Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E23: Stryx; Driftline; Springer; Chill-N-Reel

• Start Topic

Entrepreneurs from Lawrence, New York, want to change the way men fix their appearance with their line of cosmetics to help clear up imperfections instantly. Entrepreneurs from Encinitas, California, hope to make a splash with their stylish watersport apparel brand that provides athletes with comfort and protection. Siblings from Austin, Texas, pitch their travel product designed to keep pups hydrated during any excursion; while entrepreneurs from Sand Springs, Oklahoma, hope to reel in a Shark with their fun solution to drinking a beverage while fishing.

In a Shark Tank update, Kelsey Witherow from Hideway, Texas, walked away without a deal but turned her time in the Tank into a success with Doughp, dough that is edible, bakeable, and ridiculously tasty.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Daymond John.

(edited)

Mark, Lori, Kevin, Daymond, Robert, I like it when it's only the regulars. 

1. Stryx-skin care and cosmetics for Men-tinted moisturizer, and concealer, brow stuff, energizing undereye roller applicator, and other items.  Mr. Wonderful putting concealer on is so cute.  Robert says he uses an undereye product regularly (lack of sleep).   This years sales per month are 130k a month, over $2 million annually, sell in CVS (in the shave aisle).  85% gross margins.   The two owners have more than 1/3 of the company.  They're still losing 40 to 50k a month, because advertising/marketing, and acquisition costs. 

Lori hates the packaging, and the name of the product, and I agree.    Daymond is out, and hates the product, and that the sellers made the show. Kevin is doing a loan, equity and royalty.   Robert slams Kevin's deal.  Robert proposes an equity deal (he says Kevin's royalty in perpetuity will screw up future sale of the company).     Robert makes the deal, and I hope he changes the name.  

2. Driftline-Clothing to make water sports more comfortable.  Items like board shorts with a wetsuit liner, keep you warm, and end chaffing.   They are looking at expanding into other water sports besides the board shorts/neoprene.   The sellers pass on Robert, and Daymond's offers. 

3.Springer-accessory for dogs.  water bottle with attached water bowl. squeeze the bottle, fills the top water dish, and release the bottle squeeze, and water goes back into it.  It seals completely.  the sellers are brother and sister, and their dad invented the travel mug.  There are 8 patents on the bottle U.S. and Internationally.  Sales are good.  2020 $1.7 million in sales.   Margins are 88%.   Kevin wants equity, and a royalty until paid back, and a smaller royalty in perpetuity.  (There are other products, the separate collapsible water bowls, water bottles with a flip out water bowl, etc., but this bowl / bottle combo seems better.  If I still had a dog, I would buy this product).  Lori wants preferred stock. Lori makes the deal.  

4. Chill-n-Reel-Fishing Drink Thing (I love that name), A device that lets you hold a beer and reel at the same time.  You can actually reel in a small fish with this.   A drink insulator, with a reel incorporated. My suggestion is do the same thing with a huge drink jug, and they could catch bigger fish.   Like Robert says, they're selling fun.    Robert does an equity, and royalty deal, and then makes the offer equity only.  The sellers turn down the offer from Robert. 

The Sharks seemed very irritated with each other tonight.   I'm guessing they put together different filming days to make a show, but the Sharks seemed very critical of each other for some reason.  My guess is that it's been a long filming season, and the Sharks suspect more and more people are trying to pitch for the Sharks just to get on TV.  

Update on a product that didn't get a deal.  DoughP, edible dough, you can bake it too. Her brick and mortar store in Vegas, closed before the pandemic, and apparently the San Francisco store also. She's totally online, and at Walmart, Costco, and another store but online only, not in the actual stores, she alsosells on QVC,  $9 million total sales.   She contributes a lot to addiction and sobriety initiatives.   Walmart and some of the other stores are only selling her items their websites, not in the stores.  (My thanks to eel21788 for updated, accurate information). I swear she said they closed the brick and mortar Las Vegas store at the pandemic start, but it wouldn't be the first time that a closure was blamed on a pandemic, but actually wasn't because of that.   ( I think it was easier to close stores, and get out of leases when the pandemic started, because of the shutdowns.    Some big chains that were circling the drain used the pandemic as an excuse to close down)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Stryx is the Dude Wipes of makeup.

I just didnt get this product and how their sales were so high. It seems the last few shows have veru high demands.

19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I loved that adorable doggie! It was so well-behaved.

The dog was adorable ! But again did not get the enthusisam for this product, there are so many portable dog water items

• Love 1

As a man I would never buy make up and even if I did, as Lori pointed out, I'd have no idea what those products did or what they are for

The others were actually good ideas. I disagree with all of them on the swim trunks. I think it's definitely a broad category product for those besides just surfers and I think they are marketing it wrong by focusing on that group. I'd buy them. They're right normal swim trunks for men are annoying.  Chafing bubbling cheap. 

The dog water idea was great but I too thought the profits were odd and it did seem like the structure of the company was weird and incestuous, got the impression it was very much a family controlled company where an outsider would be cut out of control and profits. 

The last one was just fun and goofy but I can see people buying it. It's cheap. They need some sort of crank on the side though to reel in the fish and they should add some way to cut the line with the device. I'd think you'd run the risk of cuts on your hands reeling it in by hand. 

17 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I just didnt get this product and how their sales were so high. It seems the last few shows have veru high demands.

That's been the way for quite a while now but $600,000 for 5% for the men's make up is way too much. I've all but given up on this show as the crazy valuations are starting to annoy me.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

That's been the way for quite a while now but $600,000 for 5% for the men's make up is way too much. I've all but given up on this show as the crazy valuations are starting to annoy me.

the only thing that really bothers me is on some episodes the sharks are so upset about high valuations and seemingly the next episode they seem to ignore it--its very strange!!!!

On 5/13/2022 at 7:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Update on a product that didn't get a deal.  DoughP, edible dough, you can bake it too. Her brick and mortar store in Vegas, did well, but she went totally online, and at Walmart, Costco, and another store, sells on QVC,  $9 million annual sales last year, she contributes a lot to addiction and sobriety initiatives. 

I could be wrong, but I thought she said lifetime sales were $9mil, not annual sales. Over 5 years that has her selling 60,000 units a year without telling us what her profit was on that. Also, the Vegas store went bankrupt before the pandemic, and she didn't mention what happened to her San Francisco store, either. She has vending machines in the LV airport that don't seem to be selling a lot, also.

I think her brilliant success has been greatly exaggerated. Maybe this update was intended to drive more customers to her website to give her business a second Snark Tank-effect rush.

It wasn't an original idea when she pitched it the first time, and she still doesn't appear to being doing much of anything to stand out against her competitors.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought she said lifetime sales were $9mil, not annual sales. Over 5 years that has her selling 60,000 units a year without telling us what her profit was on that. Also, the Vegas store went bankrupt before the pandemic, and she didn't mention what happened to her San Francisco store, either. She has vending machines in the LV airport that don't seem to be selling a lot, also.

I think her brilliant success has been greatly exaggerated. Maybe this update was intended to drive more customers to her website to give her business a second Snark Tank-effect rush.

It wasn't an original idea when she pitched it the first time, and she still doesn't appear to being doing much of anything to stand out against her competitors.

Thanks for the update.    My local stores used to sell a competitor's brand, that was on Shark Tank at least five years ago, but I haven't seen that in a few years at Walmart, or my grocery store. 

There are so many versions of the dog water bottle on the market already. 
I think they’re predisposed to like any product with a dog. I have invented this new dog walking product that will revolutionize the dog market: a rope I tie around the dog’s neck to keep it from running away! 
5% for a $500,000 investment. 

• LOL 8
12 hours ago, Tango64 said:

There are so many versions of the dog water bottle on the market already. 
I think they’re predisposed to like any product with a dog. I have invented this new dog walking product that will revolutionize the dog market: a rope I tie around the dog’s neck to keep it from running away! 
5% for a $500,000 investment. 

Ha! That reminds me of the guy a few years back who was so enthusiastic about his "fitness lawnmower" and Daymond got super-pissed because push lawnmowers have been around forever!

• Love 2

I really don’t get why the dog product is needed. We just pour water into a old plastic takeout container. This product seems to be solving a need that isn’t there. So if the dog doesn’t drink it all you just empty the extra on the ground, so what?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I really don’t get why the dog product is needed. We just pour water into a old plastic takeout container. This product seems to be solving a need that isn’t there. So if the dog doesn’t drink it all you just empty the extra on the ground, so what?

I was thinking along the same lines.  I use a travel mug and a dish. 

6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

The presenter made it sound as though that was a heinous waste bordering on criminal which makes me wonder how much is he paying for his dog's water? I'd bet serious money the dog isn't getting tap water.

• Love 1

I think the water product is better for people like me who take small dogs on walks -- not large dogs on hikes.  I don't want to lug a large bottle and dish for a 1.5 mile walk around the block.  So, something small that could be stuffed into a pocket (vs. a backpack) works best for me.  That said, there are other options on the market for this product; I've seen several over the years at the local "pet expo."  My guess is that it's like most products with competitors -- there's not necessarily a "best" one but probably one that works best for you.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, Cotypubby said:

Maybe some people give their dog fancy bottled water? Or they live somewhere that there's a drought?

• Love 1

I really think the Driftline presenters should have made a deal with Robert.  He already has specialty clothing investments as well as investments in water activity things.  I thought the presenters really had a good product that would appeal to a lot of people.  

I've seen men's health/beauty products for sale for years so maybe based on their investment in advertising they will do well.

It was interesting that the dog bottle presenters said that their parents also receive salaries (when asked how many people they were paying due to the small profit they were making-they mentioned themselves, their parents, and employees) so I think that the parents actually own the company but gave shares and pay to the kids.  Too many people getting paid rather than money getting reinvested in the company.  I didn't think the dog was well-behaved as it tried to jump up on Lori.  I have many friends and neighbors with whateverdoodles and I can't risk the dogs jumping up on me (they are large dogs) as they could cause me to lose my balance and fall (as we age the doctors always say to not fall [not that we're trying to...]).  Cute dog (they all are), but owners have to make sure their large dogs don't jump on people.  When I had dalmatians they never jumped up on people so I don't know if whateverdoodles are more predisposed that way or not (lovely dogs and if I'm seated I don't care about their jumping on me).

• Love 1

The problem with taking water for your dog is putting it in a container that your dog will drink from.  Mine get very finicky about drinking out of containers they're not used to (they are used to tap water in a dog bowl).  I thought one of the benefits of Springer was that it created its own little saucer as part of the bottle so it kind of mimics a bowl and was small enough so as to be easily portable without having to take a backpack, etc. so it would be good for short walks.  But maybe I missed something . . . 

As for dogs jumping, it has much less to do with breed than training.   Being in that environment has to be very stressful for a dog who is not used to such environments (for example, true service dogs would be trained to handle this type of event which BTW is how you can differentiate them from "fake" service dogs).  Dogs will either be fearful of all the newness or super-excited / hyped up.  Kind of goes with the territory, so to speak.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:48 PM, eel21788 said:

Well, it worked....I just ordered a Doughp four-pack!

• Love 1

When I went to my local grocery, that used to have the edible dough that was featured on Shark Tank years ago, they only have Nestle Toll House now, so I'm wondering if they sold out to Nestle?         It's going to be hard to get into grocery stores for the DoughP seller, unless she gets a huge co-packing deal, and wants to compete with Nestle Toll House.   So, maybe online is the answer for her company.  

• Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 4:09 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

When I went to my local grocery, that used to have the edible dough that was featured on Shark Tank years ago

That would be Cookie Dough Cafe.  According to one of my old Facebook posts, I bought a jar seven years ago.  I remember it being tasty but a few bites went a long way.  I wouldn't eat a whole jar at once.  According to their website, they still sell it at several places near me.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2022 at 11:09 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Well, it worked....I just ordered a Doughp four-pack!

Quoting myself to report on the Doughp.  It is very good!  And officially becomes only the second food product I've ordered that I have actually kept (the other was the Pizza Cupcake).  So far I've only eaten it raw...may or may not get around to trying it baked.  The only negative I'd say is that I ordered four flavors -- Cookies & Cream; Sprinkles, Frosting, and Cookie Grahams; Rainbow Sprinkle Cookie Dough; and Plain Cookie Dough, and they all basically taste the same.

• Love 2