Type keyword(s) to search

SO1.E09: Squid Games

• Start Topic

Of course we needed to see the jacuzzi full of vomit again AND I purposely skipped the recap to avoid it.....thanks Bravo, the puke fetish continues. The chef on hold took another job, so present chef lives to cook another day. Producers probably said no to the Captain. They love dysfunction. Makes a boring cast palatable I guess. I got a kick out of Magda using 5 gigs of data per day. Someone should explain to her that satellite internet service is expensive. OTOH it is a TV show, so it's a drop in the bucket. Dysfunction is key, haha. BTW, chef would have gotten his ass kicked in the bar. Aussies are tough. Did anyone notice Tumi said she would slap the guys first, but later the next day scolded chef for taking the bait from them? And then he is all butthurt he didn't get a thank you for being "chivalrous." He also snotted out on the Captain pretty good, so we'll see where that all leads. 

• Love 7

I really don’t like Magda, especially after this episode, but I bet the producers are loving her and her bad attitude. 

I still love Aesha. She’s not perfect, but she takes her job seriously. She seems really happy with her boyfriend, too, so good for her. :) 

The chef is so annoying, and he seems so familiar to me. I have no idea where I might’ve seen him before though. 

And regarding all of the vomit, I have to look away from the tv. Too gross. How old are these producers/editors anyway? Twelve? Yuck. 

• Love 12

It can’t just be a coincidence that there’s widespread insubordination and defiance against the chain of command.

Magda says If Aesha was encouraging she would work hard but Tumi thinks Aesha is being too nice, other chief stews would have come down hard.

Jason holds back on Ryan being dismissive of him and Jason says he doesn’t want to confront Benny when he’s not doing his job because Benny gets all emotional.

So maybe this cast was told that they’re not going to emphasize the chain of command, that they don’t have to follow orders they don’t like .

Then Brittini being thirsty with the male guests and bristling at Jason telling her she was slacking on her duties to chat up the guests.  She thinks it’s because these guests found her attractive.

Maybe Ryan, Benny and Magda figure they can’t easily be replaced because of Australia’s strict quarantine rules but you’d think casting would have some alternate cast members handy.

Regular BD producers love firing drama but maybe the producers in Australia don’t have the same approach.

I don’t know if it would be satellite Internet or mobile networks.  The Whitsundays seem remote, like not a lot of development on them.  But it’s suppose to be a popular tourist destination so at least near port it would have good coverage.

To do smooth video chats there would have to be a strong 4G connection or better.  Satellite is not better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Like vomit in the jacuzzi, comments are in order of the episode broadcast…

OK, I don’t like Ryan – and I think many think the same – but props to him for defending the ladies when some drunken yobbos were yelling for the girls to take their.. bits… out.

Magda is using 5 gigs of data per day on her phone?  Crikey!  What’s she doing, making a video of her entire work day?  No, wait, that would take less data…

I froze the frame to read the preference sheet – looks like a big bachelor party for this group before the prime gets married.  And the Captain knew this guy before?  Could be interesting…

Aesha:  “Have a created a vibe where Magda thinks she can irritate me and get away with it?”  Heck, yes!  Haven’t you been watching your own show?!  Aesha, you have to *manage* your people!

This whole big blowup of Magda washing the jumper seems really fake.  It looks like Magda saw the wet jumper could stain, so she washed it – a natural reaction.  But some sort of drama had to be broadcast, so I guess that was it.

So Ryan a-SALT-ed the dinner!  Something has to give, and I don’t think it will be the Captain.

The whole crew seems dysfunctional – they want to make the guests happy and have a good experience, but they also are expected to do work – can’t do both well.

And it wouldn’t be an episode without Magda breaking some glassware!

Looking forward to seeing how many teeth Ryan has in his head next week after the Captain knocks some out.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 4/29/2022 at 4:11 PM, pasdetrois said:

Chef reminds me of British actor Tom Hollander, who played vicar Mr. Collins in Pride & Prejudice.

Don't insult Tom Hollander like that. He's an awesome actor!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Not that I am an expert on running boats, but almost everyone seems to lack discipline and most of them  feel  loose and behave like if they can do whatever they want, ignoring completely the fact that a boat team must run like a well oiled machine in order for things to work. 

Biggest problem seems to be  Captain Jason, who can't seem to be able to manage anyone really.
If Captain Lee had to deal with this crew, Chef would be travelling back home since day one,  even if the Captain had to cook the dinner himself.

Aesha should also step up a little and get a bit b1tchy when needed. Everyone prefers a friendly environment to work, but when you are a leader you must also be able to run tight your department. 

Only friendly attitude by leaders in most of the cases can be seen as a weakness. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Why does Magda even have her phone during work hours?  Most employers wouldn’t stand for that.

I will be deeply disappointed if chef Ryan isn’t thrown off the boat on his ass.  That look he gets in his eyes when he’s angry is truly frightened.  Of all the crazy arrogant chefs we’ve seen on the Below Deck franchises Ryan’s disrespect toward Jason is the worst.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 11

I predict rough waters ahead for Chef Ryan.  His crap attitude has finally found its way directly to the captain.  I don't think he will be around much longer if there is any way Jason can find a replacement.  

I would love to see Magda replaced, as well. Taking a nap rather than finishing her work is ridiculous.  Having a hangover and staying up late video chatting with your boyfriend is not an excuse.  Thank goodness Aesha has Tumi, who is worth her weight in gold.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

The bouncers did a great job not letting that stupid fight escalate.  Chef is so self-righteous.  The women never even heard the loudmouth idiot.  Until that happens, leave it alone.  Then you leave.

Jaime's explanation of the local laws was enlightening.  Don't mess around because you'll find out.

The way he treats the Captain.  Oy!  You should be nice to the one person who can fire you on the spot, which Jason now seems seething to do.  Aesha has been in his ear about Ryan.

Get off the phone Magda!  And get to work!  As someone upthread said, phones should be safely tucked in their cabins while working.  I personally hate dragging the thing around.

Aesha needs to toughen up.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I would love to see Magda replaced, as well.

I would like the captain to find a herd of great white sharks and toss Magna and the sniveling twat chef overboard. I wouldn't miss a wink of sleep over it.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 5
On 4/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, ShowsILoveToHate said:

I

The chef is so annoying, and he seems so familiar to me. I have no idea where I might’ve seen him before though. 

I thought the same thing, he comes across like the typical tool that would be on Hell's Kitchen. He was totally disrespectful to Cap't Hot, I am surprised he didn't reach over the table and smack him. He probably didn't use the squid or fish because he doesn't know how to break them down. Magda is worthless and Aiesha has much more patience that I would. I do like that Aiesha doesn't hold grudges (at least it seems that way to me) I watched both this and Med so I am trying not to confuse the crews

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Ryan, spoiling for a bar fight, because he has "zero tolerance for disrespected towards women"? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

That said, I don't think the Chief Stew should serve the prepared dishes differently than the chef intended. Assuming the guests did not request a preference one way or the other, the food should be served the way the chef meant it to be, otherwise it's sitting and getting cold while Aesha doles out helpings of starters. I guess it's a moot point when the food is lousy but she's giving Ryan an opening to defend himself.

Maybe Ryan, Benny and Magda figure they can’t easily be replaced because of Australia’s strict quarantine rules but you’d think casting would have some alternate cast members handy.

You may be onto something. My eyebrow went up when Jason revealed the main charter guest was an old friend of his. To be frank, the caliber of charter guests on Down Under have been sub-par and it makes me think they had a hard time finding anyone. Does it have something to do with Australia's strict quarantine rules? Are they just recruiting friends of Jason and the crew? I agree it would also explain the crew's lack of concern over being replaced.

And they all play the victim card when confronted. Magda is up until 3:00 in the morning talking to her boyfriend, and in her own words is working at 50% then knocks off early; when confronted by Aesha she gets all defensive and yelly. And Brittini gets a bad case of the flirts with the guests and when confronted gets all shirty and acts like Jamie is just jealous because the guests find her attractive? WTF. 

That one guest did sort of look like Ryan Reynolds, though. With less hair.

I thought the same thing, he comes across like the typical tool that would be on Hell's Kitchen.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Ryan was plucked from Central Casting for Reality Shows after applying for something like Hell's Kitchen because they thought he'd make "good TV." 

Side note, I've never understood how one little anchor can keep a huge ship that size in one place.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Side note, I've never understood how one little anchor can keep a huge ship that size in one place.

I think there are 2  or 4 anchors for each side of the boat...*shrug*  

I wish they'd stop with this Britini and Culver hookup storyline.  You can see it in their faces they don't really want to do this.  It's like a producer is standing just off camera with a gun saying "alright now kiss!"

• LOL 3

So grossed out by Chef Ryan tasting his sauces with his finger! Also, just because you can cook does not make you a chef. I feel like to be a chef you need to understand balanced meals, presentation and an appropriate way to serve on a yacht. Fuck family style! What is this, Buca di Beppo???  Ryan is both arrogant and stupid, a very frustrating combination.

• Love 2

I think there are 2  or 4 anchors for each side of the boat...*shrug*  

Well that would make more sense but we only ever see them dropping or raising one, and it is always referred to in the singular. 

So grossed out by Chef Ryan tasting his sauces with his finger! 

Not to defend Ryan (God forbid) but I think most people would prefer not to know what goes on in the kitchen. Even tasting soups and sauces with a spoon then putting the spoon back into the pot is pretty common - unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Believe it or not, there's a huge amount of work/science/technology that goes into super yacht anchors.

For one thing, there are several different types/styles:  There are fluke anchors, delta anchors, grapnel anchors, etc.

On a yachting page, I found this:  "The Manson Hiding anchor is a popular choice for superyachts, because it’s designed in such a way to completely retract and sit flush within the hull, completely hiding the anchor and pocket through a ‘base plate’ you wouldn’t normally find on an anchor. It’s also available from 50kg to 4,500kg in weight, making them suitable for yachts of all sizes."

In reading about it, I discovered properly setting an anchor is a complex process.  To flog a dead horse even more, here's what I found on the yachting Pages Media Group website:

Anchoring a boat is like parallel-parking a car, except you can almost never do it alone (at least, not on a superyacht). Simple in premise, but easy to mess up and becoming confident and efficient at anchoring can take years of experience. In its simplest explanation, the anchoring process looks like this:

Drive into the wind or current, approaching your chosen anchoring spot. Ensure you have determined the scope you will be using (ratio of rode length to distance above seabed). 5:1 or 7:1 is common for chain or rope rodes respectively.

Slowly drop the anchor until it hits the seabed, and keep the slack out of the rode as you lay more out whilst the boat moves backwards (either from the wind or current, or by engaging the engines in reverse)

After 1/3 of the rode has been let out, cinch it off and let the yacht straighten. This will start setting the anchor into place. If you’re not straightening, your anchor is likely dragging and you will need to try again, perhaps in a slightly different spot.

Continue to lay out another third, allow for straightening, then again one final time. At this point, all the rode length you determined was necessary should be let out.

Locate two objects at shore to use as reference points (such as a tree in front of a lighthouse). Signal the helmsman to gently start the engine in reverse until the rode completely straightens, then signal him or her to return to neutral. The boat should drift back to a stationary position where the two objects you noted appear in exactly the same position relative to each other. If this is not the case, you’re dragging and will need to start again.

Obviously, there’s a bit more to anchoring than that and it’s much easier said than done. Examples of considerations that need to be made whilst anchoring include your environmental protection duties as a vessel operator; Paul Allen was accused of causing significant damage to 14,000sqft of coral back in March 2016, from the yacht’s anchor and rode.

• Useful 7
15 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Believe it or not, there's a huge amount of work/science/technology that goes into super yacht anchors.

For one thing, there are several different types/styles:  There are fluke anchors, delta anchors, grapnel anchors, etc.

On a yachting page, I found this:  "The Manson Hiding anchor is a popular choice for superyachts, because it’s designed in such a way to completely retract and sit flush within the hull, completely hiding the anchor and pocket through a ‘base plate’ you wouldn’t normally find on an anchor. It’s also available from 50kg to 4,500kg in weight, making them suitable for yachts of all sizes."

In reading about it, I discovered properly setting an anchor is a complex process.  To flog a dead horse even more, here's what I found on the yachting Pages Media Group website:

Anchoring a boat is like parallel-parking a car, except you can almost never do it alone (at least, not on a superyacht). Simple in premise, but easy to mess up and becoming confident and efficient at anchoring can take years of experience. In its simplest explanation, the anchoring process looks like this:

Drive into the wind or current, approaching your chosen anchoring spot. Ensure you have determined the scope you will be using (ratio of rode length to distance above seabed). 5:1 or 7:1 is common for chain or rope rodes respectively.

Slowly drop the anchor until it hits the seabed, and keep the slack out of the rode as you lay more out whilst the boat moves backwards (either from the wind or current, or by engaging the engines in reverse)

After 1/3 of the rode has been let out, cinch it off and let the yacht straighten. This will start setting the anchor into place. If you’re not straightening, your anchor is likely dragging and you will need to try again, perhaps in a slightly different spot.

Continue to lay out another third, allow for straightening, then again one final time. At this point, all the rode length you determined was necessary should be let out.

Locate two objects at shore to use as reference points (such as a tree in front of a lighthouse). Signal the helmsman to gently start the engine in reverse until the rode completely straightens, then signal him or her to return to neutral. The boat should drift back to a stationary position where the two objects you noted appear in exactly the same position relative to each other. If this is not the case, you’re dragging and will need to start again.

Obviously, there’s a bit more to anchoring than that and it’s much easier said than done. Examples of considerations that need to be made whilst anchoring include your environmental protection duties as a vessel operator; Paul Allen was accused of causing significant damage to 14,000sqft of coral back in March 2016, from the yacht’s anchor and rode.

Yet they make it look like it takes no thought except how many shackles, whatever that is.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:12 AM, PaperTree said:

Jaime's explanation of the local laws was enlightening.  Don't mess around because you'll find out.

One of the things I learned a little about from watching the Johnny Depp Amber Turd trial was that Australia was something called Glassing Laws, especially in a bar, allegedly if you throw or break a glass bottle you can be arrested and/or face jail time. Some people think that's one of the reasons JD lied about how his fingertip was injured/cut off.

As someone who's husband just lost half of his right thumb from a work injury, I don't know how he was able to cover for her because an injury like that is really painful. Mr TVEye is a guitar player and his thumb was smashed and unable to be reattached but he's somehow managing to hold a pick as long as it's textured.

Below Deck point, Ryan, you're lucky you weren't arrested, but you probably should have been. Don't break glass bottles. 

Ryan is a weirdo who needs to be fired.

Edited by tveyeonyou
Edited because him and her are different.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1