Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Paging Dr. Nipples

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

I guess if you're on good terms with her you may use her first name, Areola.

Vodka with grapejuice??? *gag* Now, White rum with grape juice sounds pretty good...

All those random specialty drink orders, ugh.  Why not make a pitcher of sangria, they are in Spain for crying out loud! Daisy needs some more tools in her tool box to deal with the demands of the spoiled guests, head them off at the pass and make a pitcher of a signature drink instead of letting them have the run of the bar, Daisy should be a bit more in control of things, there are ways of making people think the drink choice is their idea. 

Grape juice, what bar have they been to that regularly has grape juice available?  Did they put it on their preference sheet? No? Of course not.

Did they really want every item in their luggage steamed, they will only wear a few items and repack all the other stuff to get wrinkled again, they just want to order people around, they are not nice.  Also, how does a woman not know about boob tape for when you wear low cut v neck things, did she think showing her nipples would endear her to the American viewers?  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did they really want every item in their luggage steamed, they will only wear a few items and repack all the other stuff to get wrinkled again, they just want to order people around, they are not nice

Finally saw the episode.  Wow!  These guests may win the prize for Most Obnoxious Ever.

I've done a lot of business and personal travel.  You quickly learn to bring things that don't wrinkle, especially for a two night trip.

It was kind of fun though watching Ashley steaming clothes for 3 or 4 hours even if it was an obnoxious request.  She's really a nasty piece of work.

Barnaby looks very competent.  Cute how they didn't show the face of the new "blonde bombshell" stew.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Also, how does a woman not know about boob tape for when you wear low cut v neck things

Or wear a shirt. The shirtless thing can work on a runway, but not at dinner.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

A shirt, yes! That's it, wear a friggin shirt! So simple, I am ashamed I did not think of that myself! LOL.

You can still wear a sexy low cut blouse without showing nips. She was a hot mess anyway.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I chuckled when the guests were heading toward the boat and one of them said "Is that the captain? He's a little feller."

Total new money.  Making demands as if the crew were slaves. So awful. 

I find it ironic to consider "new money" a slam as though this were the roaring 20s. I'm sure there are plenty of "old money" people who behave just as badly. 

I also think it's a bit much to say the guests are making demands of the crew as if they were "slaves." It's the crew's job to wait on these guests. The guests paid for this excursion (allegedly) and the crew is working for the tip. How dare they boss them around! Who do they think they are, paying guests??

If their demands seem more outrageous than the typical guest, it's the crew's job to meet them to the best of their ability and hope the tip they get makes it worthwhile.

All those random specialty drink orders, ugh.  Why not make a pitcher of sangria, they are in Spain for crying out loud! Daisy needs some more tools in her tool box to deal with the demands of the spoiled guests, head them off at the pass and make a pitcher of a signature drink instead of letting them have the run of the bar, Daisy should be a bit more in control of things, there are ways of making people think the drink choice is their idea. 

But that's not how this works. That's the reason they have a fully stocked bar. The crew aren't the ones in charge here. That's like saying the waiter at the restaurant should decide what kind of food you order. 

Now granted, if you want some weird, obscure drink nobody ever heard of before, there's a reasonable expectation they might not be able to make it. But if six guests want six different cocktails six different ways, it's the stew's job to fill those orders, not demand they all get the same thing to make her job easier.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I find it ironic to consider "new money" a slam as though this were the roaring 20s. I'm sure there are plenty of "old money" people who behave just as badly. 

There are definitely bad behaved old money people.  It's generally the younger generations though. In my experience, old money is less likely to be rude because they know their status. New money people are rude and want to show their wealth.  Old money will be wearing plaid pants and drive a honda.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You're right. I was being petty by calling them "new money." I guess my issue is when people seem so desperate to show off. My husband has a friend like that and I find him insufferable. The guy throwing the 100 Euro note was a little cringe. That's the guy who bugged me; he's asking for bacon and grilled shrimp on a Bloody Mary.  I just didn't like his demeanor.

The co-primary husband wasn't that bad. He just wanted the drink he liked and was used to drinking. He did show appreciation and enthusiasm for the grape-type thing Daisy came up with.

• Love 5

There are definitely bad behaved old money people.  It's generally the younger generations though. In my experience, old money is less likely to be rude because they know their status. 

Who is "old money" these days though, really? The Rockefellers, the Astors, the Gettys, the Rothschilds? I really think we're talking about a bygone era when we describe people as "old money." The richest people are the Kochs, the Murdochs, the Bloombergs, the Buffets - are they considered "old money?" I just think it's sort of an antiquated term.

These guests are gauche, no question. I don't think that speaks to whether they were born into money or acquired it themselves, I just just think they are boorish people, period.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who is "old money" these days though, really? The Rockefellers, the Astors, the Gettys, the Rothschilds? I really think we're talking about a bygone era when we describe people as "old money." The richest people are the Kochs, the Murdochs, the Bloombergs, the Buffets - are they considered "old money?" I just think it's sort of an antiquated term.

These guests are gauche, no question. I don't think that speaks to whether they were born into money or acquired it themselves, I just just think they are boorish people, period.

It's just become a way of describing someone who has more money than sense and has no idea how to behave appropriately in certain surroundings I think.

I'm not even sure that the USA is an old enough country to have real old money people but your first list of names probably comes closest but like most families they also have idiots who treat people like shit amongst them.

I was fine with their crazy demands drink wise as they are the ones paying for the trip but when the guy threw the 100 euro bill at Daisy he deserved to have it & his drink shoved where the sun doesn't shine. That's the sort of behavior that is usually described as new money even though it's just obnoxious and has nothing to do with how much money someone has.

All just my opinion of course.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, queta said:

The co-primary husband wasn't that bad. He just wanted the drink he liked and was used to drinking. He did show appreciation and enthusiasm for the grape-type thing Daisy came up with.

He actually irritated me more than the dude who kept clanging the top of that alcohol bottle! 😂 

He hyper focused on Dr Nipples and it felt like it was her little kid and not her husband. (IS he her husband?) Mommy's going to fall off the front of the boat! Mommy needs a drink now! Mommy watch this! Mommy Daisy, I want blankets, music, and a vodka juice box RIGHT NOW! Mommy mom mom!

Uggghhh he's like an entire roll of cling wrap spritzed with gorilla glue. I would have either jumped off the boat or pushed him overboard.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It is an old term, but if you think even broke people aren't considered aristocracy, or the US equivalent. I am planning on visiting the Getty soon.

Dr. Nipples though. I guess I wouldn't be interesting enough because I wouldn't be drunk off my ass.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

their crazy demands drink

We have seen other Chief Stews call the provisioner to make a mid charter delivery of whatever for a guest, Daisy could have gotten grape juice on board, that would have been good service but on the other hand grape juice was not on the preference sheet.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Absolutely.  Their behavior tells me they have a lot of people around them that are "Yes," people.  Dollars to donuts they make life difficult for anyone in their orbit and think nothing of it as if we are all there to serve them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nokat said:

It borders on saying Jew hair.

wow! I think you might be right. That didn't occur to me. As a good white protestant, "Jesus hair" is those shoulder length medium brown smooth tresses (do I need to add the sarcasm note?)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

He actually irritated me more than the dude who kept clanging the top of that alcohol bottle! 😂 

He hyper focused on Dr Nipples and it felt like it was her little kid and not her husband. (IS he her husband?) Mommy's going to fall off the front of the boat! Mommy needs a drink now! Mommy watch this! Mommy Daisy, I want blankets, music, and a vodka juice box RIGHT NOW! Mommy mom mom!

Uggghhh he's like an entire roll of cling wrap spritzed with gorilla glue. I would have either jumped off the boat or pushed him overboard.

You make some great points, and love your last comment! Thanks for making me laugh.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

wow! I think you might be right. That didn't occur to me. As a good white protestant, "Jesus hair" is those shoulder length medium brown smooth tresses (do I need to add the sarcasm note?)

Yup, Jesus was white with wonderfully wavy hair.

When Barnaby kind of put his hand through his wonderful mop, I was smitten.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm rewatching, and Kelsie does say Jesus hair. It borders on saying Jew hair. It's offensive.

No, I just think she meant he's got long hair, like Jesus. Although it isn't really that long. It's pretty floppy though.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm sure there are plenty of "old money" people who behave just as badly. 

Here's my thinking about the topic. The truly wealthy who are accustomed to their money e.g. old money  will treat their staff well because it isn't always easy to replace them. . There aren't a whole lot of people who would willingly make a career out of  catering to a family who has more than the staff well ever experience.  The employers know that they must treat the help well or they will be gone and it's hard to replace people with that skill set...discrete, hard working, honest, amiable.

The Below Deck crew knows that they can handle a few days of demanding guests because not all of them are Bozos and the next group may be appreciative and not as high maintenance.  Some of these obnoxious guests are just showing off, and they aren't aware that they are revealing themselves to be truly unsophisticated.

• Love 4

Barnaby’s hair is not “Jesus hair”, so odd, lol. He’s cute in the face, different hair would help a lot. 

Kelsie is a very cute girl who gives off no romantic or flirtatious vibes. She’s not very exciting for reality TV but so much better and nicer than gross Ashley. 

Glad constantly bitching Gabriela is gone! 

Marco definitely has to be messing around with a camera person or whoever it was mentioned before, because otherwise Ashley would have definitely crawled into his bed naked by now. 

I know I’m in the minority but I totally see Gary’s appeal. And his reputation precedes him so women want to try to conquer him or be the one he actually falls for… Daisy, who doesn’t even try, is the one he secretly has more feelings for than his usual hookup. 

I have had a Transfusion drink before, they are actually pretty good! 

• Love 3
On 5/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, iMonrey said:

I also think it's a bit much to say the guests are making demands of the crew as if they were "slaves." It's the crew's job to wait on these guests. The guests paid for this excursion (allegedly) and the crew is working for the tip. How dare they boss them around! Who do they think they are, paying guests??

If their demands seem more outrageous than the typical guest, it's the crew's job to meet them to the best of their ability and hope the tip they get makes it worthwhile.

I live in the same town as the good Dr., and she claims in the local paper they paid $60,000 for the three day trip. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I live in the same town as the good Dr., and she claims in the local paper they paid $60,000 for the three day trip. 

Pretty sure I heard her say that on the show but they get the actual trip paid for if they agree to be filmed, or so I read somewhere.

• Love 3

She also claims she’s “Harvard trained”…ummm, you’re not Harvard trained unless you did your residency at a Harvard hospital.  Harvard undergrad doesn’t count.

• Love 5

Would you read a book backwards?  Well of course not!  Which is why these comments are in order of the episode broadcast…

Daisy – “I feel like a massive failure”.  Yeah, well, that’s because you were.  You just don’t know how to “manage”.  Your job requires leadership skills that you just don’t have.  You’re more of a “parent” in your position, not a “buddy”.

Barnaby – it’s nice to see they’re hiring real-life incarnations of characters Jane Austen might have created.  Can you say “Pride and Prejudice”?

With apologies to Falco:  “Dr. Nichols, Dr. Nichols… Dr. Nichols! Dr. Nichols, Dr. Nichols… Dr. Nichols!  Dr. Nichols, Dr. Nichols… Dr. Nichols!..... Dr. Nichols!”  What C &$#@.

These guests are the reason why some people want to eat the rich – with their bacon and shrimp.

Daisy – “I’m pretty sure these guests don’t realise we’re a stew down, but even if they did, it wouldn’t matter to them.”  Well, as much as I hate these guests, it isn’t their problem you’re down a stew.  That’s your problem, Daisy.  Use your amazing management skills to deal with it.  No, wait…

I thought it was funny that during the glory of sailing, the guests were completely oblivious.  Dr. Nichols – “I missed the whole sail?”  Yes, honey, you did.  And more.

That one guest and his eternal quest for grape juice… weird.

Looking forward to next episode and how many get thrown overboard…

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2022 at 8:33 PM, MartyQui said:

She also claims she’s “Harvard trained”…ummm, you’re not Harvard trained unless you did your residency at a Harvard hospital.  Harvard undergrad doesn’t count.

She probably attended a botox seminar at Harvard and now makes it sounds like she received her education there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I looked her up (and she calls herself a "celebrity dermatologist" and has a very active insta feed).

She did get her BA at Harvard, but yeah, she was "trained" at NYU. But I was not impressed by her site, unless it's her skill at self-promotion and selling stuff. I guess that's what the folks in Greenwich CT are in search of?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

That one guest and his eternal quest for grape juice… weird.

I looked it up, there is a Pain Killer cocktail and it does have grape juice in it and I am still saying WTF to that, what adult came up with a grape juice cocktail?!  To me a grape juice cocktail is wine! LOL.

• LOL 7
(edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 4:27 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I looked it up, there is a Pain Killer cocktail and it does have grape juice in it and I am still saying WTF to that, what adult came up with a grape juice cocktail?!  To me a grape juice cocktail is wine! LOL.

Mixologist here....a Painkiller cocktail is Prusser's rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and orange juice with grated nutmeg garnish. No grape juice allowed!!!

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

Mixologist here....a Painkiller cocktail is Prusser's rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and orange juice with grated nutmeg garnish. No grape juice allowed!!!

I looked on line and saw recipes for the grape juice kind, honestly I think that would be a make at home drink, grape juice at a bar just seemed a bit strange. 

I do like a rum cocktail @NoWhammies, your recipe sounds good, almost like a healthy breakfast drink, lol.

• Love 1
Just now, Baltimore Betty said:

I looked on line and saw recipes for the grape juice kind, honestly I think that would be a make at home drink, grape juice at a bar just seemed a bit strange. 

I do like a rum cocktail @NoWhammies, your recipe sounds good, almost like a healthy breakfast drink, lol.

I have made a bunch of cocktails in my life...and I have never made one with grape juice (other than sangria or wine cocktails with the good kind of grape juice)--or at least I can't recall that I have. It's not a super popular ingredient for the cocktail set.

• Love 2
On 5/21/2022 at 4:27 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Then there's the other guest who keeps yelling for "Vodka and orange juice!"  when he could just ask for a screwdriver.  Wait, though, someone may actually bring a real screwdriver and put it through his head...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, Sage47 said:

I know I’m in the minority but I totally see Gary’s appeal.

I'm sitting right here with you, Sage.  One reason he appeals to me is that he's so very good at his job.  I also like his sense of humor and his looks.  His hair could do with some work though.

• Love 3

A "transfusion" is a verrrry popular drink in New England country clubs (I've worked in a few)

A Virgin Transfusion is purple grape juice, ginger ale and lime wedges.  An alcoholic version is the same but with vodka added.

• Useful 1