Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Dinner Dates, Austin Style

They have a grill so just slop some BBQ sauce on stuff and call it a day.  I thought they made mostly Mexican stuff though.  

I love it when food trucks come to town.  We have some good ones.  Jamaican, Cuban, Empanada Truck (oh so good) and another that sells random Latin things like arepas and rice with pigeon peas.  The trucks on this show are hopelessly boring. 

Beach Cruiser[7] is from Venice, CA and serves authentic, fresh California cuisine dishes.

"Authentic" Californian cuisine seems like a weird term, as Californian is all about hybrids, fusion, appropriation and reinterpretation of other cuisines. The notion of authenticity would go against what it is about.

Also, is there anything special about your PB&J? Peanut butter you grind yourself? Homemade jelly?

Making your own ingredients? That's downright un-American. Those things come out of jars from Costco, just like God intended.

• Love 2

Middle eastern food is typically VERY salty and easily found. All of their food can be obtained in every franchise food chain in the US.   

Don't know what franchise food chains you're thinking of, because I have never seen Middle Eastern food at a BK, Wendy's etc. I think that most people with mainstream taste are afraid of Middle Eastern food because of its reputation for being spicy. (lots of garlic). Some years ago I was living in the Midwest, and picked the only Middle Eastern restaurant in town for an office lunch. People were horrified, like I wanted them to eat fried lizard.

Ditto to what everyone has said about Military Moms. They had no marketing ideas other than to roll into every town and try to call up veterans organizations. And no thought given to their food. They lucked out in Tucson by parking in front of an VFW hall, where their "support the military" line of BS got people to pay a ridiculous amount of money for what you'd put in a 7 year old's lunch bag.

To me, "comfort food" is the most meaningless cliché, because it means something different to everyone. It's what you grew up with, which can vary widely depending on where you lived or ethnic background.

I like the girl from Beach Cruisers who's always out there hustling. She really knows how to work it, if she could get people in that hipster bar to pay for food when the bar was giving it away free. Kudos to her, and if you're pretty and have a nice smile nothing wrong with using that. She's the only reason her team has won two weeks in a row. I don't think it's the food. And God, is their chef annoying and full of himself.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

I wasn't clear.  All the other trucks food can be found in franchise restaurants.  Middle Eastern food, no.  I don't find it spicy.  Hummus, babaganoush, falafel, lamb dishes with rice, etc.  

• Love 1

They deep fry the avocado coated with frosted flakes? Or do they fry them on the griddle? Either way, yuck. Just curious.

I tried fried avocado at a local place, because my very dear friend raved about it and the fried avocados.

Let's just say, I wanted to punch her in neck after I tried it. It was disgusting!

I love avocados but not fried.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

There's a Mexican restaurant in Conyers, GA which makes a fried avocado appetizer that is to die for. Very light coating of something that is crunchy, with a dipping sauce. Goes great with a margarita. So I think some places can do it right, and maybe this food truck is one of them?

• Love 1

There's a Mexican restaurant in Conyers, GA which makes a fried avocado appetizer that is to die for. Very light coating of something that is crunchy, with a dipping sauce. Goes great with a margarita. So I think some places can do it right, and maybe this food truck is one of them?

Maybe.

At the place I went to, the coating was light and crispy, but the texture of the warm avocado was not for me. Everything else on the menu was delish.

For those curious, the fried avocados are actually called frosted fried avocados. They were breaded with frosted flakes crumbs and I'm assuming flash fried. They were ridiciously delicious.

I'm wondering what "frosted flakes crumbs" refers to here. I would be inclined to think they are probably coated in Panko bread crumbs. But we'd need more information.

I'm wondering what "frosted flakes crumbs" refers to here. I would be inclined to think they are probably coated in Panko bread crumbs. But we'd need more information.

It was just crushed Frosted Flakes cereal used in the same way you would Panko bread crumbs. They weren't coated in the crumbs either.