Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E24: Sea Moss; The Players Trunk; Aqua Training Bag; Project Pollo

• Start Topic

Season Finale

Kevin Hart - actor, investor and entrepreneur - brings his unique perspective and desire to inspire the country's sharpest entrepreneurs in an all-new episode.

An entrepreneur from Wellington, Florida, introduces his line of health products using nature's most powerful superfood. Former college students from Chicago, Illinois, pitch their online marketplace designed to help current and past college athletes cash in on their fame; while a professional boxer from Houston, Texas, steps into the ring and presents his all-in-one total body fitness tool designed to take your workouts to the next level. A vegan entrepreneur from San Antonio, Texas, presents his plant-based approach to a fast-food favorite.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Guest Shark Kevin Hart.

• Love 1
(edited)

Season Finale-Kevin Hart is the guest, with Kevin, Lori, Barbara, Mark, 

1. Sea Moss-seller used to weigh over 500 lbs., went Vegan, and eats Sea Moss to get 90% of essential minerals humans need.   There are flavors, Banana, Mango, strawberry/banana, Elderberry, all flavored with Agave for sweetness.  The Transformatin Factory is his business, to sell the products.  Sales $3.4 million in a few months, 35% margins.  He was giving it away, until he hit 60 orders a week, then started selling online.   $24.99 a jar, but you only use 2 tablespoons at a time.  Product has to be FDA cleared, since it is produced overseas.   Kevin Hart says he bought it when it was an exclusive item, you had to know someone to get it, almost like a drug deal (it was funnier when he said it).   Kevin Hart and Barbara make an offer.   The other Kevin makes an offer.   Now Mark and Kevin Hall are talking working together.   Kevin Hall and Mark Cuban make the deal.   

2. The Players Trunk-They want to help college athletes maximize their potential.    A way for players to sell gear online to the public.   They've already signed up a lot of college athletes, after NIL (Name Image and Likeness) was enacted in the past year.   They have deals with 13 manufacturers.   Once the items are issued to the athlete and they leave school, gear is theirs to sell.   Athletes promote their own marketing.  THey've done $1.3 million, with $200k profit. in a year.    Their investor is a company that does Cameo and other online platforms.   Mark and Kevin Hart are going to offer, but don't like the percentage and valuation, so 30%.      I think the Sharks made a big mistake, just one college team I know said how much their players have already made with the NIL signups.    No deal.

3. Aqua Boxing Glove-boxing gloves, and a practice bag to protect your hands.  You add water, and you're ready to spar, and exercise without hurting your hands. Glove is 2.5 lbs empty, and can hold up to 6 lbs.    $199 a pair, pre-production and pre-sales.  $99 on kickstarter, tested in seller's boxing gym.   They currently cost $50 to make, but he says they can drop that price a lot lower.   More a fitness trainer, without having to set up a punching bag at home.  Mark says it's too soon.     I think Kevin Hart would have been a good partner, and may will be in the future. No Deal. 

4. Project Pollo-vegan chicken subsitute for fast food.   First U.S. vegan chicken fast food chain. They have breaded chicken patties, burgers, wraps, buffalo mac & cheese, nuggets.  Kevin says it's tasty.  The item is made of soybeans.   Valuation is $50 million.   Opened a food truck last year, and ten brick-and-mortar, plus two more brick-and-mortar next month.    First store was in Austin.   opening 18 to 24 brick-and-mortars in the next year.    I think the valuation is great.   He bought a lot of 10 year leases from failed companies, since lots of places in the past two years.     Mark doesn't like the valuation, doesn't think the food is really healthy, and thinks the meat substitute is a temporary trend.  Barbara says the company is growing way too fast, and brings up Tom and Chee that grew very fast, and went bust.   No deal. 

Update is on season 13 updates the cricket product, the scunchie/cup cover, DoughP, the bed sheet thing, Dino Don, Tenikle, Holiball, Souper Cubes, Wicked Good Cupcakes (now part of Hickory Farms), Dude Wipes, Everything Legendary, The Pizza Cupcake, Quevos, Touch Up Cup, Bunch Bikes, Snacklins, and a few more I missed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I thought it was amusing that the Snacklins guy said how something so amazing could only happen in America.   I guess he doesn’t realize this show is based on the Japanese  show Dragon’s Den.  And Robert and Kevin started on the Canadian version of Dragon’s Den before moving to the US show.  

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I thought it was amusing that the Snacklins guy said how something so amazing could only happen in America.   I guess he doesn’t realize this show is based on the Japanese  show Dragon’s Den.  And Robert and Kevin started on the Canadian version of Dragon’s Den before moving to the US show.  

Yeah, I get really tired of hearing, "this could only happen in the U.S.A.!" or, "the U.S. is the best place in the world!" as if the rest of the planet is a barren wasteland....as if the rest of the world isn't vibrant, diverse and culturally—and economically—rich.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

seller used to weigh over 500 lbs., went Vegan, and eats Sea Moss to get 90% of essential minerals humans need. 

I thought he admitted to working out 6 hours a day?

I am always skeptical about the touted health properties of the next great superfood. It doesn't create magic or miracles. But he'll make money because people are stupid. And when you compare plant-based food with the meat it's imitating, it's not any healthier either.

Aqua gloves may be one of those things that blow up just from being on the show like Ring and Doughp.

Not real impressed with any of these. 

There are going to be hundreds of those NIL companies. To much competition with no real advantage.  

$25 for a little bottle of sea moss? No thanks. 

None of these really appealed to me

• Love 1

I would have thought for a season finale, the showrunners would want an entertaining episode that viewers would talk about afterward and look forward to the next season. Instead, this one started out strong and then totally fizzled.  It would have been good for the season finale to have five regular sharks instead of a guest.

Also, how many vegan businesses can there be on this show?  It's a tiny percentage of the population. 

• Love 4

Barbara’s Tom+Chee comparison took a dark turn - I thought she was bringing them up as a positive contrast, as they’ve shown multiple  updates of them talking about their booming success, and then she says they went bankrupt and lost their homes! Had no idea - so very sad. They seemed like nice guys.

4 hours ago, lyric said:

Barbara’s Tom+Chee comparison took a dark turn - I thought she was bringing them up as a positive contrast, as they’ve shown multiple  updates of them talking about their booming success, and then she says they went bankrupt and lost their homes! Had no idea - so very sad. They seemed like nice guys.

That is sad. It seems the business was acquired and there is a small presence with a few stores. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, lyric said:

It is sad for them to have lost their homes. Hopefully they've landed on their feet.

I had no idea either, because the show doesn't seem to like to do updates saying a company went out of business or a Shark lost money.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought he admitted to working out 6 hours a day?

I am always skeptical about the touted health properties of the next great superfood. It doesn't create magic or miracles. But he'll make money because people are stupid. And when you compare plant-based food with the meat it's imitating, it's not any healthier either.

Aqua gloves may be one of those things that blow up just from being on the show like Ring and Doughp.

Yes 6 hours a day- i thought mark cuban hated any health product…

21 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Im obsessed with snacklins lol. One of the few shark tank products i love

(edited)
10 hours ago, lyric said:

The producers love to tell the viewers that everything is a roaring success-- even if they have to manufacture the evidence-- until it comes to the point that the failure just can't be denied anymore. I thought last week's update on DoughP was a good example of that.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 2
(edited)

The NIL Player’s Trunk guys are absolute idiots for not taking Mark/Kevin’s deal. That market is already saturated just a year or so in to it being allowed now just imagine 5 years from now. No one better than Mark to have behind that. They would have had way more potential to grow giving away 30% then sticking to where they are. They didn’t even give a reasonable counter. 7.5%?

Edited by TM101
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, TM101 said:

The NIL Player’s Trunk guys are absolute idiots for not taking Mark/Kevin’s deal. That market is already saturated just a year or so in to it being allowed now just imagine 5 years from now. No one better than Mark to have behind that. They would have had way more potential to grow giving away 30% then sticking to where they are. They didn’t even give a reasonable counter. 7.5%?

Yeah that was dumb. They have nothing to offer over hundreds of other similar companies and Cuban would have changed that. 

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, TM101 said:

The NIL Player’s Trunk guys are absolute idiots for not taking Mark/Kevin’s deal.

Totally agree!  But remember, they got respect because they were grinding it out in their dorm rooms or something like that.  :)

So, the colleges and universities pay for the players' uniforms and gear but the players get to sell it and make money?  Things that make me go hmmmmmm.  Anyway, the college gear guys really should have gone with Mark and Kevin IMO.  Mark knows that market and Kevin seems to know it as well.  Like others have said, there will be tons of competition and their company needs to be able to stand out.  I do agree with the Sharks when they state that they have their platforms that can really have an influence on future sales.

Looked up Tom and Chee as I didn't know they went bankrupt-it was more than just expanding locations as they really expanded their restaurants (size) and menus (options) to the point that customers were confused and the wait times were too long for a faster food option.  They were bought out, menus and restaurants slimmed down, and design overhaul.  Barbara usually knows this space pretty well, but as she only had 30% she couldn't stop/change their business model.  She sure seemed mad when she recounted that experience so she probably was really against some of the things the owners did and still resents their decisions.

• Useful 1
On 5/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Season Finale-Kevin Hart is the guest, with Kevin, Lori, Barbara, Mark, 

1. Sea Moss-seller used to weigh over 500 lbs., went Vegan, and eats Sea Moss to get 90% of essential minerals humans need.   There are flavors, Banana, Mango, strawberry/banana, Elderberry, all flavored with Agave for sweetness.  The Transformatin Factory is his business, to sell the products.  Sales $3.4 million in a few months, 35% margins.  He was giving it away, until he hit 60 orders a week, then started selling online.   $24.99 a jar, but you only use 2 tablespoons at a time.  Product has to be FDA cleared, since it is produced overseas.   Kevin Hart says he bought it when it was an exclusive item, you had to know someone to get it, almost like a drug deal (it was funnier when he said it).   Kevin Hart and Barbara make an offer.   The other Kevin makes an offer.   Now Mark and Kevin Hall are talking working together.   Kevin Hall and Mark Cuban make the deal.   

This one surprised me a bit.  Nobody asked him what his proof was that his product has 90% of the vitamins and minerals that we need.  At $25 for an 8 ounce jar, you're looking at a little over $3/day for that 2 tablespoon serving.  That's a pretty expensive vitamin.  He's doing well, and good for him, but the sharks complain about something one week and then buy into a deal with the same sort of thing the next week.

The boxing gloves didn't interest me since I'm not allowed to box anymore (workout box, not real box).  The college athlete merch also didn't interest me since I'm not remotely interested in buying that kind of stuff.  The not-chicken is probably something that I will never see in Canada, so overall, a rather "meh" episode for me.

Also surprised that they didn't end the season with a deal.  A very lukewarm finale.

• Love 2

I did like Mark talking about how a lot of new vegan products not being healthy.  You check out the nutrition values for some fast food chains and often the values are comparable or the real meat product has less fat and fewer calories.   I know one of the arguments for more plant based products is sustainability, but most people also think these products  are healthier when they often aren’t, especially those in fast food establishments.  

• Love 6
11 hours ago, TM101 said:

I didn’t really understand what their business was.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t really understand what their business was.

College players are now able to control, and get income from NIL (Name, Image and Likeness), so they can sell their used jerseys, endorse products, and get the income.    The money the schools used to get through sponsors, and advertising, and selling items with the players images on it, now can go directly to the athlete.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, the colleges and universities pay for the players' uniforms and gear but the players get to sell it and make money?  Things that make me go hmmmmmm.  Anyway, the college gear guys really should have gone with Mark and Kevin IMO.  Mark knows that market and Kevin seems to know it as well.  Like others have said, there will be tons of competition and their company needs to be able to stand out.  I do agree with the Sharks when they state that they have their platforms that can really have an influence on future sales.

And the colleges made & continue to make millions out of them for years.  I just don't get why the hmmmmm, are you saying that it's right for the colleges to make millions from the players names, images & likenesses and they shouldn't complain because they get a shirt? 

Agree that they should have gone with Mark & Kevin, they won't have a business in a year or two without them.

It continues to amaze me that people would rather have 95% of of a few hundred thousand than 75% of maybe millions, I presume they weren't in business school.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

College players are now able to control, and get income from NIL (Name, I### and Likeness-I don't remember the I's meaning), so they can sell their used jerseys, endorse products, and get the income.    The money the schools used to get through sponsors, and advertising, and selling items with the players images on it, now can go directly to the athlete.   

I know that, but aren’t there eleventy-billion sports agents out there that the players could sign with?

9 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

And the colleges made & continue to make millions out of them for years.  I just don't get why the hmmmmm, are you saying that it's right for the colleges to make millions from the players names, images & likenesses and they shouldn't complain because they get a shirt? 

Agree that they should have gone with Mark & Kevin, they won't have a business in a year or two without them.

It continues to amaze me that people would rather have 95% of of a few hundred thousand than 75% of maybe millions, I presume they weren't in business school.

Since you asked, the hmmmmmmm is because it seems they are making profit from what the college paid for/bought.  I would feel different if the players paid for their own gear/uniforms and then sold them, but they were not the ones who bought them, they are the ones who used them (and yes, I played collegiate athletics [volleyball]).  So, I guess I think athletes should pay for their own gear because it technically is then theirs to sell as they wish.

(edited)

Selling used gear isn't the main part of NIL. It allows athletes to receive compensation for the use of their name, image, or likeness -- like when Madden Football video games used real college athletes' names and likenesses. A lot of it now is going to involve non-fungible tokens (NFTs) that are essentially a digital card with an image and stats, or just an image of the athlete.

The University of Arizona recently did the first-ever NFT deal that enables collectibles to be made for every active student-athlete at the school. A limited edition NFT card set for their new star wide receiver sold for $3,500. He gets 80%.

Edited by Tango64
Clarification
  • Love 2