Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Dinner Dates, Austin Style

This week, Tyler tests each team on their partnership skills in Austin, Texas. The teams are first paired up to sell together all weekend long, and are then sent for a Match.com event, feeding the hungriest singles in Austin. The next day, the teams must switch trucks and sell their partners' food. Then, the elimination comes down to a six dollar deficit.

I hate stupid tasks like switching food trucks. Why should they be good at selling someone else's food?

I agree.  The first season was excellent.  It was a competition of established food truck owners.  Having a bunch of wanna be truck owners does not have the same appeal.   The challenges and speed bumps are not interesting and totally not relatable to the food truck business.   

I would not want to eat from any of these trucks.  Their food may be good but I have no idea because there is very little focus on the quality of their food or if it is viable for this kind of business. 

• Love 1

I agree that this show is no longer as watchable with people who have zero food truck experience. Are viewers supposed to be entertained by watching people flounder haplessly because they have no clue what they are doing most of the time? Fighting over ingredients or what they cost? I sort of dozed through this one.

• Love 3

Did the Military Moms really just expect people to buy their food JUST because they were Military Moms? They didn't even seem to be excited over their food. How did they expect to draw a crowd when even they looked bored.

They are using the military angle and almost guilting customers into buying their lame food.  I would look at the menu and walk away but we see some feeling compelled to order from them.  Are they thinking this a way to support our military?  oy

• Love 5

I cannot remember a single thing the Moms cooked. I only remember Texas and the blue/white teams' menus because they represent their food. You know you're going to get BBQ from the Texas gang. So far, the Texas people are the only ones I can see having a successful food truck business. Even the beach crew, who apparently have good food, are screwups. The woman who bought the truck in Venice without first finding out what type of truck she needed to follow the local zoning laws, etc.

I though Austin was supposed to be a hoppin' town.  Looked like Duluth to me (sorry, Duluth).  Aren't there hundreds of live music venues rocking every night?  Why didn't anyone park near those?

Speaking of which I'm tired of the scene and chatter every week where they "find a great slot" and "set up on the fly".  There are licensing considerations and filming permit papers to file everywhere they go.  The sci-fi shop and dead bar may have been the best they could do.

I won't miss the Moms, and credit MiddleEast for stepping up and doing a good job selling the bacon stuff he himself found disgusting. 

• Love 1

Austin probably has strict regulations on where food trucks can park, many cities do. 

I am very glad to see the Moms go.  They even pushed it as they said good bye.  We hope other military wives get into something blah blah blah.  Other military wives will do as they please, for cryin out loud.  You are not stellar inspiration material.  

• Love 4

The Military Moms seemed disengaged and almost defeated partway through the show.  They didn't seem to try, didn't hustle, and I was surprised at their lack of effort.  And the food seemed really, really basic, according to what their team partners said (although I've forgotten now what they said).   PB&J basic.  I wondered if something else was going on.  Anyway, their whole schtick seemed to be, as noted above, guilting people into buying their food.  Not ready for their own truck, for sure.

• Love 3

I think a lot of people believe that running a food truck is easy. It's not. Friends of mine bought one, sold it in less than a year. The woman who bought it had it up and running for three days, saying it was too hot to work in a truck. It's now sitting behind her house, unused. It's a small environment, you have no idea how much food to prep on any given day, the weather wreaks havoc with your customer flow... so many variables. It's hard to make a living that way unless you've got a good crew to help you.

• Love 2

Like cooksdelight, I cannot keep my attention on this show anymore.  I record it and just watched, while also baking cookies, doing laundry and answering emails.  I don't particularly like any of the contestants, though I think Middle Feast is ok.  There is simply not interest or entertainment value for me anymore.

I'm bailing on the season, since I really don't care who wins.  See y'all in other show threads!

The only thing I got out of that episode was a desire for gelato.

Military Moms food seemed lackluster.  I'm a huge advocate of supporting military families, but I'd rather send a donation to the American Legion or the Fisher House.  I have no doubt that my grilled cheese is tastier than theirs.  Ditto my PB&J and my hot dogs. But, I tend to blend multiple cheeses on artisan breads and I'm a sucker for church fair or farmer's market jams.

At this point, I think Cali's going to win.  They are the ones taking advantages of social media.  Cali, Madres and Middle Feast are the trucks making food that might be harder to find in some parts of the country.  I'd like to see Madres or Middle Feast win, but they need to step up their games.

• Love 3

I think a lot of people believe that running a food truck is easy. It's not. Friends of mine bought one, sold it in less than a year. The woman who bought it had it up and running for three days, saying it was too hot to work in a truck. It's now sitting behind her house, unused. It's a small environment, you have no idea how much food to prep on any given day, the weather wreaks havoc with your customer flow... so many variables. It's hard to make a living that way unless you've got a good crew to help you.

It makes me think of Restaurant Impossible. So many people think they can just open a restaurant without any experience, & really, a food truck is just a mobile restaurant. I don't really understand it, why do people think that they can just start a business with no experience?

• Love 2

I also thought the "non-reaction" to Tyler's announcement that the Mom's profits from the weekend were going to be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project was strange.  I don't know if the Mom's "meh" reaction was due to the (most likely) small amount of money, or if they still were gobsmacked that people didn't feel obligated to buy from them to show "military support".

I generally don't buy food out if it's something I make at home.  So, no, I won't shell out any amount of money for a PB & J or a grilled cheese from a food truck no matter what it says on the side of the truck.

Edited by rhofmovalley
  • Love 2

Did the Military Moms really just expect people to buy their food JUST because they were Military Moms? They didn't even seem to be excited over their food. How did they expect to draw a crowd when even they looked bored.

I think they really did. The whole "murica, fuck yeah" rah rah stuff was their only angle. The could have played up the comfort food, taste of home angle and probably done reasonably well. But PB&J, grilled cheese and sloppy joes aren't really going to cut it. If they had some sort of amazing grilled cheese done differently, you can build a whole empire (see http://meltbarandgrilled.com ) on it, but it's got to be done well. I think we didn't see a lot of what the Texas truck kept saying about the moms not wanting to move, not being concerned about lack of sales, just so FN didn't have to show military spouses not giving a damn and expecting to succeed just because their husbands are in the army. 

I liked the partnership of Feast and Bacon, that was a very smart choice and Feast were troopers when they had to sell pork. I like Madre, but seriously, wandering around looking like a stereotype and waving a flag just kind of makes you look crazy. 

• Love 3

I liked the partnership of Feast and Bacon, that was a very smart choice and Feast were troopers when they had to sell pork. I like Madre, but seriously, wandering around looking like a stereotype and waving a flag just kind of makes you look crazy. 

Plus, they've been in So Cal and two Southwestern cities and not once have they tried reaching out to the local Mexican communities to come out and try some real-deal Mama's recipe goodies?  The Madras guy seemed gobsmacked that the beach bunnies thought to mention that their truck was there on social media.  That might not work out for them so much in OK City but it might have in Tucson.

I also thought the "non-reaction" to Tyler's announcement that the Mom's profits from the weekend were going to be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project was strange.  I don't know if the Mom's "meh" reaction was due to the (most likely) small amount of money

Makes me wonder if Food Network could afford it.

Then, the elimination comes down to a six dollar deficit.

I wonder if the producers slipped Madres Mexican Meals the extra six dollars.

Plus, they've been in So Cal and two Southwestern cities and not once have they tried reaching out to the local Mexican communities to come out and try some real-deal Mama's recipe goodies?  The Madras guy seemed gobsmacked that the beach bunnies thought to mention that their truck was there on social media.  That might not work out for them so much in OK City but it might have in Tucson.

I think they had a Spanish radio station at the Venice beach stop, and their family, but nothing after that. 

All Madres needed to do was look online for Spanish radio stations in the city they were heading to. That's not rocket science. That would have given them an "in" to find out what events or hot spots were around the city. And to broadcast that they were there.

• Love 2

"We didn't get the military support we were expecting".

I don't understand how not buying a hot dog or a PB & J means people don't "support" the military.

The patriotic, idiotic, flag waving grilled cheese PBJ pink shirt guilt tripping Moms can go home and STFU with their entire "support the military" shite.  I would've given the Madres $6 for nothing just to see them beat out the MMs and their mediocre (and that is charitable) menu.   Blech.

• Love 5

The patriotic, idiotic, flag waving grilled cheese PBJ pink shirt guilt tripping Moms can go home and STFU with their entire "support the military" shite.  I would've given the Madres $6 for nothing just to see them beat out the MMs and their mediocre (and that is charitable) menu.   Blech.

LOL  and I agree.  I don't think the Madres are going to last much longer though.  They seem nice enough but not too bright.  Mama doesn't seem to do anything but walk around out front waving the flag.  You'd think they'd want to make it look like an authentic Mexican Mama is cooking even if she isn't and have her in the truck.

I seem to change my mind every week.  I started out not liking the bacon guys or the Feast crew and now they're my favorites.  I do wish they'd all shave though.  I prefer food servers to look like they bathe. 

• Love 1
So, no, I won't shell out any amount of money for a PB & J or a grilled cheese from a food truck no matter what it says on the side of the truck.

I really don't understand buying PB&J and grilled cheese sandwiches from anyone. Even the concept of mac & cheese (regardless of the type of classic) cheese just reminds me of the blue box. The blue box is what I use when I don't want to put much effort into my meal and I have milk in the fridge. (sometimes its not even an option)

This episode was so boring, I just jumped to the end. I don't know why Tyler didn't emphasize that the bonus $100 the Madres earned by selling from the other truck was the difference.

• Love 1

I think that eliminating the Military Moms is the greatest act of patriotism that the show could have performed. Having them off TV screens is doing the troops a huge favor by not having those idiots embarrass military personnel everywhere.

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 5

None of these teams are thinking outside of the box for locations - in previous seasons trucks have set up at Costco and done well. No one was on 6th - presumably they couldn't?

And there's a real failure in menu diversity. I don't know what the Military Moms were serving. Three trucks are doing Mexican food. If I was around all the trucks, I'd go for MiddleFeast

MiddleFeast is growing on me, as I wasn't too impressed at first. But their food sounds really good. And I'm a southern girl, so the Texas BBQ truck is something I'd check out as well. I prefer a vinegar-based sauce, however, and I think theirs is loaded with ketchup and brown sugar, from the appearance.

• Love 1

I don't even know what the bacon truck serves.  And 3 trucks are doing Mexican food?  Can anyone give me a quick run down on what their menus are?

The BBQ is obvious.  I can guess what Madras has, huevos rancheros and probably tacos, quesadillas and the usual.  meh   I make that stuff at home all the time. 

Middle Feast I know nothing about.  The editing on this show is one of its many flaws.  

• Love 1

Here's the only rundown I could find on what they serve, which doesn't tell much. And I hardly ever pay attention to their prices since they change them so frequently.

Beach Cruiser[7] is from Venice, CA and serves authentic, fresh California cuisine dishes.

Chatty Chicken[8] is from Chattanooga, TN and serves fried chicken with sweet tea sauce and southern dishes. Chatty Chicken was eliminated in week one in Venice, CA after initially failing to purchase enough oil to deep-fry their chicken and then losing time having to double-back to their truck twice while buying more.

Let There Be Bacon[9] is from Cleveland, OH and serves bacon-inspired dishes.

Lone Star Chuck Wagon[10] is from Houston, TX and serves BBQ, Tex-Mex, and much more.

Madres Mexican Meals[11] is from Norwalk, CA and serves authentic Mexican dishes.

Military Moms[12] is from Fort Drum, NY and is made of moms whose husbands or sons are deployed in military. They serve comfort food. The team was eliminated in week three for picking a bad location with the Lone Star Chuck Wagon and because Madres won $100 in the Truck stop truck swap.

The Middle Feast[13] is from Los Angeles, CA and serves Middle Eastern food dishes.

The Gourmet Graduates is from Providence, RI and, true to their name, are recent graduates from a cooking college. They serve cafeteria food with a gourmet twist. The Gourmet Graduates were eliminated in week two in Tucson, Arizona for being unable to market their team very well and for their overconfidence for choosing to not sell during their last hours.

• Love 1

Thanks cook.  I tried to find more detail and came up empty, too.  I find it odd that the site does not give these details, this is about food, after all.  Well, maybe not.  That is probably why I don't think this is a stellar show.  The first season was excellent then it lost the plot.  

• Love 1

Ah, production monkeys.  Thank you for hinting last week that the Lone Star Chuck Wagon was going to EAT IT in Austin. suckers came in fourth in Texas.  I guess, why buy BBQ, TexMex, etc from a truck when you have your favorite joint down the street.

• Love 1

Bacon seems to be serving a burger and a pancake with bacon in it, the moms were serving sloppy joes and PB&J with a spicy jelly. I think we all know fish tacos/fired avos are being served. No clue with the 3rd option is at any truck. 

• Love 1

Fostersmom - I do remember the militart moms were serving grilled cheese as well.

ETA:  I saw my typo & thought it was kinda funny, if not entirely appropriate for these moms.  :~)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

Military Moms food seemed lackluster.  I'm a huge advocate of supporting military families, but I'd rather send a donation to the American Legion or the Fisher House.  I have no doubt that my grilled cheese is tastier than theirs.  Ditto my PB&J and my hot dogs. But, I tend to blend multiple cheeses on artisan breads and I'm a sucker for church fair or farmer's market jams.

No kidding - buying a sandwich at your truck is not exactly proof of my support for the troops. Do your proceeds (or part of) go towards a particular organization that directly supports the military? Also, is there anything special about your PB&J? Peanut butter you grind yourself? Homemade jelly? I hope so, because otherwise charging $5 for  JIF and Smuckers creation is a total rip off. Clearly, I paid no attention to how they were marketed on the show.

Other than the beach people thinking they're super hot (and, yeah, the one has a lovely body, but the dude needs a personality and a cosmetic makeover) and the Middle Feast guy seeming pretty decent...I still have zero impression of most of these people.

I'm just watching out of habit and to see how strangely Tyler acts. He really has seemed a bit off in shows I've seen him in recently.

• Love 1

Sorry - since I brought it up.  Madres are serving Mexican food.  Lone Star BBQ is serving primarily Tex-Mex (tacos, quesadillas), despite their name. They don't serve any barbeque.  The surfers truck is getting by on fish tacos, which are also Mexican food.  I have yet to see anyone eating one of their fried avocados.  Because, frankly, yuck.

If I saw all these trucks lined up, I'd go check out Middle Feast first.  Because they might have some food that I don't have at home.

It's the show's epic fail that having picked these contestants out, they haven't told us what makes their food great.  I assume that there was something unique about the MM's peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but we will never know.

• Love 1

Yeah.  I don't think their food is all that good.  In past seasons we saw chefs tasting their food and awarding prizes or advantages for the best.  

Middle eastern food is typically VERY salty and easily found. All of their food can be obtained in every franchise food chain in the US.   

On shark tank Barbara invested in a truck that sold only lobster rolls.  They grew to include more trucks and it is a multi million dollar business.  You don't have to have a huge variety, you just have to offer a superior product that is not readily available.  

None of these people really get the food truck craze.  

• Love 1

Since the food is being discussed and previews are out for the next episode, I think it is okay for me to post here. I was able to try two of the trucks in OKC. I didn't think to grab a bunch of pictures but I did grab a couple. I tried to paste my photos in my post but was unsuccessful. If someone can help me, that'd be awesome.

Anyway, this is a photo I took of the food I had from Beach Cruisers and Let There Be Bacon.

For those curious, the fried avocados are actually called frosted fried avocados. They were breaded with frosted flakes crumbs and I'm assuming flash fried. They were ridiciously delicious.

I'll wait to post more until the OKC episode airs and post in there.

• Love 5

wings707 that lobster truck crew was on an early episode this season, in case you missed it. They were secretly tasting everyone's food in Venice. I recognized them right away, and they are doing very well now. I agree that this bunch just doesn't get it, for whatever reason.

And to whoever mentioned watching Tyler acting strange.... I've noticed it too. He bobs his head like a pigeon when he talks, for emphasis or something, but it's becoming a distraction for me personally.

I'll wait to post more until the OKC episode airs and post in there.

Thanks, that is the appropriate time to do so. We look forward to your comments once the episode airs, as I always wonder what things really taste like. We see so little of the actual food.

• Love 1

And to whoever mentioned watching Tyler acting strange.... I've noticed it too. He bobs his head like a pigeon when he talks, for emphasis or something, but it's becoming a distraction for me personally.

Maybe he received some unfortunate acting tips from Vincent D'Onofrio of the L&O franchise fame. "Here's what you do for maximum effect, Tyler. You tilt your head almost all the way to your elbow, bobble a few times, and start talking in. weird. little. halting. phrases. as. you. solve. a. problem. Like this: So. Beach Cruisers. you. fried. avo.cado. when. you. were. fourteen. and. this. made. you. determined. to. become. chefs. and. you. win. the. challenge."

• Love 2

I thought Beach Cruisers emphasized fresh, healthy California cuisine.  I'm baffled how coating an avocado in frosted flakes and frying it makes it healthy.  Didn't they initially go nuts about having to serve hot dogs and having to switch to another truck because that food wasn't fresh and healthy?

• Love 1

I thought Beach Cruisers emphasized fresh, healthy California cuisine.  I'm baffled how coating an avocado in frosted flakes and frying it makes it healthy.  Didn't they initially go nuts about having to serve hot dogs and having to switch to another truck because that food wasn't fresh and healthy

They deep fry the avocado coated with frosted flakes?  Or do they fry them on the griddle?  Either way, yuck.  Just curious. 

wings707 that lobster truck crew was on an early episode this season, in case you missed it. They were secretly tasting everyone's food in Venice. I recognized them right away, and they are doing very well now. I agree that this bunch just doesn't get it, for whatever reason.

Damn, I did miss that episode.  Thanks. Whose food did they like the best or what was their critique?