Type keyword(s) to search

Barbie (2023)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

Just received an e-mail from Amazon that says the Blu-Ray I ordered will be delivered by October 4th.

Yet the product page now has New Year's Eve (December 31, 2023) as the release date!

Hoping the earlier date is correct, but we'll see.

• Like 1

‘Barbie’ Becomes Biggest Warner Bros. Movie Ever at Global Box Office, Beating Final ‘Harry Potter’ Pic
BY PAMELA MCCLINTOCK    AUGUST 28, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-biggest-warner-bros-movie-globally-box-office-1235575786/ 

On Monday, Greta Gerwig’s movie is passing up the $1.342 billion grossed globally by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2 to become the top-grossing film in the history of Warner Bros. at the worldwide box office, not adjusted for inflation. Barbie’s domestic gross through Sunday was $592.8 million, while its foreign tally was $745.5 million. (On Wednesday or Thursday of this week, the summer pic will become only the 13th movie in history to cross the $600 million mark domestically.)

The records broken by Barbie — starring Margot Robbie as Mattel’s famous fashion doll — are numerous. The box office blockbuster notched another major milestone Aug. 16 when passing up Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight to become the biggest Warner Bros. movie ever in North America.

And last week, Barbie passed up Illumination and Universal’s runaway blockbuster The Super Mario Bros. Movie at the domestic box office to become the top-grossing title of 2023 in North America. It’s expected to pass up Super Mario Bros.‘ global gross of $1.36 billion in the coming days to become the top worldwide earner of the year. That would put Barbie at No. 15 on the all-time list of top-grossing movies.

Once it achieves that milestone, Barbie will next set its sights on strutting past Frozen II‘s worldwide war chest of $1.43 billion to rank as the top-grossing movie of all time — whether live-action or animated — from a female director.

Gerwig is already the highest-grossing female director of a live-action movie at the worldwide box office, as well as the highest-grossing female director of all time at the domestic box office.
It’s hard to say whether Barbie can ultimately hit $1.5 billion globally, but analysts aren’t ruling anything out.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I just realized that America's monologue, whether you love it or hate it, is a perfect summation of what her character had to go through on Ugly Betty. Particularly in terms of the selfish freeloaders she had for a family always expecting her to do everything for them, but nagging at her to be nicer to the cheating boyfriend they liked and accusing her of being selfish every time she wanted to focus on her career.

• Like 9

I randomly remembered that 'controversy' with the French version of the tagline "He's just Ken" being a dirty double entendre; now I'm wondering how does that play out with the song "I'm Just Ken"??

Well, an update to my post about the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I guess the New Year's Eve release date is correct, because delivery has been pushed back to January 3, 2024 via an Amazon e-mail I just got.

Figured I'd post this in case anyone else was thinking of buying this and wondering when it will arrive.

• Useful 2

It will be cool when Barbie becomes the biggest movie of all time, adjusted for inflation. (The Hollywood Reporter article makes a point in the headline that the figures quoted are not adjusted for inflation.) Barbie may be close to that already. But just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see how it compares to Jaws, the first Star Wars, E.T., and other megahits, when all past figures are put into 2023 dollars. I'm rooting for Barbie, just because it's fun to see records broken.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 7
13 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

It will be cool when Barbie becomes the biggest movie of all time, adjusted for inflation. (The Hollywood Reporter article makes a point in the headline that the figures quoted are not adjusted for inflation.) Barbie may be close to that already. But just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see how it compares to Jaws, the first Star Wars, E.T., and other megahits, when all past figures are put into 2023 dollars. I'm rooting for Barbie, just because it's fun to see records broken.

That will be a pretty much impossible record for it to break. Gone with the Wind has that spot locked up. Adjusted for inflation it’s worldwide box office total is over $4 billion. 

28 minutes ago, Dani said:

That will be a pretty much impossible record for it to break. Gone with the Wind as that spot locked up. Adjusted for inflation it’s worldwide box office total is over $4 billion. 

Pretty much every single person that could see movies saw Gone With the Wind, as well as subsequent revivals during the pre-home video era.

• Useful 1

I finally got around to see it. I was going to go a few weeks ago but I got Covid :(, so had to wait until I could go again.

Anyhow, I heard it was good but wasn't sure if I'd like it. I did. it's cute movie and the cast was good. I laughed at parts, cried at others. It was great to get to see this in the theater before it left. I forgot how much I missed the experience to see a blockbuster in a theater (it's been a while). It was interesting despite the movie being out for a few months it was a pretty packed showing, though it was one of only a few showtimes for Barbie left at this theater.

I totally related to America Ferrara's speech. As a thirty something year old girl, I know what it is like to be judged and always feeling like I'm doing something wrong. I had a nice discussion with my mom (who went with me to see it) regarding this.

One mild complaint I had was the stuff was with Will Farrell. Most of the movie was more serious (not exactly the right word?) but then he & CEO teams come in and are stupid. Like they can't figure how to jump over the entrance thing and it's cartoony. But it is supposed to be the real world at that point.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie and was glad to finally see it.

• Like 6
On 7/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I really thought American's character was dealing with grief (say the death of her mother) and that is why she was preoccupied with death at the particular moment in her life. I was surprised that it didn't seem to be the case. 

I thought it was going to be her husband (the girls father) as it almost seemed like they were setting up that she was a single mother and her daughter was rebelling. But it was due to both of them feeling a loss. As for the first part with them they talked as if he was gone, it was almost in past tense. But then he turns out to still be alive. Which I was surprised about.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen the movie yet so I will probably spring for the digital purchase, even at the inflated price. I’m going to want to watch the movie in segments instead of sitting through it in the theater. I’ve lost patience with sitting through a movie. I like to pause. I like to knit at the same time. Would rather do it at home. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

IMO, it should at least be nominated [although lighthearted movies tend to be overlooked by the Oscars!], even if it probably wouldn't win.

For whatever reason, the Academy seems to love dark/edgy/tragic films more than comedies.

I would be shocked if it doesn't win best comedy at the Golden Globes, though. The lighter movies tend to get their due at the Golden Globes.

Ryan Gosling for best supporting actor in a comedy/musical, please!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
23 hours ago, Trini said:

There was supposed to be new footage shown; care to share? 

It was post-credits

Spoiler

behind the scenes footage. I hadn't seen most of it floating around on the internet so it was a treat seeing it for the first time. There was nothing added to the movie (as far as I can tell).

• Like 1

It wasn't one "scene" per se. It was part blooper reel, part behind the scenes clips, and part bits that were cut out. For instance Ryan Gosling ad-libs other lines besides "Sublime!" at his Mojo Dojo Casa House. When Barbie says she's not in love with Ken, Will Ferrell and the other Mattel execs ask, "can she fall in love with one of our other brands?" After various suggestions, they settle on Thomas the Tank Engine.

There's a funny part where Ryan is playing the keyboard while another Ken is singing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", but with the lyrics changed to "Boys Just Wanna Have Fun." At the end there's a very, very brief clip of Midge in the hospital presumably giving birth, and Helen Mirren comes in trying to stop it or cover up the camera. It was too short for me to really see everything happening or which other characters were there. I wish that clip had been longer.

• Like 4

Just saw this for my birthday. Loved it. I felt like the Ruth Handler history was handled well and that Robbie and Gosling were amazing. I also felt that this could have been a Speed Racer level of disaster so was especially thrilled that it worked so well. I didn’t think it needed Will Ferrell but he didn’t take anything away from the plot. Well done. 

• Like 1

A few quotes from the production team at Deadline:

The production team behind Barbie were on hand at Deadline’s Contender’s London event today to reveal some of the secrets behind the smash hit’s unique journey and what set it on the road to becoming the year’s biggest movie at the box office.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/barbie-margot-robbie-greta-gerwig-hunger-originality-1235566580/

And a short clip of the panel here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyF_YkitoI5/

Grammy Award nominations for Barbie the Album, and Barbie:

“Barbie” had as big a look with the Grammys as it’s likely to have with the Oscars, with 12 nominations for the music of the film — 11 for the soundtrack album or its songs and one additional one for the Mark Ronson/Andrew Wyatt instrumental score. Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” landed five nominations all by itself, appearing in two top marquee categories, record of the year and song of the year, as well as pop solo performance, music video and song written for visual media. Dua Lipa’s “Dance the Night” also got a top nomination, for song of the year. The category of songs written for visual media barely left room for anything else: four of five songs there are from “Barbie,” including the aforementioned Eilish and Lipa tracks, plus “Barbie World” and “I’m Just Ken.”

• Like 2

Billie Eilish’s ‘Barbie’ Song, Robbie Robertson’s Scorsese Score Honored at 2023 Hollywood Music in Media Awards
By Paul Grein     November 16, 2023
https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/2023-hollywood-music-in-media-awards-billie-eilish-robbie-robertson-win-1235473365/ 

Billie Eilish and FINNEAS’ “What Was I Made For?” from Barbie won song – feature film at the 2023 Hollywood Music in Media Awards, which were presented Wednesday night (Nov. 15) at The Avalon in Los Angeles.

The hypnotic “What Was I Made For?” (written by Eilish and her brother FINNEAS) beat out another song from Barbie, the comic “I’m Just Ken” (written by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt). Atlantic’s soundtrack album from the film also won the soundtrack award.

Edited by tv echo

About Barbie's sound design:

In this exclusive SoundWorks Collection video, we chat with Director Greta Gerwig's sound team including Ai-Ling Lee - re-recording mixer / sound designer / supervising sound editor, Dan Kenyon - sound designer / supervising sound editor and Nina Rice - production sound mixer.

Barbie received The Gotham Global Icon & Creator Tribute at the 33rd Annual Gotham Awards (NYC) on November 27...

“BARBIE” Receives The Gotham Global Icon & Creator Tribute at the 2023 Gotham Awards
The Gotham Film & Media Institute   Nov 27, 2023

Margot Robbie Honors 1964 Barbie on Red Carpet but Says She Couldn't Pick ‘Favorite’ Barbie Style (Exclusive)
By Skyler Caruso and Escher Walcott     November 28, 2023
https://people.com/margot-robbie-honors-barbie-1964-look-gotham-awards-exclusive-8407253 

The actress, 33, was the epitome of elegance in a retro Barbie-inspired look at the Gotham Awards in New York City on Monday night. Robbie wore a black strapless dress and sheer cape with a bow at the neckline by fashion house Prada. Her look was inspired by 1964 Barbie from the Black Magic Ensemble collection.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Barbie received 9 Golden Globe nominations during this morning's announcements...

Golden Globes 2024: See All the Nominations Here
BY KATEY RICH   DECEMBER 11, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/golden-globes-2024-see-all-the-nominations-here 

... The 81st Golden Globe Awards will air live on CBS and stream on Paramount+ on Sunday, January 7, 2024, at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET.
Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Air
American Fiction
Barbie
The Holdovers
May December
Poor Things

Cinematic and Box Office Achievement
Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossibles - Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Fantasia Barrino, The Color Purple
Jennifer Lawrence, No Hard Feelings
Natalie Portman, May December
Alma Poytsi, Fallen Leaves
Margot Robbie, Barbie
Emma Stone, Poor Things
Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
Robert de Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Roberty Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Charles Melton, May December
Mark Rufalo, Poor Things

Best Director 
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Greta Gerwig, Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives

Best Screenplay 
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach, Barbie
Tony McNamara, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives
Justine Triet and Arthur Harrari, Anatomy of a Fall
Best Original Song 
Addicted to Romance, She Came to Me
Dance the Night, Barbie
I'm Just Ken, Barbie
Peaches, The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Road to Freedom, Rustin
What Was I Made For, Barbie

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Critics Choice Is ‘Barbie’ With 18 CCA Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘Poor Things’ Follow With 13 Each
By Pete Hammond    December 13, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/critics-choice-film-nominations-2023-1235665954/ 

Barbie leads the nominations for the 29th annual Critics Choice Awards with 18, far outdistancing every other film as the Warner Bros. living doll dominates the list with mentions for Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, and five acting mentions including stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling who received two each.

She laughed. “And then I roped Noah (Baumbach, her partner and co-writer) into it, and his reaction was basically, ‘Why are you making us do this?’ But then, as we got going, he said, ‘Oh, this is really fun.’”

But for a while, it was fun that seemed unlikely to be made. “We were in the middle of lockdown, the spring/summer of 2020,” she said. “In that moment, nobody was going to the movies. So there was this feeling that the world that we love of moviegoing and being together doesn’t even exist.” And that, in a way, freed them up to write a seriously wacky script that could find room for nods to everybody from Stanley Kubrick to Marcel Proust. “We thought, well, nobody’s ever gonna let us make this. So then it became, ‘Let’s (write) the greatest script nobody ever makes!’”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

I finally saw this last night on Max. It was totally nuts and funny but dramatic, and all that somehow worked to make a fun movie that was also serious about men and women's places in the world. The "I'm Just Ken" number was great. Is that available to buy digitally? I'm glad to see it made over a billion dollars, especially given the idiotic anti-"woke" naysayers. And it contains the new Doctor of Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa. The only thing is, I've seen Greta Gerwig in at least one recent interview and she seemed very unsure of herself, which makes me wonder how she's become such a good director

• Like 1

Finally saw Barbie. One thing that had puzzled me in the trailer was Ken refusing to believe that a woman could be a doctor, because surely he was accustomed to Barbies having careers. Understanding that it came after he had learned about patriarchy in the real world cleared everything up.

I'm not sure that the logic of the interaction between the real world and Barbie-land ultimately made sense juxtaposed with the concept of Barbie's immortality vs choice to become human. If Barbies are affected by how humans play with them, surely eventually all of them decline or lose their clothes or become neglected somehow? But there were a lot of moments I enjoyed, especially the dance party and Ken's arc.

• Like 2