Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Loss

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

As word spreads about the Tillerson murder, Sheriff Joy interrogates the Abbotts, forcing Royal to wager far more than he can afford to lose.

Original airdate 4/22/22

Did the Abbotts always have a dog, this was the first time I noticed.

Everybody is so weird, I can't relate to any of them, except maybe that guy who likes Fritos.

Anybody know why Wayne Tillerson was so in love with that rock, you would have thought he would pay the guy for bringing it to him.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

How did the body come back? did someone on the other side of the hole throw it back?

And why did Royal phoned the police right away after Amy stumbled upon it? I thought he wanted to hide the body, so much so he threw it in a mysterious hole. What changed this time?

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Did the Abbotts always have a dog, this was the first time I noticed.

Everybody is so weird, I can't relate to any of them, except maybe that guy who likes Fritos.

Anybody know why Wayne Tillerson was so in love with that rock, you would have thought he would pay the guy for bringing it to him.

I hated seeing the dog on the couch because in this genre the family’s pet always get killed. ☹️ 
I figured Trevor would turn up. I was half-expecting him to be alive. 
Loved Royal giving Frito Guy what for! 😂

• Love 5
17 hours ago, showme said:

I thought he wanted to hide the body, so much so he threw it in a mysterious hole. What changed this time?

His granddaughter is a witness. Covering up everything would make it worse. Better that she just lies about Grandpa being home.

• Love 1

I'm not a huge Western fan, but I am loving this show so far. I know the stoic cowboy archetype has ben done a lot, but Josh Brolin is really effective and compelling here.

The music choices are great, especially Leonard Cohen's "Avalanche".

"There are no Fritos in the Hole!" is the best thing I've hard on television in awhile.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 9
On 4/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, showme said:

How did the body come back? did someone on the other side of the hole throw it back?

And why did Royal phoned the police right away after Amy stumbled upon it? I thought he wanted to hide the body, so much so he threw it in a mysterious hole. What changed this time?

My guess is that the body will be fresh and that means he was alive the night of the fight, therefore Royal’s son couldn’t have killed him that night.  

Why does the health of Mr. Tillerson see to fluctuate.  One scene he’s on oxygen, In wheelchair, then he’s not and dancing with a rock.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Tillerson and his wheelchair are like SCTV’s Guy Caballero. 
I wish Royal had thrown Tillerson into the hole. 
Why did Tillerson and his wife get divorced? They seem a perfect match.

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My guess is that the body will be fresh and that means he was alive the night of the fight, therefore Royal’s son couldn’t have killed him that night.  

Why does the health of Mr. Tillerson see to fluctuate.  One scene he’s on oxygen, In wheelchair, then he’s not and dancing with a rock.  

The coroner said his tests showed Travis had been dead only ten hours. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm still trying to figure out what was so special about that rock that Tillerson was dancing with.

57 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

The coroner said his tests showed Travis had been dead only ten hours. 

We've already seen some evidence of timey-whimey stuff near the hole -- remember when Royal seemed to lose two hours back in Episode 1.

There are numerous weird things going on all at the same time -- how come no one seems weirded out about that buffalo that just shows up at random ?  Or why Tillerson seemed to be worshipping that buffalo head on his wall ? Or the disappearing/reappearing mountain ?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, paigow said:

flashback 9 months ago... so he is getting worse

Ok , but in the early scene when Royal goes to visit Tillerson, I think first time he’s shown, he’s in bed hooked to oxygen.  Later, after his son is missing, his other son visits to tell him there’s no cell phone activity on missing son’s phone, and he’s up, happy and demanding his son offer Royal a million for the land. Then, when his ex wife arrives, he’s back to oxygen.  

I didn’t understand the scene of the buffalo on the wall, driving into the night, fight, …………

• Love 1

I'm hanging on by a thread with this show... it's trying my patience.  This crap is a mess - it's a mystery that is being dragged out in a most uninteresting way.

I want to slap whatever director is letting Will Patton go over the top with the overwrought acting and having his son break into song at a moments notice.   Two things - the sheriff mentions in the episode that she's allergic to bananas and now I'm going to be waiting for this to be a "Chekhov's gun" situation in an upcoming episode,  2) the son with the missing wife... will wifey be showing up sooner than later?

Was there some really blatant product placement in this episode? They had the actor munching on Fritos, the Budweiser bottles on the card table with Royal and hippie chick (her name escapes me every episode), and the big Coors Light neon sign the camera focused on in the bar during the funeral party.

I hate how everyone is being mean to the sheriff with threats of her losing her job if they don't get special treatment.  It happened in a previous episode and now Will Patton's wife blows into town and is a bitch to sheriff for not instantly solving her son's murder. Bitch, what?  WTF is it with that dumb rock Will Patton is mooning over and Royal is obsessed with the pendant around hippie chicks neck.  Yeesh.

• Love 4
On 4/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, AnimeMania said:

It's too much like Twin Peaks in that regard, where everybody's tuned in to their own frequency nobody else can hear.   Will Patton seems to be evolving his Mothman Prophecies character.   The singing brother is pretty annoying, oh hell the whole family is. 

8 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I want to slap whatever director is letting Will Patton go over the top with the overwrought acting and having his son break into song at a moments notice.

Too kind a remedy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This is the episode where they started to lose me. 

Royal's actions defy normal human behavior. If I found some giant time hole on my property the very first thing I would do is go running to tell anyone who would listen "Hey, come look at this giant time hole I found." Why isn't he telling anyone about it? I keep waiting for an answer.

That poker scene with Autumn was so bizarre I kept expecting it to turn out to be a dream sequence. Royal just wanders into . . . some darkened room, where Autumn happens to be playing with faceless men, who just get up and stand back in the shadows while Royal and Autumn play one on one? WTF? How did he even know she was there? The whole thing was surreal. 

And I don't know what the blue dilly fuck was going on at the end between Royal and Wayne. The latter, dancing around like some weirdo, Royal, just happens to be there. The usual "knocks him down but then turns his back just long enough for the guy to get up and get the best of him." Good grief. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I think I'm done. I tried. This has the stink of trying too hard, but it's not achieving anything.

I am curious about how the sheriff will inevitably be killed by bananas, though, since that was set up.

Edited by WritinMan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I am curious about how the sheriff will inevitably be killed by bananas, though, since that was set up.

Somebody from the future will send a truck full of bananas through the hole... actually, the truck will kill her...

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2022 at 9:34 PM, paigow said:

Somebody from the future will send a truck full of bananas through the hole... actually, the truck will kill her...

On 5/7/2022 at 9:42 AM, Ottis said:

Yeah, the bananas and the sheriff is definitely coming back.

I actually had a staff member call in sick the other day saying she had an allergic reaction to...bananas.  And I was like...is she..,watching this show? Or actually allergic to bananas?

Emotion Reaction GIF

• LOL 4

Deirdre O'Connell is the ex-wife. I love her! She just won the Tony for Best Actress a couple weeks ago. She'd damn good and rotten, like the rest of the Tillersons.

Will Patton's crazy reminds me very much of Dean Norris, in "Under the Dome" and Dean Norris in "Claws." Maybe Dean Norris wasn't available to play the part.

I also just saw Noah Reid (Billy) in a Broadway play, "The MInutes," in which he plays a newbie to a town council. Not as simple as Billy, but an innocent.

• Useful 1