dearly love to see an uncut version of the roast…bet that was incredible!  But editing happens, and ultimately Ru is the one who decides who wins, who loses, who comes off looking great, and who comes off looking the fool.  Until you take your complaints to social media and let the people decide.  I get being salty, and honestly, I understand being frustrated that what she thought was funny got cut.  But unless they showed every minute of every other queen’s performance and cut only Viv’s, her putting the show on blast just looks like sour grapes.  I can pretty much guess that she’s not winning this.

Raja did a good opening, and I thought she had some good roasts in there. Her runway was very Raja…high concept, high fashion, gorgeous.  Her best shots were about Monet and Shea.

Yvie was funny, but her best shot was calling Monet her favorite winner of AllStars Four, and her Jinkx joke.  Her runway was beautiful, and I think she could have won, but she had to throw the “oddly” in there with the flashing grill.  That ruined it for me.  I also didn’t like the wig.

Shea was fine, but her best jokes were calling Trinity dumb and Raja forgotten.  I loved her runway!

I thought Jinkx was hilarious, but a few too many “Yvie’s dick” jokes.  Her best joke was “let’s just be cousins”.   Her runway was my favorite.  I love that she always has a storyline, not just “I feel cute!”

Trinity was really funny!  I didn’t think she had it in her, but I’m glad she did.  Her funniest joke was about Jinkx’s husband dressing her up as a piñata, because he likes to be blindfolded before he hits it.  That, and telling Yvie, “Don’t ever let anyone tell you you’re not pretty.  You’re not, but don’t let them tell you that.”  Her runway was just okay to me.  The glowing effect is cool, but when the lights are so many colors, I think it cheapens the look.

Monet.  I admit, I don’t like Monet.  Her best jokes were “the teeth of a baby”, and “the messence of beauty” towards Jaida.  And she was overall funny, but I liked when Viv shot back, “I’m thinner than you, bitch!”  Her runway was really pretty, but there were large areas that didn’t glow and that made it seem a little dull.

Jaida was a hot mess.  The only good joke she had was calling Monet a fake ass bitch and the disparaging remarks about her own bombing.  Her runway was very pretty.

The Viv, well, I have to believe her best jokes were cut, because although she was funny, it seemed very much like a bunch of one-liners with no through-line.  Her runway was pretty, but I hated the wig (hate hate hate pussycat wigs) and she also suffered from too many colors, like Trinity.

• Love 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I didn’t think Trinity won the lip sync.  I do like Trinity a lot and won’t be a bit disappointed if she makes the finale, but her signature LSFYL style is to simulate sex with her opponent and writhe around the floor suggestively.  Which is fabulous for some songs, but not all.

Jinkx camps it up for her lip syncs, and Ru eats that up.  I think unless it’s a very moody, emotional song, Ru would rather be laughing his ass off at some foolishness than watching some straight-up dance performance.

I admit that I’m a hardcore Jinkx fan, but I preferred her goofy dancing and failed cartwheel to Trinity’s performance, which was more bachelor party to me.  YMMV, as always.

Minority report! I didn't like either lipsync performance. Trinity was a hardened pro, expertly and coldly going through the motions to get her dollar;  you could tell that she'd done it a thousand times before, and would do it exactly the same way again, and probably that same night. Jinkx decided that she was going to retreat to her happy space, but didn't bother to take us with her, either: a weirdly, and unsatisfyingly, Elmo of a performance. The song itself was all right.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

A joke; I was referencing Karen From Finance's balloon animal.

Went right over my head!  It's all I can do to keep up with the regular US Drag Race and the All Stars.  There are so many different iterations out there now that I'd be lost.  I started watching only 3 years ago, and I caught up with all past seasons of both of the above when I retired 2 years ago.  Might be easier if ALL shows were on one channel, streaming or otherwise...or are they and I am just not aware of this.

• Love 2

In Canada at least, they seem to be mostly all on one service. I've watched UK, All Stars, Mothership, Canada and Aussie all on Crave TV's services. Netflix (Canada) tends to have the Mothership and AllStars but I don't think it normally gets the other regions. 

• Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

In Canada at least, they seem to be mostly all on one service. I've watched UK, All Stars, Mothership, Canada and Aussie all on Crave TV's services. Netflix (Canada) tends to have the Mothership and AllStars but I don't think it normally gets the other regions. 

Crave doesn't have Espana, Netherlands, Thailand,  or Italia. It's also, mysteriously and inexplicably, missing All Stars Untucked. I had a subscription to OUTtv, which had some of those other franchises, but not enough of the whole. Canada's drag coverage is still something of a mess.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1

To me, the best part of the episode was The Viv’s stank face when Jinkx won. Jinkx is clearly her White Whale; too bad for her she doesn’t have a strong enough harpoon.

I thought all the gowns were gorgeous. I would have been hard pressed to pick a winner.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, stormy weather said:

So at this point, IIRC, Jinkx has 4 stars and already qualified for the finale, Trinity and Jaida have 3 stars, everyone else has 2 and Shea has 1. 

My prediction for next episode is Shea and one of the 2-star queens will win. Shea, to allow her to catch up and save face, and a 2-star queen to create a clear Final Four with no muss, no fuss. I would love it if that fourth queen were Yvie, but I sadly don’t think that’s in the cards. I think it will be either Raja or Monet, and of the two I’m pulling for Raja.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

Damn. I really hope your prediction is wrong. Having said that, I think there's only been one series when my actual favorite won, so I don't have much hope for Jinkx (Sorry, Jinkx! I tried not to like you, but it was impossible).

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 7/18/2022 at 1:09 AM, CraftyHazel said:

The Viv, well, I have to believe her best jokes were cut, because although she was funny, it seemed very much like a bunch of one-liners with no through-line.  Her runway was pretty, but I hated the wig (hate hate hate pussycat wigs) and she also suffered from too many colors, like Trinity.

The Viv said on Twitter that her favorite cut joke was "Trinity has been canceled more times than AJ and the Queen". I think that tweet is still up...she deleted a few complaining about the edit. They weren't that bad IMO, she had just said she was really looking forward to watching it and was disappointed when her best material was left out but she understood they had to make a TV show. 

The more I hear the more I understand from a production standpoint, tbh...each roast was 10 minutes long and they had to make something cohesive. Although I do wish there was an unedited version available on YT or something as a fan extra. Also I'm just going to throw this in: I am very physically attracted to Sarge but ONLY as Wintergreen so now I have to reexamine my entire sexual identity I guess. 🤷‍♀️

I'm starting to believe the rumors about Shea. She's been responding to and liking tweets that are implying there were shenanigans and that the show was set up for Jinkx to win but the queens can't talk about it due to their NDA.

Spoiler

Which seems especially sour grapey since she makes Top 4 next week for her talent show performance. 

• Love 2

As much as I loved seeing the sassy Wintergreen again, it was sacrilege, sacrilege I say!, that Miss Kennedy Davenport wasn't actually present on this ep. She is a true national treasure and should've been sitting on a throne as the roast commenced. 

ITA with so many previous posts but I gasped when I saw Raja and Yvie's runways. Gor-geous. Also loved Jinkx's. Those three also had my personal fave roasts. 

• Love 2

Jinks Monsoon looks like she's having so much fun when she's performing that it's honestly a joy to watch. Both in the roast and in the lipsync she was both very funny and happy to be there and perform, I'm so amazed by her in lots of ways.

I loved Raja's reaction to realising there is no secret to the plunger. Raja gives me gender envy.

• Love 5

Raja's reaction to the plunger was great. Just the idea of the plunger having a secret power makes sense and this fakeout could probably only have been done on an AllStars type show. 

Everyone here has been through the reality show wringer before (sometimes multiple times). So they're well aware of the underlying tropes of Reality Shows. So the Platinum Plunger MacGuffin having a secret power just makes sense in the Reality Show environment. That everyone realized that it really didn't have a secret power, but they kept playing along with it, basically GAVE it a secret power... .The power that it is powerless. :) 

All in all, I'm fine with the Platinum Plunger mechanic, especially in a series that is non-elimination. Sure some were bitter to have been blocked (*cough The Viv *cough cough* ), but it's part of the game and an extra push to do well to make sure  you wouldn't be blocked and/or to keep a star from going out so you don't have as muhc to catch up to. 

• Love 1

Hmmmm...not buying all of this saltiness about Jinkx being set up for a win. Jinkx is head and shoulders above most of them in talent, and their drag (though traditional) is eons beyond what it was on their initial season. This show is not just about being able to turn a look and beat a face. Jinkx delivers on every level.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
On 7/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, The Mighty Peanut said:

I watched the Roscoe's viewing party with Trinity as a guest and she said Jinkx fell after her cartwheel and everyone including Jinkx was very surprised she won

According to an interview with The Vivienne, Jinkx actually landed her cartwheel, so who knows?  I love Jinkx, but I got the impression from the cuts and Jinkx’s comment afterwards that she didn’t.

8 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

According to an interview with The Vivienne, Jinkx actually landed her cartwheel, so who knows?  I love Jinkx, but I got the impression from the cuts and Jinkx’s comment afterwards that she didn’t.

That's odd. Trinity had said to watch how they edit the cartwheel so it cuts away before the landing...sure enough, it did. Maybe they reshot and she landed the 2nd? This show and their shenanigans. 

12 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

“why did I think a cartwheel (in a corset) was a good idea?” My take was she thought it be easier then it was … lol 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, susannot said:

OMG I just watched this episode and they were all hilarious but especially Jinkx. Why didn't any of the queens roast Ronan?  

She's a Pulitzer Prize winning investigative reporter, can you imagine how much illegal shit she could dig up on the queens?!