Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/20/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, June 20 – “The View” honors Juneteenth with Ben Crump (“Civil”); Jon Batiste; performance from Kirk Franklin, Maverick City Music and Jordan Hollins  

Tuesday, June 21 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Kristen Bell (co-author, “The World Needs More Purple Schools”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Wednesday, June 22 – Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Julie Andrews (“Minions: The Rise of Gru”); Luke Hemsworth (“Westworld”)

Thursday, June 23 – The Political View with White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre  

Friday, June 24 – Performance from Regina Spektor (album, “Home, before and after”); Superfan surprise

13 hours ago, geekburger said:

Lindsey looking like the new front runner, especially after Alyssa not even being on all scheduled shows this week.

The odd thing is she was listed for all 5 days, but usually the guest co-hosts are only there three days a week. And then she ended up not being but three days like usual, despite the listing. I wonder if they weren't sure which days she'd be on, since Ana's usually on Monday's and Friday's, but her two days have been Thursday's and Friday's lately. I see Lindsey is only listed for two days.

Pretty good guest lineup this week.

Im disappointed that they never invited any of the other female DBL hosts to guest host. Lindsey has always been the least used host of the show (and the most boring). Although the way the ladies fuss over pictures of her baby, I’m starting to think that they keep inviting her just to show pictures of her baby. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Im disappointed that they never invited any of the other female DBL hosts to guest host. Lindsey has always been the least used host of the show (and the most boring). Although the way the ladies fuss over pictures of her baby, I’m starting to think that they keep inviting her just to show pictures of her baby. 

Agreed - Samantha Schacher, Tory Shulman and Erica Cobb would all fit in beautifully on The View but none of them are conservatives (at least the latter two). Lindsey is a conservative thus she is a contender for the fifth chair.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The odd thing is she was listed for all 5 days, but usually the guest co-hosts are only there three days a week. And then she ended up not being but three days like usual, despite the listing. 

The 1/6 hearings definitely had a lot to do with that. I am not complaining!!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

If she only shows pics of her baby instead of yelling over the other hosts I'd be ok with her being there,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Yesterday's show was kinda boring but they talked about Behind the Table, the reunion between Joy, Meredith, Star and Debbie.  It is on Hulu and I watched it last night.  They still have chemistry and if they reunited for a show I would pay to watch it.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yesterday's show was kinda boring but they talked about Behind the Table, the reunion between Joy, Meredith, Star and Debbie.  It is on Hulu and I watched it last night.  They still have chemistry and if they reunited for a show I would pay to watch it.

really?  i loved all the singing - had never heard of Maverick City Music but they were wonderful.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I’ve really gotten to the point that I can’t stand Lindsey.  

EMTs standing by for when she hyperventilates from talking so fast and passes out.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, limestation said:

Leave it to Prissy Missy I'm-So-Offended Sunny to slag off a CHILDREN'S BOOK!!!! 

Somebody needs to relax.

I have not seen the segment yet but I hope Sunny points out that purple people nonsense is fucking stupid. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I’ve really gotten to the point that I can’t stand Lindsey.  

EMTs standing by for when she hyperventilates from talking so fast and passes out.

I does seem like on the fluffier topics her speech slows down.   But on political topics she's talking so fast that I think she loses track of what her argument is.   

• Love 8
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I does seem like on the fluffier topics her speech slows down.   But on political topics she's talking so fast that I think she loses track of what her argument is.   

She triggers my anxiety much like Meghan did. If they choose her, I am out.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, limestation said:

Leave it to Prissy Missy I'm-So-Offended Sunny to slag off a CHILDREN'S BOOK!!!! 

Somebody needs to relax.

I was curious about this comment and The View was pre-empted in my area, so I ended up going to YouTube to see this segment.  It did seem as though Sunny didn't get the premise of the original book. She said she read it but felt that it encouraged "color blindness"*, which she disdains and told Kristin that she thought the book was "off the mark" for that reason.  She asked if Kristin had "course corrected" with the second book in reaction to what (to Sunny) was a lot of criticism. I think Kristin responded well to this and kept the conversation on the topic of her new book without getting diverted to specific criticisms. 

I have to say, I think it is presumptuous of anyone to suggest to any author that they needed to "course correct" their message, whatever message that is. It suggests that there is a "right" message to be given and if the author doesn't deliver that, they need to be "corrected".  You may not agree with the message, you may dislike the message, the message may be silly, trite, or fringe, but it isn't really up to you to tell them that their message is "wrong". If you feel the message is so bad, misguided, immature, or whatever, then don't buy (or borrow) the book. I'm sure Sunny would be offended if someone told her that she needed to "course correct" the messages of her books because they don't align with the reader's.  Readers bring their own experiences to a book, and 100 readers may have 100 different reactions to it, each based on their own lives. The author gets to deliver their message, and the readers can like it or not, but they should not expect the author to change their message to suit the reader, the times, or society.

* Kristin said that was not the intent of the book at all. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

While I agree "correct messaging" feels icky.   I took Sunny's criticism was that the book may have an an unintended message of colorblindness that the author did not intend.  And she was happy to see it better explained/clarified in the second book.   Historically America has sold this melting pot narrative about American culture, when in reality it was more about demanding marginalized communities to assimilate into the dominant culture.  (And deemed dominant culture superior) I haven't read the book, so I'm speculating that it is what Sunny is reacting to.   I think Kristen did a fine job with the handling the question and moving the conversation forward.   Although I had to chuckle at her trying to dismiss Twitter criticism when she is fairly active there.  

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, After7Only said:

While I agree "correct messaging" feels icky.   I took Sunny's criticism was that the book may have an an unintended message of colorblindness that the author did not intend.  And she was happy to see it better explained/clarified in the second book.   Historically America has sold this melting pot narrative about American culture, when in reality it was more about demanding marginalized communities to assimilate into the dominant culture.  (And deemed dominant culture superior) I haven't read the book, so I'm speculating that it is what Sunny is reacting to.   I think Kristen did a fine job with the handling the question and moving the conversation forward.   Although I had to chuckle at her trying to dismiss Twitter criticism when she is fairly active there.  

As you said, the message of colorblindness was not intended by Kristin. It was Sunny's interpretation of the text. Every reader brings something of themselves to every book and it affects the way they react to the book. I think that Sunny gave the impression with her question that Kristin needed to correct the message of her first book and in Sunny's opinion, book #2 met Sunny's expectation. I think that every author is entitled to write whatever message they want, and the expectation that their message needs to conform to Sunny's (or my) world view is arrogant. As an author, I thought Sunny would be more sensitive to this.

Without straying too far away from the program, is Sunny's concern "color blindness" or "melting pot"? I think these are different. My recollection may be dated, but color blindness was not considered to be a bad thing for a long time, with the idea being that considerations of race should be ignored in favor of more individual qualifications (ex. auditions for orchestras where the candidates' race, gender, even names are unknown to the judges). As far as the melting pot concept goes, is there any country where the dominant culture doesn't expect some degree of assimilation from smaller groups/communities? As new groups come in, the dominant culture is also changed, and usually for the better.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

sorry Sunny but lay off for once. I remember Kristen was actually pretty upset in 2020 when she started getting this criticism out of the blue from people who most definitely didn't read it. even if they did, come on it's a children's book. Kristen is so nice I just didn't like her having to get defensive towards the end of a lovely interview.

• Love 2

Slow week on The View. Not surprised considering there's less than a month and a half before break, I believe. I bet they're counting the days. I don't think Sara and Whoopi even gave an opinion in the second segment, lol.

UO perhaps, but I've always liked Kristen Bell and enjoyed the flashback to her on The View years ago with the big hair.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, After7Only said:

Best example of that today was when they were talking about John Cornyn and she had to be brought back down to earth twice before she finally understood what Joy had said. If you don't even have a grasp on what you're responding to, why are you talking....

• Love 7

I have to say, for this being the 25th season, Show has done a horrible job of showing the viewers the many hosts, not to mention clips over the past 25 years. I don’t think it would have been crazy to actually show clips of Bawa-you know, the woman who CREATED this show?

As for today, just what was Lindsey blathering on about how “most Republicans” were for background checks? Or everything else she was saying? Because reality (bills not passing) is the opposite and contradicts what she was saying. Then after that backandforthbackandforth with Sunny, she back pedals and states they’re “for A”  type of or limited background check, which is supposed to be a positive? And as the ladies have said on this show many times and even today, it’s the PEOPLE -majority of them-that are for more extensive background checks.

Lindsey can take several seats.

I’m going to just watch my Vega$ and 🥰😍🥰swoon🥰😍🥰 over Robert Urich and his SEXAYNESS.

Whaaat??

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have to say, for this being the 25th season, Show has done a horrible job of showing the viewers the many hosts, not to mention clips over the past 25 years. I don’t think it would have been crazy to actually show clips of Bawa-you know, the woman who CREATED this show?

A couple of weeks ago one of the clips showed early Baba Wawa and I remember thinking - why don't we see one every time they show clips since they must have more clips of Barbara than of any other host? There would be no The View without Barbara.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, deirdra said:

A couple of weeks ago one of the clips showed early Baba Wawa and I remember thinking - why don't we see one every time they show clips since they must have more clips of Barbara than of any other host? There would be no The View without Barbara.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I don't need nor want to see clips of Barbara.   Back in the day when watching the show when i would see her walk out I would be disappointed that she was there.  Much like Whoopi I felt like she changed the tone of the show and not for the better.  

10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Best example of that today was when they were talking about John Cornyn and she had to be brought back down to earth twice before she finally understood what Joy had said. If you don't even have a grasp on what you're responding to, why are you talking....

She just kept rambling on.  And she could not be more wrong about her party.  Has she not been paying attention?  As Joy told her the fringe is now mainstream.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

My heart breaks for those ladies.  There is a special place in hell for people who would threaten a grandmother. It’s appalling.

Oh, sheesh, here goes Whoopi on a rant about taxes.

You know the old parlor game of inviting anyone in the world/history to dinner? I think Julie Andrews would be one of my choices. She is just so interesting and lovely. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 15

As I've said before, I liked Lindsey on DBL (infotainment/pop culture panel show), but ever since she began appearing on this show my respect for her fell dramatically. I don't know if she is honestly willfully ignorant and naive, or what. Lindsey, it's much worse NOT to do something in this case. Shame on you.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, geekburger said:

Kristen was a great interview.

Love the old clips!

I liked Kristin's hair in the old clip more than I liked her recent hairstyle. It was softer looking, and on yesterday's show it looked kind of flat and had that "wet look" that isn't flattering for many people. 

She doesn't seem to have aged much at all, though! Still looks like Veronica Mars. 

• Love 1

It did seem as though Sunny didn't get the premise of the original book. She said she read it but felt that it encouraged "color blindness"*, which she disdains and told Kristin that she thought the book was "off the mark" for that reason.  She asked if Kristin had "course corrected" with the second book in reaction to what (to Sunny) was a lot of criticism. I think Kristin responded well to this and kept the conversation on the topic of her new book without getting diverted to specific criticisms. 

To MY ears, anyway, it sounded like Sunny took issue with a children's book, that was written by a Liberal but to her, wasn't Liberal enough. And can I just say that Sunny's husband and still-at-home children, have my utmost sympathy.

• LOL 2
(edited)

I really dislike the Kristin Bell purple people thing for this reason: I grew up in the Deep South where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a racist. One of the things I have heard nearly all of them say "I am the least racist person you will meet. I don't care if you are purple, green or red, I will treat you the same".   Curiously, they never used colors that human beings actually are and NEVER mention the color black or brown. THAT is the main reason I do not like the purple people idea.   It reminds me of that stupid FB meme about stick people getting along despite their different political views. You cannot compromise or get aloing with people who want to deny your humanity.  I used to like Bell until I saw she was in business with Phil McGraw and she started oversharing about her marriage and not bathing her kids. The Purple People was the straw.

Another interesting tidbit about Southern racists-they will unabashedly use the N-word but whisper the word black.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I don't know if she is honestly willfully ignorant and naive, or what. Lindsey, it's much worse NOT to do something in this case. Shame on you.

I don't understand how she is a serious contender for that seat.  She has said so many things that are just unbelievably stupid. Like the things she said Biden could do by executive order. And for me she doesn't even seem likable.  I might not like Grisham and Griffin's politics but if I had to sit at a table with them for an hour and talk hot topics I could do it.  But talking to Lindsey would make me want to pull my hair out.  She is one of those people who doesn't let the fact she doesn't know what she is talking about prevent her from continuing to talk.  

With regards to Kristin Bell she starred in one my all time favorite shows Veronica Mars.  But there has always been something about her that made me not quite like her.  To this day I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like her  but her marrying Dax Shepherd made me think I'm right. 

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't understand how she is a serious contender for that seat.  She has said so many things that are just unbelievably stupid. Like the things she said Biden could do by executive order. And for me she doesn't even seem likable.  I might not like Grisham and Griffin's politics but if I had to sit at a table with them for an hour and talk hot topics I could do it.  But talking to Lindsey would make me want to pull my hair out.  She is one of those people who doesn't let the fact she doesn't know what she is talking about prevent her from continuing to talk.  

Ehhhhh...I don't think I could. The fact that they both worked in the former administration ruins both of them for me re: this job. Honestly, these are the best contenders out there? Scary.

• Love 1
(edited)

Lindsey is a moron.

When they were talking about pardons, she threw in how “they” (I’m thinking she meant Congress) pardoned Nixon. No, “they” did not. “They” were going to impeach him, so he resigned before they could. President Ford pardoned him. Reasons why would veer into off topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lindsey is a moron.

When they were talking about pardons, she threw in how “they” (I’m thinking she meant Congress) Nixon. No, “they” did not. “They” were going to impeach him, so he resigned before they could. President Ford pardoned him. Reasons why would veer into off topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

Well, it was before she was born so why would she know?  🤣

Between that and Whoopi not knowing that Mitch McConnell is not the head of Adam Kinzinger’s Congressional caucus makes me think they can all use a civics class. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lindsey is a moron.

When they were talking about pardons, she threw in how “they” (I’m thinking she meant Congress) Nixon. No, “they” did not. “They” were going to impeach him, so he resigned before they could. President Ford pardoned him. Reasons why would veer into off topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

Wait a minute.  She thinks Congress pardoned Nixon?  To quote Frasier Crane Oh My God.   Seriously View.  You think she is one of the best candidates for that seat?

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Wait a minute.  She thinks Congress pardoned Nixon?  To quote Frasier Crane Oh My God.   Seriously View.  You think she is one of the best candidates for that seat?

Yes. They were talking about how the Republicans during Watergate were against Nixon, and the talks about pardons, and then Lindsey said “They pardoned him” and my jaw dropped at the ignorance. She didn’t say “President Ford” or “Trump” if she was adding her opinion what the latter could do for himself.

It’s clear from what she’s said, she doesn’t want anything to come of these hearings.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Well, it was before she was born so why would she know?  🤣

Between that and Whoopi not knowing that Mitch McConnell is not the head of Adam Kinzinger’s Congressional caucus makes me think they can all use a civics class. 

OY. Whoopi doesn't know that McConnell is a Senator and Kinzinger is a Representative? Why am I not surprised?

No matter who they pick, it won't be good. Too bad we just can't clone Ana so she could be the permanent fifth chair while still staying in Miami. 

On a happy note, it was great to see world renowned treasure Julie Andrews. She made today's show worthwhile.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

On a happy note, it was great to see world renowned treasure Julie Andrews. She made today's show worthwhile.

Notice how everybody was smiling  relaxed and happy.  Even Lindsey put her sword down and just enjoyed the moment..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I can’t remember if it was on Tuesday’s or yesterday’s episode but Lindsay Grainger used the term “subscribe by” at least twice, as in “I couldn’t subscribe by that.” Lindsay, dear, the proper term is “subscribe to.”

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Whoopi's right that "state's rights" only ever came into conversation when it concerned women's rights, LGBT rights, etc. It was never really about state independence.

Ana Navarro talking about how the decision is "tonedeaf" because of the bipartisan gun control legislation happening in the Senate--it almost feels like the decision came out at this specific moment as a response to that bill happening.

• Sad 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Another day, another appalling event.

I had to miss most of the second segment with Karine but came in in time to hear Whoopi ask about tax breaks. Give it a rest, Whoopi. You are a gazillionaire and can afford to pay taxes.

I always enjoyed Karine Jean-Pierre as a guest commentator on msnbc shows. Smart lady. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9

You can tell Joy, Sunny and Ana are really upset by this SCOTUS decision, as am I.  They look totally deflated and Sara and Whoopi are doing most of the heavy lifting (at the show's start anyway, we'll see if that changes).  

• Sad 2
  • Love 2

I normally don’t get to watch The View but I wanted to see what Karine Jean-Pierre had to say. So far I’m impressed with her. But I wish they had her in an office or somewhere other than where she is, watching a dog do his business on a tree in the background was distracting. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I normally don’t get to watch The View but I wanted to see what Karine Jean-Pierre had to say. So far I’m impressed with her. But I wish they had her in an office or somewhere other than where she is, watching a dog do his business on a tree in the background was distracting. 

Haha! Not to mention the many people walking around the grounds. I noticed that some of them were obviously security guards, but others just seemed to be strolling about. 

• Love 1